Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FELD1 posted:

Also I'm curious about what was so bad about "One Million Ways to Die in the West." I thought it was really funny and entertaining, but I'd love to find out why I'm wrong.

You really wanna know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gd0ecZLw_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FELD1 posted:

This was actually very informative and exactly the answers I needed. Thank you. I don't normally watch youtube videos this long (especially when the subject matter is so negative), but this was even-handed and well-presented.

Yea I thought he did an amazing job explaining the flaws in the film, glad you enjoyed it! :)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

precision posted:

Like who was helming the ship at 3 AM.

Data, because he doesn't sleep.

precision posted:

Also isn't it true that getting drunk or high is illegal in the "utopian" federation? Would definitely explain the lack of jokes.

Absolutely not, the characters drink real alcohol all the loving time. Worf drinks bloodwine, there's Romulan Ale, and Scotty drinks the green poo poo from behind the bar.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

8one6 posted:

Romulan ale is like Cuban cigars. It's illegal because of an embargo. The episode of DS9 when Bashir goes to that medical conference on Voyager's set on Romulus they have some because the embargo was lifted.

And it's basically outright stated that everyone has been drinking it while it's been "illegal", except for the square rear end admiral who can't handle it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Picard playing noir detective seemed like fun at least.

Except when he does that, he's telling the computer to make it less exciting the whole time. Some dude comes in and draws a gun and he's like "Whoa there computer, slow down, dial back the cool poo poo by 50%"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tighclops posted:

Nah, I've seen them do DS9 gags in Family Guy before. I think they even had Nana Visitor do a few voices?

Not to mention he got Kassidy Yates to be a loving main character.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I highly doubt Tommy Wiseau was hired to direct an episode of network television.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

100% it will show up again to at least help them out in some tricky situation. They wouldn't have bothered going "OH HEY WE FOUND YOUR TRANSPORTER DEVICE, LOOK AT IT, HERE IT IS, HERE IT GOES NOW INTO MY DESK" if it was just going to vanish and never be seen again.

I agree though I don't want it to become the EMH portable holo-emitter. I'm fine with it coming back to help in some crisis when he remembers its still there and they maybe don't really know how to use it so it goes wrong or something, I just don't want to see it become a convenient every episode thing.

It'd be pretty funny if it had enough juice for like 3 or 4 uses before it needs to be recharged using a power source that won't be invented for centuries.

And Malloy ends up using like 2 of them on stupid poo poo. "I teleported down to the replicator to get a beer!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Everyone knew. All of them.

I remember Sarah Silverman almost explicitly calling him out once via a bit or a sketch or something and no one took it seriously.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Did Firefly have a strong opening with regard to ratings?

Pretty sure it was put on the Friday Night Death Slot, so no.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

If they had a vertical warp core they might have edged a little past parody.

:goonsay:

Uhh, they have Quantum Drive, not Warp Drive! Clearly it would be a Quantum Core!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Auberjonois

Bless you

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

E: Double post, dumb mouse

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Caufman posted:

Reflecting on the Orville = notSJW, one thing I remember from the pilot was that I found it not completely right that Ed outranked Kelly. The Admiralty was impressed with Kelly, not Ed, and she came up with the plan to use the tree to destroy the krill ship. But she's a full rank below him and serves under his command. I'm impressed with her character's love for her ex-cuckold, but in an SJW-approved Union, Kelly would have had her own command before Ed.

What in the gently caress is this post? Son, you done broke your brain with too much internet. Stop parsing everything as "SJW" or "notSJW" what in the gently caress is wrong with you?

loving amazing episode. I'm really loving this show.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Caufman posted:

It was a lovely situation, but I can't think of how I would choose differently.

But if the krill put children on their warships that they expect to engage in fighting, that is the most hosed up thing they do. Even with complete faith in a divine plan, you don't put your children at supreme risk like that.

Ironically, TNG's Enterprise does the exact same thing.

