Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Because everybody already knows the answer: It doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

veni veni veni posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking this but why exactly are the dumpster people calling it "SJW"? Unless it's just that it has a woman in it who isn't a big boobed anime.

1. Female protagonist with mental illness = oppression checkboxes
2. Don't spend 90% of game in combat = not a real game
3. Message of empathy and acceptance = stop shoving your political agenda down my throat

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/NinjaTheory/status/917405649654382594

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n7RTnRZ_QQ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There was a recent interview with Tameem Antoniades that is pretty informative if you've been following the development of this game. I think it's the first that says anything official about the so-called "permadeath" mechanic, the meaning of the finale, and how well the game sold. Worth a read.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cool article on the animation behind Hellblade and how they got such fluid motion capture on a limited budget.

https://80.lv/articles/the-animation-of-hellblade-senuas-sacrifice/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's been nominated for a bunch of awards and I hope it will become less of sleeper hit once it starts showing up on a lot of reviewer's year-end lists.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's a fair amount of depth to the combat that most people will probably never see because the game never gets so hard or complex that you have to rely on chaining combos or anything like that. I found it satisfying enough, with one of the best perfect parries in all video games, but the fights in Hellblade are only a means to an end, and I finished most encounters just feeling relieved it was over. Ninja Theory was kind of between a rock and a hard place here. If you make the swordplay too frequent, flashy, stylish or "fun" then all of a sudden it becomes the main focus of the game, we're not seeing the encounters to be truly menacing as Senua does, but as titillating kickflip monster arenas in between puzzle rooms. If Senua's abilities seem so far above our own, it becomes harder to empathize with her struggle and easier to see her as just another video gamey superhero with Mind Powers. If you give her a skill tree or +2 sword of dexterity then we're not seeing the world as she sees it, there's some abstraction of a UI obscuring our vision. I love that when Senua squares up against some 8ft tall demonic norsemen, the fear is written wide across her face. When she gets hit she doesn't just flinch a little like most game protagonists, but recoils in pain, stumbles backward, and falls down. For me the emphasis wasn't on the combat itself so much as just trying to help Senua survive. By the time the game really lets you set loose with everything you've learned it's almost over.

But I went into Hellblade understanding and expecting it to be light on the swordplay. In fact if there's anything I could criticize I'd say there are probably one or two more fighting sections than were really needed in the second half. It's not a game I would recommend on the merits of its combat system alone, like SotC or SpecOps before it all comes in service to the greater narrative.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 5, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Final NT developer diary is up, discussing the launch and its impact. Hellblade has sold over 500,000 copies between PS4 and PC in its first three months, they were expecting to cross that threshold in eight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDvATt2VBxU

The game is also 25% off on Steam and GOG for the first time ever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In case you ever wanted to know more about what the experience of playing Hellblade from the perspective of a person who actually suffers from psychosis is like, this video is incredibly dense and fascinating to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52flQkqj5gs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Bonx version will get three display options similar to Monster Hunter World’s enhanced settings, which is nice. I played this game on PC but I’d recommend the higher framerate setting for snappier combat.

• Locked thread