Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


"I'm not gonna pretend I'm really happy about riding on a bomb," Jinx says. "I'm also pretty sure our job was to move the cows, specifically, not the truck or anything in it. If this thing blows up and kills all the cows, we're probably not getting paid."

She pauses for a moment, and she starts to stare into the middle distance. The elf shudders, then picks up her thread of conversation. "Also, I don't want to see what that looks like."

Duh, I reed gud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

"But what if they really wanted the explosives and just didn't tell us? Then what? Or maybe they're trying to bomb the butcher?" She sits down on her cow and mentally commands them back towards the trailer, all the while wondering just how lucid any of those questions sounded out of context. "Either way, I think we'll get blamed for it since we got through the checkpoint just fine, so those guys have plausible deniability. I vote we just blow it up out here and just take the cows."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Joanna

Crates crates crates. Drones drones drones!

Joanna's excitement starts to fade, though, as she gets the lid fully off one of the crates. It's...fine? "Awh," she says aloud. She used ones just like these in the Portland op last year. "Top of the line does not mean what it should down here," she reports over the comms, sounding rather like a disappointed child on Capitalismmass Morning. "Anybody knows where we can fence some surveillance drones? Probably should keep a couple in reserve."

The rear door of the stolen truck swings open and Joanna hops out, striding over towards the rest of the team. "Maybe it's elaborate cow murder? Like they really hate cows?" she wonders. "So what should we do with them? Hell, we could leave them here and swap them for the drones!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


"If we leave the cows out here, all alone," Jinx says patiently. "Then we're just as culpable of cow murder."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

She barely even bothers to shrug in response to Joanna’s enquiry. “I’m not from around here. Based on what we’ve seen so far, however, I would recommend thinking several times before making a deal with anyone.”

“A controlled detonation would certainly result in the lowest amount of collateral damage,” the troll agrees. “The only problem is that the bomb appears to be bolted to the floor of the trailer, but I expect we can work around that. If we are careful we might not even set it off in the process.” She falls silent for a moment. “We are contracted to deliver a truckload of cows. Delivering a fake cow that is actually a bomb did not come up at any point, so I have no qualms with leaving it behind. And in any case I’m not interested in being accessory to…whatever questionable purpose the bomb must be intended for.”

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

"What, we don't have a wrench or something to unbolt it with?" Monster and her herd come to halt within comfortable talking distance. "We could get a bunch of rope and chains and try to pop it out using cows. That's a dumb idea, what am I saying," she immediately recants. "Full Stop or Jinx, there was a wrench set in the back of the cabin. I'd go grab it, but I need to stay close to these guys." She pats the cow she's riding on the head. "We'll drag it out into the field, torch it, and go."

She gives Joanna a tired look. "And no more bright ideas from you. We can keep whatever drones you can pack up, but we're leaving the truck. I'm not in the mood to trust any fences we come across, so we'll be keeping them. I can only have a bunch linked in to my RCC anyways."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


Full Stop or Jonx, you gonna listen to the tiny baby girl on the cow here? Or Wrangler, you got any thoughts you wanna interject into the bovine discussion??

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

“Oh, is there? That makes things easier on us,” Veronika says, trotting off towards the cab of the truck to fetch the tools. “I would prefer to subject the device to as few bumps and jolts as possible.”

Yes, let’s do the wrench thing, careful-like.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx is content to let Veronika explode in her place.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Joanna

"That was a brilliant idea, I'll have you know," Joanna shoots back to Monster. She's standing on the back gate of the truck, already pulling one of the crates down. "We got away with everything, and we're in the clear. You ask me," She tosses the crate down, then goes hopping after it. A knife from her belt and she begins cutting it open. "Fencing this all would be more profitable than the wacky cow capers y'all are on," she say, standing and shoving the lid off the crate. "So what, keep six, leave the rest as presents for passing children?"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

"I got half a mind to strangle you for that stunt," Monster calls to Joanna from the back of her cow. "That almost got us all killed, and it's real hard for dead people to use money. Count yourself lucky that it took long enough to get to a stopping point that I could cool down."

She turns her back to her as she slowly drives the cattle to a safe distance. "Yeah, whatever. Sound good. Just stuff the crate back in there so the people in the chase vehicles aren't assed to do any inventory on it."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


Full Stop, unlike her code name, was not about to let something as trivial as the threat of having her torso torn to shreds by directed explosives stop her from doing a job. Not like she wasn't used to working in deadly life threatening situations, and nothing designed just to blow up cows can be as bad as real weapons.

