Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«401 »
Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wouldn't say it scratches the Orville itch at all - the first episode wasn't bad but they're leaning way harder into the zany slapstick angle (something that Seth emphatically tried to move away from in Orville S2)

Watch it anyway though, it has potential.

Well Seth had to make S1 that way because it's what the Studio wanted and expected - maybe something similar is happening here and perhaps the creators want to try to do some serious stuff later when the studio is happy with what's going out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 30, 2003
MANGOSTEEN CHUGGER

Thom12255 posted:

Well Seth had to make S1 that way because it's what the Studio wanted and expected - maybe something similar is happening here and perhaps the creators want to try to do some serious stuff later when the studio is happy with what's going out.

Nah, the pedigree behind the show makes it pretty clear it's gonna be sticking with the first episode theme of zany and high-speed jokes. Which is fine! But remember there's Strange New Worlds coming out, plus Disco S3 is supposed to be more upbeat and optimistic, so I don't think they're going to pivot this into the next She-Ra or Avatar, because they don't need to fill that niche. Again though, that's ok! Straight-up TNG: The Comedy Cartoon could be great too.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Don't forget the Nickelodeon show, Prodigy. I don't think they've revealed much about that besides the name but it would be pretty cool if they ended up hitting the Avatar balance with it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 30, 2003
MANGOSTEEN CHUGGER

Handsome Wife posted:

Don't forget the Nickelodeon show, Prodigy. I don't think they've revealed much about that besides the name but it would be pretty cool if they ended up hitting the Avatar balance with it.

i had A Take on Prodigy in the ST thread:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

As it is explicitly a kids' show, my faint glimmer of hope is that it pushes more of a "how do we mature and rise to the occasion like Starfleet people would" angle. Like, "we don't have Starfleet training, so we have to learn and grow (like kids), we can't Action Hero our way out of this" or whatever,

Honestly, while I haven't seen them myself, the positive responses I've seen from newer kids' shows like Steven Universe or She-Ra give me a tiny smidge of optimism. It's a pretty ripe medium for a more hopeful, optimistic and maybe even diplomatic take on Trek than Picard or Disco or Lower Decks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Because if I tell you, you'll tell your friends, your friends are callin' me on the horn all the time, I gotta show up at shopping centers for openings and sign autographs and shit like that and it makes my life a *hell*. Okay? A living hell.

Fan of Britches

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wouldn't say it scratches the Orville itch at all - the first episode wasn't bad but they're leaning way harder into the zany slapstick angle (something that Seth emphatically tried to move away from in Orville S2)

Watch it anyway though, it has potential.

Yeah I was lumping them together in the "Gang of dysfunctional morons thrown together on a spaceship have to stumble their way through weird scifi problems each week" bag

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My hopes for Prodigy delivering the full time adventures of Jake & Nog spinoff I've been waiting for for thirty years are... not high

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

With a name like that, is Prodigy about Wesley Crusher?

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.

mllaneza posted:

Alara was awesome, a real delight, and we'll miss her. And at least the character got to leave the crew on a good episode. Honestly, "Home" is great storyteling.
I really wasn't expecting Funny Games on the Star Trek homage show.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 30, 2003
MANGOSTEEN CHUGGER

Halloween Jack posted:

I really wasn't expecting Funny Games starring the EMH and Dr. Phlox on the Star Trek homage show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 14, 2011

I love how the crew reacts with glee when they find out they’re going to have first contact with that planet in ‘All the World Is Birthday Cake’. A nice little touch.

«401 »