Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chop Sunni posted:

Tiny little thing but Isaac leaning in just as intently as the others when Bortus started chowing down on junk was neat. Apart from setting up the practical joke bit, he hasn't had a genuine bleep blorp what-is-love moment since day 1 and that's great.

I really like how it's social constructs and idioms that confuse Isaac and not emotions. Makes him a far more fun character.

It also gives him a nice connection to Alara and Bortus since they also don't understand everything the humans say or do.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

The Krill as basically nice guys but with a hosed up religion is probably the best way to do an evil antagonist species. Leaves the door open for heretic Krill or a species-wide heel turn later, constant little metaphor about corrupt/extremist priestly classes IRL but also 'it's them or us and they can't be reasoned with' space battles. It's good I like the Krill.

Yeah, they're fun antagonists. Really nice designs all around from the makeup to the ships as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

I could have named Lorca off the top of my head but not Tully

In this show, without looking anything up, I've got:

Ed Mercer
Gordon Malloy
The black guy on the bridge
The doctor played by Cassidy Yates' actor
Isaac
Alara
Bortus
Kelly

So not perfect name recall but pretty good for being so early in the run

I could make the same list.

I think the problem the other bridge guy and the doctor have is that they haven't been an episode focus yet while we've had even Isaac play big parts in plots not focused on him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I like that, while this crew are generally good people, its the doctor they turn to when theyre not sure how to proceed due to morality issues.

Dr. Finn being both one of the most experienced members and the moral center just feels right.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

As I said earlier, Mercer's terrible jokes just keep getting more amusing.

Seth having his character be an awkward goober really was one of the best routes.

He's like the poster child for how voice acting and live action require different skills.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

This legit opens up the captain and XO to get back together

In a way that doesn't feel hackneyed. I'm really impressed by the writing in general with this show.

Edit: I also have to give Seth props for his acting this episode. He really pulled off his scenes.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 10, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Dude realized he hosed up and decided to help.

That's how I read it too. There's still the cultural barrier, but he realized what he did wasn't appropriate to human culture and this was the closest he could manage to an apology.

He's still an rear end in a top hat, but he tried.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It really is incredible how they use Bortus in just the right amount. His schtick would get tiring if overused but they know exactly when to have him be the punchline.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

What the what... hahaha. I gotta see this.

You do. It is quite honestly a good episode.

A lot of Voyager is trite, but it does have its moments.

Edit: though muscles like this! is wrong that it's the hologram crew ship involved. It was just a more advanced vessel that was designed to use its holographic doctor as a full crew member so it had emitters set up for him across the ship.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 19, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

That's a weird choice. Did they think this one made a better season finale or did the season just have to be abruptly cut short for some reason?

The fan theory is there's a cliffhanger ending and Seth planned it this way. If they only had one season, they'd get to resolve it but if they were renewed it could be used for the end of season.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
As has been said before, I do hope they consider giving the shuttle a redesign both inside and out. The interior set is very awkward to frame once you put more than 2 people in due to how the seats are laid out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

I really don't like the way the shuttles look in this show and I can't put my finger on why.

The thing looks like an electric razor or trimmer.

I love the look of the big Orville ships but the shuttle is just kind of ugly.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd assume crew quarters and other recreation would share a deck with the bar so maybe those windows are officers quarters.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Looks like Disney owns this show now

I believe the deal only covers the film side of Fox.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

Next week on The Orville: The Orville is sent to make a deal with 6 plucky space adventurers to retrieve an artifact that will mean peace between two long warring civilizations. The obly question is can they trust this Star Lord and his companions.

I'd watch it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I still love the episode where Archer's dog pisses on a holy tree and causes a diplomatic incident.

The resolution is a little weak but that setup is surprisingly great and overall the episode manages to portray the whole thing well.

It's just such a weird episode in general but man did it do a great job of establishing characters and portray diplomacy as the shitshow it often is.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 19, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

Along with that, I always enjoyed the episode where they offended a race who stormed off their ship because they invited them to the captains mess to eat dinner and it turned out to them eating food in front of other people was as vulgar as just loving in front of a crowd of guests.

The show really did a great job showing just how lacking in any and all grace and tact the humans of that time were when first meeting all these species.

I believe that was the same episode but different aliens.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Unfortunately the people involved in making it send up a lot of red flags. We shall see tho.

It was a decent buddy cop movie that happens to take place in a semi-fantasy world.

At the same time Landis decided to call his company "Trigger Warning Entertainment" and the movie does feel like it veers into "gently caress your feelings, libruls" at times with its "social commentary." This is in addition to all the nasty crap Landis has done his entire career coming back to bite him finally.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

So...you agree with this post?

