Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Everything I have heard about this show makes me think it is going to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

This one I almost forgive because the dude has clearly wanted to be Captain Picard since he was like 15.

That is fair. If I was in his shoes my new show would be me driving KITT around outer space with Heather Locklear and Robocop.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 12, 2017

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Seth Macfarlane and Patrick Stewart work together a lot, from the voice work in Family Guy and American Dad, but also Macfarlane produced Blunt Talk too.

I would really, really be surprised if Patrick Stewart doesn't show up in Orville at some point, wearing a huge wig.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

It sucks being in Oregon because I can't watch this for three more hours, while people in Florida can watch it now from their hurricane destroyed shanty towns.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I liked it.

I wish they could have just called it Star Trek - Orville. I also think the critics would have loved the exact same show if Seth Mcfarlane wasn't involved. Same script but with Jon Hamm or Luke Wilson and it would be the darling of Rotten Tomatoes.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Zurui posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo. Is this show just accidentally what America wants right now?

Yes. Except for the ones that watch football or NCIS.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Fox Television Group chairman and CEO Dana Walden posted:

“We’re not really concerned,” she said. “We obviously have a big legal team. We vet things, so it’s not like we’re just flying by the seat of our pants out here. Seth’s intention is to do something that clearly pays homage to Star Trek, that clearly was inspired a lot by Star Trek.

Also, there is a lot going on in this trailer fro the next few episodes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVisPe0s2lg

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 13, 2017

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What I really want to see though is the aliens using references that the humans don't get, even if it only happens a few times.

Shaka, when the walls fell?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I hope Orville runs 7 seasons and they never have a holodeck malfunction. It could have buffering issues or whatever, but it should never threaten the ship, create life, or trap anyone inside.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

He could have had a slanted desk so when he got it back it kept rolling off.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

We will later find out her name is Mitchell...

Gary Mitchell.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

So did they make that episode specificity for me? It felt like it pushed all my buttons for science fiction.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Eiba posted:

Or maybe I'm missing something because I don't know who the guest star is?

You don't know who Charlize Theron is?

2017 The Fate of the Furious
Cipher
2017 Atomic Blonde
Lorraine Broughton
2016 Kubo and the Two Strings
Monkey (voice)
2016 The Last Face
Wren
2016 The Huntsman: Winter's War
Ravenna
2016 Dior J'adore: The Absolute Femininity (Video short)
Model
2015 Mad Max: Fury Road
Imperator Furiosa
2015 Dark Places
Libby Day
2014 Dior J'adore: The Future Is Gold (Video short)
Model
2014 A Million Ways to Die in the West
Anna
2012 Snow White and the Huntsman
Ravenna
2012/I Prometheus
Meredith Vickers
2011 Young Adult
Mavis Gary
2010 Brandon Flowers: Crossfire (Video short)
Heroine
2009 Astro Boy
'Our Friends' Narrator (voice)
2009/I The Road
Woman
2008 The Burning Plain
Sylvia
2008 Hancock
Mary
2008 Sleepwalking
Joleen
2007 Battle in Seattle
Ella
2007 In the Valley of Elah
Det. Emily Sanders
2006 Robot Chicken (TV Series)
Daniel's Mom / Mother / Waitress
- Book of Corrine (2006) ... Daniel's Mom / Mother / Waitress (voice)
2005 Arrested Development (TV Series)
Rita
- The Ocean Walker (2005) ... Rita
- Notapusy (2005) ... Rita
- Mr. F (2005) ... Rita
- Forget Me Now (2005) ... Rita
- For British Eyes Only (2005) ... Rita
2005 Æon Flux
Aeon Flux
2005 Æon Flux (Video Game)
Æon Flux (voice)
2005 North Country
Josey Aimes
2004 Head in the Clouds
Gilda Bessé
2004 The Life and Death of Peter Sellers
Britt Ekland
2003 Monster
Aileen
2003 The Italian Job
Stella Bridger
2002 Waking Up in Reno
Candy Kirkendall
2002/I Trapped
Karen
2001 The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Laura Kensington
2001 15 Minutes
Rose Hearn
2001 Sweet November
Sara Deever
2000 The Legend of Bagger Vance
Adele Invergordon
2000 Men of Honor
Gwen Sunday
2000 The Yards
Erica Soltz
2000 Reindeer Games
Ashley
1999 The Cider House Rules
Candy Kendall
1999 The Astronaut's Wife
Jillian Armacost
1998 Mighty Joe Young
Jill Young
1998 Celebrity
Supermodel
1997 The Devil's Advocate
Mary Ann Lomax
1997 Trial and Error
Billie Tyler
1997 Hollywood Confidential (TV Movie)
Sally
1996 That Thing You Do!
Tina
1996 2 Days in the Valley
Helga Svelgen
1995 Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest
Eli's Follower

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Kurieg posted:

It's a Fox show, they have to hit the ground running or they'll get cancelled.

