Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Monster
EDG: 3/3 PP: 3/5

Monster inadvertantly palms Redline's face out of the way as she sits up. "Like hell it's taken care of!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.

Soiled Meat

Wrangler Hax
EDG: 2/2 PP: 4/5

"It is on the road, and good to go. I didn't lock the brakes in the back, but nothing I can do about that now. Nor anyone, since we got a few tons behind us that is deciding to stop." He says in a unconcerned voice as he takes out some gum and throws it in his mouth and starts to chew.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Up on top of all the cows, Jinx and Full Stop both use what nature and science gave them and hold on with the strength of several weaker men (like maybe four and a half Haxes). Massive hands grab on to whatever is bolted and welded down to the trailer proper, desperate strength twisting the metal within their grasp. But whatever may come, be it the rain pounding down on top of them, the mud kicked up by slipping tyres, or the wild bucking of the truck as it skids along the track, the two manage to hang on and stay safe from being hurled over the side.

Deftly avoiding the cow crush like she had avoided many a wandering old rich hand groping around her skirt before, Joanna leaps over the bovine crowd and hooks her chrome legs over the lip of the trailer. She is left hanging outside the truck, but sandwiched between the cab and the cows precious little rain hits her. She is left in peace to figure out exactly how this ancient, jimmy rigged tuck was hammered together and where the emergency break was at. And when she is reasonably sure she has found it, years of expertise of spotting out the true valuable amongst junk imitations paying off, she yanks on it as hard as she can.

The wheels on the trailer freeze up and dig into the muddy dirt track, slamming the truck cab back with it. Wrangler and Redline both get thrown back hard against the chairs, and Monster just gets tossed about back into Redline for a second time. The whole thing almost goes tipping over on its side as the engine and the breaks work against each other, the rain and the mud only adding to the beautiful chaos. But the front tyres on the trailer finally dig in too deep, and the whole thing finally comes to a crashing halt as the front end ends up over a foot deep in mud. This is more than what the poorly welded attachment rig can hold, and sees the engined powered cab at the front break free of the trailer and slow to a skidding stop two dozen feet from the now embedded trailer.

The rain continues to fall heavily, and the cows moo in deep discontent.

Truck stopped guys, way to go! You all get one (1) karma point! Narration over, free talk time while you sort this situation out a little bit!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Monster

Monster just lays on Redline's lap, soaking in the crushing disappointment. She raises a pair of fists. They shake with anger. "Goddamnit!!!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1

Jinx takes a moment to lie there, blinking rain out of her eyes and working her fingers loose from her impromptu emergency handle. Then it's back to business.

"Okay. Okay! Is everyone alright? Anyone need first aid?"

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

“I am fine,” the troll says as she picks herself up off the top of the trailer, “but I am thinking maybe our ride is not.” There is a considerable splash of mud when she drops to the ground after climbing perhaps halfway down the side of the vehicle. Examining the busted tow hitch, Full Stop sighs. “Well, no point worrying about this until we have got the trailer unstuck. Somehow,” she adds, realising just how deep it has sunk into the mud.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Soiled Meat

Wrangler Hax

"No need for first aid, just a stiff drink and a very large crane." Wrangler says looking at the situation from the outside of the cab. Rubbing his hands along the wheel and looking for something to go ahead and get traction. "Only way we are getting this out without a crane is with a lot of luck and a lot of planks."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Joanna

As the truck jerks to a halt, Joanna holds her hands against the cab ahead of her to keep her from flopping around like a rag doll. Once they're stopped, she unhooks a foot, then the other, dropping into a handstand and cartwheeling sideways onto the ground. It's am impressive move, really, if only you could see it well. For most of you, it jus looks like she's falling out of the truck.

"Any stop we can walk away from, eh?" she asks, walking over to the rest of the group. It's then that she looks at the truck in the mud. "gently caress. They don't have tow-drones all the way out here, do they?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

The cows continue to moo aggressively, unhappy at being tossed around like that. Thankfully, the trailer is far too stuck in the mud for their angry shuffling to rock it.

