Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
publishko
Feb 16, 2014

BonoMan posted:

After a full listen I think it's a really really good album with only one weak track (Empire Line). That one may grow on me too so who knows.

If I had one complaint it's that it's just kinda... more of the same from The National. Not a big deal and good on them for doing what they do best. But at some point I'd like to see them try something a little different.

I feel like Turtleneck is kind of the seed of that so who knows.

they apparently have a bunch of other more aggressive songs they wrote in the wake of the election that they decided not to put on the record, opting for a more meditative and introspective sound, so you might be right

source: http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-national-learn-to-cope-with-the-trump-era?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

quote:

The National recorded approximately 15 other song sketches for Beast, many of which feature the band playing together in punk-inspired fashion as a visceral reaction to the, er, national mood leading up to election.

“The funny thing is, when Trump won everything changed: the awareness of who we are as a nation, I think, suddenly shifted. A light went on for a lot of people. ‘Oh, we are in bad shape. The soul of our country is very ill,’” Berninger says. “We had no idea how ill we are. In a lot of ways, I felt the record needed to get more sensitive.”

Those outraged songs were put aside as the band gravitated towards more meditative ones. “We had to turn the dial in a different direction,” Berninger says. “I felt there was a need to go inward and go into more of a dreamlike state, and process it from a weird, emotionally internal place first, before I can package an idea of what the gently caress is happening. I can’t do that yet.”

Maybe next time. Aaron Dessner says the band is interested in possibly finishing and releasing those songs when Berninger is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread