Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

after kb's run in shine 3...
extremely yes

(predicting this is the only time itt i agree w/ quid)

Hahaha man I just remembered spending the entirety of Shine 3 thinking KB was breadcrumbing messages to me when he wasn't :eng99:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Is like to formally object to the distinct lack of Jimson in this game. :argh:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Is this a breadcrumb? I think it's a breadcrumb. :eng99:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

Lately if I am playing I am scum, and if I'm lurking my rear end off I am town, but I just lurked two games in a row as scum and town so I would focus on my play because my meta is not very helpful.

##vote Quidnose

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

lmao remember when everyone dogpiled me for trying to use this line of logic

I love how "my meta is not very helpful" can mean two different things, both of which apply to what quid said.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

Say what you mean. Are you calling Quid scummy?

I see nothing wrong with his post.

I like wordplay. I was saying that you can interpret his post as either:

"My meta isn't a useful tool to figure out alignment"

or

"My meta is that is that I myself am not useful for finding scum"

And I was making the (mostly tongue-in-cheek) statement that both statements apply to quid.

##vote Asiina - I can't imagine anyone actually thinking I was being serious / making an alignment call on Quid this early in the game.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

How is me asking for you to explain your vague post doing either of those things?

Murmur Twin posted:

[...]making an alignment call on Quid this early in the game.[...]

Asiina posted:

Are you calling Quid scummy?

I mean admittedly I read your question more literally and less like "explain what you're saying".

I was more teasing Quid for lurking through his last few games than I was calling him scummy. We were knee-deep in jokephase so I figured that was clear?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

well she is my sister from another myster

:glomp:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

Hats are you awkward new to scum, be honest

Hats played one of my all-time favorite scum games of any player ever. :catholic:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

I like Bif's case work, and while I think spending a lot of time talking about the flavor kill is a waste of time, there is enough oddness with this that I think she's on to something here.

Also this post feels super awkward to me - like it's a whole lot of words to say "me too".

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Don't dangle it dude, just post it.

Podima posted:

[b]A few quick reminders before I start the game day.

- Flavor is important. Claim with care!

:colbert:

Max posted:

I'm telling him to either post it or stop talking about it.

---

Oh I forgot the "or don't."

While I'm not going to outright call Max scum for it I can see a world where this was an attempt to rolefish instead of an honest mistake.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

gif Probst posted:

Mmt has not owned me yet so she cannot be scum

TMMadman posted:

Also, I think this is right:

##vote MMT

She hasn't poked me yet at all and that is usually one of the first things she does when I'm in a game. Combined with what I feel is labored reasoning to vote Asiina, I think this is a good vote.

Jeez guys it's like the beginning of D1, even if I do keep to patterns you need to give me a bit of time to follow them :j:

TMM - I'm like 99% sure this is you just voting me to get a reaction, but for the sake of playing along - can you go into more detail about how my vote on Asiina was something I'd only do as scum?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Eight Dollars posted:

It could be slightly scummy that MMT's vote is still on Asiina but Asiina hasn't answered her question about that whole thing and it's really early in the day.

I'm trying to gauge if 8Bux is faking content here - what is even slightly scummy about me leaving the solitary vote on someone this early on D1?

* (hi btw! really glad to see you playing Mafia again :j:)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

long as I'm towning it all up in here, here is my effortpost now on how we can try and powergame the poo poo out of these train cars.

:words:

Oh noooo I can't just ##follow Bif and have faith that you figured everything out already :sadpeanut:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm starting to feel the case on MT. I remember her town casing focusing more on finding really good insightful poo poo from people's cases even on D1 to judge if it's fake or not, but not getting defensive at all by focusing on the people casing her. Her cases spoke for themselves to prove her alignment.

I think you're basing your memory of me on one specific game where you happened to be scum who knew that I was correct?

But if you want my honest-to-god best read at the moment, it's ##vote Quid

Quidnose posted:

There it is, the first post in D1 that I feel acts like it's offering content but in reality is floating ideas and then back tracking on them.

##vote Hatlord

---

Hats are you awkward new to scum, be honest

This doesn't look like town who found something interesting and wants to find out if he's right, it looks like scum who wants it on the record that he has an opinion.

quote:

I like Bif's case work, and while I think spending a lot of time talking about the flavor kill is a waste of time, there is enough oddness with this that I think she's on to something here.

