Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You could have them sand blasted and then just paint them silver or gun metal grey, that would probably look good. I used this wheel paint on the wheel covers of my xB and they turned out great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041DK4IA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dang kaker, do you have concrete around your entire house? Perfect for cars, I would love that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like it worked :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat, nice. It looks completely black in the first pic wow.

Are you getting any interest in your cars still or have things dropped off because of this Corona poo poo?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

What's slower, a 4 door 3.5 liter PZ Land Cruiser or this 2.8 3L Hilux? I'm used to slow!

Kei trucks are faster than that diesel Hilux. Seriously.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm just saying, back when I worked in Japan we had a few diesel Hiluxes and a bunch a kei trucks and the kei trucks were usually quicker.

The Hilux is still a great truck it's just really slow, but if slow doesn't really bother you it's not even an issue then.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Have you driven a 4 door PZ Cruiser though? I ask because those bastards are ultra heavy and also powered by a naturally aspirated diesel, and as a result are quite slow. The 2.4 2L-TE in our big Prado was also quite slow and down to 2.4 liters of displacement, but was at least turbo.
I just wonder because this single cab Hilux is only missing .7 liters of displacement but is carrying probably a couple hundred pounds less.
Kei trucks aren't slow like a big NA diesel is slow, since the keis don't weigh anything they can get away with hilariously low displacement. When you have a 40~ hp kei truck vs a 114~ HP Land Cruiser I just wonder the difference in how they perform.

The Hilux trucks we had were base model single cab, short bed 2wd MT with column shifter, so the smallest and lightest possible. I just remember them having no power band whatsoever, flooring it and being like wtf. But at least they were normal sized and comfortable, the Kei trucks sucked for that but scooted better than the Hilux.

I don't really think it's going to matter for that truck you got tho, whoever buys it is going to want it for a dependable 4wd. It's the perfect truck for someone with lots of acreage on a farm or something and will be a great work truck. I wouldn't want one for a daily driver tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

This thing is SO SERIOUS. It feels like driving around some jacked bouncer around. The few Jeep people I've seen so far while being out and about are not enthusiastic at all to see it, though the typical diesel boys get a kick out of it. It is an extremely deliberate feeling vehicle. Compared to the Rugger which feels like a happy puppy jumping side to side this Cruiser feels like one of those zen master dudes that rakes rock gardens. Non-turbo diesel, 5 speed manual, electric winch this time, AC, and most importantly ~soft top~. I love it so.

I see the windshield has hinges to fold down.....So I'm assuming the roof and B pillars a detachable as well? Do the doors appear to come off easily?

Would love to see it in full convertible mode hint hint :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you guys seen any Suzuki Cultus GTi's? It was the Swift GT here, great cars for motorsports if you can find any snatch them up you'd probably be able to get them cheap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah gently caress safety this is automotive insanity

:rolleyes:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

....and look what happened 4 hours ago down the street from me:

Notice what's missing? Yeah, the outriggers. Or maybe they're just very shorted. Either way, a series of bad decisions, it landed on a car, multiple injuries and a $1.5M truck that is surely scrap now.

All to hang a loving flag over an open public highway for a few hours.

(NO, this is not my fire department, but it is the one the services my new house)

Jesus Christ.....there has to be more than three or four people involved in that decision, it baffles me sometimes that accidents like that happen because of mental failures by multiple people, and/or people too scared to tell the boss he's being and idiot

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Find a good diesel mechanic, no shame in saving your sanity by having it properly diagnosed and fixed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You'd think there would be some sort of checklist before loading the car, like making sure the hood is secure. Should have been pretty obvious too that it wasn't latched, the guy either has very poor observational skills or he just doesn't give a poo poo. I'd guess the later.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he just made an honest mistake. It happens all the time to everyone so perhaps this was his time. Like I said this is 8th? Car we've had him transport and every other one has been delivered perfectly. The issue is he could take responsibility and immediately tried to make it that we were taking advantage of him. We just wanted the car delivered like always.

