Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Welcome aboard the Orville!

Fox's new comedy-drama series stars Seth MacFarlane as Captain Ed Mercer, commanding officer of the Orville, an exploratory starship seeking out new life and new civilisations. So far, so familiar, right? Well, while CBS thinks Star Trek: Discovery should venture into the grimdark trappings of the mid-2000s, Macfarlane's Orville dares to capture the optimistic nature of Trek, and maybe have a few laughs along the way. Also starring Adrianne Palicki, Scott Grimes, Penny Johnson Jerald, Peter Macon, Mark Jackson, J. Lee, Halston Sage, and Norm Macdonald, and several more Trek alumni are to be expected both in front of and behind the camera (Jonathan Frakes! Brannon Braga! Robert Duncan McNeill!). Also, excitingly, Jon Favreau is directing the pilot episode, which is going out Sunday 10th September on Fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKECRnZe2U

While MacFarlane is famous for Family Guy and American Dad (which is far, far better), he is also the man who brought Cosmos back to the screen, and is a huge science fiction fan. As he says: "In this day and age of dystopian science fiction where everything is grim and dark and depressing I think there is an appetite – and I think it has been a while – for a show that is aspirational and optimistic and can maybe provide a blueprint for a future we could have if we get our poo poo together."

A really good thoughtful interview with him discussing The Orville can be found here on Trekmovie.

And you know what? That's not a bad looking ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ground floor for thread and show.

I'm actually quite excited and optimistic about it because I am a huge sucker

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Everything I have heard about this show makes me think it is going to be good.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fuuuuuuck I can't wait for this, it's either going to be good or it's going to be a spectacular trainwreck of a pilot. :allears:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Serious answer is that I'll watch anything with Adrianne Palicki in it, so this will get the bare minimum of a pilot watch

Kazinsal posted:

Fuuuuuuck I can't wait for this, it's either going to be good or it's going to be a spectacular trainwreck of a pilot. :allears:

But I want you to know I'm emptyquoting this in my heart :allears:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm not a big fan of Family guy but I loved that he got Cosmos remade. I'm looking forward to this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe I should write that in big bold letters in the OP.

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE LIKE FAMILY GUY

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe I should write that in big bold letters in the OP.

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE LIKE FAMILY GUY

"Hey The_Doctor, remember when you said this wasn't going to be like family guy?" *cut away*

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I loving hate Seth MacFarlane and his smug stupid face but I'm going to give this show an honest go, I think his heart is in the right place here and it sounds like he's trying to do something more akin to Galaxy Quest or Red Dwarf where you try to find this perfect blend of comedy and legit scifi.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I loving hate Seth MacFarlane and his smug stupid face but I'm going to give this show an honest go, I think his heart is in the right place here and it sounds like he's trying to do something more akin to Galaxy Quest or Red Dwarf where you try to find this perfect blend of comedy and legit scifi.
Basically my thoughts on this.

Plus it seems like it's trying to bank on TNG nostalgia, rather than TOS nostalgia, which is a rare and good thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah this looks like it's actually intending to be a show about boldly going and not Seth MacFarlane Strikes Out With Green Skinned Space Babes In Cutaway Gags: The Live Action Generation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I believe he had been trying to do an actual Star Trek series, but CBS put a kibosh on it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Seems to be missing the comedy part

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seems to be missing the comedy part

I hope the thread isn't full of insufferable posts acting like comedy isn't subjective but nonetheless recognizable.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

And you know what? That's not a bad looking ship.

Never liked it much.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And it's being broadcast!? For free!?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

shadok posted:

Never liked it much.

If you don't like the Glorious Heritage class then you're dead inside.

CPColin posted:

And it's being broadcast!? For free!?

Does CBS even have the technology to do this?!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

Seth MacFarlane Strikes Out With Green Skinned Space Babes In Cutaway Gags: The Live Action Generation.

Given that Seth's character's ex-wife is his CO, I'm guessing there will be a lot of Seth MacFarlane Tries To Get With Green Skinned Space Babes, Ex Wife Cockblocks Him moments. I mean, until they decide that they actually do love each other and get back together, of course.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm intrigued but I'd be so much more down for this if MacFarlane hadn't inexplicably cast himself as the lead in another show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zurui posted:

I'm intrigued but I'd be so much more down for this if MacFarlane hadn't inexplicably cast himself as the lead in another show.

This one I almost forgive because the dude has clearly wanted to be Captain Picard since he was like 15.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Gaz-L posted:

This one I almost forgive because the dude has clearly wanted to be Captain Picard since he was like 15.

That is fair. If I was in his shoes my new show would be me driving KITT around outer space with Heather Locklear and Robocop.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 12, 2017

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've been saying for years if they ever brought Trek back to TV, this guy should be involved somehow. I hope his show is good because Discovery looks weak as gently caress.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

I hope this show succeeds and completely displaces the rest of the ST franchise so the kind of nerds who get upset over the color of Kirk's shirt threads or the number of windows on the Enterprise can freak out and collapse on the ground, frothing at the mouth in fury.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DancingShade posted:

I hope this show succeeds and completely displaces the rest of the ST franchise so the kind of nerds who get upset over the color of Kirk's shirt threads or the number of windows on the Enterprise can freak out and collapse on the ground, frothing at the mouth in fury.

nobody cares

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DancingShade posted:

That's won't happen anyway because there's a 5% chance it's still on Fox after the 4th episode. I know McFarlane and Fox are best buds, but Fox is where genre shows go to die quick deaths.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
As long as it lasts long enough for McFarlane and Grimes to finally do a live action duet.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

MisterBibs posted:

Given that Seth's character's ex-wife is his CO, I'm guessing there will be a lot of Seth MacFarlane Tries To Get With Green Skinned Space Babes, Ex Wife Cockblocks Him moments. I mean, until they decide that they actually do love each other and get back together, of course.

*Sighs* yeah.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh him and his ex-wife are totally getting back together. There's a scene in one of the trailers where they're back and forthing with someone else, and they have great chemistry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DancingShade posted:

They're going to argue the exact same things except about Orville

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Oh him and his ex-wife are totally getting back together. There's a scene in one of the trailers where they're back and forthing with someone else, and they have great chemistry.

Adrienne Palicki is pretty good, I'm glad she's getting another shot after that Agents of SHIELD spinoff fizzled out.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DancingShade posted:

I'm one of those nerds though, but I also want this show to succeed. :shrug:

Also I had no idea Norm MacDonald was gonna be in this! :dance:

Just keeps getting better!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Norm MacDonald has no honor.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm about 75% sure this is gonna be better than Discovery so off we go! :toot:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Norm in Space? gently caress man that's all anybody had to say

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

I'm about 75% sure this is gonna be better than Discovery so off we go! :toot:

There is no doubt. Discovery's got paywall barriers and had too many good people get exposed to the project and jump ship because of what they saw. I'm predicting Discovery has Mass Effect Andromeda-itus, It will be libtarded, infected with much SJW poo poo and be too far removed from past practice to have appeal to the ST OT fanbase.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

R-Type posted:

There is no doubt. Discovery's got paywall barriers and lack of fidelity and has had too many good people get exposed to the project and jump ship because of what they saw. I'm predicting Discovery has Mass Effect Andromeda-itus, It will be libtarded, infected with much SJW poo poo and be too far removed from past practice to have appeal to the fanbase.

:yikes:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

R-Type posted:

There is no doubt. Discovery's got paywall barriers and had too many good people get exposed to the project and jump ship because of what they saw. I'm predicting Discovery has Mass Effect Andromeda-itus, It will be libtarded, infected with much SJW poo poo and be too far removed from past practice to have appeal to the ST OT fanbase.

...have... have you ever watched Star Trek? Like at all?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God, imagine trek if they added in libtarded sjw stuff relevant for the eras they were made in. I can't even imagine.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gaz-L posted:

...have... have you ever watched Star Trek? Like at all?

Yeah I mean when Discovery fails (And all signs say it will) it's gonna be because CBS had a list of nonsensical and self-contradictory demands and did everything a network shouldn't do to get a new show off the ground. The ~Libtarded SJW poo poo~ that I'm sure R-Type would love to enlighten us with a thousand word essay on is the Roddenberry-est thing a Star Trek series could ask for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

R-Type posted:

:thunk: