Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Accretionist posted:

I assumed inking. Like squids.

That's the funny option, so I'm going with that too. Although I would have allowed a blue balls joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Look on the desk:

Godamnit. :doh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Oh yeah and episode 2 hit home a bit here because the alien kid in the zoo reminded me a LOT of my 5 year old daughter, right down to the bashful hiding from people she doesn't know, so I was slightly hoping for a little genocide tbh.

Look at it this way, they're about to subject themselves to 1000s of hours of reality TV all at once. Genocide would be mercy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

vermin posted:

I was hoping Bortus was going to give an inspirational speech to Kitan about how Captain Mercer was inspired to lead his crew by the great amphibian leader Kermit the Frog.

It's still early times, they still might do that (I hope).

Q_res posted:

I've always kind of wanted to see a Sci-Fi show where humans are the hardcore warrior race that scares the poo poo out of reasonable, polite races. But I would definitely take this as an option.

We kind of already are:
https://imgur.com/gallery/wpZ4w/comment/737926483

https://imgur.com/gallery/309O7tJ

http://elidyce.tumblr.com/post/157931371698/humans-are-weird

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Like, I dunno I bet the security chief after Jerry Doyle went to Mars probably died or something

Yup. Jeff Conaway died a few years ago, complications from being high as gently caress all the time. I met him at a small B5 event. He was late and very hung over.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

precision posted:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is on Hulu :)

Shin Godzilla also exists as an awesome bureaucracy satire (it's on Amazon).

I like The Orville a whole bunch.

"The captain said to get your rear end on the bridge."

An alien making a cultural reference and the humans not getting it. Twice.

Seth McFarlane can actually act captain-y.

And I'll stand up with the "want the critics who hated this episode to explain themselves in detail" crew.

muscles like this! posted:

Nah, that timeslot is a death sentence. Nothing sticks and everything they put in there ends up canned in one season.

Close. They put shows they want to promote in that slot. Fox executives are idiots so a lot of the shows that get this treatment softly and silently vanish away when put into the 'real' timeslot they were intended for all along.

This is almost as good as the TNG S8 Twitter, except we're getting full episodes instead of synopses,

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

precision posted:

Bortas, when his mate confessed. :nod:

Yeah, well let's face it - there is no question at all that "Darmok" is one of McFarlane's favorite episodes, everyone has that on their top ten. The power of story, and the influence a new story can have on a culture cannot be underestimated. The episode's message that "even if you can't communicate or understand each other's culture, you can still cooperate" is an important one.

For The Orville, I'd like to point out that the very first shot of the episode is seven of the main characters, even Isaac, bending over the baby. And it's shot from the baby's point of view. That shot immediately establishes that the baby's point of view is what's important in this episode, it's all about her. It's also super cute. Later in the scene, after Bortas has said he will make the arrangements, Klyden breaks eye contact and looks down. That's often symbolic of shame or embarrassment. Then you see the baby, looking back at Klyden. That shows a connection between the two, and that whatever Klyden was feeling, he was thinking about the girl. This interaction adds impact when Klyden announces that he was born female, and it's good cinematography.

I have to give the writers a lot of credit for that last scene. Bortus has a really positive reaction. Verbalizing that you love them anyway, you're just mad about it being kept from you is a fantastic way to handle getting a big secret dumped on you. That's the show portraying a healthy relationship and I respect it a lot for that.

edit:
They did some interesting things with physical comforting between couples at the end of the episode. After the verdict was declared they showed Kelly comforting Bortus, touching him while she's doing so. Then they show Ed and Kelly walking out of the courtroom together. He has his arm around her, rubbing her shoulder as consolation for losing the case. It looks like what you'd do with a close friend when they're really down. She's got her arm back on his shoulder, sort of holding on to him with it. It's really good blocking by the director to show just where their relationship is right now. After they exit the focus shifts to Bortus.

Bortus is shown with his hands clasped behind his back, staring off into the distance, and standing apart from the crowd. In fact, Kelly and Ed come into frame in a tracking show following Bortus away from everyone else. He is obviously hurting and is taking the time and distance he needs to process what just happened. Klyden comes up from behind him, extends a hand hesitantly, and then leaves Bortus be, just as he needs. There's a lot packed into that scene visually and the director (Brannon Braga ! with only three prior directing credits, and none on any Trek) nails it. At the end of the scene, Bortus is shown alone, with everyone literally turning their backs on him and walking away. Again, very well shot.

When the baby si returned after the procedure, it's Bortus who takes and and asks permission to go home. Klyden and Bortus walk off together, close but not touching in any way. Ed and Kelly follow, after she gives him a look, arms around each other's waists. That shows progression in their physical contact and hints that they're becoming closer. She's more open to it than he is, but their postures were identical.