The rain above seems to start breaking, the heavy beating raindrops replaced with a lighter shower that covers everything in a vague mist. Looks like the typhoon weather was heading the same direction the truck was heading, and you ended up chasing the storm.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fan of Britches

Jinx

Jinx stands there in the rain for a few moments, contemplating the wrecked trailer and letting the drizzle wash some of the mud and crap off her.

"I have an idea," she says to Full Stop. "But you're not gonna like it."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Soiled Meat

Wrangler Hax

"Oh? This I gotta hear and hopefully be in the cab for." Wrangler side, pulling down his shades and covering his eyes from the intense glare from the sun. He shifted around as he looked about any items strewn around that would allow them to get more friction under the truck. He wasn't going to be pushing this monster out of the mud alone for sure, and he wasn't getting paid enough to at least try to mitigate some effort on all their parts.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

“Honestly,” she tells Jinx, “if it will help us stop being stuck in the middle of nowhere and finish this run, I am not likely to object.”

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fan of Britches

Jinx

"Well, it's pretty simple." Jinx points at the heavy armor covering Veronika. "You've got on Class V carapace, so it should stand up to, uh, being crushed under the truck. Probably."

But wait, it gets better! The elf pivots and gestures at the jacked up trailer. "Once we get the cab out of the mud, we back it up, and then you and I lift a couple of tons of metal and cows to get it back on the trailer. I'm not going to pretend we don't have a lot of mud and cow poo poo in our future. On the plus side, we will be back on our way and not stuck out here, where there's probably cannibal mutants."

Jinx should have gone into sales.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

Veronika sighs and looks down at her armour. “Yes, I don’t believe being run over by a semi-trailer was considered when Ares developed the design specifications for this.”

Shrugging, she removes her poncho and hangs it on whatever hook-like protrusion she can find on the trailer (along with her assault rifle and and an equally outsize combat shotgun) before unbuckling her carapace torso armour. “At least I can try to patch it up a little myself if need be,” Full Stop says, nodding at the compact metal toolbox settled against her hip.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Soiled Meat

Wrangler Hax

"I just want to say..." He said scratching his head and looking at the two much larger and taller women. "... totally not giving part of my share for the armor repair." He gives a wicked grin at them edging away slowly. "Redline seemed to really want to drive, so I will let her take the wheel." He added quickly and nonchalantly as possible.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

“I will remember that should it ever come down to me and my armour being all that stands between you and, say, a horde of hungry cannibal mutants,” she lightly notes.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

With a fantastic and flawless plan, all the remained was to get it going. Preferably before the cannibal mutants start looking for lunch.

I reckon driving the cab clear is probably your standard driving check, unless somebody has a wild idea. And deadlifting the trailer you can go strength+athletics or strength+strength. Probably the former.
Also if anybody else wants to contribute somehow, go for it! Not going to bother with the turn thing since this doesn't really have anything depending on turn order.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Monster

Now given enough time to overcome her shock, Lia rolls out of the cab, jumping over the mud to relatively hard ground. "For the record, I don't think this is safe. gently caress it, though. Hey Redline, you need me to wave to you when you've got traction?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Joanna

"That's...not the most insane plan I've ever heard," Joanna comments, pushing her wet hair back with a hand. She rolls her shoulders and gives Veronika a thumbs up. "Guess the rest of us should be on....cannibal mutant patrol?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Soiled Meat

Wrangler Hax

"Yeah, It makes sense. I'll keep sight down the road." His spiderbot gets out of the truck and crawls over to him scanning down the road. "We got this end covered." He said moving foward so that the truck wouldn't plough into him once if something bad happened.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fan of Britches

Jinx

As $character begins backing the trailer into place, Jinx gets into position to haul. True to form, however, she manages to find a particularly soft spot in the road, and drives herself down into the mud more than she manages to lift the trailer.

Only 3 hits. Who's driving?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

She nods at Joanna before heading over to the cab and lodging her carapace armour beneath (one of) its rear tyres, hopefully providing some much-needed traction and helping to get the truck unstuck from the mud.

