Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Spark That Bled posted:

I've been reading up on this show, and I don't see anything progressive about it. I don't know how else to break it to you.

It is worth mentioning that the reviews for The Orville universally panned the show, despite very favorable audience reactions. Anyone who followed the review situation and watched the show is somewhat baffled by how the reviewers came to their lovely conclusions.

If all you have to go on for The Orville is online reviews, you're going to get a vision of the show that isn't exactly based in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

I really like how they made Skyler have the big rear end zit on her forehead throughout the episode.

Not only is she an Ex, she also has poor hygiene!

McFarlane is a class act all the way.

Dude, the actress has a mole. What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zoro posted:

To be frank, I came off this interested in learning more about the Krill. Like, how dark do they go? How much more hosed up does a culture that doesn't view any other form of life as worth keeping around go?

It makes me think of the mongols, actually. Everything in the universe belongs to them, yet these pests have the temerity to build a colony? Whelp, we've got a solution for that.

Good episode. Again.

graham cracker posted:

Well, if the Krill didn't know where Earth was before, they crew just taught a kid where it was and then spared his life and are sending him back to his home planet, so, they do now.

They probably did already though.

Assuming that the pilot wasn't just pointing to a random star, which he would pretty much have to be. It isn't like he showed him a star map for a few minutes, he pointed out a window. The kid would have to know the orientation of the ship relative to some fixed point (even though they were travelling) be able to return to that point, and then remember exactly which star they were pointing to.

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 13, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Well /a/ prisoner. The rest weren't going to be very useful / sent back immediately.

Also I really hope the book wasn't flash fried.

But yeah, getting a working warship, tons of intel and a living prisoner is probably a top achievement given how most Krill seem to get dead in fights they lose. Also stopping a bombing.

I feel like they are going to have to have an episode where it looks like he is going to get promoted off the ship.

So far the Orville's krill count is what, four ships that heavily out gun them?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tighclops posted:

What the gently caress are you people doing in this thread? Learning from your mistakes and becoming better people?! What the hell?

e: to clarify, everything about this show even the discussion around it warms my heart. According to CBS ideally you're supposed to be brooding about committing war crimes or something

And debating the morality of nippleclamping a bug for interstellar travel.

Caros
May 14, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I'm kinda playing Devil's Advocate a bit, obviously I'm not condoning child murder, but it's a pretty interesting ethical question. If you can be effectively 100% sure that they're going to become your enemy, why not just deal with it now?

Obviously, Mercer made the right call because no one can ever be 100% sure of something like that, but also he had an emotional attachment to the concept of "but they're kids!" Interesting how that didn't stop him from killing the entire rest of the crew, even knowing that many of them were mothers and fathers and had children of their own.

It'll be cool to see how the Krill arc plays out, I assume it's going to be revisited in the future.

Because even if they grow up to hate humans, they aren't guaranteed to go to war with you.

If your plan is to develop relations with the krill, then the was will be over before they are old enough to fight. Even if it isn't they might go on to undertake all manner of non-war related activities.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Eh, there's no reason for celsius to exist. If you're doing science, use Kelvin. If you're checking the temperature outside, use Fahrenheit.

Counterpoint, fahrenheit is dumb as poo poo and has been abandoned by basically every developed country because it is needlessly complicated and it's base measurements were based off stupid crap like a brine slurry of ice and salt.

Caros
May 14, 2008

just another posted:

I'm struggling to articulate this properly. Different definitions of consent are being proposed in this thread but I think the two big ones are reducible to a rational negotiation brokered between two monads, and an agreement premised on the assumption that both parties are perfectly transparent and forthcoming. I think both are extremely problematic and unworkable.

On the other hand, I'm happy to read that cultural relativism is no longer en vogue, at least among TVIV sci-fi nerds.

On another note, was there any indication that Derulio was seeking Mercer's attention? Did Mercer rape Derulio when he put Derulio in a (socially conditioned) position to be unable to decline sex?

Consent isn't hard. If someone would normally refuse to even consider the idea of tea, but wants to drink pot after pot of it solely because they have been exposed to a mind-altering substance that makes them crave tea, you should not serve them tea. They are not able to consent to having tea.

Also, I'm fine with cultural relativism in general. The issue in this context is that Derulio is doing his thing on a Union ship. They refused to 'fix' the baby girl because she was their responsibility, so it actually feels weird that they shrug off rapey Rob Lowe without a thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Nii5w2FaI

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bortus is my goddamn hero. The delivery is perfect, but the shrug is what sells the line.

And the loving powdered wig!

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › The TV IV › The Orville: Regardless, it is crushed.

