Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

Veronika considers the situation. “Should I pop a smoke grenade in the front?” she then offers. “Make it look like we have an overheating engine?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 3/3 PP: 2/5

"... Isn't that, like, a lot of smoke? Whatever, it looks convincing. Go for it."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Joanna

Access, access, where can she get in....everything has a way in....

There! Haha! With a few quick motions Joanna gets the vent unscrewed, puts it down gently on the ground, and then pulls herself up into the crawl space, jamming her legs out to brace herself. She gets blown by hot air, waste heat from the racks of equipment in front of her, the brains that drive the truck. And when you're in somebody's brain....

Joanna pulls out a link cord and starts poking through the connectors and ports to find the place to connect. She's smiling - harden your PAN and net links all you want, won't help against somebody right in the middle of things. Because who would be? Nobody, that's who. So why harden it?

A deep sigh over the subvocal. "I'm a little busy," Joanna replies, testily. "Working on a distraction, I see. Nice. You should be ready to roll about...now"

@Platonicsolid: 6d6>=5 Hacking into the truck's systems = (5 1 6 5 3 1, 3 successes) = 3
Platonicsolid - Today at 10:14 AM
And presuming I can usemy Top End B&E Kit....
/r 1d6>=5 # B&E Kit Reroll
SidekickBOT - Today at 10:14 AM
@Platonicsolid: 1d6>=5 B&E Kit Reroll = (1, 0 successes) = 0

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.


Clapping Larry

Wrangler Hax
EDG: 2/2 PP: 4/5


"Don't go too big, or they might think we are doing something stupid." Wrangler adds feeling like they were doing something stupid not getting the gently caress out of the government checkpoint.

"We are ready to drop into gear at any moment" He adds to Joanna's announcement.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

“It is a lot of smoke,” she concedes, “but it will also disperse quickly out of doors.” Moving to the front of the trailer, Veronika produces a grenade, pulls the pin, and lightly lobs it (i.e. the grenade) over the truck, aiming to have it land on the vehicle’s bonnet.

Don't think I need to roll for this? Let me know if I do, I guess!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


Jinx finishes climbing back up on top of the rig, after a rather surprising departure. She takes stock of personnel, and then objectives.

"Why are we running away suspiciously and pretending to be on fire, again?"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 3/3 PP: 2/5

Monster climbs over towards Jinx and briefly cuts her mic feed off out of paranoia. "One of the cows is fake and I have no idea what's inside of it, and Joanna ran off to do something that I'm assuming would result in getting us all into trouble. Also, normally I'm against looking inside a package, but I'd at least like some reassurance that we're not going to get blown up by a cow-shaped explosive charge once we get wherever we're going."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


Jinx considers this information for a few moments, brow furrowing in concentration.

"Alright," she eventually says. "As long as there's a reason."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 3/3 PP: 2/5

"But these are terrible reasons! Terrible!"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.


Clapping Larry

Wrangler Hax
EDG: 2/2 PP: 4/5


"Well, lets not open the cow here." Wrangler then swears under his breath as he shakes his head. His spider bot next to him covers its eyes with its thin legs.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


With the plan figured out on the fly, Full Stop lobs the smoke grenade gently on the bonnet and Wrangler slows the truck into a very convincing stop. From a distance, which was approximately how far they were now from the check point, it had to look like a very convincing break down. It helped that, on their side, their trucked looked like a scrapyard hunk of junk which would be exactly the sort of vehicle to catch fire for no real reason. Those cocky foreigners thought they could take on the Oz outback and just be fine, of course.

It doesn’t take more than a few moments from when Wrangler pulls the the truck off to the side of the road to make their faux-breakdown all the more convincing than the checkpoint guard buzzes across on the radio yet again. Though this time seeming a lot less happy then he had been previous. “Bloody hell, just what the hell have ya gone and done ya bloody idiots?” He cusses out. “You can’t get back in ‘ere without loving back off from Perth. If you need help you’re poo poo out of luck you-“ And the tenor of the conversation continued on roughly in that manner.

Back inside, Joanna hadn’t a care in the world. Probably to her overall detriment given where she was stealing this truck from, but if you can enjoy your success than you might as well replace your heart with chrome. The thrill of the hunt, that’s what Joanna cared about. Almost as much as how much she could flip these drones for once they got free of this checkpoint. What the others were doing or what poo poo she got them into? Pretty much down the bottom of the who-gives-a-poo poo list.

