Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Bruiser Enterprise, Bridgeport (hobos live in Bridgeport, people, come on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Sorry for the :downs: here, but is this going to be a screenshot LP, or a video LP? I looked around and I couldn't find any indication either way.

Screenshot.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Grey Hunter posted:

Screenshot.

Yay! I'll actually be able to follow it then. :cheers:

(aside from hating most VLPs anyway, I do most of my LP consumption at work where I'm too busy to follow a video without rewinding 100 times)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

frankenfreak posted:

I like Twinbrook and Bruiser Enterprise.

If it's an available career in this game, I suggest instituting a thread rule that, starting with the starting sim's kids, at least one child must become a member of the military.

Why are you condemning those kids to death???

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

If our founder is a hobo, then s/he needs to have the Mooch skill, so as to avoid starving to death by going over to the neighbour's house to eat out of their fridge. I'd also suggest Slob and Loser.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Are you using any mods? You might want to download some of the NRASS mods that prevent things bloating up and improve performance, or get the versions of the maps that have fixed pathfinding routes because The Sims 3 is notorious for crapping its pants and dying from bugs and bloat after a few generations or just bad luck.

Example: I once had to abandon a long running game that became unplayable because I hired a butler, and the butler spawned on a lovely part of the terrain that couldn't pathfind right. So because he got stuck and couldn't get to the house the game thought it hadn't spawned the butler and spawned another one on the same spot. And another, and another. Eventually the game slowed to a single digit frame rate because two dozen butlers were merged into one tile with 48 arms flailing as this horror mound of butlerflesh endlessly moaned with dozens of voices about not being able to move.

The Sims 3 with more than a couple expansions can be a crazy unstable game.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 11, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, I'm going to get some of the NRAAS mods - its been an epoch since I last played though, so I'm not sure which are needed - If anyone can speed my research that would be great - I know story progression is a must, but that's it.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Overwatch seems like a must. It automatically checks for (and probably fixes) the "stuck" issue Yacht mentioned. Also says it deals with various bloat-inducing issues, too, which will help with a dynasty. Beyond that, though, I don't think I'll be much help on the "mod recommendations" front.

Also: Should we give points for achieving a Sim's Lifetime Wish?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

NRAAS Traffic helps as well. Late Night added taxis and ice cream trucks to the game world, but again it's messy and sometimes gets out of control to the detriment of performance. Traffic cleans them up. Set it to like -40.

And just disable the memories feature they added in the Generations patch.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I absolutely love the Sims legacy challenge and look forward to the hobo dynasty.

I'm fine with whatever name but hobos live in downtown. Bridgeport.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

As long as you pick the moocher skill you can start with nothing but the lot, Grey. 0$, think of the challenge!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Hobo dynasty, huh.

Rule suggestion: Hobos don't pay bills. Ever.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Every time a repo man comes, just pause time and trap them in a 1x1x1 cell. Way cheaper than paying bills or letting them repo your poo poo.

Ghosts of trapped and starved repo men haunting the place are just the price you have to pay for thrift.

E: Aw man they gave the repo men teleporters so you can't do that :(

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 11, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bruiser Enterprise has won

I've had to delete the park in Bridgetown and cheat my way to the required funds, but I'm getting the mods in now and will start the first short update soon! We'll meet the sim and make a few important choices.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Meet Bruiser Enterprise. His life had been one of disappointment, washed out of the Navy, abandoned by his family and spending too much time mooching off his few friends. Brusier is an outdoor type, a slob and a looser. He does have the ability to schmooze people however, which is a good part of how he gets around in life.
Like everyone, he just wants to be rich.

Then things were about to change. Great Uncle Sickles has died, and left him a plot of land. Spending his last remaining dollars, Bruiser sets off for the town of Bridgeport. Soon he can see the high rises, and he dreams of the new life he is going to have.

Then he sees his new home.

Empty. Nothing.

Okay, not completely empty. There is a public toilet, a bench, a small grill and a park bench. On reading the fine detail in the copy of the will he had been sent, he soon discovered that this was in fact a public park that his uncle had purchased many years ago and then neglected. It had been left to him when he was young. Whether is was a cruel joke by his uncle or just another case of family neglect, he didn't know.
All Brusier knew was that he was here, with no money to leave Bridgeport and nothing to leave for.

Something snaps inside him. This roaming around, this constant reliance on others. It has to end. This land is his. The location is good, its right next to the main city, and its a large patch of land. This is his home now, and by god he's going to make it the best home he can!

At least he has a sweet grill!

First up – the spelling mistake is unintentional, but I like it, so we're running with that!

We have $45 left, and are happy being outdoors for now. But the first thing we need is a job. Brusier wants to join the Business career, but I'm going to leave the actual choice up to you guys.

