Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
What's the reasoning behind wanting to upgrade the shocks/brakes right away? Would it be cheaper to just run stock everything and replace them at smaller intervals?

Also the Ford Transit Connect can be a pretty awful vehicle, especially for winter. Low ground clearance, gutless and the only way to open the hood is through a keyed mechanism under the front badge which fills up with snow and ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Would the total increase in stuff in the car exceed the weight it was designed for? If the car could hold four adults that's quite a bit of weight you've got to play with already. Or is this a matter of the car behaving differently if it's constantly at capacity?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

That's one thing I'm hoping the thread can guide me on: if I have to choose between an Element with say 100k miles for $5k or 150k miles for $3k, assuming no damage beyond standard wear-tear, am I better off buying the 150k and putting a grand into replacing belts/plugs/pads/etc or am I smarter to buy the new one that has more life in its stock parts? I bought a Suzuki Sidekick once that was kinda clapped-out but had good bones, and I was thinking I was smart because I could use the money I saved to put in Old Man Emu suspension and ceramic breaks, but then before I could do so it got stolen and presumably chop-shopped so I haven't actually put the idea into practice.

Option 2 you get new parts and save a grand, theoretically. The gamble with trying to save on replacing the parts and getting a lower mileage car is that the parts might need replacing shortly after you get it anyway.

As for ventilation, look into trailer/rv roof vents with electric fans that are run off a small solar battery system.

• Locked thread