Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss

BYOB is full of really creative people and I'm sure many of you have cool projects you're working on that you can post about and the rest of us can be in awe of.

I turned 30 this year so of course I've been going through an existential crisis w/r/t jobs and careers and the future and I realized that I've always oriented myself in the direction other people told me I should go in because it would lead to "success", I got a degree I didn't like and didn't want to pursue further and I've always hated my jobs even when they're cool as hell and have lots of perks. So I made some big changes and went back to school to get another degree, this time in Creative Writing and I've been pursuing my passion project of writing.

I wrote a handful of short stories like this one: Boots, But Only One Sock (this version has some editing mistakes but I'm lazy) about a homeless man confronting his past that people seem to like. It won a two-bit local contest I entered, it was good enough to get me a date with a cute girl early in the year and some people told me it made them cry :shrug:

And then I was feeling encouraged so I outlined a novel I want to write scene-by-scene. I've started dozens of novels and gave up 10-20k words in but this is the first time I outlined the whole thing. It's about a depressed, divorced, miserable therapist at his rock bottom when he takes on a new client, who is revealed to be the depressed alter ego of a retired superhero. I've been shooting for 3k words per day and I've kept it up almost every day for about two weeks now.

Anyway post about the projects you're working on so I can look at them and be inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I've finished writing a completely dialogue-less graphic novel and started the first draft of penciling. Thinking about the sheer amount of work it would take to ink/paint the several hundred pictures needed, it feels like an impossibly large task to finish it, so I pretty much gave up. Also, the story is probably a little too bizarre and off-putting to be marketable and I don't like spending my time on anything that's not going to make me money later. (except posting.)

Apart from that once I move back to America, I'm starting a marijuana legalization PAC in order to fund my goal of having my name on the ballot for president in 2024 in at least one state. (I don't care what state.)

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

deep dish peat moss

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I've finished writing a completely dialogue-less graphic novel and started the first draft of penciling. Thinking about the sheer amount of work it would take to ink/paint the several hundred pictures needed, it feels like an impossibly large task to finish it, so I pretty much gave up. Also, the story is probably a little too bizarre and off-putting to be marketable and I don't like spending my time on anything that's not going to make me money later. (except posting.)

Apart from that once I move back to America, I'm starting a marijuana legalization PAC in order to fund my goal of having my name on the ballot for president in 2024 in at least one state. (I don't care what state.)

That sounds awesome! I wanted to make graphic novels for a long time but I don't have the talent to do the art and I feel like that's most of it. Just do a few panels here and there! You don't need to sit down and hammer it all out in one go. Not marketable is a good thing when you're creating art because that means it's a niche that's not filled and you can never predict what's going to take off. What is the story about?

BoldFrankensteinMir

These sound like cool projects so far. Good on ya for persistence OP, that's the only way novels get wrote.

I'm working on my goofy CYOA that takes up way too much free time. Like for three years now, I've had countless crappy jobs during the day but when I come home I always have a pixelated fantasy setting (and some super cool players ) to keep my imagination fed.

Runner-up projects: I'm also currently working on a script about a washer-drier machine who rescues the very last babies after the apocalypse and fights the God of Chaos, AND the design for a series of music videos about an alien who grows anciently old trying to escape being shipwrecked on an asteroid.

alnilam

I'm going to share my current project, which I am not even sharing with many people IRL. It is sort of unbyob. I am learning 2 hunt.

the twist is I'm a vegetarian :wth:

well it's not really a twist but a lot of people are like "wtf how does that make sense" but the truth is like many vegetarians i object more to meat farming practices than i do to the very idea of killing and eating an animal, and as far as meat goes I think hunted meat is the most ethical, in my personal philosophy.

Basically I plan to have (a) child(ren) some day, and i feel like i am going to have to feed them (and my pregnant wife) some meat. Not in every meal but definitely sometimes while they growin. I probably will have to buy at least a little meat (ideally from a cool good farm), but I'd like a healthy fraction of what i feed them to be hunted. As for the supplemental meat i might end up buying, even to feel right doing that, I feel like I have to get comfortable with hunting first. I have this philosophy where it doesn't sit right with me to enjoy something if I'm unwilling to do the hard part involved. So even if I buy some meat sometimes, if I absolutely refuse to ever be the killer and butcher myself, then I'm not being honest with myself about what I'm consuming, I'm just letting someone else do the hard part in my name behind closed doors. At least that's how my brain views the world.

