Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Holy poo poo. He really is making the next Star Trek series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser

His heart is so completely in the right place about everything that it's gonna be devastating when the show sucks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

I'll fight... I will!

He definitely gets what made the Star Trek I grew up with so good. It remains to be seen whether he can translate that into a good TV show but there's a zero percent chance it'll be worse than Discovery

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

The Orville isn’t serialized, so it’s free to hop around from lighter stories to heavier ones from one week to next, MacFarlane says: “Each week, you’re seeing a little movie, and each story is different. And tonally, there will be some variance. But the characters are always the characters.” He cites Star Trek: The Next Generation as a touchstone, which had “a big two-part episode about the Borg that was followed up the next week with a story about Picard going home to France to visit his brother at the winery… And I remember thinking, ‘God, this is how TV should be. You should be able to write any kind of story each week, and really surprise your audience.'”
I wouldn't cite Family as an example of non-serialized storytelling

3 DONG HORSE
May 21, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

^I thiiink he's referring to how the episode was completely different from the previous two. Crazy poo poo in space followed by an introspective episode set on Earth. The follow up in another show would've been post-battle thing or politics or whatever but TNG went a completely different route (which owned, ofc).

Jeb! Repetition posted:

His heart is so completely in the right place about everything that it's gonna be devastating when the show sucks.

It could easily suck bad for sure but at least that would put it on par with Star Trek

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at Aug 18, 2017 around 21:58

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My wild-rear end guess of a prediction: The show is going to be quite good. Not perfect, but much better than anything Discovery could hope to accomplish, and a good Star Trek show all around. But it's only going to make it a couple seasons, before the network does the usual "wait why are we paying for this" that happens to sci-fi shows people care about and cancels it. And this isn't 1967 anymore so a letter-writing campaign will do jack poo poo and five years later The Orville will be remembered fondly, an example of what science fiction *can* be.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.

Fun Shoe

I'm setting the bar a lot lower. If it's not completely grating, I'll watch it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Somebody, I think it may have been Brannon Braga, described it as closer in tone to M*A*S*H.

If that's the case, it could be fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

My wild-rear end guess of a prediction: The show is going to be quite good. Not perfect, but much better than anything Discovery could hope to accomplish, and a good Star Trek show all around. But it's only going to make it a couple seasons, before the network does the usual "wait why are we paying for this" that happens to sci-fi shows people care about and cancels it. And this isn't 1967 anymore so a letter-writing campaign will do jack poo poo and five years later The Orville will be remembered fondly, an example of what science fiction *can* be.

Of course. This is Fox after all, they don't measure genre success in ratings, they measure it in the tears of broken fandoms from prematurely canceled shows.

«3 »