Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

I've been saying for years if they ever brought Trek back to TV, this guy should be involved somehow. I hope his show is good because Discovery looks weak as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Norm in Space? gently caress man that's all anybody had to say

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

I hope (and expect) that both this show and Discovery will have at least one "this is why being a fascist or an apologist for fascism is bad and wrong" episode because evidently not enough fuckwit nerds got the message from all the other shows

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

mycomancy posted:

Wait wait wait. You're telling me Star Trek: First Contact is gonna be 21 years old this November?

I was 9 years old and it was the last time I can remember genuinely enjoying a movie in a theater. gently caress's sakes.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

He's a lovely director and all his space movies suck

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Even if this show and STD are both poo poo it doesn't matter since The Expanse exists

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The Expanse isn't optimistic sci fi, it's gritty and dark.

It's gritty but I wouldn't call it dark; there's hopefulness and social commentary baked into the setting. It's not utopian at all but it's definitely the best space opera on TV, and miles ahead of other current genre shows

I mean Star Trek it's not, but my point was basically that it's no longer 1987 and we got options

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

I'm hesitant to call The Expanse an anti-Star Trek because a lot of the show is about a small group of people or individuals trying to their best to fight or stop or at least improve that nasty rear end poo poo that makes the world they live in so crappy for most people. Something like Lexx, which was just a bunch of horny fuckers trying to get laid while casually blowing up planets is probably more of an anti-Star Trek.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

I don't watch GoT so I can't speak to your comparison but I didn't say The Expanse was explicitly about hope and optimism, I just tried to point out that it isn't really an anti-Trek.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

I'm still at least a little interested to see this because it looks like the people involved want to make the kind of show I'd like to watch, as opposed to making halfassed appeals to my nostalgia for another brand in an attempt to get me to pay for something that looks aggressively mediocre

Regardless of quality this show will probably get canned after a few episodes and some timeslot shifting and STD will last for like two seasons because of the netflix money

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

A racist robot? lmao

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, this is literally just Star Trek with different names.

I think in some cases he just replaced some of the names with other things from Star Trek (Selya is a place on Vulcan)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

This is just TNG with dick jokes, that's not bad

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

It felt like the Krill warship at the end was supposed to be a Romulan warbird, what with the empty space between the hulls

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

I have a visceral, irrational hatred of televised sporting events because of years of this kind of poo poo that I don't know if I'll ever be able to shake

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

I'm dumb, I forgot I'm in Canada and it's half over on one of our stations

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

After two episodes I think this show does "light space opera with some jokes" better than Stargate did; I demand at least 3 seasons.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

The dudes who played Sinclair and Garibaldi are both dead

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Ok this show is cool and good now. Like, I don't need a new Star Trek to hit all the same exact notes as the old stuff when it was great but it sure was nice to have it back anyway

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

The Orville is a nostalgic, pleasant surprise whereas Discovery is (so far) dour and joyless, but I don't think if you dislike one you'll automatically be into the other.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Spark That Bled posted:

I've been reading up on this show, and I don't see anything progressive about it. I don't know how else to break it to you.

Show us on the doll where the Family Guy touched you

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Spark That Bled posted:

Actually, I was here because I didn't like all of the making GBS threads on Discovery, but I'm probably not going to change any of your minds about that, am I?

I don't know why that would make you come here and try to poo poo on *this* show, especially when you haven't seen it. Somebody who doesn't like STD isn't automatically going to love The Orville and I don't know why you'd think that unless you have some preconceived notions about what people like, dislike or expect from either show.

For what it's worth, most of the "making GBS threads" I've seen in that thread has been on anybody who wasn't impressed by STD for any reason. And if somebody doesn't like a Star Trek, what's that to you?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Yeah so finally saw this week's episode and it was a lot of fun. Great music, story, guest stars. gently caress me this hits the spot.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

eyebeem posted:

I'm sure Seth thinks DS9 was too dark, but I'd love for an Odo reference with the Norm Blob. Show him sleeping in a bucket.