I was in the "don't get them back together" camp, but if they're doing it as carefully and slowly as this, it will probably end up being the natural thing to do with the characters. Don't do it, close friends with an intimate history is fine.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 23, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

She said she had to bring the crew to the future because they should be dead and she didn't want to change the timeline too much. Except, if she hadn't gone back in time, they wouldn't have changed course to rescue her and probably would not have encountered the bubbles anyways. So... eh?

They were back on their original course, the one they'd have to deviate 5 days from to get repairs at Outpost 49.

Really solid episode. I think the humor has settled down to a perfect mix of absurdities played straight and actual laugh out loud funny stuff. Mixed with both a good SF and a good character plot made for a very entertaining show. Everyone had good moments, except for Bortas and he had an episode and a half just now, so its fair. If it stays like this I'm going to be a very happy fan.

The ending, I do not think was flat. It was bittersweet and showed real character for Ed. His personal issues are no longer affecting his performance as a Union officer. Good on him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Hey, from a few back but I think that show was the butchered carcass of Phoenix Without Ashes, a Harlan Ellison spec about, you guessed it, a multi-level genship that has its nav crew taken out by a freak meteor storm. The protagonist is some teen that is constrained by his NotAmish life, and he discovers they're in a ship and gets exiled with some girl, only to embark on a way to save the ship from crashing into a sun or something.

Ellison struck his name from the show because he's a crusty gently caress that doesnt understand how things get adapted, and like 30 years later released a graphic novel about his original pitch.

Starlost ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

-If the bring Pria back as a minor recurring character like Vash that would be great- since the idea of a thief that only steals things from the past that are supposed to be dead/destroyed is such a weird idea with a lot of ways to tie in to a problem of the week format.

I do hope she shows up again. I got a weird con artist vibe from Pria early on and started thinking of Harry Mudd. The show could use some recurring opposition. For added humor, every episode should end with her visit being wiped from the timeline so they never remember having met her before.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Better, they remember her (since they stay in their timeline) but she forgets them because she's always from the changed one. "Crap, she's back. Okay, everyone play along until she stops whatever blows us up THIS time."

Ok, now that's a MUCH better idea than I had. Mid-season 5 Ms. Theron does her best acting job ever when Ed tells her that this is the 4th time they've sent her packing to her home timeline.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

DaveKap posted:

:same: but I haven't heard good things about last night's episode so I'm as cautious about how the season will go as I was when Orville premiered.

Last night's was more Trek-y than last week. I'm still enjoying The Orville more, but DSC is starting to track as Trek.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That.... that was really hosed up.

I mean that in the best possible way, but they just had a Pale Moonlight moment in their fifth episode. That was really well plotted, it could have been painfully predictable, but they ended it creatively. I kind of agree with the "the endings could be punchier" crowd. ut the episode should settle those complaints, this one ended with power and force.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I did notice that the captain and XO have cup holders in the console between them.

Of course ! After all, you can have sodas on the bridge !

I don't think anybody thought MacFarlane had the subtlety for the Avis-Hertz-Enterprise joke. I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the show.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Headcanon time! I think that there's some automatic response protocol that acknowledges the hail even if no-ones available or wants to talk, so turning that off is a sign of hostility or distress. So when Worf says "no response", he means that that protocol isn't working for whatever reason.

Right. A "fast busy" versus "it's still ringing".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Zoro posted:

TV Guide from 1963:

"You won't believe the hijinks the Enterprise crew get up to this week! When Santa is found out to be a god-like alien who doesn't just judge whose naughty and nice, but decides whether species have the right to exist, the Enterprise crew finds themselves having to defend mankind in a court on Santa's homeworld. Watch as Captain Kirk, Spok, and Bones try to explain how mankind has evolved passed the horrors of its barbaric past to a council made up of Santa, the Easter Bunny, Father Time, Jesus Christ, Buddha, Moses, the Juedo-Christian God, and Muhammad. Will this be the last Christmas ever? Not if the Enterprise has anything to say about it!"

1970 (it's obviously a season 4 episode), but otherwise :perfect:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I personally hope she ends up in a relationship with Gordon, who desperately tries to get out of the relationship because of a history of bad breakups making him fear for his life

All of which would, of course, have been his fault in various hilariously stupid ways.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

evilmiera posted:

She will end up in a very misguided relationship with Kelly. Then never brought up again until Isaac questions them about it in the bluntest way possible.

That's got chain of command issues that an Alara/Gordon pairing doesn't. That does make it a good vehicle to touch on the various issues that make relationships with authority and power issues such a bad idea.