The auto-truck roars into life and charges out of the warehouse, knocking aside several crates and one other, smaller truck on the way. With the exterior border patrol guards distracted with the sudden breakdown of the cow cargo, the auto-truck utterly surprised everybody when it bursts out of the warehouse and drives right out of the check point.

“Motherfucker!” Comes over the radio, the comms guard sounding distracted with sudden flareup of background chatter that floods the channel. “Who the gently caress told that thing to move!” Is followed swiftly by, “Get it the gently caress back here!” The comms chatter makes the next few seconds rather incomprehensible, but one voice comes clear over the radio again. “My bloody arse it is! Kick the minefield back into action!”

For Wrangler, that wasn’t too much of a problem. He just had to take everybody off-road a little bit and take a more scenic route over to Perth. For Joanna, while she had got the truck up and running and moving, she hadn’t quite cracked the navigation system yet. So right now, she was on course to drive right down the mine-riddled road to Perth.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

“A fake cow?” the troll repeats softly with a downward glance. She continues to stare in the general direction of the bogus bovine for a few moments before sighing and pinching the bridge of her nose. There are no…well, actually, there are words for this kind of situation; she just hasn’t quite reached the point of uttering them yet.

“We are not in a position to be picky about reasons, I fear,” Full Stop says, turning back to watch the customs compound. Things seem to go roughly as planned for the longest time, although she eventually tunes out the customs guard haranguing them over their apparent breakdown. “They are very charming people here,” she murmurs – and mere seconds later finds out just how charming they truly are when the rogue auto-truck emerges from the checkpoint, accompanied by yet more swearing on the radio. At least the customs people haven’t opened fire yet.

“That is the thing Joanna went to see about, isn’t it?” Veronika sighs again. It’s something she is doing a lot today, she finds. Watching the auto-rig proceed along what she guesses is a pre-programmed route, the troll shakes her head. “She is going to be blown into so many tiny pieces if it just keeps going.” Yet another sigh. “Should we do something? Maybe we should do something.”

Wouldn’t it be great right about now if our technomancer hadn’t flaked the gently caress out on us?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


"We should probably do something," Jinx contributes.

She puts her hands out, palms together. "Dear God," she intones solemnly, eyes closed. "Please don't let my teammate get blown up by Australian mines just because she did something dumb. Amen."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 3/3 PP: 2/5

"Yeah, we should do something."

Monster lets out a guttural sigh and pulls the extendable data cable from the RCC in her messenger bag. "Joanna, can you hear me?" She calls over voice comms as she plugs the device into her commlink. "You're patched into that thing manually, right? I'm assuming because I'm pretty sure you're not a decker. Aight, listen: I need you to give me all of your permissions so I can help you - "

She stops. She's not actually sure how she's going to help yet. "Uh... Just give me some drat admin access to this thing so you can bail out before you blow yourself up. I can drive it remotely using my RCC."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Joanna
Edge: 1/1

This is going to be awesome. A whole truck of top notch drones. Her mind's already racing to what she'll do with the money when the truck lurches into motion. "Ah, autonav. Hope you know where you're going, truck!" Because while she's gotten the thing going, she hardly has full control, no access to the sensors or direct drive, or even the navigation system. The thief's just pondering how to get into those when somebody mentions...

"Minefield?" she asks on the radio. "Hey Monster. Minefield? Did somebody say minefield?" "Right, right, good idea...."

SidekickBOT - Today at 3:53 PM
@Platonicsolid: 6d6 >= 5 Rooting the truck... = (4 4 5 2 3 3, 1 success) = 1


"That should do it!" Joanna reports on the radio, her glee entirely unrestrained.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at Dec 19, 2017 around 20:53

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


PS, don't count that edge spent just yet. You rolled six d5's the first time which ain't right. Roll over again with six d6 and then we can see what happens.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 3->2/3 PP: 2/5

"Yes, minefield!" While Monster's commlink automatically attenuates her volume, everyone near the cattle car can clearly hear her screaming at the top of her lungs. "Plug me in to the drat truck!"

She stares at her RCC's connection prompt, unblinking, a steady stream of curses escaping her with the cadence of a Buddhist mantra. She mashes the little AR button the instant it turns from red to green and immediately brings the drone truck to a screaming halt.

