Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
NBA LIVE 18
No really guys this time we got it, we have the WNBA. please buy us

YOU ARE THE ONE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9HYF3bma0
(DNA is a real good song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcNqzazrg94

THE RESPECT ON THE STREETS HELP YOU EARN THE RINGS IN THE LEAGUE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E5z7czdnME

ADDED FUNDAMENTAL BASKETBALL MODE(no but seriously this is actually really cool)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.gp.nbalivecompanion&hl=en

If you want your ugly loving face in the game.

The Demo for NBA LIVE 18 is out August 11th.

Still no release date, so who knows if it actually comes out.

If you wanna pre-order

quote:

Pre-order THE ONE Edition now and get 33% off at participating retailers.

NBA 2K18
yeah lmao we know y'all really aren't about to buy NBA Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwBqitrE3ww

KD's theme song.

Look at some pretty pictures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKG8ONbF9kA&t=1s

They are adding more drama in the My GM mode, where players will get mad and talk to the GM about stuff. (Hint: Don't play My GM if you hate that stuff. Just stick to My League which gives you full control)

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/29/16059956/nba-2k18-mygm-story-my-league

2K is seemingly doing their normal visual upgrades, and tweaking modes and AI routines. They will probably add some more animations or something but I don't expect any major changes in Gameplay as it's decentlyenough. Hopefully AI is better but they make the AI better and worse in different ways all the time.

Have some bullet points

quote:

The team created a new physics-focused system that always accounts for a player’s size, acceleration, and speed before compiling the animations available in a particular circumstance.
A new shooting feedback system gives you the context to understand why your shot did or didn’t go in.
This year you can control where the pass goes by how long you hold the basic passing button.
Visual Concepts also put a lot of emphasis in opening up the triple threat possibilities for skilled big men.
When the ball does pop free, there’s all this cool stuff that can play out. Guys can get shoved while they are chasing the ball down for a loose ball foul.
Visual Concepts is making sure the lazier defenders stay true to life via a new system they jokingly refer to as “artificial stupidity.”
System proficiency also plays a role in roster formation in MyDynasty…

NBA 2K's "prelude" demo comes out September 8th

Game comes out September 19th

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I believe live will be fun this year. Will play demo and quote this post

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Good op. Live earned a rental with the wnba. Thats too loving cool.

Gonna dunk on all the women with Griner and make digital Diggins my gf

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea unless Live really blows me away with the demo it's a rental exploration for sure, but nice to see it's back and maybe they can keep 2k on their toes for a change

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Can I swap the Suns for the Mercury so I can finally play as a good team in the NBA?

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'll be the token poster that buys Live over 2k18 this year.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Which game will be the first to have playable exile in China/Turkey in their story mode

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Which game will be the first to have playable exile in China/Turkey in their story mode

That one year where myCareer was coming in on 10 day contracts in like January was really cool and they should do that again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

That one year where myCareer was coming in on 10 day contracts in like January was really cool and they should do that again.

Yeah that is still my favorite Myplayer execution.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/895676131201830912

So lets see this dumb demo, I created an NZ account to download this demo

Edit:

Lmao if you preorder NBA Live you get it for like 40 bucks.

Edit 2

Fuuuucking Steven A. Smith is on my screen

Fuuuuuck this gaaaaame

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 10, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Man, I forget just how loving good EA's presentation is on their NBA stuff.

They consistently eat 2K's lunch in terms of menu deign and UI.

The using an argument between Max Kellerman, and Stephen A to give a background and flavor to "The One™" story is a cool idea.

the Gameplay still isn't really clicking with me though. I'm mostly just bad.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165939698

For me dicking around a bit in the game. And starting off the story mode before I had to go back to work.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Does it still play like a mobile game with controller support?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
using steven a as a hype man for career mode is so drat genius

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Metapod posted:

using steven a as a hype man for career mode is so drat genius

this is the best worst thing

edit: also not gonna lie, offering the big preorder bonus as a fuckin straight discount is actually pretty brilliant. There's no way I'm spending 60 bucks twice on basketball but hey, maybe if the demo really gets me hard I can see spending less.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
unironically pumped to play the live demo tomorrow after hearing SAS