She makes short work of the bolts, a simple matter of having the right tool for the right job. And having the strength enough to drat near rip the bolts off the bus floor. As securely as it was fixed into the trailer, it's not all that much of a wait until the entire explosive fake cow contraption is free and delicately dragged out of the bus.

Nobody was exactly an IED cow expert, but the set up was fairly simple. Directed explosives and ball baring style shrapnel all set up to kill the meat inside while not really hurting the crew or the engine much at all. The top of the cow was even armoured to keep the killing stuff from punching up through the roof. They have to assume that it is all enough to take out the herd, and there certainly seems like there is enough packed in the fake cow to cause trouble. No identifying marks on it, and it wasn't digital at all so no luck hacking in that way. That only really left the orc bastard who gave them the milk run as a suspect, and not much else.

Full Stop follows Monster's plan and drags the cow far out into the desert scrub and, following the most strict safety guidelines, everybody stands back a far way and the fake bomb cow is drenched in diesel and set on fire. Will it explode? Will it cause untold damage to the natural environment? Who knows, because nobody was sticking around to check on it after the flame is lit.

While the cow situation was being dealt with, Joanna was busy unloading a few of her new toys. Disappointedly mediocre but still good enough to turn a little bit of coin, a cool half dozen are pulled free of their transport crates and stashed in the bus while the cows were still out and under Monster's soothing hand. Well, most are. There wasn't enough room for the last two so they are rather shoddily strapped to the roof. Hopefully these things were weather sealed.

Monster directs the cows back into the bus after the the fake bomb cow is disposed of, and everybody loads back up. They still had a little ways to go yet, after all!

Platonicsolid, drones aren't that big but with all the cows also in the trailer there ain't too much room so you can get like four and including strapping some to the roof two more for the total of six. If you want more or something then you can at the cost of a edge point to direct the narrative thusly. If anybody needs anything done in this scene, you can also retroactively announce / declare it for am edge and it'll be so.

Any heat left following them surely would have stopped at the dumped truck Joanna hijacked to check it and the drone cargo out. Whatever the case, the team is scott free barrelling down the freeway with their cargo of for sure stolen and only probably rustled goods. Studying the map studiously, it was clear they were coming close to the drop off point. And also honest to goodness civilisation! In the form of something other than desert everywhere you looked. Acres and hectares of dirt farms and solar banks lines either side of the freeway, no doubt helping feed and power the free city of Perth.

Out of nowhere, there is a loud *BEEP* in the cabin. If somebody had to guess, it was set up to ping as soon as the cargo was back in range of OzNet in Perth, signalling that the truck was close to the drop off point. It is loud enough to snap attention to the road, and from the road to a sign pointing to a huge truck servicing roadhouse. The map was not precise enough to say one way or the other if this was the right spot or not, but as the road sign had 'RUN MILK HERE' and a bad cows head spray painted underneath it in fluro yellow paint, an educated guess would probably give it a shot.

The vast, unsealed carpark was pretty empty. Except for a couple other truck, both empty and with trailers attached. Both had a couple surly looking outback orcs standing by, leaning on the cab reading the paper or smoking durries. There were no weapons as far as anybody could see, and the roadhouse itself seemed the sort of place that you go to drink yourself to death in peace and quiet. Nobody from there was going to bother you.

Robodog fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2018 around 05:55

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

Monster had long since given up on the pretense of being a diligent lookout, and had slept on the roof after her share of the driving was done. Mind control was a tiring thing, after all.

The motion of the truck slowing to a stop wakes her, and she lets out a low growl as she rubs the sand from her eyes. "This is it, right?" Monster squints and looks around. "We just... That's it? We didn't get any other instructions, right? We just stop here? Ugh."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


Jinx claps Full Stop on the shoulder, once she's not up to her elbows in bomb parts. "Good job not killing us all, kid."

Later, once the truck has come to a halt and it's not a terrible idea to leap off the thing, Jinx dismounts from her spot on the trailer. She looks around, as nonplussed about the whole thing as Monster. She scratches the back of her head for a moment, then turns to the orks on their smoke break.

"'Scuse me, fellas," she calls. "You know anybody here who's taking delivery on a buncha cows?"