Monster climbs back up to her perch on top of the cabin, falls to her knees, buries her face into a sandbag, and lets out a very frustrated cry. She lays motionless for a solid few moments as she takes a couple deep, centering breaths. It was time to get back to work, unfortunately. She curls up in a corner of the crow's nest and languidly draws up camera feeds from the truck.

"Easy day. Easy day. ... We are so screwed," she mumbles. She sounds exhausted. "I can't believe this."

Despite her cynical words, she puts the truck in gear and carefully maneuvers it through the brush and soft sand out to the side of the road. It was going to be a rough ride for Joanna.

"Aight, listen. Joanna? We need to talk after this. You stay wherever you are in there and I'll drive it as far along as I can get it. Once the sun goes down or we somehow get the truck out of observable range, then you can come out, we grab some stuff, ditch that truck, and go on with whatever's left of our sorry lives. Got it?" She pinches the bridge of her nose. "Once your truck is off doing its thing, maybe we can pretend to be fixed and ask them to disable the minefield. Or not, because we deserve that, really."

Used one edge post roll, got a total of 4 hits on Pilot to remotely guide the truck offroad and away from mines.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


Maybe Joanna wasn't used working under this sort of pressure, maybe she was just new to having to patch in a driver from the outside, but she had a hell of a time finding the right connection to let Monster in. The auto-truck happily trundles along and past where the rest of her team had pulled up and faked the break down, not slowing down at all as it drives right towards the several kilometre stretch of mined dirt road.

Count her lucky starts then that Monster was at the other end and was quite determined to not have anything blow up quite yet. Without much warning, Joanna is tossed around on the inside of the cab like a shoe in a clothes dryer. The auto-truck jerks to the right and veers way the hell off the road in such a way that if it weren't a direct corp hand-me-down an axle probably would have broken by now. No mines look to have been tripped, and as the odd bush and scrub get eaten under the auto-truck it continues at a decent speed off-road and towards the desert.

Still hoping their disguise is working, the cow ladened truck gets another message over the radio. "Blood truck has gone on us." A new voice informs them, a very unhappy gruff troll type. "Don't you bloody move an inch, hear me? Outriders are being sent out to get that cargo back an' if you're in the way at all they're bloody well just go through you all, yeah?" He helpfully informs the gang, halfway between doing his job to inform the public and half threatening them if they annoyed him in any capacity. The lookouts on top of the bus/trailer can indeed see that from behind them, the base was spewing out a couple of armoured utilities with machine guns fixed on the back.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.


Clapping Larry

Wrangler Hax
EDG: 2/2 PP: 4/5


"gently caress." Wrangler says as he slouches down, he turns on the comms and says "I'm not trying to stop poo poo, but, we might be up and running. It ain't my job to keep your autotrucks in your bay you have a malfunction, or whatever, I don't care, are we going to have to just sit here and blow our time table, or not?" He says trying to sound as annoyed as possible.

Rolling Con 2 with 4 Charisma for 6 dice
Rolled 6#1d6: 6 # 4 [1d6=4] 2 [1d6=2] 5 [1d6=5] 2 [1d6=2] 5 [1d6=5] 6 [1d6=6]

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


The poor, poor comms operator didn't need this. He already had enough poo poo on his hands coordinating this god drat poo poo show of a scene, now needing to keep the base and guards in contact with the outrider vehicles being set out and apparently get bitched out by some yank rear end in a top hat with entitlement issues. Besides an annoyed groan, Hax doesn't actually get a reply for a little while. There's only the sound of motors being redlined as two utes, modified to deal with the desert, race along after the rogue auto-truck.

"Fucken," The comms crackle back to life. "Hey, sure thing mate. You wanna drive through the loving mines to stay on your god drat time table you go right ahead. Go get the gently caress out of here." He gives the green light, and almost sounds glad at the thought of Hax and co. getting themselves exploded. "The gently caress do I care if some assholes go and get themselves blown up. Mines need to get workout anyway. Not my load of loving cows going to go to poo poo, is it? loving foreigners need to just gently caress off back where they came from…"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

"You heard the man, let's go!" Monster pounds on the roof of the cabin. "Joanna, you need to figure something out quick, because they're sending chase vehicles and I don't think that the auto-track is gonna be fast enough to get away, especially while off-roading it."

