Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
This was ok and has potential, but i don't know if it really is ok and has potential or if it's just because i'm so starved for good Trek that i'll that anything.

Some jokes are good, some jokes are bad, some jokes are good but then they completely kill the humor by lampshading so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Like I said, they weren't really jokes. Just wow, how kooky is it that these two male klingon dudes are arguing about their child and how sensitive they are to each other.

Stop projecting? That scene is meant to be completely serious.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Acting like trans people are "tricking" people into believing a lie is a very pervasive prejudice.

The Moclans have a toxic culture that justifies wiping out women. They are portrayed as the villains of the episode. Why then do you think Bortus calling out his partner was shown as a good thing?

The post above mine is also a completely valid interpretation.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 28, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

And it ends with them... doing it anyways, even though the humans were outraged the whole time and they gave the big speech about how women matter and the Moklan bible was written by a woman. Which is great in a south park "gently caress the moral of the story" way I guess, like lots of goons cheered, but I dunno you've gotta kinda have some "gently caress political correctness" attitude to really get off on that, and there's too many lovely portrayals of LGBT people right now, sorry but you don't really need that.

Nobody is getting off on that.

Throughout the episode, the human point of view, that women are equal to men and that sex/gender should not be imposed on anyone is painted as the right one and that is good!
But the ending was also very fitting. This one crew, despite their best efforts, could not change the entirety of Moclan culture after one trial. But they have contributed and set a precedent. I know there are dozens of Star Trek episodes where our heroes illuminate the barbaric aliens, but sometimes it's not that easy.

Zaphod42 posted:

And the whole tough girl boxes guy to show girls can be tough... its all just like really old fashioned and out of touch.

This i completely agree with, everything involving Alara in this episode was cringe-worthy. Not only was the approach out of touch, but using an alien proves nothing anyway. It's like making a point about human biology using a squirrel.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 28, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

I do like how the lawyer guy brought up how dumb the Alara comparison was, her super strength is something her whole species has it really smelt of the whole "a woman who can punch hard like a boy = feminist"

Kurieg posted:

I edited it into my post above but I think that this was an attempted lampshade on the fact that they had Dax fight more than a few Klingons in her day to prove that she's just as macho as them. And the fact that trying to beat gender equality into someone in the real world is an incredibly misguided idea.

This might be it, but it requires Seth and co to be completely self aware about what they're writing, which i'm still not convinced of. Who knows, i could very well be in the wrong.

Also, i think it is better that the good guys didn't win in this episode, because fighting racism/sexism/genderism is hard work that takes decades, centuries. Doesn't matter that you're 100% factually right, some people will still double down on their bigotry because it is just too entrenched.. It would be too simplistic if the person with almost zero experience with law practice and the poet succeeded and i like that this episode was above that. To bring a Trek example: Quark never stopped being mysoginistic even after seven seasons of living with hyu-mons and his mom directing sweeping changes on his home planet.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I did say explicitly that I did not find it funny, but I also don't see MacFarlane doing 2 episodes of comedy and then suddenly going "okay, next episode, no humor, we're just gonna get serious"

He hasn't stopped making comedies at all. That episode was full of jokes. But it's not going to be 100% comedy all the time, this is something Seth MacFarlaned explicity stated in his interviews.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Isaac is kinda grating to me at the moment because he is basically a simpler version of Data. "i'm a robot who doesn't understand idioms" is his whole character at the moment and we haven't seen any of the legendary racism of his species. I hope he becomes better after his own episode.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I'm not saying he has to be racist or follow that line from the pilot, i just hope his character goes in some unique direction soon. Because right now he is Data and that's just boring for a new show.

These suggestions are good examples of what i wish for, by the way

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah the voice makes it obvious he's a riff on Data but he's not an actual stand-in like Bortus is for Worf.

Does that mean Bortus will be defeated by everything including barrels? He already got punched into a wall, so the prospects are good.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

It helps that DS9 isn't comming into direct contact with space anomalies every other week (except for the wormhole).

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

He did the loving rolling-under-the-enemy Kirk move lmao.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

And it's much easier than saying "It's 25.556 degrees outside today."

Nobody says this. You say "It's 25 degrees today". Thermometers will go an extra mile and add a whole ONE decimal so it's 25.5, but that's just detail.

Cojawfee posted:

celsius is useless as anything scientific will be using Kelvin.

Good thing they are basically the same thing then. Seriously, it's like you guys desire to be wrong.

Cojawfee posted:

Most of the world is familiar with Celsius and Fahrenheit. It's not as if it's remotely difficult to learn both.

Speaking for Brazil here, we know it is a thing that exists. We even learn it in school! And then forget about it 5 minutes later because it's completely useless in daily use in countries were celsius is the norm.

Edit: Aww gently caress, i hadn't read the whole thread. I'm sorry i added to this boring derail that went longer than it should.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Celsius is a scale, and Kelvin is an absolute value.

Celsius temperatures are Kelvin +273.15. The intervals between units are the same (so the distance from 0 to 1 K is equal to the distance between -273.15 and -272.15 ºC), and it's much, much easier to do a simple addition or subtraction than "[°C] ×  9⁄5 + 32". You also go on to say something even more wrong in the very next sentence, hth.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 5, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

This episode was shaping up to be pretty good but then rape rape rape.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Also people comparing it to 'he made himself attractive, they acted on it' are being ridiculous.

No, look, using substances to influence people's brain functions is fine, that's why getting your partner super drunk so they become down to gently caress is ok.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

or some kind of ski outfit sweater with the most worthless flap ever (TOS Movies)

What a bad opinion.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

tarlibone posted:

2) OK, so they're vegan, and presumably have been so for years. So... why do they still want meat so bad that they figured out how to replicate a constant supply?

Hello, vegetarian here. I don't eat meat because i think it's wrong, not because it doesn't taste good. If you gave me a way to make meat out of thin air without any animal suffering i would eat it all the time.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I never really cared much about Plinkett's Trek reviews, it just feels like half an hour of Mike pointing out extremely minor details that ARE WRONG. They never go into full in depth analysis mode like the Star Wars reviews.

Anyway, to me RLM means Best of the Worst mostly. I watch Half in the Bag only when it's about a movie i care so i can see what these hack frauds are saying.

Cingulate posted:

I literally joined SA cause supermechagodzilla is awesome :v: although I disagree with their ideas on Round Spaceships.

Christ almighty.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Jazerus posted:

i will never not laugh at picard casually throwing his prized, irreplaceable ancient pottery around the wreck of his office like it's nothing interesting

Oh yeah, i won't deny some parts of them are very funny :v: