Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pixelante posted:

This show isn't a wet, smoking dumpster fire.

I'm so confused.

I was super hesitant about The Orville until About A Girl. The last scene when Bortus puts a stuffed Rudolph into the baby's crib caused an emotional reaction in me, which I NEVER see Discovery doing.

Another thing: I care more about the characters in The Orville waaaaay more than I care about the characters in Discovery. I pointed this out to my wife in the car, she agreed with me, and then we were able to rattle off the names and a character summary for almost every main character in the show AND I was able to remember Klyden's name too. The only ones we could come up with on Discovery is Mikey Burns, Syliva "Total Sperg" Tully, and "Seriously Guys I'm Not A Pierson's Puppeteer See Only One Head And Two Legs" Saru. Anyone else seem to be able to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

The Krill as basically nice guys but with a hosed up religion is probably the best way to do an evil antagonist species. Leaves the door open for heretic Krill or a species-wide heel turn later, constant little metaphor about corrupt/extremist priestly classes IRL but also 'it's them or us and they can't be reasoned with' space battles. It's good I like the Krill.

Yeah, they're fun antagonists. Really nice designs all around from the makeup to the ships as well.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

mycomancy posted:

I was super hesitant about The Orville until About A Girl. The last scene when Bortus puts a stuffed Rudolph into the baby's crib caused an emotional reaction in me, which I NEVER see Discovery doing.

Another thing: I care more about the characters in The Orville waaaaay more than I care about the characters in Discovery. I pointed this out to my wife in the car, she agreed with me, and then we were able to rattle off the names and a character summary for almost every main character in the show AND I was able to remember Klyden's name too. The only ones we could come up with on Discovery is Mikey Burns, Syliva "Total Sperg" Tully, and "Seriously Guys I'm Not A Pierson's Puppeteer See Only One Head And Two Legs" Saru. Anyone else seem to be able to do this?

Stolen from the Star Wars Prequel reviews, but describe the characters from either show without mentioning their physical appearance, clothing, occupation or end goals.
The Orville passes these fairly well(in most cases) STD fails on every character.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mycomancy posted:

I could have named Lorca off the top of my head but not Tully

In this show, without looking anything up, I've got:

Ed Mercer
Gordon Malloy
The black guy on the bridge
The doctor played by Cassidy Yates' actor
Isaac
Alara
Bortus
Kelly

So not perfect name recall but pretty good for being so early in the run

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

tessiebee posted:

drat look at Kelly towering over everyone. I'm so jelly.
I like this show. I freely admit I abhor family guy, American dad, all that cartoon arseholish stuff and it did put me off Orville. But hey, it's great.

Very late to the party but, thank you for giving the show a shot. It makes me hopeful that others will too and it helps get more people into something I really like.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

I could have named Lorca off the top of my head but not Tully

In this show, without looking anything up, I've got:

Ed Mercer
Gordon Malloy
The black guy on the bridge
The doctor played by Cassidy Yates' actor
Isaac
Alara
Bortus
Kelly

So not perfect name recall but pretty good for being so early in the run

I could make the same list.

I think the problem the other bridge guy and the doctor have is that they haven't been an episode focus yet while we've had even Isaac play big parts in plots not focused on him.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I could make the same list.

I think the problem the other bridge guy and the doctor have is that they haven't been an episode focus yet while we've had even Isaac play big parts in plots not focused on him.

Also Ed keeps mentioning Isaac and it is a pretty easy name to remember. Beyond John being a pretty generic name, he only really gets mentioned once or twice by his first name outside of the first episodes or so. I don't recall if Bortus called him by his first or last name in the episode where he blew up that Krill ship, even. I mean he has a personality, but I think this next one is where his name and personality outside of his general attitude is explored.

Doctor Claire Finn (whose name I had to look up) I only ever hear as Doctor though, no matter what role she takes up. Mostly since she so far just seems like a very professional doctor in the vein of some I've met in real life when I worked in care. A bit on the stiff side, but she's very goal oriented and cares about the ethics of treatment.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I like that, while this crew are generally good people, its the doctor they turn to when theyre not sure how to proceed due to morality issues.

Dr. Finn being both one of the most experienced members and the moral center just feels right.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

evilmiera posted:

Also Ed keeps mentioning Isaac and it is a pretty easy name to remember.