She keys in a video feed to Joanna showing the utes bouncing out the gate. "I can probably get you going slowly through some cover so you can grab something and bail out, just let me know when you're ready. You'll need to lay low until the chase vehicles are past you, understand?"

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

She wrinkles her nose at the appallingly unprofessional attitude of the customs fellow on the comms. A halfway decent work ethic appears to be another of the many things they just don’t have here in Australia.

While her eyes remain fixed on the outrider vehicles, Full Stop speaks up on the intra-team channel: “I presume hacking the mines is out of the question? It seems unlikely that they cover the entire road to Perth.”

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

"Their controls are probably back there, so it's a little late for that, but we should be able to get back on the road after a little while." She eyeballs the utes, then turns to Full Stop and Jinx. "Hey, hypothetical question: how would you feel about smoking those guys and being done with them? Just... Y'know, asking."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


Jinx frowns deeply. It's a marked change from her normal, easy-going manner.

"They're just doing their jobs. And they're only after us because Joanna got greedy and stole a truck-load of billabongs or whatever."

She drums her fingers along the casing of her machine gun for a few heartbeats. "Hey, can you do that thing you did to the cows again? So they stop getting angry and just kind of stand there? Uh, drive peacefully there?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Joanna
Edge: 1/1

drat, these weird Australian auto-trucks and their backwards processes. The truck shakes and starts careening down the road, crunching through brush and past startled lizards into the desert. After getting knocked a few times, she jumps up and snaps her legs out, JCVDing herself into an elevated position. The open hatch below still shows the ground below, and dust's coming in too. Probably not the best way out.

"Nah, gotta be didgerydoos or better. and these are way, way better. In fact...." Joanna uses her suspended position to scoot upwards towards the roof hatch. It pops open after a few good punches, and Joanna tosses one of her fly-spies up through it to take a look. "If I can get in there, it'll be a nice big surprise!" Images of awesome explosions flash through her head. First, though to find those outriders.


SidekickBOT - Today at 5:42 PM
@Platonicsolid: 9d6>=5 Checking for outriders. = (4 1 1 4 1 1 6 5 3, 2 successes) = 2

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

Monster briefly gives Jinx an upset look as she considers her request. "Those utes don't really have windows, so... Yeah. I can do that, since you asked nicely. I just need to, uh..." She squints at the pursuers. "I need to figure out how to resolve this peacefully in a way that isn't obvious. I mean, just so I'm not spending the rest of my time trying to not be hunted down."

Anyone standing nearby feels an overwhelming sense of dread, and Jinx can briefly see Monster's eyes flicker red. She stares intently at the vehicles and motions slightly with her hand.

Off in the distance, one of the pursuit vehicles bounces over a ridge and manages to fishtail the other. They come to a stop and the occupants of both vehicles emerge. The sounds of an argument can be heard over the radio.

"There, how's that?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


Jinx's sunny disposition returns.

"Well, there you go! We got away without killing anybody. That's something we can all be happy about, and we should all be proud of you, kid!"

The elf is either the world's best actor, or complete, totally, and horribly devoid of irony.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

“Well done, Monster,” the troll says with an approving nod, thumbing the safety on her Kriegfaust back on. “We will be in considerably less trouble if our return trip takes us this way, too.” She lets out a small sigh. “Though at this rate, we'll be unable to complete the job without shooting somebody.”

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

She lets out a sad sigh and stares at Jinx as she tries to figure out if this was some sort of cruel joke, and whether or not she knew that she was utilizing mind control. Maybe she should say something? No, no. This is probably for the best.

"Yeah, you're probably right." She takes remote control of their rig and drives forward through the brush. "Let's get out of here."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


The battle lines had been drawn. Joanna had pulled a total wild card move and got greedy as hell hijacking a second truck out of nowhere, and it just wouldn't be right to let these kinda annoying rear end in a top hat but ultimately not doing anything that isn't just their job border guards die for that. A solution born not from bullets and fire but wit and cunning had to be thought up and enacted, and there was precious few seconds to get this done before something seriously bad was going to happen to either them or the guards.

