Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40826257

quote:

Youths in Catalonia and the Basque Country have daubed the slogan "tourists go home" on some buildings - just as foreigners flock to Spain on holiday, spending millions of euros.

A spokesperson for leftist Catalans behind the protests said today's model of mass tourism was impoverishing working-class people.

quote:

In one dramatic incident, several masked assailants attacked a tourist bus in Barcelona, near the football stadium.

The slogan "tourism is killing neighbourhoods" was daubed on the bus and one of its tyres was punctured. None of the passengers were injured.

quote:

Arran says it opposes a model of mass tourism that "wants us as slaves" and that "turns the country into an amusement park that only benefits the bourgeoisie and capital!"

Thoughts? When I was at college I worked 2 jobs in a hotel and restaurant, so I guess that qualifies in the same area? If they scare off all the tourists, aren't they just hurting themselves and their economy?

Plus calling it an "invasion" when these people come, spend a lot of money, boost the economy, then leave, seems very untrue to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

spud posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40826257

Thoughts? When I was at college I worked 2 jobs in a hotel and restaurant, so I guess that qualifies in the same area? If they scare off all the tourists, aren't they just hurting themselves and their economy?

Plus calling it an "invasion" when these people come, spend a lot of money, boost the economy, then leave, seems very untrue to me.

go cry to dungeons and dragons about it, comprador

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

go cry to dungeons and dragons about it, comprador

Not sure what that means?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
tourism is absolutely an invasion

dollars and pounds are tools of imperialism

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

tourism is absolutely an invasion

dollars and pounds are tools of imperialism

I have some bitcoins.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
loving shoobies

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This seems massively off topic so far though.

No response to the actual BBC (pretty neutral source) article ?

Seems quite threatening and self-harming. Was hoping for some insight into that rather just someone espousing personal beliefs.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I laugh a little every time a Catalonian talks with their lisp.

ssthop vithisting our thities.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it's xenophobia with a veneer of 'leftism'. The worst part about tourists is that they sometimes say stupid poo poo, but they come and spend money, so who cares?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

rudatron posted:

it's xenophobia with a veneer of 'leftism'. The worst part about tourists is that they sometimes say stupid poo poo, but they come and spend money, so who cares?

powerful analysis itt :vince:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

This seems massively off topic so far though.

No response to the actual BBC (pretty neutral source) article ?

Seems quite threatening and self-harming. Was hoping for some insight into that rather just someone espousing personal beliefs.
WELCOME TO C SPAM

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE A MODERATOR

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
they're right, op

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's everyone's dream for people to show up, throw money at you, and then leave, never to return

these guys are spoiled

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm happy to take all tourists, and their money, that feel intimidated by these actions.

You get to see such sights in these parts, like 'the dead cat on the side of the road', and the 'flowers tied to the traffic pole, where some idiot killed another idiot in a car accident'.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

WELCOME TO C SPAM

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE A MODERATOR

Not really, just talk to rational people that have differing views.

Should this have gone in D&D?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

neymar deserved to leave, you ungrateful shits

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Seems extremely well thought out from an economic standpoint and definitively not just a xenophobic front.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

get that OUT of my face posted:

neymar deserved to leave, you ungrateful shits

How is a <googles> professional footballer, earning millions, related to people just visiting for tourism who have to deal with smoke bombs, intimidation, tyres being slashed and so on?

Please have some perspective.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

logikv9 posted:

it's everyone's dream for people to show up, throw money at you, and then leave, never to return

these guys are spoiled

They aren't the ones getting the money, or at least not enough to justify the huge dip in their standard of living.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

somehow getting the idea that this is more about independent Catalonia and not the left, OP

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Seems extremely well thought out from an economic standpoint and definitively not just a xenophobic front.

what do you mean by xenophobic specifically, in this context..

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

super sweet best pal posted:

They aren't the ones getting the money, or at least not enough to justify the huge dip in their standard of living.

So it is better to make sure noone has any money? I am not going to visit a place where I am attacked or intimidated.

So there is the huge dip, from people who don't enjoy such things.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i don't know how much of their economy is tied up in tourism but i don't see how visitors for parts of the year are ruining their lives

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you live in an area with a viable tourist industry, that creates local jobs, you're already really privileged.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rudatron posted:

If you live in an area with a viable tourist industry, that creates local jobs, you're already really privileged.

I'd rather be earning money than not, for sure. Do you have more to say on this?

It seems crazy to me that fairly young people would go this nuts about actually having jobs.

Scaring people, criminal damage, intimidation, racisim...

I could understand if they were in a place with no jobs because, well, there are no jobs, but this seems crazy.

spud has issued a correction as of 06:30 on Aug 5, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

no, thats why the first fukken response said go to d&d!!!!!!!!!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

So it is better to make sure noone has any money? I am not going to visit a place where I am attacked or intimidated.

your posting itt proves the contrary

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

no, thats why the first fukken response said go to d&d!!!!!!!!!

Alright mate, calm down. Screaming at people asking innocent questions was a thing of the past I thought.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
this spud guy's gonna revolutionize c-spam posting i can feel it

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is rationality weird here?

We used to have like 4 forums.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

spud posted:

i dunno about rational but they pretend to do that in d&d

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
spud's here to enlighten and civilize the dark horde

to bring the mattering

to release the piss tapes

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i for one like this thread a lot

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just linked a BBC article.

If you find it that hard talk about, then don't comment.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
C-SPAM means off-topic everything, everywhere, especially at night. You might have better luck when it hits daytime on the East Coast. Good thread and good topic though!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

Alright mate, calm down. Screaming at people asking innocent questions was a thing of the past I thought.

lol as if id ever type with caps

g e t r e a l n o o b

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

spud posted:

I just linked a BBC article.

If you find it that hard talk about, then don't comment.
freedom of speech motherfukker!!!!!!!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

logikv9 posted:

i don't know how much of their economy is tied up in tourism but i don't see how visitors for parts of the year are ruining their lives

having an economy centered around attracting tourist fuckos thats only gonna even be there part of the year is the problem

like, have you ever been to myrtle beach in november? its like an empty hell, but tackier

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

having an economy centered around attracting tourist fuckos thats only gonna even be there part of the year is the problem

like, have you ever been to myrtle beach in november? its like an empty hell, but tackier

yeah but at the same time if that's all you can get for your town or region then :shrug:

better than nothing and it's not like scaring away tourists is going to suddenly make business / money flow in from other routes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

logikv9 posted:

C-SPAM means off-topic everything, everywhere, especially at night. You might have better luck when it hits daytime on the East Coast. Good thread and good topic though!

No idea who you are, but thanks.

• Locked thread