I assumed "Isaac" is a reference to Isaac Asimov, the guy who wrote tons of Sci-fi novels about robots and invented the concept of the "positronic brain".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

The thing is, I don't McFarlane was pitching a comedy. I think he was pitching a really earnest Trek

Yeah, I was thinking that myself. It's as if McFarlane was sick of all this TOS reimagining, and wanted to return to the light toned deepness that TNG and DS9 had without everyone having to be the next Walter White and company.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Mokinokaro posted:

I like that, while this crew are generally good people, its the doctor they turn to when theyre not sure how to proceed due to morality issues.

Dr. Finn being both one of the most experienced members and the moral center just feels right.

She kind of reminds me of Bones to some degree. Of course that makes her sound like Dr. Pulaski who was the original lady Bones and everyone hated her. But Dr. Finn works a lot better because she isn't a literal carbon copy of Bones in a dress. Finn is less angry and doesn't pick on Data.

Her character is pretty much summed up right when you meet her - she's older, wiser and more competent than the rest of the cast. She's the one character you could actually imagine on the Enterprise, but she goes for lesser ships because she likes the challenge.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I liked how in the pilot Dr. Finn flat out says she signed on for the Orville because she knew they'd need a good doctor.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can you imagine how insanely loving difficult it must be to be a doctor in the future? All the auto-healing bays and limb printers are just to compensate for the fact that you need to remember 50+ different anatomies and limbic systems now. Organs you never even heard of and will probably never have to work on, but you need to know their name, what race they go into, and what ventricle to attach where. And then there's jellyfish people...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bring back old gbs posted:

Can you imagine how insanely loving difficult it must be to be a doctor in the future? All the auto-healing bays and limb printers are just to compensate for the fact that you need to remember 50+ different anatomies and limbic systems now. Organs you never even heard of and will probably never have to work on, but you need to know their name, what race they go into, and what ventricle to attach where. And then there's jellyfish people...

On some Futurama audio commentary, that was kind of where the concept of Zoidberg came from.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Can't be harder than being a veterinarian.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

On the other hand, you can just ask the computer pretty much anything and it'll know the answer, so how much of that do you have to keep memorized?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

On the other hand, you can just ask the computer pretty much anything and it'll know the answer, so how much of that do you have to keep memorized?

probly the same reason pros need to know the old school manual methods of anything that has been heavily automated and mechanized. like how to navigate a ship when your GPS is down, or what thingy to slice when your ipad surgeon guide crashes

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Rutibex posted:

Can't be harder than being a veterinarian.

Most vets just know dogs and cats. And sometimes bunnies and hamsters. Those are all mammals. Sometimes some of them kinda sorta know birds and reptiles but not very specifically. And all these animals come from the same planet and are vertebrates and pretty much function the same way.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You also have to imagine that doctors are only dealing with really tough cases, because for your average flu you could just go "Computer, prepare one flu treatment at my replicator" and fix it yourself. Preventative care would be extremely easy too, so I imagine most doctors are either doing common scans/tests or extreme alien surgery, with very little in-between.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I assume most of the diagnosis is done by computer scan. The future doctors jobs is to act as a glorified security guard, to prevent the crew from getting their hand on the morphine replicator.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rutibex posted:

I assume most of the diagnosis is done by computer scan. The future doctors jobs is to act as a glorified security guard, to prevent the crew from getting their hand on the morphine replicator.

I'm pretty sure that's what Dr. Crusher did. Yep, you fractured your wrist playing Parisi Squares! Nurse Ogawa, use 20cc's of Bone Glue.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what Dr. Crusher did. Yep, you fractured your wrist playing Parisi Squares! Nurse Ogawa, use 20cc's of Bone Glue.

Remember when she prescribed Riker a glass of warm milk to help him sleep? Her finest moment.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I feel like Star Trek medicine has three specialties.

Trauma: because duh
Microbiologist: deal with weird alien viruses and bacteria
Psychiatrist: for space madness.

Everything else is just taken care of by the replicator giving you a pill.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
It's super easy to remember the doctors name is Finn because she's a black person in a sci fi.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Future doctors will probably just be there to comfort people and explain to them what's happening in terms they can understand.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

WampaLord posted:

My dad liked to gesture to his wall of textbooks and say "being a physicist isn't about memorizing every equation in those books, it's about knowing which of them has the equation when you need it, and knowing which one you need."