We also need to decide on our social priority – do we make friends to mooch off or go looking for a wife?

The next update will be more substantial, I just wanted to get things rolling. Plus getting the mods to work ate most of my LP time.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
As a broke hobo living in a park, we need some people to mooch off. That skill can also come in handy when mooching off richer folk securing venture capital, so Business actually sounds like a viable career for Bruiser.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ditto. We need to live off of the charity of others, and then rocket up the business track and become an insufferable right-wing finance bro who wonders why the poors can't just work hard and rely on their own merit like we did?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We need some people to mooch off. I have a pathological need to satisfy Sims' desires, so Business.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Crazycryodude posted:

Ditto. We need to live off of the charity of others, and then rocket up the business track and become an insufferable right-wing finance bro who wonders why the poors can't just work hard and rely on their own merit like we did?

Yeah, let's do that.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Out of our last $45, could we at least get Bruiser a guitar? or one of those inside-out steel drums buskers play with their hands, or hell a pair of bongos would do. But only if you can make money from music hobbies in Sims 3 - no point in playing music if we aren't busking

Any newcomer to a city can get by with a little help from their friends, and we should find some.

Business career seems fine, but I don't know what the other career options might turn out to be so I'm holding off voting til after I look at what Sims 3 considers jobs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah you can play for tips in Sims 3 (and IIRC it can be horribly broken if you know how to abuse bugs/misfeatures and pick the highest traffic places to play) but not until you reach level 5 in the skill.

I'll be the contrarian and say screw Business, let's go for :science: SCIENCE! :science: I think the entry level Science job is Test Subject which is perfect for the hobo's first "job". Requires more work than Business to move up in but more work for the LP'er means a better narrative for us lazy readers :smugbert:

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Personally I think we should join the culinary career track and bring the world our glorious hobo cuisine... but mooching is good too.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Business is basically tricking people into giving you their money, right? Perfect for a hobo who plans to mooch off his buddies I'd say.

Sometimes this game gives suggestions so perfect that it's ridiculous... I mean, a moocher who wants to do it professionally?

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Our dear hobo needs to give round 2 in the military a chance.

He also needs friends.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

People, people, let's be logical, what Bussiness corp. would hire a hobo living in a park? No, have him begin in the SCIENCE! profession as a test subject until he earns enough money to buy himself a room, a bed and a shower, THEN he can start going to bussiness school,

Also, Yaaaay Friendship!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Definitely throwing in for mooching. Is there a politics career track?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Siegkrow posted:

People, people, let's be logical, what Bussiness corp. would hire a hobo living in a park? No, have him begin in the SCIENCE! profession as a test subject until he earns enough money to buy himself a room, a bed and a shower, THEN he can start going to bussiness school,

Also, Yaaaay Friendship!

This persuades me. Gotta have a place to store your suit.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Also, Yaaaay Friendship!

This is an excellent plan. Do this.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Siegkrow posted:

People, people, let's be logical, what Bussiness corp. would hire a hobo living in a park?

No home means no inclination to go home means spending more hours at work for as low a wage as they can get away with paying. Frankly I'm amazed more businesses don't hire hobos.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there a politics career track?
Oooh, good idea. If we'd be doing preference voting, that would be my second choice.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Siegkrow posted:

Also, Yaaaay Friendship!

I like this idea. Another vote for SCIENCE. Maybe even !!SCIENCE!! if possible.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I like the Test Subject (Science) idea. Be a Test Subject until we can afford the necessities, and then switch to business. By no means should you become a scientist, or even lab assistant. It's lab rat or nothing.

Also, moochers gotta mooch. Look for friends to mooch from.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Science is the way to go. After all, we know all these ivory tower scientists are getting rich off money from the government.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Science winning 7-5 over Business.

I can't do another update until Tuesday morning, so I'll let this run until then.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Well.

Science then. ^_^

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I find the logic that's been given for starting out with Science to be sound, go with that.

I haven't played this in so long. Isn't a part time job in a grocery store or diner also possible? These are also reasonable jobs for a hobo making his way up in the world.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Being an actual hobo in the Business Career means Bruiser will have the greatest story of all time about lifting himself up by his bootstraps. He'll be a future legend among other rich white guys! And where best to find people with money to mooch from than a lucrative career in generic business?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I think it's appropriate to suggest that Bruiser's grand heir enters politics after the first two generations do business. The scion will never have known the hobo life, and those poors won't gently caress themselves over without a charismatic rich person to lead the way.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

On reflection, SCIENCE - Let's be a human guinea pig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Reminder that it's Brusier because it's a typical Grey Hunter LP. So let's scramble him some more with SCIENCE!

• Locked thread