I think this is where someone has to make that driving test?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Soiled Meat

Wrangler Hax

"Yo Redline, you are up!" Hax calls out to the woman. She had reallllllly wanted to drive. It was now time to let her show her stuff! Hax flicks a metal gear, most likely a replacement for his bot around his finger as he waits for the truck to start.

Redline is up

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Monster
EDG: 3/3 PP: 3->2/5

Monster waves at the truck cab, calmly at first, but with increasingly forceful fervor as the truck fails to move as desired. "Hey! What are you doing in there?" She shouts in her customary shrill, frustrated manner as she hops a mud puddle and clambers into the cab.

"What's the problem?" She growls. "Never worked something without electronics before? God! Ugh! MOVE!" She forces herself in between Redline and the wheel, caring little for whether she would actually move out of the way or not. Thanks to a lot of time with her oldschool no electronics, no power-steering, no ABS, hacker-proofed truck, the Aussie piece of junk poses little challenge. She rolls down the mostly shattered window, disengages the clutch, and gives the big engine a test rev.

"BACKING OUT!!!!!!"

The sheer volume of air she somehow manages to push out of her lungs is astounding. Her shout can be heard well and clear over the old engine, even with the lack of tonal quality to it. She drops the clutch in and searches for traction.

Using the OUT OF THE WAY! cue and spending a plot point to jump over Redline and try to get the truck out. Piloting 2 + AGI 6 got me 2 hits.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

The trailer was going nowhere at this rate. And the engine wasn't turning over or anything, so nothing was going to be getting free of the mud here. It takes one extraordinary person to grab things by the balls and see that poo poo gets done. And Monster is just that person. No longer content to let self ascribed 'experts' deal with it, Monster settles into Redline's lap and puts the pedal to the floor. A tidal wave of mud and dust is kicked up, spraying up every which way. It probably isn't the best way for Full Stop and Jinx to get the signal to start lifting the trailer, but it does the job. For everybody else, supposedly on lookout duty in case of mutant attack, it probably does little but make things that much harder. But if the dibbles of rain weren't already obscuring the view, then a little more mud and dust wasn't going to hurt things all that much. As far as Hax and Joanna can see, there was nothing jumping up from the wastes to descend upon and eat them.

Yet.

So Jinx got 3 hits, just need the roll from Full Stop and we will see if the trailer is hooked up or if the cab just rammed right into the cows!

Robodog fucked around with this message at Sep 3, 2017 around 03:40

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

It’s not every day that a troll gets shown up by an elf in terms of pure brawn, but…yes, that is pretty much what’s happening here. Full Stop strains and grits her teeth and grunts, and yet she just does not get all that much done in terms of lifting the cow-laden vehicle. It is shameful, really.

STR+STR (lifting the trailer): 10d6t5 2 hits.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Joanna

A plume of mud and dust goes up from behind the cab, sending a cloud drifting past the observation point on the trailer Joanna's bracing herself on. "I'll light the 'WELCOME MUTANT CANNIBAL sign," she comments. Because out here, you can probably see this plume for miles.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Soiled Meat

Wrangler Hax

On the edge of the group he looks back before looking out into the waste, "This is going to be alllll hosed up isn't it."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Between the two muscled amazons, the trailer creaks and moos and lifts off the mud. The cab dutifully slams backwards into the trailer and there is, after the sound of metal crashing into metal, the telltale *click* of a socket and latch fastening together. Looks like they were hooked back up!

2+3=5 successes! Works for me!

With a triumphant toot of the trucks airhorn, everybody climbs back onboard and with an unsteady skid along the mud the truck starts off again.

~

The final light dies with surprising speed, the transition from afternoon to night taking but a few minutes. Thankfully the light was used wisely on fixing the truck, and the junker somehow did have working headlights. Or, more correctly, one single headlight welded on the grille. But it was ungodly bright, lighting up the dirt road in front of them for a clear fifty metres or more. On the one hand, it was reassuring to be able to see so far and so clearly on such a backwards road. On the other, it seemed to indicate that the night was such a danger that the only safe way to be out in it was with such a terribly bright light. If that were the case at least, there seemed to be no mutant bandits or native wildlife on the road so far.

