Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I thought the XO got in a fight with Pria because Seth needed a distraction so he could give control of the ship over to Isaac.

gently caress I really need to remember the names better. Ed and... Kelly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So these two aliens were Tory and Kari from mythbusters. I'm surprised turbo nerd and trek fan film creator Grant hasn't been on.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

So these two aliens were Tory and Kari from mythbusters. I'm surprised turbo nerd and trek fan film creator Grant hasn't been on.

hah, thats funny. I hope they get a bunch of cameos like the therapy calls in Fraser, but its probably a ton of work.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

WampaLord posted:

So what does physically hurting Pria at that point accomplish other than soothing her own rage, a significant chunk of which was motivated by jealousy?

Pria wasn't a threat to the ship anymore, and the chief of security was right there.

Weren't they doing something Pria would try to prevent if she could? They don't know what other technologies she has that can prevent them escaping. Best to incapacitate her.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I personally hope she ends up in a relationship with Gordon, who desperately tries to get out of the relationship because of a history of bad breakups making him fear for his life

She will end up in a very misguided relationship with Kelly. Then never brought up again until Isaac questions them about it in the bluntest way possible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

evilmiera posted:

She will end up in a very misguided relationship with Kelly. Then never brought up again until Isaac questions them about it in the bluntest way possible.

That's got chain of command issues that an Alara/Gordon pairing doesn't. That does make it a good vehicle to touch on the various issues that make relationships with authority and power issues such a bad idea.

Hell, it's the future, they can do both.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Seth's ex is growing on me because she's the most normal of all the characters and is apparently the same age as me and my friends. For some reason I thought she was like in her early 40's like Seth
She's the Straight Man.

Aleph Null posted:

I imagine the Union's version of "Enterprise" coming along behind "Orville" and cleaning up its messes.

Oh, they found a generation ship that doesn't know they are in space and then... just left it? What about the fallout of revealing to everyone that everything they believed was a lie? Won't that cause civil unrest? Maybe even civil war?

Some idiots challenged the customs of the entire Maclan planet? I bet they are pretty pissed that a bunch of outsiders came in and tried to school them using ridiculous metaphors with no cultural relevance instead of a nuanced understanding of Maclan history and law.

A couple of unqualified officers were sent under cover and murdered an entire ship of Krill? Then stole the ship? While on a mission of peace? Fuuuuuck. Wait, what? Not everybody on the ship was killed? At least we'll be holding them captive so they can't go back and tell the rest of the Krill what happened. We are sending them home. Okay. Somebody's got to go face the Krill and spin this and it won't be a tiny science ship.

It could be a show all its own.

Edit: it would be like Legends of Tomorrow except the Orville crew are good at their jobs when they aren't stretched into doing things they were never trained for. Unlike all versions of the Enterprise where the captains are masters of law, history, culture, diplomacy, language, etc.
I think you might not be the target audience for Star Trek: The Orville, or any Star Trek, actually.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
There should be a special episode, Where Orville is the competent team sent to correct mistakes of a truly bottom-of-the-barrel Union ship.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I don't really like Discovery so I should probably try this show instead.

I wouldn't imagine its on any streaming service yet, is it? What's this TV thing?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wouldn't imagine its on any streaming service yet, is it? What's this TV thing?

It's on HULU the day after it airs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's on Fox Now as well

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Snak posted:

It's on HULU the day after it airs.

Sweet! I actually have hulu. Ok I'm actually gonna watch this show now

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

adhuin posted:

There should be a special episode, Where Orville is the competent team sent to correct mistakes of a truly bottom-of-the-barrel Union ship.

I don't think there will be a discovery crossover.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

The Discovery crossover will be when CBS decides to sue Fox for copyright infringement

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Arglebargle III posted:

There will be hard moralizing about nipple-torturing being wrong.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Why don't you try the Google thing, or just searching it on Hulu like anyone trying to stream a currently-running TV show would do?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Why don't you try the Google thing, or just searching it on Hulu like anyone trying to stream a currently-running TV show would do?

Your post added less to the discussion than theirs so :ironicat: or something.

Spurring discussion of streaming is a valid question. It also helps contrast how much easier it is to watch ST:TO than STD

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

STD is easier to catch outside the US.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Some inspirational videos about 'science' behind Orville:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xcy51xoppo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Xi58N5ddQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaVLnWSZY5A

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

He slipped up and called it a "Warp Drive" one time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Your post added less to the discussion than theirs so :ironicat: or something.

Spurring discussion of streaming is a valid question. It also helps contrast how much easier it is to watch ST:TO than STD

Asking where to find something on the internet is the dumbest loving thing

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

TheScott2K posted:

What about using Google to search for "facebook.com" instead of just typing in "facebook.com" in the address bar?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

What about using Google to search for "facebook.com" instead of just typing in "facebook.com" in the address bar?

Okay, that has it beat. Put a trigger warning on that next time, sheesh

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

adhuin posted:

Call it "Lower Dorks."

Aleph Null posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3bWDBWnPE

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Where can I find an angry rear end in a top hat on the Internet? Never mind, I found one

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sweet! I actually have hulu. Ok I'm actually gonna watch this show now

The pilot episode is the worst by far, so if you're a bit turned off after it, give it another episode or 2, it really starts picking up steam.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

adhuin posted:

There will be hard moralizing about nipple-torturing being wrong.

I don't have CBS:All your Money so I thought the nipple clamps thing was just hilarious hyperbole.

Jesus Christ.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I don't have CBS:All your Money so I thought the nipple clamps thing was just hilarious hyperbole.

Jesus Christ.

To be fair to the show, the ship's drive is actually powered by the creature's sexual arousal. The clamps make sense in the context of the plot. :shrug:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kurieg posted:

I don't have CBS:All your Money
That's hardly a major impediment to viewing a show in 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Every time I read something I think is hyperbole about Discovery, it turns out to be true. The interminable emotionless Klingon dialogue, "Black Alert," transwarp drive that runs on space fungus, the sinister captain who broods in literal darkness, and now the nipple clamps. If this is prestige TV then call me uncultured or whatever, but when a fanfic of '90s Trek and a U.S. Navy propaganda series are better Star Treks than a prestige treatment of Star Trek, I guess I'm a dinosaur.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kurieg posted:

Jesus Christ.

Well how else are you going to make the saucer spin so you can barrel roll into Mushroom Space?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

To be fair to the show, the ship's drive is actually powered by the creature's sexual arousal. The clamps make sense in the context of the plot. :shrug:

:what:

The Bloop posted:

That's hardly a major impediment to viewing a show in 2017

Yes but what I've heard about the show has led me to believe it's entirely orthogonal to a thing I would want to watch, why expend the effort?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kurieg posted:

it's entirely orthogonal
Sounds like the right thing to watch

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Kurieg posted:

Jesus Christ.

They are nipple needles, actually.
:goonsay:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Are you loving serious?

Like, this isn't a weird irony joke or anything, this is actually true? What in the gently caress?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

WampaLord posted:

Are you loving serious?

Like, this isn't a weird irony joke or anything, this is actually true? What in the gently caress?

It's not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there finally a new episode tonight?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Discovery has to be in the Mirror Universe.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Baronjutter posted:

Is there finally a new episode tonight?

Tonight is the first repeat. Next week is new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Tarquinn posted:

It's not.

I bailed during the third episode, but I choose to believe it's true.