Nah, I've seen them do DS9 gags in Family Guy before. I think they even had Nana Visitor do a few voices?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

I actually really liked the cocktail lounge thing from the last episode, that's the first time this show sold me on a truly comfortable space on the ship.

I don't really feel it's fair to compare the look of STD to Orville since they're both trying to evoke different things, but aside from the fonts and a few of the colour choices STD makes me wince to look at it. Sure, it looks expensive but that should mean gently caress all, really.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

What the gently caress are you people doing in this thread? Learning from your mistakes and becoming better people?! What the hell?

e: to clarify, everything about this show even the discussion around it warms my heart. According to CBS ideally you're supposed to be brooding about committing war crimes or something

Tighclops fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2017 around 17:40

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Arglebargle III posted:

Cerenkov radiation

This is why the Enterprise D's warp nacelles glow blue during the jump to warp

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Pixelante posted:

It's TNG with toilets, cup-holders, and weed. What's not to love?

Fuckin' A man

I like how they don't have transporters but they have a cloak

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

I can't believe this show got another season. I mean, I'm really really loving happy it did but I feel like I'm going to get hit by a bus on the way to work now because this happened

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I just saw the most recent episode and am not sure of my own opinion but think it's great that Star Trek is causing actual discussion about things like morality and humanity again.

Spock trying to punch Khan to death on a hovercar wasn't exactly thought provoking.

Yeah this show hits all the notes Star Trek used to hit, even the awkward sex stuff and the post show discussion of various real issues. Officially Branded Star Trek has been thoughtless trash for years and inspires little more than "well maybe it'll be better next season" and "why is the whole crew just assholes"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Fasdar posted:

Discovery is a bunch of high quality ingredients (good actors, sets, special effects) prepared poorly by people who didn't really think things through, and is loved in the same way that food at an over-priced restaurant is loved (i.e., by people with more money than taste). The Orville is what Gordon Ramsay puts together with ingredients from the average kitchen - amazing, and it really makes you think about the possibilities for wonder waiting inside the mundane.

I would argue that the sets and special effects in Discovery aren't even that impressive given the money and effort that apparently went into making them. I mean I know people were making GBS threads on the Orville's woodgrain paneling from ikea look, but at least they've got a style they're sticking to that's generally shot/edited competently. And the Krill actors can emote from under their makeup. gently caress me I've even caught myself humming The Orville's theme tune. Discovery? They've got solid actors but nobody's depicting characters you want to spend time with and get to know.

STD is a Trek show that's too busy trying to be something else to embrace it's heritage for longer than like, 20 second intervals. The Orville is not ashamed of itself.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Blue Rob Lowe's behavior made me uncomfortable and I feel like somebody should have told him wear some gloves at the end of the episode

This is my reaction to everything Rob Lowe is in though

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

That looked loving cool

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

haven't any of you fuckers heard of autoaim before gAWW

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

cheetah7071 posted:

I think there's three actual star trek threads--TVIV megathread, GBS megathread and disco thread. So this one is number four.

there are four threads

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

Babylon 5 is more worth one's time than new BSG was, in hindsight

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

This show loving kicks rear end, it's all been said

Where can I buy little models of the ships from it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

It's really good that people recognize the best parts of Trek are the bits with people quoting Shakespeare or something at each other over Skype because for real, that poo poo owns

That said classic, thoughtful starship design is also one of the reasons why Star Trek was cool and why all the modern video-gamey bullshit they came up with starting in the mid 90's looks increasingly lovely as time passes

e: The E-E looked great in First Contact because a) It was the final "hero" starship to get a full sized filming miniature and most of the shots of the ship in the film were made using that and b) it was painted up with the same pearlecent/white aztec hull plating as the TMP refit

Tighclops fucked around with this message at Dec 11, 2017 around 20:39

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

MisterBibs posted:

That was the original ending to Quantum Leap, no joke. Sam was missing (or something), and the Bartender/God from the last episode told Al that he can join Sam, but things would be different. The last scene makes it clear that Sam and Al are now leaping into the future, and both are going to be visible.

Sounds like the same rear end in a top hat god that ran the BSGverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

They're probably as surprised as I am that enough people watched to justify a second season and scrambled to put something out there

«2 »