At some point during the night, the last fuzzy pings of the terrible local music radio stations cease to be received. The team were finally too far out to pick up anything on the radio now. In a way, it was only now that they were totally alone. In another way, at least nobody had to listen to that utter shite Australian excuse for music anymore. On the whole, it was probably a win.

Hours pass by and nothing seems to happen. The night continues to be dark, the desert continues to be freezing cold, and the and around them is still utterly barren of life and scenery. The rain had stopped some time ago, leaving only drenched and muddy clothes to be battered by cold desert sand and wind. (And mildly dented, in the case of Full Stop's armour). Not exactly comfortable for those who were riding on top. But besides the pun, this could just turn out to be something of a milk run after all. A long, dull, pain in the rear end one but not like they had been blown up yet or shot at anything. They hadn't even been attacked by a croc! Oz wasn't living up to its reputation.

The sun peaks over the horizon and floods the desert with a pale orange glow. They had driven through the night with no troubles bothering them. But almost to the very second that the sun had broken, a sudden burst of static comes over the radio. "Oi!" A quite muffled and crowded out by audio crackle voice seems to blurt out at them over the radio. "Oi! Yeah, youse cunts the ones in that bloody truck? T'gently caress you doin' here?" The staticy male voice seems a mite bit angry.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Monster
EDG: 3/3 PP: 2/5

Monster grabs the ancient CB radio handset off the dash and takes a moment to clear her throat. Feigning anger was not so easy to pull off without any notice. "Who the gently caress wants to know?" She growls back. "We're delivering cows. If you're not the one that ordered them, you best stand the hell off unless you enjoy being swiss cheese and dying a slow death, copy?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

There is a rather hearty laugh from the angry man over the radio. "Mate, we've got the road mined for the next ten kays. If you don't settle the gently caress down the only thing that'll be swiss out 'ere is you mob." He seems content to let that sink in for a little bit before continuing. "Now, stop playing silly bugger with the dairy jokes an' tell me what the gently caress are you lot doing here? The gently caress you really doin'."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

When it’s not her turn to watch the desert lands around them for signs of trouble (unimpaired by the darkness – thanks, state-of-the-art cybereyes!), Veronika is either snoozing to the best of her ability or tinkering with her armour, repairing the damage it sustained when it went under the truck. Neither task is easy or undertaken in any comfort given the bouncing and rocking semi-trailer the troll is standing/sitting/sleeping on, and yet she is taking it in her stride. “Unflappable” could be her middle name, though it isn’t actually; even by Sixth World standards that’d be kind of odd.

The real question, though, is: will Full Stop remain so serene when she finds out about the trouble this motley crew apparently is coasting into?

Engineering+LOG (repairing her armour): 8d6t5 2 hits.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fan of Britches

Jinx

Jinx has been doing her guard shifts without complaint or event. Mostly she's been scraping mud off her boots. She can make out the radio crackling from down at the end of the trailer, but not quite what's being said.

"Hey," she shouts. "Are we there?"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Monster

"Mines!" Monster screeches over comms, carefully bringing the truck to a stop. "Not there yet! Get up! Watch for an ambush!" She grips the receiver once more, this time speaking a little less harshly. "It's a couple of cows, for real. We're taking them to some town on the coast. The gently caress you want?"

Monster lets go of the button. "Someone's got eyes on us and mines up ahead. Did anyone get our employer's info? Or actually know where we're going?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Soiled Meat

Wrangler Hax

He had been sleeping in the cab and as jerked awake when the word Ambush came out. "Who the gently caress would live here?" He asked while getting up and getting his pistol out and his drone perched on the top of the cab like a turret. It's metal legs latch on to the surface and an array of barrels slowly emerge from its thorax. Wrangler gets up to the short woman who insisted on driving since the accident and hands her the map. "This is about all we got, so there isn't much else we know. Not like the Johnson has to give us his real name."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

She has just finished cinching and buckling her carapace armour back into place when word is relayed from up ahead that trouble is afoot. Full Stop closes her eyes, takes a deep breath, and chuckles resignedly to herself. “Acknowledged. Attempting to visually confirm threat,” she responds via commlink before bringing the scope of her Krupp up to her eye and doing just what she said.