As mentioned before - this looks far more like fabricated content than what he's accusing Hats of putting out there.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

quote:

Ehhh, I really dislike that MMT case on me because I think it's fairly lazy to put two completely separate posts together and present them as if they were on top of each other. I called out Hats, then he responded at which point I further said "Hmm, not sure I like how you are reacting to this, are you new scum?"

So MMT, why did you present those as being basically the same post? It's not a very strong case if you remember that he, you know, said poo poo in between.

I usually put multiple related quotes from one person in one box separated by context for readability's sake, separated by three -'s to indicate a different post. Before I started doing that, people would in turn skip over my posts because they seemed too long. I've been doing that for literally years, it's not a new thing, and that's the first time I've ever seen someone try to spin that as suspicious.

Quidthulhu posted:

And as a result I got a lot of information about how I shouldn't be dismissing him as newbie scum. That makes his hemming and hawing look a lot worse to me.

"A lot of information"? From that?

Your original case was that he was feigning his opinions, and then rather than case him or press him on other scummy things he did you posted "be honest, are you newbie scum?". And then, despite his hemming and hawing making him look a lot worse to you, you don't have any follow up questions and you don't seem particularly interested in fleshing out your read any further.

Quid - did Hats musing about the N0 kill or implying that he has information about it impact your opinion of him at all?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

Hal, what's your deal with "me too"-ing MMT's bad case, please explain

Quidthulhu posted:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

MT what is your opinion on Hats, and Jeabus, particularly in relation to the cases me and Birb are making against them

I think that Hats musing about multiple killing factions / why the N0 kill was scum is the scummiest thing about him, but it's nowhere near conclusive and other than that his play this game seems consistent with how he usually sounds.

I understand the logic behind the Jeabus case but to me it's entirely plausible that maybe he didn't just read too much into the N0 flavor/results and assumed he was town because there was no scumdoc in his PM. The fact that so many people are jumping on him (especially this early in the game) makes me feel like it's a good but incorrect case, and that scum are trying to use it to drive a mislynch.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

it's not that knowing the flavor makes you confirmed town, LMac. It's how you observe people trying to use it, trying to suss things out. For example, you just dropping it in a big steaming pile here to make everything obvious for everyone now seems to be a scummy use of it.

Anti-town, maybe, but I can't see why scum would post that in the thread instead of the scumdoc.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

quote:

Also this is just restating what I already said so what even is your paragraph long question here? Didn't you ask this initially?

You made a case on Hats for hemming and hawing and you asked him about being new. You didn't mention either of these posts:

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is having the N0 flip be scum a thing that happens? I mean, I know I'm getting all setup-spec-y right out of the starting gates here, but having a Godfather as the first flip seems to imply another faction that has a kill, whether it's SK or another scum faction. Or a vigilante who's feeling especially murderous, I guess?

I mean, I've got other stuff feeding into the setup spec, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to blare it all out immediately before I've seen anything else.

So I'm asking you what, if any, these posts had on your opinion of Hats' alignment.

quote:

It's also weird that you voted for me and then empty quoted my opinion to express your own ideas on the matter. Where am I scum in there, Murmur?

What about my case on you looks different from how I normally do it?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

So I'm asking you what effect, if any, these posts had on your opinion of Hats' alignment.

mafia edit

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

I already answered this, MMT, I pretty clearly delineated my thought process. It's feeling like you're not actually reading me at this point.

I'm talking specifically about the quotes I posted from Hats that you don't address in any of your casework. You mentioned his post with cases on other people and that he's not new but you don't mention anything about Hats' ruminating about the N0 kill.

So again I ask - did those specific posts impact your opinion of Hats? If so, how? If not, why not?

Quidthulu posted:

It's also weird that you voted for me and then empty quoted my opinion to express your own ideas on the matter. Where am I scum in there, Murmur?

Murmur Twin posted:

What about my case on you looks different from how I normally do it?

And this question definitely wasn't rhetorical - what about my case on you stuck out as different enough from how I usually make cases that you thought it was worth mentioning?

I mean, if it's not clear, I'm grilling you on this because I think you're scum faking content and I think you're avoiding answering what I'm asking.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

oh wait, no you did, I just didn't think much of it at the time:

carry on, back to Hats.

I'd love a second opinion on Quid if you're going tit for tat.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Eight Dollars posted:

Hey MMT, what do you think about Max and pera? I promise I'll look at Quid tomorrow while I'm at work as payment.

Max: null-lean-town. He hasn't done anything that's given me a strong alignment read either way but that isn't abnormal for d1.

pera: null-lean-scum. She's been posting in the thread but her only real "this is who I think the scum is" case is agreeing with an already established case on Little Mac*. She way she's sort of commenting on random goings-on makes me feel like she's looking for stuff to say, but not necessarily trying to find scum.

*I don't buy the Little Mac case at all and feel like the people pushing read as scummier than he does.

King Burgundy posted:

If that is the case, who are the scum that are using it to drive a miscuddle?

At the time it was more of a hunch - like as a rule if a d1 case is so good that no one seems to be disagreeing with it, I'm skeptical of it.

While I wouldn't call it "trying to drive a miscuddle" since people have more or less backed off of it I'd say I'm suspicious to some degree of all of Bif, Asiina, and Quid (all of whom said they thought the Jeabus case was good).

I'm off to bed but this has been a really fun d1 so far :j:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

you're not suss on Birb who also thought the Jeabus case was good? Seeing as he made the case.

Yeah, my gut says that Birb is town who made a case that was good but wrong, and I suspect that at least some of the people who jumped on it with "hey yeah that is a good case!" are opportunistic scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

MMT you are harping on something that has absolutely no merit to my case whatsoever. I've already said that I haven't really reviewed all the N0 setup spec stuff and have been looking more at what people are saying about it / each other because I think that's more useful. You are picking some Hats quotes that are before the delineation I posted of my suspicion, which again, timeline wise goes like this

-[everything about N0 that I guess Hats was involved in and which I haven't read at all]
-People start earnestly casing people based on the N0 speculation
-Hats makes a statement about the current cases which I saw as being very hedgey
-I call Hats out on this
-Hats and other people make more statements
-I ask Hats if he is new scum to gauge his reaction
-Other people say Hats is not new, Hats says he is more often awkward as town than scum.

Phoneposting.

Ok so you could have just said "no" when I asked if Hats' n0 stuff affected your read. The fact that your reaction to being suspicious of him was to ask him if he's scum instead of casing him doesn't feel town at all to me but we can agree to disagree.

Instead, you got super defensive and tried to throw shade on me for the way I constructed the case (by combining quotes in single boxes, something I've been doing forever now). So for a third time I ask - when you posted the thing about "why'd you emptyquote my case?", what made you say that? How is how I cased you different from how I normally case people?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Mithross posted:

Just finished a (slightly intoxicated) reread:

When I first read LM's reaction it came across as a bit scummy, but at the second pass I think it's just the tone of his posts.

Ditto the Jeebus stuff. I'm basically writing off the whole alignment thing, really, but a quick look shows that Jeebus really has started all his games here (all three) with that post. Without that the strongest case on him is "Your AV is bad", which, while I have heard worse D1 cases, still isn't worth a vote.

I also don't really see a case on hats.

Mith is starting to ping me

The fact that he quantified his reads as "slightly intoxicated" pinged me as slightly scummily self-consciousness. That by itself wouldn't bother me, but he then follows it up with town reads and cases on lurkers which are both things that I usually attribute to scum (because they're easy to make).

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

gif Probst posted:

i still like where my vote is, i am also comfortable voting for peramene or king burgundy today. i don't read enough to vote for anybody else.

Wait why KB?

And can you clarify your read on Hats more? I haven't seen him do anything that's out of the ordinary for how he normally plays as town.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

Speaking of poo poo, I don't want to hear a bunch about what's usually the case or how things usually go, or what's considered standard. In a game where flavor explicitly stated to matter, Mac broadcast that information for no reason I can discern on the assumption it wouldn't hurt. Pending something more substantial, good night & good luck.

##vote peramene

This feels logically flawed in a way I wouldn't expect from town peramene. If Mac is scum, then broadcasting that information didn't hurt anyone because it means that scum already had that information. The only way that broadcasting the information would be bad is if Mac were town, but then it doesn't make any sense to vote for him for it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Someone read over pera's last post and explain to me how her read on Mac can possibly be genuine?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

Ehhh, I really dislike that MMT case on me because I think it's fairly lazy to put two completely separate posts together and present them as if they were on top of each other.

---

but the fact that you're continuing to push this narrative of my faking content here when I've clearly laid out for you my thought process three times....I think it's you who's faking content, MMT.

##vote MMT

I'm just going to keep asking you this until you address it - what was your thought process behind the bolded statements above? How is my play this game different from other games you've seen me play as town?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

Flavor matters, Mac hosed up, doesn't want to see why, that's good enough for me on d1.

Quidthulhu posted:

Thiiiiis doesn't feel like a logical leap for town. I read peramene's post and went "yeah that's a good point, keep info to the chest" not "well but if SCUM ALREADY KNEW THAT"

Also, we've had multiple scum factions in these games before, so he could still be clueing in a group that is not on HIS scumteam.

If Mac is scum, then he didn't gently caress up. All he did was share info that everyone already knew. If Mac hosed up, then he's town. But then it doesn't make sense to vote for him.

pera voting for Mac doesn't align with a logical thought process. It's a fake case.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

tldr I came out to play Mafia and honestly I feel so attacked right now

Please don't feel attacked! Literally all I'm saying is that I believe you were randomly assigned a scum role instead of a town one, it has nothing to do with my (extremely positive) opinion of you as person :glomp:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

try not to case yourself dude, ladies is watchin'

For the sake of interacting instead of just accusing - what're your opinions of me/quid's alignments? :palmon:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

Ehhh, I really dislike that MMT case on me because I think it's fairly lazy to put two completely separate posts together and present them as if they were on top of each other.

re-posting these for reference

Quidthulhu posted:

But she's not. She hasn't really made a case on me except....I am not answering her questions how she likes? Like, what is the actual case on me, she and now Sandwolf both are dropping "faking content" but prove it? Where am I doing that?

My case on you is that:

(a) I have been doing the thing where I bunch similar quotes into one box to make my posts readable for years now.
(b) You and I have probably played... what, 20? 30? games together in that span.
(c) You've never acted like it was suspicious in any of those games. (in fact, no one has)
(d) I don't understand what was weird about quoting your opinion and then expressing mine - as far as I know, that is also just me playing Mafia the way I normally do.
(e) You brought these up specifically in response to me casing you.

And so I'm trying to ask what specifically stood out at you that prompted you to be suspicious of my posting style this game, because to me the most likely reason is that you're scum who was trying to discredit my case (moreso than town who was legitimately weirded out by my posting)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

imo targeting interesting people like us early may not be anti-town but it sure is anti-fun

These are all things I think are fun

(a) over-analyzing games
(b) trying to read people
(c) that feeling when you correctly pick out the scum
(d) interacting with you, both in and out of games :j::respek::j:

I agree that you dying on D1 would be less fun! Play your best town game and make it a moot point :)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

I got that meme, peramene, had a lol when people started responding to it earnestly.

:eng99:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

imo targeting interesting people like us early may not be anti-town but it sure is anti-fun

Although thinking about this further, I think I'm willing to play the KB gambit for D1 and go after a lurker. Just so it's record, I am suspicious to some degree of (pera, Quid, Asiina, bif) but they're all people I think tend to participate.

tpink posted:

What's up useless D1 buddy :gbsmith:

I am really happy that this game is so active right off the bat, but this avalanche of posts is already giving me anxiety. But I am keeping up!

##vote tpink - the only time Mafia has ever given me anxiety has been when I'm scum and the game is moving so fast that I'm afraid I'll screw up if I post. (recent example) This post reads like scum who is self-conscious about posting something that will get him cased.

Off the top of my head Mithross would be my second choice for low-content posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

It'd be better than a no-lynch, I guess, but "not particularly attached" is an accurate summation. That said it's still be the strongest day 1 "case" I've ever made

Moreso than this one?

Hahaha I mean it in the sense that Quid is defending himself and making cases so he's more likely to make it obvious that's he's scum (or town) down the road than someone who isn't posting content.

• Locked thread