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

The troll shrugs modestly. “It’s what I do. That said…thank you.”

She too is momentarily taken aback by the nature of their destination. “You know,” Full Stop says, “if it were not for the sign back there, you could tell me we are right back where we started and I’d probably believe it.” While Jinx is off to talk to the locals, she climbs down from the trailer and circles the truck to make sure everything still is in working order. Old habits die hard. “There is very little we were told, if you think about it,” she responds to Monster. “I wonder how much of that was on purpose.”

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

"Same," she grumbles. "I'm gonna be pissed if that bomb was the actual payload."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


Having slept the whole way on the roof, Monster emerges with a pretty nice tan / terrible sunburn. Jungle heat was one thing, but outback sun without even the hint of an ozone layer was another. Thankfully she wasn't exposed too much, but enough of her skin was toasty to definitely feel it.

The orks, quite busy with their own very important business, take some degree of exception to Jinx walking up and disturbing them so rudely. But, both veterans of the most drunken of bar fights, they know better than to start poo poo with some random and extremely huge elf if it can be avoided. So both the oz orks just look Jinx up and down, see that she wasn't there to start poo poo, and more or less just acquiesce to the innocent enough request.

"Cows?" One ork, who is a bit taller than the other and with far greater tusks, looks to the other. He doesn't really seem to know much about it, just giving both his mate and Jinx a bit of a shrug. Getting no help from him, the ork just snorts and turns attention back to the huge elf. "Well sheila, I dunno 'bout any cows." He bluntly tells her, peering around her frame to look at the trailer. From that angle, there was no easy way to tell if cows were there or not. "But I know Johnno's," The ork nods his head towards the roadhouse. "Been expecting the milk tanker to come in for drat near a week now." He turns to his mate again. "Milks a cow thing, yeah? S'not goats too, is it?"

His mate shrugs again, being as helpful as ever.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

"A week? No way we're that late," Monster says. Her legs dangle over the side of the truck cabin. "No goats. Hey Jinx, let's go check out this Johnno's place. And be ready for an unpleasant reception if they actually think we're overdue."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


"Thanks, fellas. You have a nice day now, there," Jinx says, nodding appreciatively to the surly orks.

The burly American joins her much smaller compatriot, ready to proceed. "You don't know for sure," she says to Monster. "They might be really appreciative we brought them their milk. Like that tall guy who helped us out, he looks like he knows the value of strong teeth and bones."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

“Do you want me to stay with the truck? Make sure nothing will happen to it?” She’s not really sure much can happen in a place like this, but one never knows!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

Monster grunts. "We'll see." She slings up her flamethrower, briefly considering how silly it was that her weapon of choice could be carried openly here while she clambers down to the ground. "Yeah, stay here with the truck. I'll keep an open mic for you. And if you see us getting thrown out a window or something, feel free to start shooting. C'mon, Jinx."

She marches up the roadhouse door and slams it open. Her burnt skin and hard squint would have made Clint Eastwood jealous. Monster pauses briefly in the doorway, half expecting one of the staring patrons to draw a gun right away. When no such shootout occurs, she stomps up to the bar and announces herself, hands firmly on her hips. "Which one of you is Johnno?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


The talkative ork nods Jinx's way, leaving her and the lot of foreigners to get on with their own business.

The size difference between Monster and Jinx as they walk their way to the roadhouse is drat near comical. It might as well be a troll mother bringing in a tiny little baby dwarf for a drink, it was literally that much of a difference in the size. Literally. Except that Monster looked more than a little psychotic at this point, what with the gnarly suntan and hours of cow exposure and the flamethrower, and Jinx no matter how friendly did have a sort of 'I could tear your head off if I really wanted to' vibe that tended to keep strangers from being too silly.

This sees them, when the door is slammed open and the attention of everybody in the roadhouse drawn to the entrance, handled with some respect and patience rather than a hail of bullets. Just having a weapon with you was downright sensible on the outback, after all. Neither Monster nor Jinx were directly pointing a gun at anybody, a very rude action even by Oz standards, so for now the same courtesy is shown to them. Regardless of the calibre of and massive guns that may be aimed at the entire building from outside by the rest of the team. What Johnno doesn't know doesn't hurt him.