Hell, it's the future, they can do both.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

The usual scenario for FTL violating causality is things moving around near each other at relativistic speeds. I'm not sure how warp bubbles would affect that scenario. Probably very intense cerenkov radiation would be involved.

The Exoirdium series (highly recommended) has tactical FTL travel. It makes space combat veeery interesting. An actual real-life naval analyst talks about it here:

http://www.kentaurus.com/exordium.htm#tactics

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Bruceski posted:

As I understand it, traveling faster than light relative to the immediately surrounding space results in causality issues because time and space are linked and stuff gets weird. But taking a geometric shortcut while light takes the long way round is fine. Space is a twisty mountain road and warp drives go as the crow flies.

Tactical FTL gets really fun. Klingon prison ship is just puttering along at way less than lightspeed. The Discovery has been snooping around and they have good observations on the prison ship from oh, a light minute out. They spend 49 seconds observing and then activate the spore drive and jump to 10 light seconds away and launch photon torpedoes. Let's say photon torpedoes travel at light speed, they'll impact in 10 seconds. The Discovery jumps again, this time to 5 light seconds away and cuts loose with her phasers. Again, call them lightspeed weapons. This takes 5 seconds. The Discovery jumps away to safety.

The prison ship, out of nowhere, is hit by photon torpedoes from one direction and phasers from another. A second later, she gets her first glimpse of the Discovery a light minute out, preparing an attack run.

You can do this with warp drive too, that's the Picard Maneuver.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Computer ! I want to watch something that makes me happy.

Yeah, this'll do.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

...but Star Trek V sucked. Also making the show about Spock's stepsister is really lame. Why does she need to be connected to Spock and Sarek? Why can't we have her stand on her own? Ugh. It's lame as poo poo.

She should have been T'Pol's protege (or T'Pau's !), not Sarek's. Blaylock would have been down for a guest spot or two. That gets you a guest star, continuity, and your (not strictly necessary, but fun and traditional) passing the torch moment.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Literal bot upvoting fake news

drat right. Although somewhere out there in the multiverse a GCU is watching that and thinking "hold my beer".

Bortus killed it in this episode; I had to rewind the American Idol exchange because I was laughing too hard to cope. The single word "Why ?" should not have been that funny.

Kelly and Alara had good scenes this episode, it's a drat shame John and Claire had opportunities for character development, but never got the focus in the episode and that's a drat shame. If anything, this reinforced the show's portrayal of John as the one-note "BOOM !" guy. Claire has a good actress playing her, but she's getting very little to work with. That might change next episode, the preview had her featured.

The mix of humor in this episode was perfect. So was the main plot; Black Mirror comparisons are on point. As soon as the credits rolled I was thinking "I should delete my Facebook profile". Nope, kitten videos and a few people I have limited interaction with offline says no

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Okay that was pretty good.

I'd go very good with a chance at greatness. The script still treated John like comic relief even though he was the focus of the episode. Taking him and his situation seriously would have been gold, but they still delivered an easy silver.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Is ripping off a Black Mirrior episode a kind of meta joke? I mean, Star Trek did half assed rip offs of The Twilight Zone and poo poo all the time.

It's a Star Trek joke. Thats what happens whenever anyone sees Spock's ears on a primitive planet.

Star Trek wasn't so much an occasional ripoff of The Twilight Zone as a series with set characters that sometimes did stories you'd only ever else find on TZ. or Black Mirror, the dystopian future Twilight Zone anthology show we needed but didn't deserve.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

Mercer is fine with me because he is mostly playing the straight guy with occasional Dad joke.

And he captained it up nicely in About A Girl. He showed good moral character and decisiveness when Bortus first raised the issue, and again when he passed the defense role over to Kelly. I think the character is deliberately a little bland as a deliberate choice to help the other characters shine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Oh no! Not light years! They might take all of 10 minutes to get over to them :v:

(I don't actually care but hopefully its a lot of light years and not like, 5.)

At 10 light years per hour sustained cruise, yeah, better be a lot of light years.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jazerus posted:

for all its humor, the orville sometimes takes things more seriously than star trek ever did

The surprise for me was that the show isn't structurally a comedy at all. Most of the episodes end on a down note.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

That was a pretty good episode. Had some good stakes, and a couple good jokes. Much better than last week's cringefest. I'm really glad this show got a second season.

The episode they aired last week ? That was the pilot. They've come light years since.

I liked it a lot. Putting Isaac and the kids together was a great storytelling move. Claire's captivity was shot really loving creepy. It played out like an exaggerated women's POV of contemporary America. I also like the "doomsday prepper" angle to the captor, that was well done.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

^^^ Isaac could almost certainly dual wield as well.

Last week was Social Media planet.