Thankfully, Monster was up to the task! Compared to some of the tasks put to her past, this was easy. She didn't even need to kill anybody for this! Here, all she needed to do was make it look like some backwards Australian hicks were terrible drivers. Hardly work at all, some would say. If they had time for forethought, all they would have needed to do was introduce a slab of beer into the equation. As it stood, Monster's mental might substituted well enough. Whatever malevolent, dread filled thoughts she directs the way of the utes works immediately. The fishtail crash doesn't hurt anybody, but it tosses the trucks way out into the dunes and the following argument keeps the border patrol more than occupied enough for both trucks to drive away freely.

That didn't mean everybody was out of trouble, though. Both trucks still needed to get very far away from the mines and the border checkpoint, and from there make it to the drop of point for the bovine cargo. And Joanna was still stuck in the computerised cab of the auto-truck! Dropping herself out the bottom would at best maim her, and more than likely would just end up with all limbs (organic and chrome) getting eaten under the big rig wheels. But her tiny drone, once released and thrown into the air, is able to survey the situation and sees that both the outriders had now crashed. That meant there was no chase. And the 'auto' part of the truck was now hijacked, so she could slow down and get out when there was time. But until then, Jo just wiggles her way up and out of the hatch she punched open and takes a seat on top of the truck cab.

The need to put distance between them and any sort of pursuing authority, even with the two outriders having been disposed of, means that for a good while Jo is stuck sitting on the roof of her truck while the rest of the team are riding alongside on the decidedly less advanced cow truck. Once they are past radio range, and surely past any minefields, both trucks try their luck back on the poor excuse of a road. And luckily do not explode on contact, so make some good time getting distance between them and the border. It's quite a while on the road before paranoia is sated enough to slow down and take both trucks back off the road again. They were coming up on the drop off point, it wasn't that far out of the way from here to Perth proper now, and they needed to sort their poo poo out. Nobody was expecting two trucks, for one. Or the cargo of whatever was on the hijacked auto-truck. Not to mention that there might be anything in that fake cow Monster discovered.

At the very least, Joanna needed to get her rear end off that drat stolen truck and come back over to the cows.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


"Alright." Jinx slaps her knees and stands. "Anybody else going to go look at that fake cow with me?"

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

She spends a little while longer scanning the horizon in the direction of the customs station before nodding at Jinx’s suggestion, albeit with some reluctance. “Let’s be careful. There may be tampering countermeasures built into it.”

Full Stop climbs off the trailer right next to its back door and peers through the grating. “…I am not sure we will have any room to work if the real cows are still in there.”

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

"Don't worry, you've got a real professional cowgirl with you to take care of those." Monster sounds rather unenthusiastic about her new role as the master of cows. "And it gives me a good excuse to have some distance when you open that thing up." She spots a patch of open ground surrounded by high brush next to the road and pulls the two trucks over. "Here, let's stop here. This looks fine."

With the trucks safely parked somewhat away from prying eyes, she scrambles down from her perch and back to the double doors. It takes her quite a bit of effort to finally get the latches open. She cracks one open to peek inside and get a good look at the cattle. A familiar sense of dread permeates the area as she leads them into an open pasture area. It's hard to take spooky foreboding magic seriously when it's used to take cows out for a picnic, though.

"Alright, I feel safe over here!" She sits on the back of a cow, screaming to be heard 100 meters away. "Go for it!"

mind control is a helluva drug

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


The mental might of Monster's magic gets to work and once again, the rightly unruly cattle settle down and fall into line. Once the trailer door is cracked open again the cows walk out in an orderly queue. The unfortunate cow chosen as Monster's steed doesn't even mind as she inexpertly climbs on up top. But safely away from the reasonable blast radius of any rigged explosives, she keeps a direct sight line on the trailer and her fellow jobbers. Full Stop and Jinx now have a free run to get at the obviously fake cow in the middle of the trailer.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Joanna

With the all clear from her drone, Joanna pops up out of the upper hatch and takes a seat on the roof. The auto-rig slows some, so the two trucks can match speeds. Joanna grins and waves to the others.

They come to a spot and head off the road, time to check things out. Joanna leaps down, and rather than dealing with bovine business, she moves at a quick trot around to the back of the auto-truck's trailer, jumping up on a foothold and turning the latches to pop the back open and take a look at her sweet, sweet drones!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


Jinx shuffles through the eerie, ensorcelled cows. She's smart enough to keep an eye on where she steps, in this figurative minefield, and it as least nimble enough to keep her boots clean.