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm watching a dude's stream and he's a bit down on Live in general but it seems interesting. I'm bracing myself for another case of 'Live really understands what the 'basketball experience' people want is but 2K gets the gameplay better' but what I'm seeing just as an observer looks solid.

edit: I also love that they clearly couldn't decide on what kind of injury you're coming back from in the storymode so they just used everyone's idea and it sounds like your leg just loving exploded.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 10, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I'm watching a dude's stream and he's a bit down on Live in general but it seems interesting. I'm bracing myself for another case of 'Live really understands what the 'basketball experience' people want is but 2K gets the gameplay better' but what I'm seeing just as an observer looks solid.

edit: I also love that they clearly couldn't decide on what kind of injury you're coming back from in the storymode so they just used everyone's idea and it sounds like your leg just loving exploded.

Stephen was screaming about an ACL IIRC.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dexo posted:

Stephen was screaming about an ACL IIRC.

I heard ACL, torn meniscus, and I think something about an actual bone break too, I can only assume the dramatic twist will be that he got ambushed by a rival with a baseball bat before a game or something.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Made a NZ psn to download the demo and wow. Games are expensive in NZ. Injustice is $120, which is still 87 USD. Their minimum wage is 15, but still

Is the Stephen A Smith thing a joke or is his likeness really in this game?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's real baby

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zelah posted:

Made a NZ psn to download the demo and wow. Games are expensive in NZ. Injustice is $120, which is still 87 USD. Their minimum wage is 15, but still

Is the Stephen A Smith thing a joke or is his likeness really in this game?

it's literally him, it's an in universe show with Max Kellerman

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 11, 2017

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Oh my god. It's real, and it's spectacular. Am I a SAS fan now???

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

sexpig by night posted:

this is the best worst thing

edit: also not gonna lie, offering the big preorder bonus as a fuckin straight discount is actually pretty brilliant. There's no way I'm spending 60 bucks twice on basketball but hey, maybe if the demo really gets me hard I can see spending less.

It would really be something if they did what 2K did to EA back in 2005 (2004?) when they put NFL2K5 out for $19.99 against Madden's full MSRP. Drop Live 18 down to $20 and really throw the kid gloves off.

Can't wait to try the demo this weekend. I liked Live 16 better than 2K16 gameplay-wise, but the gameplay in the 2k17 Prelude impressed me so much that I jumped ship to that. This year will hopefully be more interesting.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

The problem for me with that is that it totally screwed up your rookie season, the next year you would be a standard player and you would never have a chance for ROTY or all star rookie team.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Which one was it that you played summer league with a bunch of scrubs? I kinda missed that.

The college thing takes way too long, especially with so many mandatory cutscenes (Kobe/B. Jordan, the intro to the first college game, etc).

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
Isn't Live coming out in December? Why are they doing a demo so early? Surely they are just shooting themselves in the foot, because if 2K is good this year then whos gonna buy Live in December.

I just hope MyCareer has a bit of Life Sim too it as well, do dumb poo poo on social media, get caught with strippers, DUI's, fights with team mates..

I did like the concept of getting your own court in 2K17 i just hope they expand on it, and not animate me walking out of it everytime of course.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Isn't Live coming out in December? Why are they doing a demo so early? Surely they are just shooting themselves in the foot, because if 2K is good this year then whos gonna buy Live in December.

I just hope MyCareer has a bit of Life Sim too it as well, do dumb poo poo on social media, get caught with strippers, DUI's, fights with team mates..

I did like the concept of getting your own court in 2K17 i just hope they expand on it, and not animate me walking out of it everytime of course.

it's coming in a bit over a month with 2K, the December thing was a placeholder date

I also like having your own pad and court and all, kinda a bummer that for all the neat RPGish things Live seems to be doing your between match screen seems to be just you in some kinda crazy white void where you can boost stats and all.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I played through the story mode in the demo and ended up being drafted by the Knicks at 8, because of course they'd draft the undersized wing with a blown up knee whose game is based on athleticism.

