Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

^I thiiink he's referring to how the episode was completely different from the previous two. Crazy poo poo in space followed by an introspective episode set on Earth. The follow up in another show would've been post-battle thing or politics or whatever but TNG went a completely different route (which owned, ofc).

Jeb! Repetition posted:

His heart is so completely in the right place about everything that it's gonna be devastating when the show sucks.

It could easily suck bad for sure but at least that would put it on par with Star Trek

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

As long as he does it on the holodeck :colbert:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

This show is gonna be good because Cosmos is amazing and he had a huge hand in that. I Believe.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm gonna be optimistic despite all these facts in the spirit of the show

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I hope there's lots of musical bits because those are actually great. :c00lbert:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

raditts posted:

The third act mostly which consisted of bad guy crashing ship into federation city, which apparently has no defenses and was taken completely by surprise, then bad guy walks away from ship wreck unharmed and it's up to Kirk to chase him down and defeat him with the power of the Beastie Boys before he can achieve his master plan of blowing up the city because blah blah who cares.

Repetitive plots is actually a genius homage to TOS

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The Orville takes place inside Roger's rear end in a top hat which actually turns out to be string theory when Peter pulls a long thread out of Brian,s rear end in a top hat.

There I spoiled it for all of you

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I figure if I can survive the worst of TOS then this will look like loving Shakespeare to me

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The Expanse is about a universe where we have exactly the same problems except in space. It is not utopian in the slightest.

It's a loving great show.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

If all my regular problems were just in space that would be pretty utopian for me.

No, I mean corruption, corporate greed, selfishness, vendettas, nationalism, etc. Life is not cherished unless its your own faction (barely). MAD is the only thing keeping the peace.

It's the anti-Star Trek.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I think the Expanse avoids that cynical extreme. The books especially show pretty idyllic attitudes towards sex/gender/non-standard relationships, for instance. All of that stuff is explored and fine in the future. But people are still people and capitalism is still capitalism (even if it's a given that everyone's in a union, and no one on Earth has to pay for housing and healthcare), and there are still deep divides between people and individual greed that leads to horrible tragedies.

It's not the anti-Star Trek. It's not exploring a pessimistic extreme in contrast to an optimistic ideal. It's just kind of grinding along, with some things improving but people continuing to be people. I think it's going to ultimately be optimistic- it's about people trying to make a difference in a lovely world- but the books are pretty drat dark so far.

I crossed off the stuff that is not in the TV show. It looks a lot bleaker, doesn't it? Books don't count.

There is pretty much 0 evidence of the common people enjoying anything. Even on Mars, where many people are well off (arguably we saw mostly rich people tho), is a straight up military dictatorship. One of the main events in the series is genocide for which nobody gets punished!

e: last edit, Expanse has one of the best spaceship fights to ever exist. It rules.

Anyway this is really off topic. Orville is gonna be the opposite of this for sure.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 7, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

"Game of Thrones is a show about hope and optimism because Jon Snow fights evil" is your argument

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Let's settle this. The Anti-Trek is STD because it's gonna be so bad we will wish for WW3

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Eugenics War / WW3 would be a loving amazing TV series. I feel like there's potential to treat it like DS9 (versus like TOS or TNG). Correct me if I'm wrong but humans are still actively researching spaceflight despite all this so that would be a cool way to center it on technology and hope without making it the most depressing series ever.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nah I don't do dat. If it's on Netflix or Amazon I'll check it out

It's on Prime, that's how I watched it!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I don't understand why anything has ever been written since the first time a bad writer wrote a bad thing. How could a story possibly be good after that? :iiam:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Just watched it on Hulu. I really liked it. The jokes aren't really the laugh out loud kind but the special effects, music, and believable characters are great. I don't mind the dick jokes but less is definitely more. It would be cool if the show got smarter about it. I want to give it a chance to see how they use the other characters.

I laughed at "Happy Arbor Day"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm kinda mad at racist robot because I thought I was SO clever when I came up with a smug "gently caress biology" robot society in my sci fi Fate campaign.

e: machines one upping organics yet again..

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

vermin posted:

"Aren't your species incredibly racist?"

That's a really natural thing to say and a subtle way of introducing a character trait

I wish everybody asked that of every Vulcan in every Trek episode ever

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

A) so robot doesn't steal tech or actual strategy

B) probably because she's just out of academy, nobody is that good.

C) there will probably be some actual in-universe reason that is depressing and hilarious

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

BexGu posted:

The Security Officer flat out says that she (and her species in general) are fast tracked since not a lot of them join up so she might be on The Orville just to minimize any damage while learning the ropes of the job.

She's young so I assumed that meant fast tracked through academy. I don't imagine they'd station her on the best poo poo ever even if she graduated quickly. Quite a comment on Wesley, actually. ;)

I could be completely wrong but I enjoy speculating

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 13, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

CPColin posted:

And football still, haha.

The competition will be a lot easier regardless. It's Thursday football.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I really liked this episode a lot more than the first one. Humans making references that aliens didn't understand was a nice touch. I was also totally okay with their choices because I can see the megacorps living beyond the heat death of the universe.

bagrada posted:

Where's the robot's medal? He carried the day, and he's just politely clapping in the audience as she gets hers. I hope that comes up when he inevitably betrays the ship. They couldn't have done poo poo without his hologram and diplomacy.