"The gently caress wants to know?" A human behind the bar, presumably Johnno judging from how angrily he took the enquiry, answers Monster. He was tall enough for a run of the mill human, though certainly not up to Jinx proportions. His deeply sunburnt tan and large, calloused hands gave the impression of a man who enjoyed getting down and dirty and do things for himself. Neither him nor any of the other miscellaneous patrons of the roadhouse seemed to have any appreciable chrome to speak of. Perhaps this was not the place for such high tech messing about. Finishing some off-colour liquor from a stein, the man thumps the mug down hard on the counter. "The gently caress you from, anyway?" Whether this was asking who had sent the duo or genuinely asking where the non-ozzie Monster was from was unclear. The tone was still powerfully unfriendly, however. For the moment it seemed, Johnno and the rest were waiting on the two interlopers explain themselves before any untoward actions might be commenced.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

“Affirmative.” Veronika pauses. “I must admit we have spent much more time not shooting anything than I expected. Well, good luck.”

After making sure each of the firearms at her disposal is locked and loaded, the troll embarks on a loose patrol circuit around their cow hauler. She looks in on the animals every once in a while, wondering how long they can go without being watered. That kind of thing isn’t really her forte. But then, how could it be? Until this run she’d never even seen a real live cow.

It’s a quaint place, Australia is.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


An elf and a crew-served weapon walk into a bar. Nobody laughs.

While Monster busies herself with being sociable, Jinx takes a look around. With a quick count of at least 13 eyes on her, she starts to feel a little self-conscious.

"Hi there," she says.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Joanna

Ugh. Well that was a lot of drat work. None of the other seems to appreciate her haul! As she gets the last crate onto the roof, Joanna leans in and pries the lid up a bit, activating the basics of the drone. She links it to her PAN, and happily hops down into the cab for the rest of the ride, as distracted as a toddler with a cellphone, playing with all the options and settings.

She dismounts with the others when they arrived, and while they bother orks, she gets her drone up into the air, flying it in lazy circles with a fair bit of skill, which lets her get used to it, and get a good lay of the land in Perth. When Full Stop takes off on her circuit, the thief rather surprisingly starts following. "Soooo...." she says with a drawn out tone. "Howl ong before we need to break up a bar fight?"

I'll take the six, that's enough to have a couple for toys and sell the rest. Mmmm, surveillance!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

Monster crosses her arms and stares, unflinching, at Johnno. She gives him a few seconds to stew in it and herself a few seconds to not completely lose her poo poo and start torching the place before they get paid. "We got your cows here," she growls, not bothering to answer either of his questions. "They're out front."

uhhh 2 hits on intimidation to not have this guy think he can pull a fast one on us

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

The troll pauses to look down at the thief. “Ideally? Never, because there won’t be one,” she says, lets out a sigh, and turns to eye the roadhouse. “But if our experiences so far with this country’s locals are anything to judge from?” Full Stop looks thoughtful for a moment. “Probably about two minutes.”

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.


Clapping Larry

Wrangler Hax
EDG: 2/2 PP: 4/5


"You guys aren't going to give us the sell then? Man, you all are harsh. I guess we will have to get someone else that wants some cows, I'm sure we can get twice what this job was worth." Wrangler said from the back, having laid low since there was a discovery of explosives on the truck, he was smelling a rat, and this was only confirm it. "But I mean, that ain't nothing to you right?" He said leaning against the wall looking at Johnno.

Rolling 6d6 Con = 6d6 = (5+2+1+6+6+1) 3 successes

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?




The sun is warm but not scorching, and only a slight smell of burning truck fuel mars the otherwise refreshing lungfuls of fresh air. It seemed like a pretty easy, lazy gig for those on watch. But there was much going on under the bonnet. Veronika is an intimidating presence to be sure, but one would probably assume a drunk enough local might try to test their luck with the troll. And you can’t just gun down a local drunk without consequences, no. Quite a tricky prospect, that. And with all those drones being unloaded and tinkered with by Joanna, there was booty enough for those who didn’t even care about the truck load of cows. A dangerous, profitable target if anybody cared to try. Be it by luck or through their expert perimeter guarding, however, nobody dares threaten the team or the bovine cargo. Not even the two other truckers they share the yard with seem to give them much more of a look. Not even the herd act up much!

