Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I feel like if they introduce a Q like character, it should be played by Will Wheaton. The dude can totally play a smarmy arrogant type and it would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The only thing I want out of this show is for someone to get called a dick at least once per episode. I didn't realize how much calling someone an rear end in a top hat was missing from Star Trek until this show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Is it me or are there a ton of commercial breaks?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

I think it's the spacing of them. The show runs about 43-44 minutes.

I guess thats what I meant, it seems like there are more frequent, but shorter breaks.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I like this show. It sci fi, its fun, and so far the humor has been subtle and not forced, which is what I feared would be the biggest problem.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mortanis posted:

I have to give them their credit, they really get Trek. Or, at least the process of making Trek. That was basically a TNG episode with the serial numbers filed off and a few dick and tit jokes added in.

And it works.

It feels like classic TNG, right down to the way they transition to and from commercials. They pay an absurd amount of attention to the little details of how Trek was paced, flowed, shot and edited. Ignoring the arguments about whether the episode did or did not handle the subject matter well, the actual episode worked.

Do they have any Trek people working on the show or are they just really good at mimicry?

Brandon Braga directed this episode and is a producer on the show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Both holodeck scenes have great. First the super nice demon or whatever and then a dance off.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

He could have had a slanted desk so when he got it back it kept rolling off.

Haha, that actually would have been a great gag. Eventually giving it back to her to fix it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

vermin posted:

In the next two-part Orville episode premiering tonight, Ice T and Soledad O'Brien lead an investigation into the unsolved murders of hip hop legends Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls.

Already a time travel episode?

Actually, a time travel episode would have a ton of great jokes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

With the winner again being the one that takes it self less seriously.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am not saying "I totally saw this coming!!" but I did think it was weird when they said their society was all male, and not that they don't have genders. Like, how did a species with no gender come to have the concept of it and then identify as male?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Remember that time in the sitcom Scrubs where Dr. Cox gives organs that have rabies to a bunch of patients and they all die? Hilarious.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Or the one where his friend dies and he spends the entire episode in denial talking to a hallucination?

Eh, they really missed with that joke.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ok, so Liam Neeson, then Charlize Theron. So there is no way we aren't getting Patrick Stewart now right? Probably going to miss out on James Woods though....

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Isaac is a racist/speciesist whatever you want to call it. He thinks his planet is superior to most the galaxy, not every one (or maybe they do) in a similar way that the Menagerie Aliens think they are better than most species, but tolerate and welcome species as advanced as they are.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So far every episode has had an instance of one character calling another a dick. I hope this is a thing that happens every episode.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

On mobile so can't link it, but there was an SA front page post that was a janitor complaining about cleaning up the holodeck after Riker used it and its pretty funny.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its going to turn out that shaving eyebrows is Alara's species equivalent of shaving your legs and she is their version of a second wave feminist.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DaveKap posted:

It's funny how much this comes up but don't you think having an empath on the Bridge, the place where you're communicating with strange new alien life forms, is probably for the best?

It would be if she was also a bridge officer. She didn't even take that test until like season 6.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

What will probably happen is that they will examine it, determine there is one use left, and then use it in a season finale stakes gambit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tarquinn posted:

That monster! :mad:

I seriously don't get all the hate.

All popular things must be hated by the internet, regardless of quality.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Nah, there are legitimate concerns to be raised about Family Guy. Usually when someone has a bad or incorrect opinion that's part of the joke (Brian vomiting for thirty seconds straight after learning the woman he slept with was actually Quagmire's dad post-transition is about how, despite all his claims to be an open-minded liberal, he's actually transphobic) but the characters rarely get called out for being wrong, leading less-aware viewers of the show to think they're right in their lovely views.

That's also assuming Brian is the voice of reason when he has repeatedly been shown to be a complete and total blowhard that is hypocritical at its core.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

lelandjs posted:

You'd be surprised at how many people don't get that about Brian.

Nah, I also watch Rick and Morty, so I know exactly how off base a fanbase can go.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, I also distinctly remember both TNG and DS9 airing on Fox where I lived, but some other channel at my Grandma's, who lived in another state a thousand miles away.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Cingulate posted:

I don't think anyone was equating anything here, just arguing it felt incongruent to them.

Idc. All My Faves Are Problematic. Who amongst you is without sin throw the first stone etc. I wanna watch the next Orville episode, gently caress football

I did that with the second episode and ended up missing the best Thursday Night Football game in history. Tonight is supposed to be a good match up so by the rules of TNF, it will probably end up sucking.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Best opening scene(s) so far. Lots of good jokes!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh poo poo, was that a Heavy Cruiser?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I love all the Avis car rental jokes. And that Avis and Hertz still exist.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

precision posted:

It's interesting that this show went with "you want a monolithic society, you get a monolithic society". There's no Worfs around here, the teacher hates humans more than ever and doesn't understand why they saved the colony, the Krill are literally people that can't coexist with other life.

The Krill seem to be about the same level of technology as the Union, but I wonder if they have tangled with or otherwise view the other much mode advanced species.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Caufman posted:

Oh you mean Devan?

It was totally spelled Devyn.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

You should check out Agents of SHIELD.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Gynovore posted:

One time, Nana Visitor fell and sprained an ankle and had to go to the hospital. She still had her nose ridges on, so the doctors thought it was some weird condition.

This story doesn't really track for me. Like what doctor looks at a hosed up nose and just assumes its a condition they never heard of. Like someone would have been like, what the gently caress is up with your nose at the very least, mainly because after establishing why you are an ER, the very next thing asked is "do you have any other medical conditions?" And if she answered "no" the appropriate follow up is "what the gently caress is up with your nose then?"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I feel like Star Trek medicine has three specialties.

Trauma: because duh
Microbiologist: deal with weird alien viruses and bacteria
Psychiatrist: for space madness.

Everything else is just taken care of by the replicator giving you a pill.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Doggles posted:

"Your baby died so we had Ensign Kim bring you the soulless quantum duplicate of it. Also, the real Harry Kim died, he's a quantum duplicate too. Try not to mention it around him."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

EDIT: OMG, how was this not the first example I thought of!?

"You traveled infinitely fast and evolved into a salamander. You got better."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

Medical doctors will have minimal training in medicine, but PhD level work in Philosophy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

It only appears that way at first glace. Like aircraft carriers. They are pretty different shapes once you focus on how the curves meet the main ship body. So it appears their warp/quantum/whatever drives function by using those 3 stacked ring structures, if its the big focal points of both vessels

Yeah, I took it like how in Star Trek every Federation ship has parallel paired nacelles, but there is still variation on the things those nacelles are attached too. Looks like the Union tech requires the triple arcs to travel.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Patrick Stewart is confirmed to be on this season, not a rumor.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Isaac actually called it on the the absolute temperature scale, but the translator put it into Fahrenheit because thats what we understand best.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Eh, there's no reason for celsius to exist. If you're doing science, use Kelvin. If you're checking the temperature outside, use Fahrenheit.

Also, most (not all) bad effects of a fever are caused by the rate of change in temperature, not the actual temperature itself (to a point). So to convey urgency, Isaac could have just said that his temp has risen 3 degrees in the last hour, which regadless of the scale we normally use would be an effective way of portraying a dire situation.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Annnnd unbookmark...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I really like the opening to this episode. In fact, I love all the openings that are the crew hanging out, it seems to be where the best jokes come from.