I miss Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Hehe, another jar of pickles. CALLING IT: at some point, Alara will ask what pickles are.

Or he will have an actual jar of pickles he can’t open, and she will open it and be all “ohhhhh.”

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Should have said the why don't you make like a tree and leaf classic.

"Make it grow"

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

There is 90% chance that Fox executives thought The Orville was animated until they started getting bills for the sets.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Doggles posted:

Bottom line: How is a Seth MacFarlane comedy promoting more thought and moral discussion than the current Star Trek series?!

But Discovery has monsters in nipple clamps forced to calculate the mushroom warp drive.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

That planet sure has embraced denim.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Warp drive isn't really FTL, it's a janky workaround that contracts/ expands space instead so the ship is only moving faster than light from distant reference frames.

The trick is that the space between the destination and the origin gets a lot shorter. And the trick is that the ship has negative mass and kills you.

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I thought he was Charles Esten for a few minutes until he started talking about sugar.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Phylodox posted:

The Return.

All of the Shatnerverse audio books are (of course) read by Shatner himself. Let me see what all I can remember about them...

Kirk is reanimated by a Romulan/Borg alliance, stealing his body and infusing it with nanites. The Romulan woman in charge hated Kirk because her father? was killed by him in battle.

Kirk fights off the Borg programming and is unable to kill Picard, instead joining him to blow the Romulan woman out of the sky and sneak into the Borg home world. They know whoever pushes the Borg death button will die, so Kirk sucker punches Picard and beams him back to the ship, knowing he was going to die anyway due to the nanites. At the last second he sees an emergency Borg transporter beam and jumps into it.

In the next book he tells finds the beam sent him to a Borg trash dump and he is rescued by trashed Borg who remove the nanites with plants? and cure him. He travels to meet his one true love, a half Romulan/half Klingon woman who was dying of the plague that he cures with Vulcan tea.

The plague was caused my crazy Vulcans who wanted to prevent galactic colonization for some reason I forget. Kirk kills them in an explosion of the plague ship I think.

The next three books were my favorites. They were all about the mirror universe and it’s greatest villain trying to conquer our universe. One guess who could possibly be so treacherous and amazing...

Evil Kirk.

Evil Kirk is thwarted over and over by good Kirk in his plans; building a giant replicator to copy the Enterprise E, finding a fleet of Fesarius class ships, and mixing with his DNA with monsters to make killer children. Some high points were a Statfleet captain/admiral? that was a potted plant and also a hologram, a holodeck of an empty field used as a prison, Kirk shoving an overloading phaser down into someone’s shirt, and I think I remember Kirk making sweet love to mirror Janeway.

Bones is still alive just old as gently caress, Scotty was trapped in a transporter loop, and Spock is Vulcan so ages slow, so they all get to meet up again to take on evil Kirk. Good Kirk’s hands are melted off and he gets new ones. Oh and the love of his life dies (she had to stay at the helm so everyone else could have time to transport off) but before she died they have a baby that is Romulan/Klingon/Kirk and it turns out he is the Progenitor race from The Chase.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

What's a Perd?

I have not seen this episode yet but I hope to hell it is Perd Hapley, the reporter from Parks and Rec.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

They should have left Isaac there a couple more cycles to record and report back the next 1000 years of technological advancements.

Might help with the war against the Krill.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I genuinely liked the Lost in Space movie with Joey in it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Astroman posted:

You know, after that happened, I bet the Trill got awfully nervous.

"Whoa whoa, don't go thinking we're like these guys, we're totally different heh heh."

*Phaser blasts Jadzia’s head until it explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Alara's mom looked familiar too, looked her up on IMDB and she was a Vorta on DS9. I recognized her from Herman’s Head but still nice that most of this episode are Trek alumni.