Edit: or the old mechanic joke of "the fee isn't for hitting it with a hammer, the fee is for knowing where to hit."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 23, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Bruceski posted:

My dad liked to gesture to his wall of textbooks and say "being a physicist isn't about memorizing every equation in those books, it's about knowing which of them has the equation when you need it, and knowing which one you need."

Edit: or the old mechanic joke of "the fee isn't for hitting it with a hammer, the fee is for knowing where to hit."

qft

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Only on episode 4 but I am very surprised by how good this show is.

E: oh lord I was grinning like an idiot when they opened the sunroof. These people get why people like Star Trek.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 24, 2017

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Future doctors will probably just be there to comfort people and explain to them what's happening in terms they can understand.

"Your baby died so we had Ensign Kim bring you the soulless quantum duplicate of it. Also, the real Harry Kim died, he's a quantum duplicate too. Try not to mention it around him."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

EDIT: OMG, how was this not the first example I thought of!?

"You traveled infinitely fast and evolved into a salamander. You got better."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

Doggles fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 24, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Doggles posted:

"Your baby died so we had Ensign Kim bring you the soulless quantum duplicate of it. Also, the real Harry Kim died, he's a quantum duplicate too. Try not to mention it around him."

I can't even stand to think about how hosed up that episode was. "Sorry everyone else, only these two people died on the other side, so none of us get to go."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Doggles posted:

EDIT: OMG, how was this not the first example I thought of!?

"You traveled infinitely fast and evolved into a salamander. You got better."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

Medical doctors will have minimal training in medicine, but PhD level work in Philosophy.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I now want an episode all about Dr. Finn matter-of-factly explaining sci-fi BS medical problems to patients as they get diagnosed.

"You're not having a bad trip, the pot brownie you replicated was sabotaged with a virus that causes aphasia."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babel_(Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"You were split into your good and evil halves by the transporter."
"Yes, that's a thing the transporter can quantify. Souls are real."
"No, this is different from using the transporter to make you younger or older."
"Yes, we use the transporter to solve all possible medical problems. What do you think the glowy thing I waved over your arm when you broke it was?"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"The transporter broke and you never rematerialized, so we had to save your body and brain state in the computer until we could get it fixed, and then we had it build you from scratch. Try not to think too hard on that."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pakled posted:

"The transporter broke and you never rematerialized, so we had to save your body and brain state in the computer until we could get it fixed, and then we had it build you from scratch. Try not to think too hard on that."

"Yes Major Kira, that's why you' have the Russian accent..."
"... It was a country on Ear..."
"I'm sure Dr. Bashir didn't do..."
"Yes the entire crew. That's why Worf smokes now."
"The same way we fix everything else, the transporter."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Man it is really noticeable when there is a gap in episodes. We all need our fix.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
It's a good thing that all the Trek series are on Netflix and we can just continue talking.
No need for new Orville episodes.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of good trek, the greatest generation podcast has moved on to DS9 and it's p good stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dietrich posted:

Speaking of good trek, the greatest generation podcast has moved on to DS9 and it's p good stuff.

:yeah:

I haven't listened to the Greatest Discovery though, because I'm not in a position right now to pay money to watch Star Trek.

Although they didn't like "About a Girl," so I'm not sure how I feel anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

I haven't listened to the Greatest Discovery though, because I'm not in a position right now to pay money to watch Star Trek.

Although they didn't like "About a Girl," so I'm not sure how I feel anymore.

I like their podcasts but for comedians they live in constant fear of offending someone

As soon as a subject that could in any way be construed to be political they just bolt, unless there’s a clear cut obvious right answer they should be saying

Which is understandable, but it’s also kind of sad. Star Trek is about examining attitudes in new contexts to gain insight and self-introspection, really getting to grips with what morality means. So when it’s so obvious that they barely understand the viewpoints they espouse, even when it’s common sense just don’t be a jerk, it’s :sigh:

I also think the greatest discovery is the weakest of the two. It’s just not funny often times, often appearing to shy away from ripping into the show’s many holes and settling on just recapping the events of the show poorly.