Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Letter will be going out tomorrow, then however long it takes to traverse various oceans and international borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'd love to hear how many wax seals survive the postal system. I have no idea how rough the system is on those, and they're quite brittle, right? Last time I played with one was during my girlhood ~medieval everything~ phase.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Pixelante posted:

I'd love to hear how many wax seals survive the postal system. I have no idea how rough the system is on those, and they're quite brittle, right? Last time I played with one was during my girlhood ~medieval everything~ phase.

There are two types of sealing wax. What you used was brittle wax, which is more traditional - that's just pure wax, more or less, with coloring agents. It'll survive if you pack it inside another container with some padding, but it's actually prohibited to ship exposed since the broken pieces gum up the postal sorting machines. Because brittle wax breaks so easily, it'll show you if anybody has tampered with your mail. More common is supple wax, which can survive the postal system (though you should probably put it inside another envelope just in case) and it can just be peeled off with a sharp edge. It actually bends quite a bit.

Goulet Pens have a few videos on the subject, of course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--eQd-P4UnY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mJtEf4rQLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bl4fkFLjOQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR9BXfVUnBc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1J1yAW6nt4

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
poo poo. Now I want a wax seal.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
There are plenty of Chinese brassworkers on Etsy who will sell you a custom one for $5 to $15.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I sent out a postcard yesterday. I wrote a letter originally but it was just talking about different inks I use and I read it back and thought it was boring so I hope my international pen pal enjoys some nice artwork.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Pixelante posted:

poo poo. Now I want a wax seal.

This is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. So far I've sent about 5 letters with seals on them across the country and they've all made it to their destination intact. The wax itself is quite durable and flexible, more like plastic than normal candle wax. Also it looks rad. 10/10 would mail again.

unzealous fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 2, 2017

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I penned all of my wedding invitations and sealed them with wax and all but one made it with seal complete.

My letter is complete; I just have to get to the post office to get international stamps. It being a Federal holiday in the US means it may not move overseas until Tuesday, though.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I felt bad that my letter was so boring, so I just popped a postcard into the system, too!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Teach posted:

I felt bad that my letter was so boring, so I just popped a postcard into the system, too!

:hfive: Thank God for artists

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Letter away!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If anybody else wants a cool postcard just PM me. I got a box of them from a friend and they need to go out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:siren:Spoiler Alert for Teach!:siren:

I mostly just complain about where I live and Stephen King adaptations

Very boring stuff, oh well

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Probs still more interesting that my letter! Looking forward to hearing who you'd cast in Gerald's Game!

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

I had forgot! Life and everything! just got a letter from the U.K. but it must not be it since what I got was a very well hand written, very long letter from a bank administrator in Nigeria with some fantastic news for me! What a treat!! *

My letter will be heading to australia beginning next week I am sorry I am late.

* I found it funny as hell thanks!

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Mine will be going out after the weekend as I'm going to use a business trip as an excuse to send a postcard rather than a letter after I got a beautiful postcard from Denver written in the best Noodler's ink - Black Swan in English Roses.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Whew, I'm glad it made it. I wrote out a letter originally and it felt kind of silly to just talk about all my different inks.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Iznogood posted:

I had forgot! Life and everything! just got a letter from the U.K. but it must not be it since what I got was a very well hand written, very long letter from a bank administrator in Nigeria with some fantastic news for me! What a treat!! *

My letter will be heading to australia beginning next week I am sorry I am late.

* I found it funny as hell thanks!
Glad it got there! I had fun writing it, couldn't resist the hockey joke once I saw your location.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Got a letter from Australia!

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

unzealous posted:

Letter will be going out tomorrow, then however long it takes to traverse various oceans and international borders.

This arrived this morning.
The wax seal survived the Atlantic ocean undamaged. I now want a wax seal.
Your handwriting is exceptional and I am jealous.
I now also want a bottle of Noodler's Antietam. drat you, you enabler of acquisition disorder!

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Glad the seal survived the trip, they're pretty rugged. Antietam is a really solid burgundy with some great shading to it. I can't help you with the handwriting outside of practice, practice, practice.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Mailed two letters in one package and some little gifts. I wrote a boring serious letter and then a joke one, hopefully one is entertaining.

If neither are, I threw a dong drawing in too

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is my pen pal the same person I sent a letter to, or did someone else get me?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I believe the person you got is not the person who got you.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Mine was supposed to go out today but it was still in the mailbox as of this evening so I guess I'm taking it directly to the post office on Monday.

I received the one sent to me a couple days ago--the ink was super shimmery!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Mine was supposed to go out today but it was still in the mailbox as of this evening so I guess I'm taking it directly to the post office on Monday.

I received the one sent to me a couple days ago--the ink was super shimmery!

Yeeesss! I tried hard to get as much glitter into that cartridge fill as possible. Glad it worked!

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
Oh gently caress! I forgot to send it letter! I'm so sorry! Will send it Monday!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

PlaneGuy posted:

Oh gently caress! I forgot to send it letter! I'm so sorry! Will send it Monday!

In his defence, PlaneGuy didn't sign-up so much as get drafted.

My letter is also going out Monday because weekend retreats apparently get really weird in my field. I was afraid someone would look over at my notebook and realize I wasn't thoughtfully and respectfully taking notes about the inevitability of death.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 11, 2017

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Just dropped my letter off at the post office this morning. :ohdear: Sorry about being so late!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Everyone who's late can feel better because I'm going to be even later. It'll be in the mail tomorrow! Sorry!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I got mine in the mail Sunday night. Procrastinated and probably didn't do the best job on my letter.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I'm not gonna check on letter attendance til October or so, so don't sweat it if you can't deal til this weekend. I gather a lot of people are quietly freaking out because they don't know what to write and have been putting it off.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I received half a letter; my correspondent was run over by a hurricane or somesuch and claimed he'd write a second half when he's not busy dealing with flooding.

Seems legit to me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nothin' yet here. I wanna read your words, ya shmucks :argh:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I figure international post will take a while, I sent my chicken scrawl out last week and it looks like it hasn't arrived yet.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are most of the participants outside the US? Mine was in the U.K.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
I have received my letter. It was mysterious and well written. Thumbs up.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
The one I sent should have been received by now so I'm assuming they hated it. :sigh:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Letter away! It's a long way to Canada from Australia but I hope it doesn't take too long. To make up for it being so late there a little something extra in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My letter is complete; I just have to get to the post office to get international stamps. It being a Federal holiday in the US means it may not move overseas until Tuesday, though.

I had a letter from The Internet waiting for me when I got home today, thanks babyeatingpsychopath! You definitely took a lot more care with your writing than I did, I was familiar with the long s but I've never seen that style of W before. Hopefully the letter you received had just the right amount of dicks :D

• Locked thread