Mods. If ever you have heard my prayers.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

The only character to wear a long gauzy skirt and a worried oversize sweater instead of a uniform

Bortus?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

In some of the Star Trek novels (I'm not sure if they are considered canon) the latest Federation flagship has holo-emitters in every room and corridor so that most of the crew is holographic a la The Doctor. That could get interesting.

Yeah... I see that ending really, really poorly.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So the people on the dimension hopping planet are kind of hosed, aren't they? I mean, supposedly they have their own version of the union that has expanded to cover hundreds of planets, but only their homeworld actually travels between universes. The show didn't make it clear how long the planet spent on the orville side of it's orbit, but it was at least an hour(the repair time for the shuttle) and likely considerably more since they had to return to the ship, report to Mercer, who has to write a written report for the admiral before sending it.

If you assume one day, then they've been gone for sixty years. Even half that is an entire generation. Hope you didn't have friends or family off planet.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This is magnificent and I am adding it to my vocabulary where do I send the royalties?

Given the word choice? Probably Dan Harmon, actually.

Caros
May 14, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Based on a strictly cursory knowledge of SAG rules and Hollywood practices, it would be very unusual for someone only appearing in three episodes to get main cast billing. It's negotiable, so they might just have worked it out with her so the departure can be a surprise. That said:

Goddamn that was good. That's the best episode yet,

The twist came off beautifully. It started as "this guy is a little OCD about a dirty ladle" to "wait, by hand ? Is this some pyscho mind control dude ?" to "oh gently caress he's got a gun, that may be worse" to "yes, it's worse". What a ride from a pretty nice family drama to oh gently caress, they've got the garden shears.

I think we'll get Alara back. If nothing else, after six episodes of dude eating at his console, both Ed and Kelly will be begging her to come back.

There are set photos of a new female security officer on an away mission, and they had a new hire (cannot remember the name) so chances are the joke replacement isn't staying.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Taear posted:

The black hole bit and the Mariana trench bit were both pretty bizzare all in all.
Why's the ship built to take so much pressure?

I'd have at least liked a throwaway line about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewu-zHH5Qwg

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Conversely, in Strange New Worlds it was shown that sometimes the universe is fully expecting those with the ability to change something to change something.

There once was a man who lived in a two story house.  The house was near a river and unfortunately the river began to flood. 

As the river rose, warnings were given via radio, TV and shortwave. Large jeeps drove through the area to evacuate people.  As a jeep drove by the man's house, he was told:

"You are in danger.  Your life is at stake.  You must evacuate.  Get in the Jeep.  Let us help you evacuate."

"No," the man replied from his doorstep.  "I have faith.  I will be ok.  The flood won't get me.  God will take care of me."

The water continued to rise.

Soon the man was on the second floor.  A boat was going through the area and arrived at the man's house. Rescuers made every effort to convince the man to take action so that his life would be saved.

"You are in danger.  Your life is at stake.  You will drown in the flood."

"No worries," says the man.  "I have faith.  Everything is ok.  Even though the flood is rising, I will be fine.  God will take care of me."

The flood continued to rise.

The man went to the roof to avoid the rising water.  A helicopter pilot sees him on top of the roof and hovers above the man.  Using a megaphone, the pilot tries to convince the man to grab the rope ladder which was dangling above his head.

"You are in danger.  The flood is still rising.  You will drown if you do not grab the rope ladder.  Let us help you."

"No worries."  says the man.  "I will be fine.  Yes, the flood is higher but I have faith.  God will take care of me."

The flood rises.  The man drowns.

At the pearly gates, the man says to God:  "I had faith.  You let me die."

To which God replies: "I sent you a jeep, a boat and a helicopter.  What more could I have done for you?"

Sometimes the universe gives spontaneous remission, but thst doesn't mean you should ditch chemo.

Caros
May 14, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

I think the thing with Lower Decks is that the humor is rapid fire and it comes across in a way that feels rewarding to a Trek viewer by giving you a chuckle for catching a joke about a specific episode from any of the series or one of the movies. The gags are silly inside jokes that aren't necessarily amusing to just the people who manage to catch the reference. They're also short enough episodes that nothing feels incredibly long and you can burn through them in a heartbeat.

While the really long episode of Orville I just watched had 90% of its humor in gender power reversal and how hosed up LaMarr would gradually get whenever him and Talla banged. The rest was just sad feels.

The Orville is what happens when the studio makes you submit two or three scripts on keeping with your 'funny star trek' pitch and then goes off to do cocaine and you promptly drop the pretense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One of my favorites is "I see the clown." Peter Macon's delivery is amazing.

"Regardless, it is crushed."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYg_l0sp_9c