Inside the roadhouse, where stale air mingled with cigarette smoke and spilt beer to make an altogether unfriendly aroma, it couldn’t be claimed that things were nearly as calm. Strangers from out of town rocking up from seemingly nowhere, getting all hostile and shouting about cows and deals and guns? Not the way to make friends in most places, is it? From the reaction most of the local Australians had to the interlopers, it would only be good for making blood leak outside of their designated organs and open up bullet holes where there were none before.

Jinx’s attempt to diffuse the tense atmosphere with down to earth homestyle hospitality is mixed. Guns are still held on hand and angry glares are aimed about like laser pointers, but those warm words of welcome are just so damned earnest that even the hardened bastards of the roadhouse find it hard to keep their angry suspicions. Surely if these strangers really meant to roll on up and start poo poo, they wouldn’t be bothering with such pleasantries. They would have just used those guns out front to light the whole building up. No need to even start spewing nonsensical poo poo about cows.

Monster’s frustrated barking was much less suspicious. Tiny girl has a truck load of cows to deliver and was angry that Johnno wasn’t just signing for them right there and then, no need to think much hard about that. “Out front, huh?” The man in question repeats, sounding a little sceptical about the entire situation. It might have been genuine, it might have been some kind of arcane local bargaining technique. There was no way to divine it before Wrangler Hax opened his big mouth and sound like they were all ready to just turn around and drive those moo cows right back home again. The hard bargain calls the local’s bluff.

“Hang on, hang on.” Johnno puts up his hands. “…ya mean it’s just cows? The cows?” He looks to confirm, staring the three foreigners dead in the eye. As if that alone would tell him the truth. A few moments after getting as good a judge as one can through eyes, he seems to nod to one of his underlings to go out and check such claims. A scrawny looking dwarf jogs on, dutifully poking his head out a window to take a look. “No stupid bloody jokes or trailer fulla dead cattle or swimming pool of rotten milk? Just cows?” Johnno barks, the dwarf tossing him back an effusive thumbs-up.

It seems that this turn of events, the utter lack of any surprises or gunshots, was actually the least expected outcome of all. Johnno smirks to himself, wiping some dribbles of beer off his chin. “That stinkyhole is just payin’ back what he owes?” He starts to laugh, the tense atmosphere at the bar lifting with every course, hacked out guffaw. “Well bugger me dead, I never thought I’d see the bloody day!” His assorted friends and minions, well aware of the trails and tribulations these cows have wrought, join in the laughter and soon guns are all tossed harmlessly on tables and benches and the roadhouse is decidedly more friendly than ever before.

A hand signal is thrown to the dwarf, who nods and trundles his way past Monster, Wrangler and Jinx. “You lot are all right!” Johnno declares, as powerful a boon as anything this dread continent might deliver. “Come on in then mates, have a schooner on me. Bet you bloody deserve it. Movin' cattle's hard work.” He invites, slapping the front bar hard as he invites the three in. The drinks were already being poured by the barman, the glasses were probably not as clean as they possibly could be but one could not argue with the serving size.

Out front Veronika and Joanna see that very same dwarf approach at a hurried clip. But he seemed nonthreatening enough, doing little else but swatting at possibly imagined flies on his way over. "None of 'em look dead, good work there. I'll take the herd then, yeah?" He says in that Australian way where it sounds like a question when it clearly was a declaration of intent. "Boss don't like any strangers knowing where he keeps the milk, paranoid bastard." The dwarf continues, walking over to the drivers side door of the truck. "Johnno's inside with your mates." He helpfully informs the pair.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Full Stop
1 Edg, 3 PP

Veronika eyes the dwarf with measured wariness until it finally sinks in that things are going the way they’re meant to (probably) and he’s here to take their bovine cargo off their hands, at which point she relaxes ever so slightly.

“They were…well behaved,” she offers regarding the cows. “I think.” In truth she has no idea how cows are supposed to behave, but none of them are dead and they didn’t really give her or the others any trouble during the ride here. That has to pass for decent cow behaviour, right? “Ah, anyway, thanks? Good luck?” she tells the dwarf, rather out of her element when it comes to the etiquette surrounding livestock shipment handovers in Australia, and makes for the roadhouse.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


"Well, since you brought up a trailer full of dead things..." The big American scratches at her nose before continuing.

