Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Hi. I posted a few months ago about a Kilimanjaro hike and safari over Christmas and I'm ready to book.

I've read a bit and the Trip Advisor reviews-- while often unreliable-- seem especially so for this trip. I've read accusations of paying for reviews and TA not acting on that information. The Inca Trail group I used was awesome and Goon recommended. I would love tour group recommendations for Kilimanjaro and Tanzania or Kenyan safaris. Thanks!

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Saladman posted:

We used Base Camp Tanzania (http://basecamptanzania.com/) which was almost 8 years ago. I emailed a ton of operators, and I think they were the cheapest by a reasonable margin. Truck was old but fine, guide was good and spoke English, food was really bare-bones (lots of rice) but fine. The guy who ran Base Camp Tanzania, Ahmed, was nice and very responsive to our emails and requests. Met him in person briefly before we set out from Arusha. If you really need to save a few hundred bucks pp I'd consider it though now that I'm older I'd probably spring for extra for the food. We didn't since you never know if you'll get a good cook even if you pay a little extra, unless you pay -way- extra and go for one of those luxury camping safaris, which are insane.

Someone else I knew, and randomly ran into at Lake Manyara (super bizarre) was on Leopard Tours. We saw a lot of people on Leopard and they seemed like the biggest operator and their food was good and their trucks pretty new. IIRC Leopard Tours was like +25% the price for the same itinerary we did with Base Camp Tanzania.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Zara seemed reasonable so I might use them. Roy was surprisingly expensive at ~$4,500 for 5D safari (mix of lodge and tent) and 6D climb.

I have a friend who also did Base Camp Tanzania for many of the same reasons you outlined (including price) and thought it was reasonable. He also did Kilimanjaro in 4D (probably actually 5D accounting for the arrival day) and thinks I'd get bored on the 7D, but I'm also going with someone who has basically no hiking/camping experience and we both live at sea level. 7D it is. We're basically going to do the CA Six Pack of Peaks and then run Baldy every or every-other weekend until the trail gets too bad to get him into shape, and I got hit pretty hard by elevation sickness a few weeks back at 10.5K ft so it won't hurt me to do it either.

I've also suggested to my buddy that we may want to do the safari first as at least the crater is at like 6K-7K ft and that may help a little with acclimation.

• Locked thread