Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I found myself liking it more and more as it went on. By the time they were escaping the station I was definitely enjoying it. I think with time it could end up being good, really wanna see the cast fleshed out since a few of them come off a bit like caricatures so far.

I'll stick with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

So they've released a couple of scenes from the next ep. One is some so-so Seth riffing, and the other is this really good character moment for Alara and Bortus. I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5tmI1r-vM

Alara is shaping up to be my favorite character

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That episode was great. I'm really into this now. Still a few real stinkers as far as jokes went but I had quite a few more good laughs and am starting to get attached to several of the characters.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright we're just divin right in here we go

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So far my biggest problem with it is that I feel like I don't know Bortus well enough for this to work as well as it should.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MillennialVulcan posted:

It feels like it's being sensitive but I'm not trans. Also it feels like the situation is inverted in such a way that it's completely unrelated to an adult who wants to transition?

This is really more relevant to the practice of doing surgery on babies who were born intersex imo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol the rudolph thing was worth it for lines like that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why do they have Candyland, this is now the most pressing mystery

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haha nice

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh poo poo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ohhhhhhhh

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yup saw that one coming

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Davros1 posted:

They should have still had the crushed gavel at the bench

I was so disappointed

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pakled posted:

poo poo, the Fox stream cut off after "What's important now is To'Pah." What happened after that?

It was kinda nice, Bortus said "We must make sure he has a good life, whoever he chooses to become" and laid a Rudolf doll in the crib.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mostly agree with the thread's sentiment. They handled the issues involved well and the episode was thoughtful and ended depressingly realistically. My only real complaint was that I still wish it was later in the season. It feels like a weird choice for Bortus's first focused episode when we barely know anything about him.

I could be wrong though, maybe what they wanted to do with his character made it essential to establish this first.

Regardless the extreme negativity from the reviewers just seems ridiculous. I'm feeling quite good about this show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

I don't think they could have saved this until we knew Bortus better. I think the show needed to do something like this to get attention, if that makes sense. It needed to take a big risk and show that it can handle this kind of episode. I want to watch it more now than I did after the second episode, and way more than the pilot.

That's fair! I still liked the second episode better, but it's not like this turned me off the show so I'm all in.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

The main dad's decision not to change his daughter should have been the crux of the entire show, and yet it is totally undermined by him out of nowhere completely 180 changing his firmly held belief because he watched Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. And for that matter, why did two characters who the dad had no previously shown cameraderie with turn up (at a time when the entire ship - including the two interlopers - were disgusted with his morals) with brewskies and a DVD of a children's cartoon anyway? It was one of the worst contrivencies I've ever seen.

I only wanna address this point because it feels like you missed the whole idea here. It's supposed to be silly. You've got these two goofy idiots who see the situation and think of a children's movie that has a passing relevance to the situation and think it's a fuckin brilliant idea to try and convince Bortus using it. The fact that it actually works is supposed to be absurd and amusing. This dude having a major life changing revelation because of Rudolph the Red Nosed loving Reindeer is just great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrPlump posted:

I think it comes back around perfectly at the end the part where he gives his child the reindeer is super sad.

Yep absolutely. At least for me that managed to take something deliberately silly and turn it into a poignant moment that landed effectively.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

Do you remember the redwood seeds? And how they will grow in anything? And how his dad mentions things getting stuck in the folds of his intestines? And how he was totally encouraged to eat said redwood seeds? Yeah, he has sprouted a redwood.

:worship:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have no opinion on whether or not The Orville is "clowning" on Discovery or not because I don't really care about that. I know that after 3 and 1 episodes respectively, The Orville is the show that appeals to me more. However were it not for Discovery's obnoxious limits on its availability I'd be watching it to see where it goes too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's very important to establish everywhere precisely which clique you belong to so that no one has any doubts about whether you like or hate things sufficiently

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Like I said, they weren't really jokes. Just wow, how kooky is it that these two male klingon dudes are arguing about their child and how sensitive they are to each other.

Or maybe I'm giving the show too much credit that it thought it was funny. Maybe they just wanted to talk about trans people for an hour in a really ham-fisted way, with no humor at all? Bold move.

I think this is actually the dumbest post this thread has seen about this episode.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hm that's an interesting choice, computer

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

As it zoomed out I was positive it was gonna be shaped like something funny

Japed again

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Wait, you're kidding me, is it happening? i wish I could watch right now.

Just a clip from Sound of Music

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is cool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is that good star trek content I come here for

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

What in fucks name were the critics smoking when they wrote the negative reviews? This owns.

Well they didn't see this episode

Not that I think the other ones warranted it either but this one is really great

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't understand, you need to do more than just stick a thing on someone's neck to heal them?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BOOM BITCH

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This was your first attempt??? drat dudes... nice

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I mean that was just like... perfect. That's what I want this show to be. Good poo poo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I was actually half expecting the nerve serum to not work on her since she's human and not their species. I was hoping she was just acting at first and was going to say "just kidding, that didn't do anything."

I was really hoping for this too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This was originally the second episode

Yeah you can tell they snipped the opening scene with Bortus and Baby for some continuity and then the rest was just the original second episode which is why a few little things seemed off.

Hopefully they don't keep doing that because even though this is an episodic show there is still some consistency.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Wait, what? You can clearly see the baby crib and the baby in this episode. How can this be the second episode?

They cut that out from a later ep and put it as the opening scene

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Wtf? That seems like an completely insane amount of work for such a minuscule change. Where did they cut that scene from? When Bortus comes to the bridge, they are talking about him being way too early and try to talk about his marriage trouble. So, there was a different scene of them fighting in that episode before, one without the baby in it? :psyduck:

Beats me, I'm just deducing from the facts we know man

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gynovore posted:

Imagine if, in TNG, Ensign Schmuckface was nervous before his first ever shift on the bridge and took a shot of Scotch to calm his nerves. We all know what would happen; two minutes later, the ship would be attacked by a giant Space Otter, and the ensign would react too slowly, and the ship would be hit and someone important would be injured, and Data would access the replicator records and find out he was drinking, and Picard would give him a lecture that would last from one commercial to the next, and he would vow to become a better person, hugs all around, and that's the whole episode, except for the B-plot where Data tries out a mullet.

drat I just got swept away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I would agree.