The elf considers the ersatz cow. She notes the bolts holding it to the floor, the glassy fake eyes, the worn patches in the synthetic fur where it brushed up against the real models. She looks at its undercarriage, follows a trail up to the ceiling, then back down to the beast. She stands there, tapping a thumbnail against her teeth for a few moments.

"Yep," she finally says. "That's a fake cow."

0 perception successes.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

Veronika gives Monster a thumbs-up before ducking into the trailer. Unlike Jinx she’s not quite dextrous enough to dodge all the excrement on the floor…but then again, judging from her experiences with Australia so far the locals probably appreciate it when folks have some cow poop on their boots.

Moving as best she can in the trailer’s close confines, the troll circles very slowly around the faux cow to scan it closely with her cybereyes, treating it as she would anything she assumes is rigged to explode in her face if she looks at it the wrong way. Still, she is curious if there’s a way to open it up somehow without triggering any booby traps or the like. Must be something less than perfectly legal in there, if it has to be smuggled along like this…

Perception (scrutinising the fake cow): 12d6t5 8 successes.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

"What's in the cow?" Monster yells from atop her cow. "What's in the cow?!"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


Before opening any package, let alone a fake cow looking one in amongst stolen cows, one must investigate it. You could be taken for a fool otherwise. And it is a good thing Veronika is such an astute eye for such things, as she more than makes up for the rest of the team being not exactly detail orientated. And being more than a hundred metres away from the cow in question.

Obvious, the fake cow was fake. No real effort went into hiding it beyond sticking it in the very middle with all the other cows. The sheet metal shell, spray painted white and black, is fairly flimsy and is not actually anchored down too well. Veronika's god given muscles are more then enough to shift it, which reveals what had been hidden away. Monster's instincts to stand as far away as possible seemed to be on the money, as it becomes quite clear that the fake cow was in fact loaded with explosives.

After the initial shock however, and after they fail to explode immediately, Veronika notices a few things. While yes this cow was full of explosives, they didn't seem strong enough to kill them all. Not by a long shot, nor was it shaped to do particular damage to whoever was riding on top or in the cab. The best she can figure it, the way the bomb was packed seemed more aimed towards shredding meat than punching through the metal of the trailer. And there didn't seem like there was any onboard trigger, so it wasn't directly linked to any of the cows. And the lack of any connection to the matrix meant there couldn't be decker waiting somewhere to connect into it and set the whole thing off. Which left only one real answer in Veronika's mind, the explosive cow was meant set to be triggered by coming into contact with something or someone. And given the nature of the job? All fingers had to be pointed at their final destination.

Any deeper understanding of the machinations, she couldn't fathom. This was Australia, after all. But in her mind, unless somebody wanted to dig in and try to disarm the fake cow bomb, avoiding the upcoming meet and drop off should be enough to keep them all from being covered in ungodly amounts of cow blood and guts.

Joanna had a far easier and less deadly time looking at her goodies. The crates looked by and large similar, so cracking just the one was enough to get a representative look at the drone she stole. It was a few years old, this surveillance drone, but was bound to be top of the line here in Australia. Lightly armed, high altitude optics, easily remote controlled with advanced ECCM tech. Odds were it was either for a police force or corp security, but gear like this was always fast to sell on the market.

Gnoll that's actually 2 successes, FYI. Not that it matters because MMA went ahead and broke it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

She remains silent, taking it slow and inspecting the fake cow with all due conscientiousness. When the task is done she straightens back up, leaning against the inside wall of the trailer and letting out a small sigh.

“It is a bomb,” Full Stop then announces over the team’s comms, “comprising what you might call a moderate anti-personnel payload. It looks to be strictly off-line, and it’s not wired to anything on this truck as far as I can tell. The design is…unconventional. That said, I would guess it has some kind of highly specific proximity-based trigger – it is meant to detonate when a pre-determined target gets close to it. The blast will be localised, at any rate, perhaps even largely contained within the trailer itself.”

Veronika moves to stand in the trailer’s back door and blinks once, which suffices to make her eyes adjust to the unrelenting sunlight outside. “The good news, I suppose, is that as long as we aren’t there when that truck gets to where it is supposed to go, the odds of our being caught within any ensuing explosions are essentially zero.”

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply