Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_Sgcxg5PQ

This series appears to have been Seth's wet dream since he was a kid, so I'm glad he's making the effort to have it kick rear end

I hope this gets reenacted in the show at some point. Same camera angles, and weird cuts, and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Donovan Trip posted:

Man the union is bad at vetting crew. A krill in disguise, a robot hiding guns in their head, it's a wonder they've made it this far.

One thing I do like about the Union is while they have Starfleet ideals, it's clear they are in this uphill battle with all the other species to prove that it's actually a good idea. So, it's not like this monolithic entity that has the support and resources of every people they meet. They seem to be understaffed and stretched thin. Not sure if this is a real thing or if they'll refer to that after the losses they just had.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Cockmaster posted:

To have any hope of surviving, the Union would pretty much have to focus all their top scientists and engineers on studying Kaylon technology and finding some weakness they could exploit.

There is the "use an EM field to at least temporarily disable all Kaylon on board" trick. Using literal nukes and their EMP side effect might actually be an option.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

It definitely seems like he read the pilot script and thought he was getting a cool role where he goofs around and hangs out with Malloy. Then they throw him down to the engine room and he's only on screen sometimes and no longer cares anymore.

The show definitely started with more humor in mind, and Lamarr was shown more often but usually in that capacity. Since the tone of the show as a whole has been pulling back from "we gotta get some jokes in!" they haven't really found the right way to handle the comic relief character. Hopefully they do cause I think the character could definitely be interesting. Maybe an episode where he messes up and someone die or get hurt, which would play into his desire to not excel or be responsible for things.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

One thing I like about Bortis is he kind of has the stoic warrior thing going on. You can see how his personality would arise. But while overall reserved the Moclins have a pretty wide range of personalities, kind of like how people are. Instead of having entire races all act the same. (Though the Klingons do rule and I don't want them to change)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

In the Star Trek Online MMORPG Science Captains can summon holographic ships to help in combat for about 60 seconds. Just three or four Galaxy class (or equivalent) ships popping out of nowhere firing phasers and launching torpedos that do real damage. With traits you can get the cooldown to 3 minutes, I think? No idea why they never tried that on the show. Well, I do know why. Because it's too powerful, but it's still fun to do in a video game.

Voyager had some holo-entity freedom fighters who "saved" The Doctor from his oppressors. They kind of showed that. They didn't do anything cool though like just morph the ship into better configurations based on the encounter though. So like a lot of Voyager a wasted opportunity.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I am hoping that Klyden FINALLY starts being less of a total poo poo heel suitable only for the divorce event. When he denied being sexist and then was directly told "no, you really are, you aren't even trying to interact with people, and you are hiding behind flawed tradition" he didn't rebut it instantly. Normally he'd have at least protested. So, I'm hoping that this will start some self reflection because holy poo poo he needs that or to die.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He already had a redemption arc in the nightclub scene by proving his dancing power

This, but actually. Just the episode or two before, Klyden was told he never associates with the crew, hiding in his room, hating women for being women. Later? Klyden agrees to go hang out with people at a party hosted by a woman. This isn't him being cured, because he's been too much of a bigot in the past two seasons, but it is a change and point of growth that will hopefully continue.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

If I'm remembering rightly, after they lost the first batch of producers/directors, the replacements were looking to change the direction of the show from light hearted parallel worlds to something more actiony especially with Sy-Fy shopping around then for more gritty themed effects heavy shows. Cast wasn't crazy about the idea, new producers were generally assholes so there was a lot of buildup before people started leaving. That they not only sacked Wade's actress but wrote her character off to a rape camp just shows how much assholishness was from the producers. It's just so much of a scorched earth gently caress you to the actress and character.

I liked the parallel world aspect of it since it was different than the usual sci-fi offerings. The poo poo with the Kromaggs was such dime a dozen 'fight an alien enemy' entry there were other shows doing that angle better to watch.

I'm curious about the reboot since I hear O'Connell's all for getting involved.

Funny or Die did a ton of KS parody vids released one week. O'Connell is pretty hilarious and the writing was spot on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtasHWLKWSM

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 14, 2019

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's a work in progress. With my nerdly friends, I've known most of them for over ten years or longer and they've barely changed from when I first met them even after they've started families of thier own.

I have friends I've known for almost 20, and we've all barely changed, but we started out as non-garbage humans. I hope you get some new friends, people that lousy probably drag you down just by being in your life.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

That reads as real as those "I made a bot watch 1000 hours of ________ and write a script"

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I think streaming is the new end of life goal these days as opposed to syndication

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Maera Sior posted:

Klyden is "the woman" in the relationship: effeminate in dialogue, body language, dress, etc. I really wish they would fix this, but everything about it is deliberate.

Klyden was born female and gender reassigned shortly after birth. So could be deliberate on that front, but I'm not really sure I totally agree with them being in the more traditionally female portrayal.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I was so worried about Klyden's portrayal for a while. But they do seem to be handling his bigotry with respect for the serious subject matter it is. Klyden has had these deep held beliefs his entire life, he won't just stop believing them the second he encounters evidence counter to them, but at the same time he hasn't been given up on and he has been visibly changing as a person, at a slow but appreciable pace.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Or "Snip Tool" there's a shortcut I think, but you can search it in the cortana dumb thing on Windows.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I like that he doesn't play his own character off like a Mary Sue. Mercer does lovely things and gets called out on it by everyone.

He also takes a back seat a lot too. Sometimes Mercer is barely around in an episode and it really just focuses on other characters. It does make the project seem a little less self indulgent (still *really* self indulgent).

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Reminder that this exists. It's an earned self-indulgence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnCS1RNBFE

I keep hoping they show a bit of that clip on the show as "When Mercer was young he was THIS kind of dork" and change the commbadge and the like.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Zurui posted:

IIRC they even lampshade this in the Barclay's Unhealthy Obsession With Voyager episode by showing that the crews didn't integrate and the ship is significantly damaged.

They did this a lot. Basically every time they showed an alternate version of Voyager, like the "Inaccurate Historical Account" episode and Year of Hell, they show what things could have been like and they were always much more interesting than what they would choose to give us. I was always sad that they never really chose to have a long serialized story about the return home and what they would gain and lose in the process.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I feel like several modern Trek writer's rooms would not know how to incorporate a writer who knew the show as well as MacFarlane does.

Some clearly have fans, I dislike some aspects of the humor but at least Lower Decks feels like it is written by people who saw an episode of star trek before.

The Picard writers at best come off like they glanced Memory Alpha

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It wasn't acting aggressive towards him and at that point he wasn't aware they had acted aggressively towards anyone else or that it was even a mutated crew member - he was no doubt aware it was almost certainly connected to the power disruption but that's about it.

Also given the events of the previous episode there's really good reasons why Isaac would be super hesitant to pop out the ol' noggin blasters while he was onboard unless he was super certain there was no other option

"Intriguing. The Captain forgot to inform me we would be taking on new crew members."

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Eiba posted:

The second episode was dark and featured totally disconnected ideas about creepy relationship issues with no real commentary

What a shock that a show run by Seth "elevate much younger actors I'm dating, then fire them after a break up" MacFarlane didn't delve further into abusive relationship dynamics.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

i am a moron posted:

James Gunn and Holland were together for years before the show/movies and Harcourt fuckin slaps

I also never questioned why Holland was in the show, she's a great actress. Had no idea she and Gunn were dating. Unfortunately, the women Seth elevates aren't as strong actors and makes the situation seem way more inappropriate. That and firing an ex. Maybe the navigator will come more into her own though, don't want to pre-judge too harshly.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Honestly, maybe I'm just misremembering, it's been a long time, I should have rewatched a few scenes before making that claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

If I had to guess, because there's been no confirmation of cancellation, that there's a slim chance it'll be renewed.

But like really slim. With the covid delays, a ton changed in the streaming landscape. It'd not surprise me if Hulu said "this might be your last season, plan appropriately" after production resumed. But the door might have been left open depending on reception.

Personally I think this is the last season. But the idlest of speculation.