Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I have a whole bunch of laptops I want to hardware test without booting to the local HDD (they're all slow as gently caress with leftover/corrupt boot data). A slim linux session would suit my needs perfectly. Would it make sense to create a bootable live environment stored on NFS somewhere to netboot to? Is that at all practical? Or would it be better to just use CDs or USB sticks.

If I were to go the netboot route, how would I get it to play nice with the Fog Imaging server I'm already running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Most bootable hardware tests I'm aware of either have official documentation for PXE booting or aren't very hard to get working with PXELINUX/iPXE.

I have a PXELINUX setup I like at home but I'm working on moving to iPXE so I don't need TFTP beyond the initial loader. http://netboot.xyz has a really nice iPXE setup I'm using for some inspiration.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
this thing kicks rear end, thanks a lot. i tried the usb option and it basically does what i need it to do out of the box, and I can just point it to load an iso somewhere from local network storage. i'll try the dhcp option tomorrow.

thanks again. :)

• Locked thread