I also do really love animals a lot a lot, so I think it's going to be very emotionally difficult for me, but this is something I feel like I have to do for the reasons mentioned above.

Progress so far:
I've been practicing shooting hunting rifles, took a hunter safety course, got a hunting license, been reading some introductory material about it but having an IRL teacher is a necessity. I recently found out that a very good friend and camping buddy of mine who like me is vegetarian actually grew up a hunter, quit years ago, and is looking to get back into it with a similar philosophy as i ahve, so I've found a teacher. I was worried I'd ahve to look around for a friendly stranger to teach me. That could havae been fun and I bet I would have found a cool one but I'm kind of an unusual hunter and I'm glad I found someone very like minded to teach me how to do it. Like having grown up around a lot of hunters (extremely common in PA) I would say there are a lot of hunters who are extremely respectful towards their game, and then (at least here in PA) there are maybe just as many who are irreverent like rootin and tootin about killin stuff. I'm very glad that I found a hunting teacher who falls into the former camp because it would be hard for me to deal with the rootin and tootin while I'm trying to deal with my personal emotional difficulty of killing something. Also he's my good friend who I already enjoy hanging out and camping with so yay.

That has been my project recently and hopefully I will see some success this fall. This is the first time I've told almost anyone other than my wife and 2 frinds about this.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 8, 2017

BoldFrankensteinMir

That's really cool. It's not contradictory at all; that you've honed in specifically on factory farmed meat as what you really object to shows your moral stance is actually thought-out.

I don't know about where you live but here (Colorado) there are years where elk are too numerous and they literally give out hunting tags for free. So you can totally be a predator who specifically culls big herds in a really naturalistic fashion. Good hunting to you!

alnilam

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

That's really cool. It's not contradictory at all; that you've honed in specifically on factory farmed meat as what you really object to shows your moral stance is actually thought-out.

I don't know about where you live but here (Colorado) there are years where elk are too numerous and they literally give out hunting tags for free. So you can totally be a predator who specifically culls big herds in a really naturalistic fashion. Good hunting to you!

Thanks! Yeah in PA deer tags are very easy to get because (unfortunately due to humans driving natural predators out :rolleyes:) there is pretty much constantly a deer population problem and only hunting to keep it in check

deep dish peat moss

These sound like cool projects so far. Good on ya for persistence OP, that's the only way novels get wrote.

I'm working on my goofy CYOA that takes up way too much free time. Like for three years now, I've had countless crappy jobs during the day but when I come home I always have a pixelated fantasy setting (and some super cool players ) to keep my imagination fed.

Runner-up projects: I'm also currently working on a script about a washer-drier machine who rescues the very last babies after the apocalypse and fights the God of Chaos, AND the design for a series of music videos about an alien who grows anciently old trying to escape being shipwrecked on an asteroid.

I've always wanted to do some kind of interactive storytelling like a CYOA or running a D&D campaign because it sounds like it would be a lot of fun to write something that people are actually invested in and chomping at the bit for more of but I could never make it work. That takes a lot of dedication and I don't always know how to proceed when a player throws me a curveball and moves things in a different direction, it's hard to be consistently creative like that so three years of sticking with it is impressive!

I'm picturing the shipwrecked-alien music videos in claymation. Good projects!

deep dish peat moss

alnilam posted:

I'm going to share my current project, which I am not even sharing with many people IRL. It is sort of unbyob. I am learning 2 hunt.

Hunting is cool and good even though I don't do it and this is the best reason I've heard to learn to hunt. You will now also be tasked with saving us when the animals revolt.

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Hire me as your campaign manager.

----------------

BoldFrankensteinMir

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've always wanted to do some kind of interactive storytelling like a CYOA or running a D&D campaign because it sounds like it would be a lot of fun to write something that people are actually invested in and chomping at the bit for more of but I could never make it work. That takes a lot of dedication and I don't always know how to proceed when a player throws me a curveball and moves things in a different direction, it's hard to be consistently creative like that so three years of sticking with it is impressive!

I'm picturing the shipwrecked-alien music videos in claymation. Good projects!

Thank you, that's very kind praise. It definitely takes dedication and the players definitely do gently caress with you from day one. It's cool to have to think on your feet, I think that's the best part of GMing, especially for something weird and artsy like this.

The music videos are with puppets, you're close. I finished one a few years ago and am working towards the second. I have ideas for a total of 5... but that's a big dream right now.

Sig by Heather Papps

alnilam

he music videos are with puppets, you're close. I finished one a few years ago and am working towards the second. I have ideas for a total of 5... but that's a big dream right now.

Woah that's really cool

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

Woah that's really cool

ty nesamdoom!

cda

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

Woah that's really cool

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thanks everybody! That 1 Guy liked it so much he signed off on four more songs, so that's cool... If I can ever get the production teams/resources together again, heh. Right now I just have drawings (I'll post some when I get home).

Edit- aforementioned drawings:

These sketches sort of lay out the gimmick of the series: OVID (our little alien man) starts out in the glow of youth but becomes decrepit with age old, as attempt after attempt to get off this asteroid fails. However as he goes he gathers more and more alien tech- Imagine if Captain Olimar from Pikmin slowly turned into Samus from Metroid, upgrade by upgrade welded together out of xenotech. It's a story about perseverance and hope, told with no words, just images of a puppet scrambling to stay alive and make impossible machines work together. In space. To T1G songs.

For anybody interested in the music side, here's the song part two is storyboarded to (Ovid fights a giant whale in this part):

https://that1guy.bandcamp.com/track/whale-race

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 10, 2017

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
It's confidential

nobodygetshurt

trying to work on my Mudbox skills, sculpting characters:

nobodygetshurt

Here's an older Mudbox project:

alnilam

nobodygetshurt posted:

this fella is my friend

teen phone cutie

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I made a neat little contact book app

https://contact.meteorapp.com/

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
I make music sometimes

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/rick-and-mortuary-1

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

That sounds awesome! I wanted to make graphic novels for a long time but I don't have the talent to do the art and I feel like that's most of it. Just do a few panels here and there! You don't need to sit down and hammer it all out in one go. Not marketable is a good thing when you're creating art because that means it's a niche that's not filled and you can never predict what's going to take off. What is the story about?

it's about jean jacques de mairan only instead of discovering circadian rhythms, he discovers gummi bears, and murder

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

deep dish peat moss

Grump posted:

I made a neat little contact book app

https://contact.meteorapp.com/

This seems cool except I only ever contact one person :shrug: Maybe if I was a functional adult I would need this. Good work!

deep dish peat moss

Thanks for this link it brought back a flood of nostalgia to my high school days when I was in 4 grindcore bands that were all the same 2 members. That kind of music was really fun to make, I think the big difference between your sound and ours is that you actually play your instruments whereas we hit them with hammers and pissed on them.

I'm not a metal guy anymore but I dig the intro to Spambot

deep dish peat moss

Doctor Dogballs posted:

it's about jean jacques de mairan only instead of discovering circadian rhythms, he discovers gummi bears, and murder

Does he discover them at the same time or are these two separate events?

deep dish peat moss

I dig the decay here but also isn't this just what happens to all of us as we age? Is there something wrong with me?? Very cool! The big red hair monster from bugs bunny was one of my favorites as a kid so I'm imagining that Ovid is him but elmer fudd blasted him off to space.

deep dish peat moss

nobodygetshurt posted:

This guy is cool as hell. I wish I could do 3d modeling but I struggle enough with perspective in 2d. I am a cyclops irl, I don't mean this as a joke as I am actually blind in one eye and I'm bad at perspective. This guy reminds me of me

deep dish peat moss

I've been plugging away at my novel but I missed a couple days. Anyway I'm at 17,000 words and I figure I'm about 1/3 or 1/2 done with my initial draft, then I want to go back and add side-stories with minor characters and of course edit it.

I was going to post a really rough unedited version of what I have so far but I don't know where to host pdfs or long blocks of text.

Twenty Four

Good guitar, good drums, good bass! Also good speed watching RoTJ in like 1 minute in your sig!

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i operate the bradophone, which ceneters around this box

some people would say i make music with it

i didnt use the modular on my last mixtape just a little roland sampler

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
this is awesome & i'm proud of you all. i put together a live pun contest in my city along with a few episodes of a podcast i should ressureect. http://www.masspun.org/

crimes

Guillermus

Do other proyects like a restaurant or something like that count on this thread?

BoldFrankensteinMir

I dig the decay here but also isn't this just what happens to all of us as we age? Is there something wrong with me?? Very cool! The big red hair monster from bugs bunny was one of my favorites as a kid so I'm imagining that Ovid is him but elmer fudd blasted him off to space.

Thanks! Definitely Ovid's aging mirrors human aging- the central point of the story is you can't escape mortality, it's an idea I worked on a lot while working at rest homes. I think the copy I have for a series of teaser posters sums it up best:

Against loneliness there are broadcasts
Against radiation there are shields
Against gravity there are thrusters
But what feat of engineering
Can guard you against time?

A far as I can tell nobody has ever shown cinematic aliens aging (even when they really should have, like in Super 8), so maybe I'm on to something new?

(Also, Gossamer the Looney Tunes monster is totally an influence, so good call)

Edit- please do post your manuscript when you're comfortable with it, Goons make great proofreaders!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 16, 2017

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
i want to make a little web applet game based off a very janky web game i used to play called HUNTED TO EXTINCTION (lol) that was basically pvp final fantasy v and it lowkey ruled

im probably gonna take a crack at the core functionality in angular bc angular is all i know but every time i think about actually balancing the combat system and getting enough playtesting data my eyes roll back in my head and i start convulsing violently

anyway if ur an old school jrpg fan would you play a game where you made a team of 4 little dudes and battled them against someone elses 4 little dudes y/n?

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

AverySpecialfriend posted:

i want to make a little web applet game based off a very janky web game i used to play called HUNTED TO EXTINCTION (lol) that was basically pvp final fantasy v and it lowkey ruled

im probably gonna take a crack at the core functionality in angular bc angular is all i know but every time i think about actually balancing the combat system and getting enough playtesting data my eyes roll back in my head and i start convulsing violently

anyway if ur an old school jrpg fan would you play a game where you made a team of 4 little dudes and battled them against someone elses 4 little dudes y/n?

if this paves the way to pvp fft i am all the way in

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
well they had an advance wars web game so srpg applets deffo have a precedent, but advance wars was already a game with pvp and thinking about balancing fft mechanics for pvp makes my eyes roll back in my head and i start violently convulsing

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
i had an idea for a game which is basically dungeon crawl football where treasure/equipment can either be used by your character or held to power up the character themselves. players would have a team of 4, dungeon was randomly created from a common pool of tiles, and randomly spawned "altars" would let characters deposit treasure to avoid it getting stolen by enemies.

yeah turns out game design really frikkin hard.

crimes

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

I love hearing about goon projects, y'all get up to some awesome stuff

Like this, which is friggin' phenomenal. Excited to see the rest of it!

I'm working on an album with a few friends right now, trying to mix my Spanish finger picking stuff with their ambient prog stuff and rapped/spoken word vocals. No idea how it's going to turn out, but it's fun to screw around with a bunch of different styles

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i had an idea for a game which is basically dungeon crawl football where treasure/equipment can either be used by your character or held to power up the character themselves. players would have a team of 4, dungeon was randomly created from a common pool of tiles, and randomly spawned "altars" would let characters deposit treasure to avoid it getting stolen by enemies.

yeah turns out game design really frikkin hard.

sounds more like calvinball than football ahahaha

i bet you could make a good calvinball game with roguelike rules though, but instead of items and monsters the ruleset and playing field got randomly cobbled together every game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

AverySpecialfriend posted:

i bet you could make a good calvinball game with roguelike rules though, but instead of items and monsters the ruleset and playing field got randomly cobbled together every game

I've heard a lot of goon game ideas and this is by far the most interesting. I see the little icon already, a bandana mask on a volleyball with a little flag behind it.

• Locked thread