Oh I didn't realize it was the same driver I thought it was just the same company with different drivers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a road trip van right there

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like that van gonna need tires, the cracks are scary looking

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

That Lexus is awesome.

So, cool car buying friends, is there a good way to tell if you can fit into that Autozam without actually sitting in one? I do love small cars, especially tiny sports cars, but I'd be extremely worried that my body type is more Buick, less Suzuki.

I'd say try sitting in a miata first, if you can't fit into one of those comfortably an Autozan aint gonna work

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kinda surprised the Sera didn't get some decent alloy wheels from the factory, it looks pretty bland with plastic wheel covers.

Also wanna see pics of that Lancia Delta in the background of those port shots :swoon:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

You and me both, MAYBE one day I could think about a Lancia but dang, a Land Cruiser you kind of just look at and go "WOW WORK IDIOT" and its fixed. A Delta Integrale though? Pretty spooky if I'm honest.

Well honestly if you're gonna actually get one you should expect issues, have some money in the bank just for the car and a good mechanic that could actually fix it lined up.

Would be totally worth it imo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The FB market is so goddamned terrible. Everyone honestly thinks that "$500 RN" will get them a car. Like the act of putting it on FBM is me being clearly in dire need of cash. I sold the MS6 for a bit under $5K but I had a dozen of those offers below half my asking price.

I've actually had better luck on FB selling poo poo than I have on CL, seems like way more eyes are on FB market at least.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

I have also, but the ease/immediacy for FB messenger communication seems to embolden idiots.

Yeah I've noticed that too but I just don't respond, usually the first message you can tell right away so i don't even bother.

Probably has a lot to do with using my wife's FB account for it tho, if I had one I'd be quicker to tell people to gently caress off :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol any buyer that brings up KBB for anything other than a driving appliance like a Camry or Corolla is automatically ignored by me.

Miatas are notorious for being valued ridiculously low on KBB, anyone that knows anything about them knows KBB is a crock of poo poo. Funny that I sold a 95M for 10k that KBB said was worth only 4.5k in excellent condition!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Uh yeah it’s pretty obvious he’s doing it on purpose for comedic effect and it usually is pretty funny

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They will probably want to see the car in person for a quick visual inspection and then give you a Florida title.

At least that's what they do with out of state cars, I imagine it will probably be the same or close to that procedure.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

30 minutes is a long test drive lol, I'd start getting nervous wondering if they were in an accident or something.

Do you see a lot of gas Prados or are they mostly diesel?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd get rid of the bull bar and those rusty lights as well, it's distracting and would look way better without it imo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I hate that you were right. Took the bull bar off, does look better. Still haven't cleaned it yet but I've got a whole heap of new brake parts (including new rotors) and suspension bits and absorbers that I am NOT going to install myself. No shame in having a professional that I trust with a lift to do poo poo I don't want to do :colbert:

Wow much better, nice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

I was legit thinking about a Mazda Familia GTX (of the good generation 1990-94), but come to find out I’m about 5years too late to see any of the good models anymore for a decent price. :colbert:

I guess a four door one went for about $8k USD in the past few months, but it’s the two door 1.8 hatch that drives my heart.

You and I both. I was looking for awhile and gave up, you'd be better off looking for a GTX/GTR already in North America for sale because it seems like most of the JDM cars have been imported out of Japan already.

Do you still have the 323 you swapped a BP into? I've been looking for USDM cars as well but BG cars (especially 323s) are rare as hen's teeth now if you still have it hold on to that fucker or sell it to me :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

I wouldn’t be looking if it was still in the stable.

Well that sucks. Are you still a mod for club protege? They sent me a happy birthday email not long ago :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ the JDM market is getting ridiculous, R34s are going for $200k now?

The people driving the market have bigger bank accounts than they do brains, I mean GTRs are cool and all, but why spend that kind of money on a loving Nissan because you were good at Gran Turismo once when you were a kid and now have some money. The import dealers are laughing all the way to the bank at these idiots.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's all emotional based purchasing because who in their right mind would pay over $200k for a 20 year old GTR when you can get an almost brand new and much better GTR for half that?

I mean I get the nostalgia thing to a point but this is ridiculous, there's a very good chance the bubble will burst and those cars won't ever be worth that again in a very long time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But there are far less GTOs and Hemi Cudas left and they are a hell of a lot older too, and most of them aren't even driven anymore at this point. They are also very well documented and people know what they are getting.

Paying 200k for a ragged on 20 year old GTR is not even near the equivalent, the import dealers are taking advantage and are selling these cars sight unseen because of people making emotional and uninformed purchases and the only people benefiting from it are the dealers.

I can guarantee you that if I buy a 1970 Hemi Cuda now it will without a doubt be worth more in ten years, do you think you can honestly say that about a 2001 GTR at this point? Sorry but I just don't see it happening. I know you're biased because you're a dealer but even you aren't approaching the ridiculous inflated levels that are going on with the sports cars. Exclusivity isn't that big of a deal because I rarely see new GTRs to begin with it's not like they are Corvettes. I think it's more of a fanboy Fast n Furious thing honestly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GTOs are 50 years old tho they have an excuse :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It’s rarity too tho. Hemis in certain packages are extremely rare that’s why they go for ridiculous money. I saw a convertible hemi go for over a million but it was all original with ridiculously low miles. If you can find an R34 that’s all original with super low miles I can see it but good luck with that. The cars these guys are pimping out are poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

There is absolutely nothing inherent to a Hemi that makes it worth more than a GTR and as pointed out, it's a significantly worse car. If you're OK with Hemi prices but not OK with GTR prices then that's you being a boomer. It's absolutely the exact same thing. You can't be for one and not the other without invoking some sort of emotional response of your own.

I'm not saying I was all for it or ok with it, it just makes more sense to me that a 50 year old rare muscle car has more value than a not very rare 20 year old GTR that's just my dumb opinion to add to the conversation. There's nothing emotional for me about it. So lets just agree to disagree instead of making personal jabs ok?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adapt to what? I'm not a dealer like you or a buyer so ultimately I don't give a poo poo because it doesn't affect me either way

Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it tho :shrug:

[e] my whole point was I feel sorry for people that are going to pay 200k for a car that turns out to be problematic piece of poo poo, that's what the instagram you posted is all about, people getting ripped off isn't it? All because of a crazy market and people knee-jerk-emotional purchasing from people taking advantage of a situation. I'm not saying ALL of those cars aren't worth it but my guess is most of them are not, going by that guy's instagram it looks like a crap shoot

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 23, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Same thing with a 20+ year old GTR/Silvia/RX7 from Japan, odds are it's been raced to hell and back every saturday night for most of it's life and needs more than just a good cleaning. It must be a significant problem because that guy is basically pleading with people to ease up and make sure you know exactly what the hell you are getting and don't over pay for these piles of poo poo because it's just driving up the price on everything else

team free spirit posted:

Emotions and fast buying decisions without pushing the brakes and lowering the boost will keep pushing the big money game.
We have to look closely at what we are offered and how it is offered to us.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol. How dare you expose our scam!!!!

It's one thing for a market to increase organically but to intentionally inflate it by putting out garbage with lipstick on it is bullshit.

There's maybe a handful of cars worth the premium, the rest are in between or poo poo but are being sold at the premium price anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's gonna be like the muscle car boom, the only thing left will be rolling shells with questionable histories and owners saying "I know what I got"

Won't be surprised if these dealers start pumping out GTR clones sold as the real thing because there won't be any actual GTRs left to sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It won't have that obviously, it will just be RWD turbo coupes dressed up to look like a GTR, priced like the real thing of course

[e] pretty sure R32 GTR clones are a thing already