Tons of families with kids on that ship.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think the moral dilemma was played well, it's clearly an emotional decision on Mercer's part and arguably the wrong one.

Like, all Krill are evil in this universe, so those kids are just going to grow up to be evil Krill, the "pragmatic" move would be to wipe out as many as possible. But of course, the whole point of stealing their bible is to try to find a way to achieve peace, so we should have faith that these kids might end up being part of a more peaceful Krill in the future.

And of course, due to Mercer's actions, all he's done is ensure that these kids will end up being the Krill equivalent of Red Squad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FELD1 posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd really prefer Trek chat be limited to only subjects that relate directly to episodes of Orville. This page is just 90% Trek talk, and is a few too many steps away from the subject of the thread. Aren't there other places you could talk about this stuff?

I mean, it's going to come up constantly, if it really bothers you, just skip those posts or wait until a new episode airs, when the bulk of the discussion will be primarily about The Orville.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

That's pretty deterministic and one-sided. You're taking the Krill teacher's word for it, but at least the one kid was really curious and seemed reachable. I could easily see him being devastated but also confused about why this (so he's been told) evil alien spared him and the other kids. He seemed what, maybe equivalent of about 10 years old for a human, certainly old enough to be able to reflect and ponder these things. It's not at all a given.

I'm kinda playing Devil's Advocate a bit, obviously I'm not condoning child murder, but it's a pretty interesting ethical question. If you can be effectively 100% sure that they're going to become your enemy, why not just deal with it now?

Obviously, Mercer made the right call because no one can ever be 100% sure of something like that, but also he had an emotional attachment to the concept of "but they're kids!" Interesting how that didn't stop him from killing the entire rest of the crew, even knowing that many of them were mothers and fathers and had children of their own.

It'll be cool to see how the Krill arc plays out, I assume it's going to be revisited in the future.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Seth's ex is growing on me because she's the most normal of all the characters

Minus that part where she got into a fist fight on the bridge because she was jealous of Pria having sex with her ex.

To me, LaMarr is the most normal. I love that when they blew up that one Krill ship he was all "BOOM!"

It's nice to see people in this setting react like humans and not weird emotionless drones like the Enterprise bridge crew.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So what does physically hurting Pria at that point accomplish other than soothing her own rage, a significant chunk of which was motivated by jealousy?

Pria wasn't a threat to the ship anymore, and the chief of security was right there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

Does it need to accomplish anything else? She's a human being, not a robot. Humans do stupid poo poo out of anger, even highly qualified XOs. This time traveller lied to everybody, seduced the Captain, and was planning to steal and sell their ship then dump them in the future.
gently caress that lady!

Physically beating the poo poo out of someone who isn't a threat to you isn't "normal" which was the point I was responding to when I started this whole thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

You must know a better class of human than I do. I'm related to people who would totally do what she did.

I'm thinking of that line from Fight Club when Pitt asks Norton if he's ever been in a fight and Norton says "No, but that's a good thing."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

To be fair to the show, the ship's drive is actually powered by the creature's sexual arousal. The clamps make sense in the context of the plot. :shrug:

Are you loving serious?

Like, this isn't a weird irony joke or anything, this is actually true? What in the gently caress?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Funny how suspension of disbelief works, isn't it?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

swickles posted:

This story doesn't really track for me. Like what doctor looks at a hosed up nose and just assumes its a condition they never heard of. Like someone would have been like, what the gently caress is up with your nose at the very least, mainly because after establishing why you are an ER, the very next thing asked is "do you have any other medical conditions?" And if she answered "no" the appropriate follow up is "what the gently caress is up with your nose then?"

You haven't met many ER doctors, have you?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yaws posted:

This show sucks.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The next few ones are even better, I'd say it's gotten better with every episode.