"Your boy there put some kinda fake cow in with the others, full of explosives. I don't know what might be going on around these parts, but it seemed remiss not to tell ya."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

Monster is already halfway through her drink when Jinx mentions the explosives. "Yeah, we were worried that the bomb cow was supposed to be the actual delivery," she mentions, not bothering to wipe her foam mustache away. "Figured he was either trying to screw us at the checkpoint or blow us up since he never mentioned it. We got rid of it."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?


In her line of work caution had been drilled into her, as as such just letting the strange saunter on up to the cows was a little out of line. Undeterred the outback dwarf, as polite and courteous as they get out here, nods Veronika’s way before starting the truck up. Hearing that the cargo was all well and good was better than expected out here. The cows, freed from any lingering influence of Monster’s mental tricks, also seem to be quite okay with how events are turning out. They didn’t know it, but if it weren’t for this ragtag group of foreigners they certainly would have been exploded by now. Perhaps somewhere in their hindbrains they were aware of this miraculous feat, and were deeply thankful.

Quickly leaving Jo to play with her robots, Veronika decides to join the others inside. Judging from the lack of screaming and gunfire, things were going just as well inside as they had just gone outside with the handover.

As outlandish as a bomb cow seems at first mention, Johhno doesn’t doubt either of the outlanders for a moment. “Bloody hell, that crazy bastard was going to waste a perfectly good truck fulla milk just t’keep on screwin’ me?” He gripes, shaking his head at the poor state of affairs he found himself in. His mates / cronies around the bar share in his saddened disbelief. “I mean, haulin’ the cows out here, payin’ you lot to drive it all, bribing the boarder force mob. It’s a gently caress lot of money to piss up the wall just t’cover me in cow guts and engine parts.”

The atmosphere inside the roadhouse cools as Full Stop stomps in. She might be friendly, she might be with the helpful foreign bomb disposal experts, but her mighty presence is still enough to bring a dozen pairs of wary eyeballs her way. That is, until an ice cold beer is thrown her way. Then they knew she was alright.

Slamming down his beer, Johhno looks Monster and Jinx square in the eyes. “Thanks for dumping it for me, downright conscientious of you that is.” He sincerely thanks the two, insisting on shaking hands. "In fact, that's the kinda show of character I've not seen 'round here for donkeys. Dunno if you lot are interested or not, dunno how well you know Perth or nothin', but if you're thinkin' of grabbing some work while you're out west I have a few matters that could use a hand."

While Monster and Jinx were fielding possible employment opportunities, Veronika's attention had been grabbed by something else entirely. It was a certain something nobody in at the bar would even think twice about it being there any more. And something that none of her team-mates would know what is, or even care. But for a discerning expert, perhaps even fanatic, like Veronika it leapt out at her like a pit viper. Because she had all the classic tour posters that had come out to date, so for something new like this to be out meant that SHE has a new show out and it was on tour right now.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

"Bribe the border guards?" Monster squints. "Yeah, your boy definitely didn't do that. The whole border situation was a complete mess. In fact, we should probably give them some time to forget about that before trying to cross again."

Despite the fact that they were out in the middle of nowhere and coming off a nearly disastrous job, Monster can't help but be caught a little off guard as she shakes Johno's hand. "Thanks. I think we'll be around for a little bit, so we could totally handle a few - " Her head snaps back towards the entrance. "Wait, are they taking the truck?" She asks Jinx. "Ffffffffffuck me."

Looks like they might not have much choice.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


Jinx shrugs. She was in a combat unit, not logistics.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

Monster squats down and clutches her head in defeat. "We should have kept that other truck. I did this to myself."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


Jinx crouches down beside Monster, clanking a little as the armory on her back shifts. She pats the tiny nerd on the shoulder, and manages to almost be gentle.

"Aww, come on. It's not so bad here. The bar fella here likes us, we've gotta lie low for a bit anyway, and we can work up some money to go back. You wanna go back and beat up that guy who tried to blow up the cows?"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

Monster just nods sullenly.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Jinx
Edge: 2/2 PP: 3/3+1


"Okay, when we get back, we'll go beat up that guy who tried to blow up the cows. Okay, there you go, there you go."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Monster
EDG: 2/3 PP: 2/5

Monster lets out a defeated sigh and stands up. "Alright Johnno, what have you got? Know anyone you don't like that has at least one too many vehicles on their hands?"

Anything they would get would probably need a lot of work before taking it out over that long of a distance, but anything's better than trying to hoof it under the Outback sun.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply