Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

well you see, sex is not gender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9hCnw9fAFU

apparently it's all about sheaths

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

afen posted:

speakon

good connector, but the cables have a life of their own

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I like full size Display Port.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

thebigcow posted:

I like full size Display Port.

the little grabber thingies to keep the connector in never work right

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Captain Foo posted:

gently caress you

also, lc fiber connections are good whereas st connections are dog poo poo garbage

LC connectors are extremely fragile, and hard as gently caress to reverse polarity on if you need to because of the dumb package for LC pairs. Though I do like how small they are.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

LC connectors are extremely fragile, and hard as gently caress to reverse polarity on if you need to because of the dumb package for LC pairs. Though I do like how small they are.

Insert a small flatblade screwdriver into the clip and pop the individual connector out, it's not that hard

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gimme that sweet neutrik powercon

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
DMX op

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

powerlock is also a good connector

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone said soldering the wires into the device yet

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lame

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It really bothers me how the standard power connector for servers have no built-in retention mechanism, you're always just a slight cable yank away from disaster

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

It really bothers me how the standard power connector for servers have no built-in retention mechanism, you're always just a slight cable yank away from disaster

most servers that use those IEC connectors have pretty tight receptacles, you have to pull with a bit of force

between that and the fact that youll have redundant connectors and all your cables neatly wired and managed (right?) the risk is almost 0

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

you can get locking iec sockets but the plugs would need a pdu replacement.

http://www.ieclock.com/

think apc have a version of it as well.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

you can get locking iec sockets but the plugs would need a pdu replacement.

http://www.ieclock.com/

think apc have a version of it as well.

this literally isn't a problem that needs to be solved

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

pfff I have seen several big servers go down at work because someone hosed up the routing in the cable management arm and when the next poor tech tried to move it out of the way to get access to something it levered BOTH iec connectors out of the power supplies at the same time and took down the main HPUX database server that takes like an hour to boot back up

Also the rittal PDUs they bought last time has so pathetically weak springs in the outlets that I had to use velcro ties around every cable to make sure it wouldn't just vibrate itself out of the socket

If i'm ever speccing a new rack I am definitely requesting those neat locking connectors

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
magsafe to be safe

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Thanks Ants posted:

gimme that sweet neutrik powercon

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Anyone said lemo 00 yet? because lemo 00 or go home. Locking, non-oriented, small enough to suit all your high density applications and swiss made so you don't look like a poor:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i think the apc-7 video mentioned precision 1mm connectors. they're good to 110 ghz

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

cartridges and ram connectors

don't troll the thread please

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

fart simpson posted:

don't troll the thread please

the gold grill is awesome and i wont apologize for loving it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

just blow on it and try again

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

My favorite things about this:

1) Cisco are idiots that designed it this way.
2) People setting up the device just plug poo poo in and don't notice things like the boot prodding at the power/reset button.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
got 500+ pins to connect? Love BGAs? Has Amphenol got a solution for you!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it looks like the boots on cables plugged into ports 9 and 11 (?) would also block the usb ports

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

don't use boots, don't use cisco

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here are the connectors i use on my motorcycle

4mm bullet plugs, for simple 2-wire things like turn signals (put a heat shrink around them after connecting)

molex micro-fit for internal electronic connections that aren't going to be exposed to rain and sun

fully gasketed waterproof deutsch-style connectors for anything external

works for me

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

don't let idiots into your lab, hth

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

atomicthumbs posted:

i think the apc-7 video mentioned precision 1mm connectors. they're good to 110 ghz

That's the cost of the entire cable assembly. The connectors are only ~$500 each.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pfff I have seen several big servers go down at work because someone hosed up the routing in the cable management arm and when the next poor tech tried to move it out of the way to get access to something it levered BOTH iec connectors out of the power supplies at the same time and took down the main HPUX database server that takes like an hour to boot back up

Also the rittal PDUs they bought last time has so pathetically weak springs in the outlets that I had to use velcro ties around every cable to make sure it wouldn't just vibrate itself out of the socket

If i'm ever speccing a new rack I am definitely requesting those neat locking connectors

sounds like you work with mentally retarded people and buy garbage hardware!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

welcome to corporate IT :downs:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Raere posted:

male & female connectors on the human body

it's the dick and the rear end

close thread

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
our servers have metal wire things that come down from the power socket to clamp on to the power cable so it cant get out even if it got loose somehow

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

ban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:wth:!!!!!!

• Locked thread