Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Azhais posted:

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/the-orville-seth-macfarlane.html

Apparently the delay on season 4 isn't that Hulu wants to kill the show, it's because Seth wants to kill himself off and move to other projects and Hulu doesn't want to do more without Seth

I've got a theory on this. MacFarlane seems like the kind who really, really enjoys supporting talent, and uses his own to spearhead projects that let him bring in talented people he likes. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to set up a Trek-like, be the captain for a little while, get to act alongside some of his favorite people on a goofy spaceship, then go out in a heroic death so other people could take up the reins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Azhais posted:

Apparently the delay on season 4 isn't that Hulu wants to kill the show, it's because Seth wants to kill himself off and move to other projects and Hulu doesn't want to do more without Seth

The show would be much better without his dumb face in it so they should really consider killing him off and replacing him with...I dunno, Clarke Peters?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think Captain Mercer is the heart of the show and that Seth wrote the perfect character for both the show and himself and I would be sad to see him leave it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Or maybe like last time we could stop panicking over stories that appear on one website on one has ever heard of before?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Or maybe like last time we could stop panicking over stories that appear on one website on one has ever heard of before?

who is panicking

I'm using this as an opportunity to compliment the show and its creator

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

But this is his dream.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

"Mr. Worf..... Fire."

But Picard actually dies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Mr. Worf... fire.... Seth MacFarlane"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Mercer time-travels back to 9/11 and gets to the airport on time

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
So don't kill him off, just promote him to something else. Mercer is now special ambassador to the Krill, and he shows up once a season in a cameo or because he needs a special job done.

Kelly gets promoted to Captain, Bortus moves up to XO. Bring in somebody new as whatever it is Bortus does currently, and off we go.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So I guess his childhood fantasy has been satisfied and to hell with everyone else?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheCenturion posted:

So don't kill him off, just promote him to something else. Mercer is now special ambassador to the Krill, and he shows up once a season in a cameo or because he needs a special job done.

Kelly gets promoted to Captain, Bortus moves up to XO. Bring in somebody new as whatever it is Bortus does currently, and off we go.

Bring back Patrick Warburton as the new guy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

So I guess his childhood fantasy has been satisfied and to hell with everyone else?

If the rumor is even true the point is that he wants to hand off a project he made successful to other people to run and enjoy and install someone else as the star so it can continue and they can get a shot

so... no, the opposite of what you said?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Isn't this one of those sites that constantly reports the new Star Trek shows are getting cancelled all the time despite being pork projects for hollywood failsons/daughters?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, this is "news" like that one site who was reporting that Pedro Pascal walked off the Mandalorian and no one could confirm it and then (surprise) it turns out that didn't happen, he had a small disagreement with production management in the typical way that almost every lead actor in a TV show does after about two or three seasons.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Isn't this one of those sites that constantly reports the new Star Trek shows are getting cancelled all the time despite being pork projects for hollywood failsons/daughters?

you're going to have to be a lot more specific

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There's like a whole cottage industry surrounding selling the 2 minutes' hate to frustrated nerds that I thought everyone was aware of by this point

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've been rewatching the show and I appreciate that everyone treats the weird holodeck episode with Gordon as appropriately being weird.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

SardonicTyrant posted:

I've been rewatching the show and I appreciate that everyone treats the weird holodeck episode with Gordon as appropriately being weird.

They just needed it to happen to their version of Barclay and it would have been fine.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Bloop posted:

If the rumor is even true the point is that he wants to hand off a project he made successful to other people to run and enjoy and install someone else as the star so it can continue and they can get a shot

Don't let facts get in the way of a good Seth hate-on!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Bloop posted:

If it's true, I'm not sure anyone else has the clout to keep it what it is and it reverts to the style of the first three episodes. Killing his character would be fine, but handing over the keys kills the show within a year.

Hypothetically.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

But this is his dream.

I guess he woke up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

If it's true, I'm not sure anyone else has the clout to keep it what it is and it reverts to the style of the first three episodes. Killing his character would be fine, but handing over the keys kills the show within a year.

Hypothetically.

Disagree, S1 was weaker than S2 in large part because Fox assumed "it's Seth so it'll be family guy in space," Hulu would absolutely give the show room to breathe even without him.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
This ain't happening.
It's Seth's dream after all.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Azhais posted:

I'm most surprised that the Hulu brass wouldn't want the show without him. He's never had the strongest performance on the show, by far. Anyone else showrunning it that is interested in making trek-style adventures would be able to pick it up without any problem.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

This ain't happening.
It's Seth's dream after all.

How many nights in a row can you eat lobster before it loses its appeal?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lister posted:

I'm sure I've never reached that point myself

What an odd metaphor

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
this is now a SeaQuest DSV thread

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tighclops posted:

So some cow passes air and I can't eat a cheeseburger?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That website is definitely reading stuff into an interview. It tries to say that him talking about wanting to finish out the season means he wants to quit while ignoring the stated reason why the show is being delayed which is that it is hard to do a makeup heavy show while protecting everyone involved in production.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lister posted:

I'm most surprised that the Hulu brass wouldn't want the show without him. He's never had the strongest performance on the show, by far. Anyone else showrunning it that is interested in making trek-style adventures would be able to pick it up without any problem.

Television is a conservative medium. He's the face of the show. Makes sense, from a Suit's perspective, to not want to disrupt the business model.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Lister posted:

Definitely more than 26.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Tighclops posted:

sorry it’s actually now a Space Precinct thread

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm not letting any loving cops up in here, I'll have you kn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4KDKy4VKyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDB9R2_Jk4

apparently they had to change the name from Space Police because of a conflict with a Lego Space subtheme at the time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tighclops posted:

Hey, SeaQuest retooled and got Michael Ironside as the captain for season 3.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Hey, SeaQuest retooled and got Michael Ironside as the captain for season 3.

He's still alive so let's get him out of mothballs as Mercer's uncle who takes over so Ed can be a Lady Moclan ambassador.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/TheOrville/status/1334971505113894912?s=19

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:woop:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

effing finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

And for once 2020 didn't gently caress us! Hell yes, we need more real Star Trek.