It's nice to see something different, but I don't think it's on 2K's level yet as far as visuals/animation go. The rating progression seems much simpler, but some might not like being funneled down specific stats. The SAS stuff is impressively spot on and doesn't feel forced, but the rest of the presentation just seems kind of flat.

I really hope people get through the demo to get that $40 preorder deal. Even if it's not as good, selling well will hopefully be enough to get 2K worried enough to innovate some more.

Like a few others said, it'll probably be worth a rental, but I'm sticking with 2K this year.

Edit: I was surprised to see the traits. The wing scorer's main one is "Inside Out", a stackable buff to 3pt shooting that maxes out once you score in the paint 3 times in a certain amount of time. I'm not sure how much it helps, but it's a cool idea.

zelah fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 11, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I don't think you need to worry about innovation, there is still a lot of very cool stuff yet to be announced on our end.

Whenever it gets announced

Someday

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

yeah I really really like the stat progression stuff so far in Live, as it seems so much less grindy than 2K's

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Glumslinger posted:

I don't think you need to worry about innovation, there is still a lot of very cool stuff yet to be announced on our end.

Whenever it gets announced

Someday

You guys leave features and announcing and poo poo for way too late every year imo. It was better a couple years ago but it seems to be creeping further and further back.

e: Huh, cool, the 3rd game in "the one" is at Seattle Pacific University, my brother played basketball there, I've been in that gym a few times to watch him play.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 11, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I finished the Live demo, if it were 20 bucks I'd buy it I think but man, the gameplay is pretttttyy weak. Feels like 2K did years ago, kinda sluggish and you get locked into a lot of animations and stuff. It's a shame because I think a lot of the other stuff they've done is pretty cool in terms of game structure and how cosmetics and stuff work, but the weak gameplay just ruins all that.

Glumslinger you and your gang better have made upgrading your player's stats and dressing him up like a moron seperate currencies this year. That poo poo has been pissing me off for years. I want to dress up like a clown AND upgrade my player, I shouldn't have to have to decide between two ticks of 3 point shooting or a stupid looking hat or whatever.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
Agreed on the gameplay for Live, it feels especially sluggish, but the visuals are nice and the progression seems pretty good. It still wont challenge 2K but hopefully they keep trying. I might still buy it, depends on what 2K is like on release.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Agreed on the gameplay for Live, it feels especially sluggish, but the visuals are nice and the progression seems pretty good. It still wont challenge 2K but hopefully they keep trying. I might still buy it, depends on what 2K is like on release.

I really like a lot of the stuff around the gameplay and the Ui and controls and stuff feel solid and I would totally give it a buy if it was just a bit more responsive. I'm interested to see if they do an ultimate team like game mode, and what the rest of the career mode looks like.

Also laughed at them putting Chris Smoove (the nba 2k youtuber) into the game for one of the challenges considering he's probably gonna poo poo all over this game once its out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I may jump on the pre-order just because it's a genuinely solid discount and all but 2k has spoiled me for visuals and animations and all, it's kinda hard to go back to locked in stuff and all. I really like what Live is doing, though, and honestly I'm not sure how much longer 2k can get away with the 'grindfest to funnel you into buying VC after buying our 60 dollar game' model if Live can avoid making GBS threads the bed.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any word on whether Live will let you create expansion teams? That's my favourite feature of 2k (yes, I'm weird).

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I didn't start messing with expansion until a few weeks ago. Hyped on giving Virginia Beach the team it deserves (a mediocre one while I guide the Blazers to the top).

I'll try giving myteam a chance this year. I opened a few packs it then ignored it for a long time so I never really got a feel for when or how I should be using reward played, items, contracts.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
they really really need to do some drastic work on myteam, it's not even close to as good as madden or fifa's ultimate teams are now. Boring grind, bad rewards, unreliable multiplayer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm curious how Live's version of Ultimate Team will be, Madden is like a gold standard still for UT stuff and even a small thing like 'we did Draft mode, but for NBA too' could be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/896023463239929856

Hmm

Rose(rip)
Butler
Jordan
Pippen
Rodman
Horace
Noah(?)
Jerry Sloan?
Bob Love?

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 11, 2017