Perception (scanning the horizon!): 12d6t5 4 hits.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Without rain to make the dirt road an outright hazard, slowing the truck down to a gentle stop manages to this time not break anything. Or maybe Monster was secretly the best driver in the crew. There are a few faint moos of discomfort as the cows are shaken awake from their beauty sleep. But it probably beats being hit by a mine. Looking out the busted windshield, Monster wasn't quite sure if there were any or not. But she was hardly in the best position to question that.

The radio contact takes a few moments to reply. "…actual cows? Fucken what?" He genuinely seems confused at the insistence that they were hauling livestock. "Has to be the dumbest poo poo I've ever fucken heard here, mate." One gets the feeling that, were this is person, this guy would be shaking his head and kicking the lot of you out of his sight. "Town on the… you buggers mean Perth? loving seppos…" The radio goes dead for a very disconcerting five minutes. That's a lot of time to be sitting out in the open like this, more or less paint a huge target on themselves. But it was either this, or try some luck driving into a minefield. "Alright. Nobody gets t' Perth without gettin' through us. And frankly, y'sound too fucken stupid to be makin' any of this poo poo up." The voice suddenly concludes, the radio cracking back to life. "We're sending an outrider, don't do poo poo 'till it gets t'ya and keep any guns out of your bloody hands when we get there. We'll bring you in." The man orders. "Then we can look at whatever bullshit cows y'got."

Full Stop has the luck of having about three metres of elevation on an otherwise totally flat landscape. With her scope, she can see for miles around. The only thing stopping her was the low-lying sun, it was just at the right angle to screw up her attempts to scope out the east. But, thankfully, she doesn't reckon there is much out there to see anyway. To the east there was something that looking like a mob of kangaroos, lazily hopping their way across the barren desert. Either towards or away from something, the Austrian was no expert on these things. The west and south looked totally empty, the occasional swirl of sand getting kicked up being able all she can see. Ahead of them, she suspects the call out of mines was accurate. It looked like for a mile or more ahead something had disturbed the road. Dug it up or similar, though the rain and the winds form the last night covered it up well. It's only her scope and practised eyes that pick out the roundish patterns that are staggered along the road.

And from the north? She can see a truck incoming on their position.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Joanna Vesport

Unstuck and free of the threat of mutant cannibals, Joanna takes advantage and catches a few winks in the upper lookout turret. Old thief's trick - catnap when you can, then you're more alert and perky than your opponents. Dumb muscle always tries to power through and stay awake. Fools.

When the truck slows and shakes to a stop, it get Joanna up. She perks her head up from the observation post, giving her pistol a quick check. Yup, good to go, not that where she'd go first. Joanna shoves the pistol into its holder and swings off the observation post on the walkway above the cow aboves.

Huh. Sounds like they'll want to deal.

"Good," she says to the team as she arrives at the cab. "Sounds like they want to deal, smart. Let's see if we can keep their cut small, huh?"

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

“The road ahead does look like it has been mined or otherwise tampered with,” Full Stop notes, inclining her head slightly to talk into the commlink receiver on the collar of her armour. “And…” She falls silent for a moment as she peers through her scope again. “There is some kind of junk truck approaching from the north. No more than five clicks out, closing fast.”

The troll glances at Joanna. “Hopefully they will not want any of the cows. I imagine that at best our pay will be docked if we don’t deliver all of them to…” She waves vaguely in the direction they all have been travelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Monster

Monster climbs out of the broken windshield to stand on the roof of the cabin. "Easy on the gun," she reminds Full Stop. "Don't want any trouble right away. I can help handle things if they get weird about this." She sighs. "Let's just play it cool for now, right? Easy day. Chill." She claps her hands together as if it were a ritual designed to calm herself. "It's perfectly natural for them to be suspicious."