It actually got pretty drat good on Dave after the terrible Back to Earth nonsense.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

After The War posted:

You are obviously insane, because Robert Llewellyn perfected the series. (And Isaac's cadence sounds closer to Kryten than Data to my ears.)

Spoilers for latest season of Red Dwarf Lovett came back for a cameo in the finale and supposedly is open to a full time return.

Edit: \/ I'm embarrassed to have mixed up their names.

Kryten does remain great in the newer seasons.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 31, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nah, just something a bunch of nerds made up. It doesn't appear to be at all official.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it's easy to dunk on the prequels, but I think Mike's true passion is trek and you can tell how sad he is that the TNG movies range from mediocre to trash. I'd say nemesis is worse than the prequels.

It's Insurrection for me.

And it's not that Insurrection is HORRIBLE. It just really feels like an extended, and overbudgeted episode outside of that dumb dune buggy scene.

I also can never rewatch it because I was watching it when we got the phone call about my grandfather passing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Does it count when they're a "monogender" species?

I do enjoy how normal their family life is portrayed though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gynovore posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ on a pogo stick, is this for real? Some shitfucking small-town station actually felt that the word 'high' might injure young ears? Jeezus.

It always amused me when I lived across the border from Detroit that all the American stations would censor drug references and the "god" part of "goddamn" while the Canadian ones only seemed to care about easily noticed curses.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I think it was the best of the season.

It was a very tight episode that focused on two main characters, introduced Claire's children as characters. It put them all in peril, and in the end everyone had well earned growth.

It's definitely top three.

Firestorm and New Dimensions I'd consider the other two but I'm not sure where I'd rank any of those compared to each other.

Weakest, imo, were of course the date rape hormone one and Majority Rule (because it felt like LaMarr was out of character for the whole thing.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

I watched this whole thing unfold and almost the opposite of everything you said happened.

Yeah this. They even finished it semi-amicably, though she's said she can't accept his apology yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Didnt the expanse get picked up by amazon since bezos has a major stiffy for it?

The deal isn't finalized but it's probably happening.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

That just makes me sad.

Its disappointing. Good for her actrree most likely but Alara was a highlight of the first season.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

I grew up with the original DuckTales, but all I have seen of the reboot is the theme song... and so far I have zero complaints. My childhood has not been ruined. So far.

It's seriously really well done. They managed to update it while preserving everything good about the original.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

It's actually kind of striking how similar this trailer is to the Discovery season 2 one. Hinting at an overarcing storyline, sprinkles of humour (the shuttle gag in the Orville one is almost identical to the cut to Detmer and the other helm lady in Discovery), including some sneezing as a punchline, and a cover of a popular rock song.

Yeah. It almost feels like the Discovery trailer was very much in response to Orville's reception in general (not the Orville trailer, the fact that there seem to be a lot more folks positive on Orville than Discovery.)

I'm willing to give Discovery another chance if it actually hits the tone of that trailer better but I'm not hopeful.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

hanales posted:

Are you not watching the good place? You should be watching the good place.

Good Place is probably the best comedy we have had in years.

And Red Dwarf definitely hit a slump in seasons 7-Back to Earth but the seasons on Dave have been pretty solid.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

And Clara was a plot tumor made almost entirely out of Moffat thinking he was far cleverer than he actually was.

She sure poisoned Capaldi's run.

In general Moffatt was bad at not knowing when to get rid of a companion. He needed more "one and done" ones like Bill.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't think that was Bortus' kid. Clyden was standing next to Bortus, the guy standing behind the kid who led the kid away was older - so the kid might even have been Bortus' younger brother, or a nephew or something.

Apparently the episode moved from season one will involve Bortus' kid.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

Bad news: It's pretty much permanent.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/01/14/the-orville-halston-sage-exit-departure-alara/

Door's open, but she's gone for "unspecified reasons"

Wonder if the comment about her having a fling with Seth is true.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 17, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Seth has this weird thing where he's actually very good at acting through body language and facial expression, but not always with the line delivery.

It works fine with Mercer due to the character but it was a big reason why that dumb Western comedy he did was awful.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I really hope we're not losing Isaac.

The Kaylon being antagonists was almost inevitable but the Orville wouldn't feel right without him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Donovan Trip posted:

No weird delays, but ongoing drama beyond the episode

There's only one more episode left in the season and we haven't heard about a renewal yet. Hope we don't end on another cliffhanger.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lazlo Nibble posted:

No. Five more episodes this season after tonight’s.

Really? Wikipedia must have it wrong because they said it was only renewed for a ten episode season. Glad to be wrong though.

EDIT: Love that the Kaylon are basically violent Geth but glad they've got some interesting motivations.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 1, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Oh, Isaac's on their side after all as much as he can be...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Oh god....they're confusing BDSM with actual slavery, aren't they?