Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RICKIE IS DUE, DAMMIT

(rickie, pls)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Apparently they're moving the PGA Championship to May in 2019.

Attempt to get more attention on it? Because man that seems like it would put it in competition with a lot of other events.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin made a good point that this also opens up a lot more southern courses to play as well.

quote:

Moving a major to May opens up Sun Belt courses to host—they’re just too drat hot in August. As Golf Digest notes, a major hasn’t been held in Texas since 1969 or Florida since 1987. The potential drawback is that some northern courses might be a little chilly in May—the 2023 PGA Championship is scheduled for Oak Hill in Rochester, N.Y., for example.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

There aren't that many major-caliber courses in the south relative to the north. The US Open will continue to get better tracks relative to the PGA.

Yeah I kinda wondered about that too. Offhand in the southeast I can think of like Augusta and Bay Hill and... that's about it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

I dunno if I'd consider Bay Hill a major-caliber course. It's a good tournament course, but not sure if it's major tournament good. Which begs the question, what elevates a course from good for a regular PGA tournament to PGA major tournament ready?

I'd imagine its a combination of capacity for fans, media, and players, ability to dial up conditions, length or ability to be made longer through temporary tips tee boxes, quality of the grass itself, etc. There'd have to be a lot of different factors.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My dad got to play Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run a couple times and he absolutely loved them.

Pretty sure WS got a few PGA championships and senior opens too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jason Day is a fuckin' hero

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Rickie can easily take the pool lead with a good round if Hideki starts the feels the pressure of the lead and drops a round of E or +1, especially since Jason Day is in his pairing.

GOOD :q:

Joking aside though goddamn what a round by Hideki.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Give me more grass takes, JL :munch:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

go a rickie

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy drat i'm probably late to this but rickie finishing with a 67 is good poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yesssssssssssss thank you rickie

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

actually yeah how do we want to do that if JL and i are tied

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

let's kickstarter a flight for JL to go to Scotland and you two can have a 36 hole playoff.

hahahaha deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeh i'm good with that. $10 to each winner

money for me is sgtbenwilcox at gmail

• Locked thread