E:: VVV You summed up my feelings on it perfectly. It just feels so nice and comforting to have an optimistic light hearted sci fi show on TV again.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 21, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

precision posted:

TNG has tons of episodes that are far more silly than anything in this show, like Beverley loving a ghost dildo

Or that one where the entire crew de-evolves (because that's how DNA works) and even though Barclay is human, he doesn't turn into an ape like Riker, he turns into a spider.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

Can you imagine how insanely loving difficult it must be to be a doctor in the future? All the auto-healing bays and limb printers are just to compensate for the fact that you need to remember 50+ different anatomies and limbic systems now. Organs you never even heard of and will probably never have to work on, but you need to know their name, what race they go into, and what ventricle to attach where. And then there's jellyfish people...

On the other hand, you can just ask the computer pretty much anything and it'll know the answer, so how much of that do you have to keep memorized?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You also have to imagine that doctors are only dealing with really tough cases, because for your average flu you could just go "Computer, prepare one flu treatment at my replicator" and fix it yourself. Preventative care would be extremely easy too, so I imagine most doctors are either doing common scans/tests or extreme alien surgery, with very little in-between.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Alright, I had my first really good laugh at this one, when Mercer says they need pretzels and water and tells Bortus to make a note to have them next time and Bortus just goes "Noted, Captain, I will not fail you" with all the seriousness of a Moktok warrior.

E: this guy gets it:

"Noted, Captain. I will not fail you." loving slays me.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 27, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

moldovan scullery posted:

I was actually expecting the moment to come where he'd get fed up with following his lovely public relations officer's advice and win the crowd over with his realness

I was expecting this too, that he was gonna snap, tell the whole story about how he's a spaceman from a spaceship and the crowd would eat it up as "He's so creative!" and he'd save himself that way.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think the episode needed to show the perks of having upvotes, kind of like the Black Mirror episode did. Show the upper class living that's only accessible to people with over 1 million upvotes, or better yet, show someone who gets away without being corrected for having over 10 million downvotes because they have 100 million upvotes (like the example someone said of a famous artist who had a bad album).

Also, I think if you're posting here going "Wow, it's just like our modern world!!" then you need to take social media waaaaaaay less seriously. Yes, China has that system or whatever, but here in America nothing actually matters if you get downvoted online.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

That's like saying "the Occupation aspects of DS9 are not about imperialism/colonization because real-life European conquerors didn't have warp drives and didn't force the subjugated peoples to build space ships for them".

I'm not saying it wasn't "about" social media, because of course it was, but a few people here are like "OMG it blew my mind, we ARE too obsessed with upvoting/downvoting" and it's just embarrassing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I would love for them to have an episode where they develop a prototype transporter, test it, and the person who comes out of it goes "I am a new person, the old me is dead and I can totally tell the difference" and finally put to bed the whole
"Does the transporter kill you?" debate.

Then no one uses it ever again because no one wants to die.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The jokes are a lot better when they're character based, like Bortus' one liners this episode, and not just pop culture references awkwardly shoehorned in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I like to imagine that lady was the protagonist from the Black Mirror episode.

The Black Mirror version was much more kind, that trucker lady could still hold down a job and make a living despite having a low rear end rating, and the protagonist didn't get brainwashed just for being downvoted a bunch.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think y'all are giving the show the benefit of the doubt on the whole "Ed's jokes are supposed to be bad" and if you asked the writers or McFarlane himself, they'd say that they think they're good jokes that they thought would get a laugh.

We're talking about network TV here, the bar is pretty low here when it comes to humor.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Seth MacFarlane is probably the one person who can actually tell FOX "just give it time to build an audience" and they might actually listen to him thanks to what happened with Family Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I loved the "space is mostly empty" line and also the soy sauce damage report.

:same:

This was a great episode, seeing Isaac use Dr. Finn's words towards her kids was hysterical. And it was great that her kids behaved like real kids and not weird little emotionless perfectly behaved robots like most kids shown in TNG.

E: VVV Hell, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I teared up too.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 3, 2017