I feel like he'd take it as an insult.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Do you guys really think any of these pop culture things will actually fade away now that we have endleas ways to store and use data? It makes perfect sense to me.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

^that was great too

I also liked Bortus basically said "gently caress off" so he could stay with his baby, no argument or internal debate required. Family first, mission second. Does this count as foreshadowing?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

feedmegin posted:

I mean, we have plenty of pop culture going back to the 18th century or so at least; some of it becomes 'classic' (see e.g. Charles Dickens), most of it disappears as tastes and mores change. We aren't still reading penny dreadfuls from the Victorian era. Nor are we watching minstrel shows.

Books aren't the same as watching media, especially with respect to longterm preservation, so I don't agree with your argument (I am assuming humanity suffered some kind of catastrophe before becoming space bound). But it makes sense in Orville no matter how we wanna debate it: where the elite Picard is into wine, earl grey, books, and water polo, the B Team settles for tequila, weed, and stupid media. It's fitting :allears:

e: if I was living in a post-scarcity world, I would be a huge piece of poo poo

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 19, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The Bloop posted:

You've made this so easy it isn't worth it

Well by normal human standards I am a massive poo poo right now but for my own baseline I am actually a gentle and nice angel at the moment

Azhais posted:

^^ to be fair they weren't using stupid media themselves, she did mention that she was directed to an "obscure of the media archives" if I'm remembering correctly.

She was directed there by the pilot guy so I feel like he actually watches that poo poo

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 19, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What I really want to see though is the aliens using references that the humans don't get, even if it only happens a few times.

This would be amazing

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

So you are afraid of ponies? That's all I can really take from that. Bronies = trekkies, same poo poo different uniform. In fact, TNG:Orville::Bronies:Tekkies

Chew on that you puss

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Tonight's game is pure garbage so I have faith in the ratings

Arglebargle III posted:

Monologues at u

My one weakness..how did you know.......

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Honestly if there isn't a single reference to Roger this show is trash.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Eiba posted:

It's far from perfect. The humor really often fell flat. Being snarky to the security guards was the most tonally "wait, what" moment for me. And things could have stood to be a bit more fleshed out. The theocratic dictatorship just kind of shrugs and evaporates? They built up a really brutal dystopian society and kind of just handwaved the consequences of it.

I am not sure even Star Trek solved a society's problems at the end of every episode. Half the time it was "well good luck, we'll be on our way".The Orville is at least sending Union engineers to educate them so it's not like they're hosed.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Another thing that kind of struck me the wrong way was the helmsman going BOOM. They just killed a ship with presumably a full crew of sentient/sapient beings. Yeah they were justified in doing it but seems like it should've been a little sobering.

Hell no. Yelling BOOM rules

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

This show is great and it's awesome how the crew is getting hosed up as soon as their off duty and sometimes while

Been there done that

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Give me a break horseman, I skipped 54 pages

I like the decorative succulents, did anyone say that?

No, I meant I agree it was great because I can relate to them because I have done those things too

:glomp:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I heard a rumor he had to do three takes.

What, so he made 3 mirror universes for one episode?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, it's that we see Bortus eat glass and ceramics without harm, an act which would kill a human without prompt medical attention. Mercer and the pilot whose name I can't remember do much the same thing. They turn on bright UV lights, a hazard which is lethal to the aliens but only inconvenient to humans.

At the very least you have to see that the show is setting up this idea from the very beginning. It's a nice bit of writing to be able to turn a visual gag into a thematic through-line.

Whichever engineer was responsible for Designing the lighting system on that Krill ship is going to be in big trouble. Whatever reason prompted them to use a light source capable of putting out lethal radiation is going to look a lot less important in light of recent events.

Still catching up on the thread so this is from waaaaay back but: the Krill hate all other life, so maybe it's for sterilization. I think there was even a TNG episode where Picard had to escape survive a radiation beam that was sweeping the Enterprise while it was in drydock.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I think we have a new candidate for most bad rear end space doctor. Too bad she wasn't smoking a cigarette the whole time.

Grand Fromage posted:

When I taught at an elementary school in Korea there was blood literally every day. The kids would have fistfights during class. It was impossible to stop any of it.

I used to go to elementary school in Japan and the teachers just let fights go. The only time anyone ever got in trouble for it was if you wouldn't stop or my younger brother because he bit a kid's ear (I'm so proud :allears:).

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The fact that they are using the imperial system when they are so "enlightened" says it all. This show is a farce and now I must protest it because I cannot support an evil empire again, like I did when Star Trek tricked me into thinking the Federation are the good guys

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I can get behind that

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan is also a place where people think setting the AC to 29 C in summer is acceptable. It is not a nation of comfort and should not be trusted in such matters.

That's true, even in way back in WW2 all their ships were so hot they were always roasting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Gotta say this episode didn't capture my attention. I turned it off halfway through.

Why?

e: I'm not trying to argue, I am just curious.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 5, 2017