Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's a busy guy but I think he should license the Orville out for comics and stuff to keep it alive in the meantime where he just needs to do some story approval work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There’s enough of an established universe to feed comics and spin-offs. While it’s unlikely he’ll ever be able to get the whole cast together, he has lots of options.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mokotow posted:

There’s enough of an established universe to feed comics and spin-offs. While it’s unlikely he’ll ever be able to get the whole cast together, he has lots of options.

The Orville: The Next Generation

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To some extent many of the casts arcs have been explored enough I wouldn't turn my nose at another ship and crew with whoever was really jazzed from before returning in whatever roles.

Get the feeling we will be seeing more clamp down on big expensive streaming projects in the near future while companies are all scrambling on how to get us the most ads with the least payout to workers.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Honestly, at this point I just feel bad for the actors. Imagine you had a occupation where it takes years to know if you can continue working at a project, while you can't really free up the time for other stuff either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, that's acting in a nutshell and one of the reasons why SAG was striking. I mean, Spencer Grammer didn't even make enough money from voicing a main character on Rick and Morty to qualify for health insurance and Alan Tudyk said you can do a voice for every episode in a season and make less than $15k.

I mean, Adrianne Palicki can certainly blame Seth for some of the slow pace, but Season 3 was really hosed by COVID and the transition to Hulu and right now everyone's strategy is in flux due to cost cutting and overspending.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The Orville is MacFarlane's tribute to Star Trek.

What's happening now is his tribute to The Venture Bros.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I mean, that's acting in a nutshell and one of the reasons why SAG was striking. I mean, Spencer Grammer didn't even make enough money from voicing a main character on Rick and Morty to qualify for health insurance and Alan Tudyk said you can do a voice for every episode in a season and make less than $15k.

I mean, Adrianne Palicki can certainly blame Seth for some of the slow pace, but Season 3 was really hosed by COVID and the transition to Hulu and right now everyone's strategy is in flux due to cost cutting and overspending.

I also think that networks were just moving to a shorter call of episodes. I kinda think there is a sweet spot of 15 - 18 episode series that network could go back to but that's not what was happening at the time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Khanstant posted:

To some extent many of the casts arcs have been explored enough I wouldn't turn my nose at another ship and crew with whoever was really jazzed from before returning in whatever roles.

I can see it now, Ed and Gordon transfer over to the Orville's sister ship. Coming this fall to Hulu: The Wilbur.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
God bless you guys for having the killer transporter argument...

5 days into 2024.

In the Orville thread.

A show which does not have transporters.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

that was like a month and a half ago

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
even if literally every person agreed that transporters/teleporters are murder machines, there'd be people who would never get sick of posting about how much they're murder machines

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Orville the show has transporters, just not the Union.

The gleep flops from planet Menagerie have em, and special guest star Charlize Theron has one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That one's actually just Theron's, she brought it from home.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Snow Cone Capone posted:

that was like a month and a half ago

Got my date/time signatures mixed, but my enjoyment stands.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Orville the show has transporters, just not the Union.

The gleep flops from planet Menagerie have em, and special guest star Charlize Theron has one.

I'm still not fixing it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MillennialVulcan posted:

I'm still not fixing it.

Thanks for stopping by.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The gleep flops from planet Menagerie

this is a terrible slur. mods??

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

this is a terrible slur. mods??

And that's the wayyyYyYy the news goes!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think Seth knew S3 would probably be the end. I think he had a bunch of long term, partially formed ideas to sprinkle over several season. He spent S1 and S2 slowly starting to set a few of them up. When he wrote S3 he crammed in every single big arc he possibly could all at once.

He's been in Hollywood long enough to know there's no benefit to acknowledging something is dead if there's even the slightest sliver of hope, but the chances are approaching lottery levels. The Orville is in the realm of streaming services now, and unless your show title rhymes with Ranger Bings, you're not getting a season 4.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's super weird to me that Hulu spent so much cash to upgrade the sets, effects, costumes, etc to only make one season.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

tarlibone posted:

The Orville is MacFarlane's tribute to Star Trek.

What's happening now is his tribute to The Venture Bros.

So 3 more seasons and a movie.

Or maybe really be ToS and do several movies. That could be neat.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Obviously a very different time, but an interesting stat is that in the length of time from the start of Orville S3 filming to now, the entire run of TOS was filmed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8one6 posted:

It's super weird to me that Hulu spent so much cash to upgrade the sets, effects, costumes, etc to only make one season.

I think Seth just took the opportunity to jazz up the sets and costumes while the money was on the table, hoping it'd be for several seasons.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
https://x.com/ML_TheOrville/status/1775639551337279583
Probably bollocks but interesting that they've posted it I guess

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
All...kidding aside??

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i want to believe

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Cool if true, but would love to see a real source for this.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yea I'm sure it's bollocks but it's not like the post has garnered loads of attention or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Don't believe it.