What a time to be alive. They still have a bad opinion, just a different reason.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

DaveKap posted:

BTW when the shuttle gets split in half and you see Finn's half just fly away... holy gently caress that is nightmare inducing. Nice job being a scary show.

They really gave Dr. Finn a rough time of it. The crash, being separated from the kids, trapped by PrepAlien, crossing a window ledge to safety. I was impressed by how they shot the captivity scenes. The camera work emphasized how much bigger and more threatening he was, it really made the scenes creepier. And when they do get violent, he does just backhand her down the hallway even after being stabbed. A woman's nightmare right there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

She had Protective Landing On Terrain armor.

:golfclap:
I see what you did there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That's still the most worrying episode synopsis ever though.

After the last half dozen episodes I think they can pull it off.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

Posted this in-universe explanation fan theory earlier itt as well as in the STD thread because they have a similar complaint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Kju_-1sYM&t=5s

Ehh, it's textual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhSm6G7cVk

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'm pretty sure people 3 apartments down heard me laughing at this

I loved the whole thing, but I didn't start laughing hard enough to have to pause until Bortus got interrupted. I was also happy to see him get more time in the big chair later on.

Alara won this episode. This all ends badly if she doesn't put everything together. She'll end up as the most competent security chief in Star Trek history.

Davros1 posted:

"Maybe"

drat.

Oh, I was hoping MacFarlane would go all the way with it, but I'll take just ending up in bed scantily clad. There was some really good interplay between who's acting professional and who's neglecting their duties to be with Blue Rob Lowe. There was a lot to like about this script. I would have loved the symmetry with Kelly catching Ed in bed with Blue Rob Lowe while he's neglecting his duties, but what we got was just fine. I'm just amazed that I spent as much time as I did chanting "please go there" at a Seth MacFarlane production.

Ending it ambiguously like that was unexpected, but I really appreciate it. A broken relationship like that rarely gets a clear definition of one thing that caused everything to go badly. So, Ed+Kelley-wise the characters have an opening to get back together, but there's no technobabble solution to why their marriage failed.

I'm seeing some Discovery parallels today. This episodes starts with a karaoke session, the time loop episode features a house party. The preview for next week features the line "Run !", and DISCO had that in S01E03. I'm sure it's just parallel evolution.

And get a load of the TOS vibe when the doctor shows up dressed sexy ! Yowza !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I don’t know about anybody else, but I’m digging the character development. Alara had a strong episode this time, and Issac killed it last one.

Can we also remember that Star Trek, at its heart, is aspirational, and often skims the surface of weighty subjects, with cultural relevance left to debate in other mediums? The implications in this episode merit debate, but following format, don’t necessarily demand a deep exploration in media res.

And they get people talking about the issues. We sat down to watch an entertaining show, and now there's a serious discussion about consent issues going on. That's Star Trek as hell.

Also, Team Alara. She's the best character so far.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Claire's dress and her music cues were incredibly TOS.

There was a serious TOS and Uhura vibe off of that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Here's a question: if Rob Lowe was in heat was he fully in control of his own actions? Were his own pheremones affecting him just as much as anyone else?

That's a good point, nobody involved was in their right mind. All the issues surrounding sex and consent would have been out of his mind until he goes into heat, barring any new customs his race has created involving members of other species. The timing of the episode playing it all for comedy instead of as a serious issue is off, but it is still helping inform the serious discussion OUR culture is having right now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Goddamn what a good script.

Everyone did a great job with their characters. Brannon Braga directed again and a (female) Family Guy writer did the script. Everything, except for a few green screen shots, was just really well done.

MisterBibs posted:

I think I said this before, but man, I'm really digging Halston Sage and her ability to actually act. She's mostly just been the Cute Girl in things I've seen that she's been in, but even her body language in this (and other) episodes conveys so much.

Alara has been the best character, and this episode really shows off how good a job Sage is doing. The body language she's doing sells every scene she's in.

Baronjutter posted:

Penny Johnson looked like she was having a blast being evil crazy doctor.
Also I love the robbit's fluid almost dainty hand movements, he's got a badass C-3PO vibe going on

The doctor and Isaac got some great screen time. I'm really enjoying Johnson's doctor. Isaac's red eyes was inspired.w

Tom Guycot posted:

I really really want a malloy, lamarr, and bortus trapped on a malfunctioning holodeck episode now.

And call back to the pilot and the problem is caused by Malloy messing with the program; like the bandito student of dance. Then we get an episode of those three dealing with a hilariously messed up holodeck scenario.

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › The TV IV › The Orville: Regardless, it is crushed.

^^ Needs to happen.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Let's just say it is a good thing this was all a simulation or the Moclans would be dealing with a lot of diplomatic fallout right now.

That's ok, the Moclans are good at dealing with fallout :v: