Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Red posted:

Really? I thought the social media planet was way worse.

Social Media Planet would have been a pretty good episode of Sliders. As an Orville episode, it was only okay. It's not one of the better ones but I didn't hate it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Powered Descent posted:

Social Media Planet would have been a pretty good episode of Sliders. As an Orville episode, it was only okay. It's not one of the better ones but I didn't hate it either.

The social media one was so banal; at least the astrology one was a good concept with mixed results.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Red posted:

Naa that episode at least is vaguely going along with something that happens in China. I'd have preferred they didn't make LaMarr so totally impossible to empathise with during it though. He's still the worst character.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Red posted:

Social media planet was ok. After watching it while chugging Pabst Blue Ribbon and smoking a doobie, you think "Eh, than was fun. Maybe I'll take a walk in the park tonight instead of spending my usual six hours on Facebook." Then, when you think the episode over the next day, you realize that a society like that would actually be a dystopia.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just realised looking at that pic that talla's hairstyle is so they can spend half the amount of time on makeup. nice.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I always got the impression that Astrology Planet was a Halston episode that got fudged when she left the show. It just does not hang together at all and with no Talia introduction they just cobbled something together.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've barely been able to pay attention to the last couple of episodes after the kaylon 2 parter. it's weird, cos during that whole two parter i was like 'this show is getting good man' then immediately after i stopped giving a poo poo for some reason. like i was watching the two kellys episode at work and i just turned it off halfway through. kelly's been kinda boring all season and it was just such a rote plot.

and man am i done with moclan culture. i watched that whole episode but it was a snoozer, too. although i am finding it funny how utterly awful clyden is every time he is featured. the man doesn't have a single redeeming trait.

maybe i miss the comedy. cos without it, this is really just ... well it's kinda boring.

i'll finish off the last couple at some point.

large_gourd fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 13, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

2 Kellys is the second to last episode and the finale continues from it directly

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah and the last episode is "We put Star Wars in your Star Trek and it rules, actually"

The music, set design, space battles etc. all feel extremely SW in that episode.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Orville's lovely alternate universe where everything goes wrong is literally just Star wars and that's amazing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I hope every season finale moving forward is a tribute to another iconic sci-fi IP.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Social media planet was ok. After watching it while chugging Pabst Blue Ribbon and smoking a doobie, you think "Eh, than was fun. Maybe I'll take a walk in the park tonight instead of spending my usual six hours on Facebook." Then, when you think the episode over the next day, you realize that a society like that would actually be a dystopia.

At the same time, these shows always overplay how easy it is to get negative scores, but IRL people seem fairly undiscerning. I can think of plenty of things that going by their reception online would be universally reviled laughingstock material, but the general human public loving loves it anyway. And think of some miserable, hateful, piece of poo poo person you know. That person deadass has a cadre of people who at their funeral will swear up and down they were a "good person."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I hope every season finale moving forward is a tribute to another iconic sci-fi IP.

Season 3: The Day The Earth Stood Still
Season 4: Time Trax
Season 5: Battlestar Galactica (rebooted version)
Season 6: Battlestar Galactica (1970s disco version)
Season 7: Battlestar Galactica (re-rebooted version)
Season 8: The Beast of Yucca Flats

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ed gets really religious and preachy and the season 8 finale is just Andromeda.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IMO if we're going for "final season goes out in a really dumb way" then save BG2k4 for Season 8

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

It was a worse version of Black Mirror episode that was worse version of a Community episode.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
In terms of success, would Stargate be the next most popular SciFi franchise? Babylon 5 apparently has a lot of media too, but I've never heard good things.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Beachcomber posted:

In terms of success, would Stargate be the next most popular SciFi franchise? Babylon 5 apparently has a lot of media too, but I've never heard good things.

What cesspools of bad opinions have you been spending your time in ? Babylon 5 has an epic story, cool characters, great space combat, intrigue on a galactic scale, and some of the best episodes of any SF show ever made. It's a shame it just dropped off of Prime, or you'd have 110 episodes of sheer indulgence to look forward to.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think the questino is what series drew the most eyeballs and spinoffs, not what series is the most "critically acclaimed".

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Babylon 5 is really great.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mllaneza posted:

What cesspools of bad opinions have you been spending your time in ? Babylon 5 has an epic story, cool characters, great space combat, intrigue on a galactic scale, and some of the best episodes of any SF show ever made. It's a shame it just dropped off of Prime, or you'd have 110 episodes of sheer indulgence to look forward to.

No no no, I Iove core B5. I was talking about the add-on movies and Legend of the Rangers and Crusade and whatnot.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Beachcomber posted:

In terms of commercial success, definitely: seventeen seasons and three movies is the closest you get to Trek's longevity. Stargate was probably behind BSG in terms of broad cultural impact, though. Galactica changed the face of science fiction (though your opinion of the merit of those changes may vary).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikusR posted:

It was a worse version of Black Mirror episode that was worse version of a Community episode.

One of the weaker Communities, even, although I enjoyed the pulp future-y aesthetic of the upvoted.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Zurui posted:

In terms of commercial success, definitely: seventeen seasons and three movies is the closest you get to Trek's longevity. Stargate was probably behind BSG in terms of broad cultural impact, though. Galactica changed the face of science fiction (though your opinion of the merit of those changes may vary).

I mean Doctor Who should be in the mix somewhere.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In the most recent Family Guy, Peter fired Meg from the show and told she could either choose to go American Dad or The Orville.

She chose American Dad.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Its Meg.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

socialsecurity posted:

I mean Doctor Who should be in the mix somewhere.

The OP said "next most popular." In just about every measurable way Doctor Who is as or more influential and successful than Star Trek.

(Sorry nerds, but it had to be said.)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wow, just goes to show how far Trek has fallen. Sad!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Beachcomber posted:

No no no, I Iove core B5. I was talking about the add-on movies and Legend of the Rangers and Crusade and whatnot.

OK, fair enough. It takes a lot to make up for LotR.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Wow, just goes to show how far Trek has fallen. Sad!

Read this as a Trump tweet and was not disappointed.

mllaneza posted:

OK, fair enough. It takes a lot to make up for LotR.

For 0.68 seconds, I read this as Lord of the Rings and we were gonna fite.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurui posted:

The OP said "next most popular." In just about every measurable way Doctor Who is as or more influential and successful than Star Trek.

(Sorry nerds, but it had to be said.)

lmao I can't tell if this is serious

I mean, maybe in England, but in the US everyone at least can identify Kirk Spock and probably Picard as well as the Enterprise

The average person maybe has heard of Dr Who. Sure, nerds know it, but not the average joe

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr Who is that one where r2d2 is evil and can talk but he turns the switch from evil to good with a magic screwdriver

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Outside of Freedomland Doctor Who is at least as popular as Trek.

Everything everywhere is eclipsed by the Stars War, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah China hated the Star War

So does everyone now the star war over and they cancelled the new ones

There's a good Star War show but only 10 episode

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

lmao I can't tell if this is serious

I mean, maybe in England, but in the US everyone at least can identify Kirk Spock and probably Picard as well as the Enterprise

The average person maybe has heard of Dr Who. Sure, nerds know it, but not the average joe

Doctor Who has been referenced on the Simpsons a lot. The one with the long scarf is pretty well known.

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2017/12/31/a-perfectly-cromulent-guide-to-doctor-who-references-in-the-simpsons/

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Nah China hated the Star War

So does everyone now the star war over and they cancelled the new ones

There's a good Star War show but only 10 episode

Um, Clone Wars is now in its 7th season and more than 10 episodes....

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

In the 80s and 90s DW was obscure nerd poo poo in the US but since 10 it's very mainstream. The casting of a new Doctor makes headlines in regular news outlets.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

In the 80s and 90s DW was obscure nerd poo poo in the US but since 10 it's very mainstream. The casting of a new Doctor makes headlines in regular news outlets.

It's a weird pissing contest but a new doctor gets 5 second coverage or clickbait articles that algorithms feed to nerds.

The death of Nimoy clearly eclipsed all US coverage of every doctor combined. Shatner's eventual death will eclipse even that, and not because of TJ Hooker or Denny Craine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Astroman posted:

It is weird that my memory of Doctor Who was an old fan book with B&W photos and a dusty old Dalek figure, and me explaining to my friends why I was wearing a long scarf on Halloween, and then 2005 happened...