Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

Seth MacFarlane Strikes Out With Green Skinned Space Babes In Cutaway Gags: The Live Action Generation.

Given that Seth's character's ex-wife is his CO, I'm guessing there will be a lot of Seth MacFarlane Tries To Get With Green Skinned Space Babes, Ex Wife Cockblocks Him moments. I mean, until they decide that they actually do love each other and get back together, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The funny thing I remember reading is that even Alaimo got on the "Dukat wasn't all that bad" train, and someone had to go up to him and basically say "Um, dude, you're the bad guy".

Arglebargle III posted:

it's a shame that they had to make him a raving lunatic so that the fans would stop writing him letters. You just love to hate him.

They had to do that because they forgot the second half of 90s grimdark: just as that demands that the Good Guys are Kinda Bad, the Bad Guys have to be Kinda Good. To kinda shake things back to basic principles, you have to make the Bad Guy be really bad (which, in opposing them, makes the Good Guys good again.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 13, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Also, A Million Ways To Die In The West might be one of the worst things ever committed to film

I can only 90% dislike that movie, because the BTTF3 cameo bit warmed my heart.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm interested in this because it's got the optimistic tone of TNG, without the "we're evolved beyond such things" nonsense. People in the future are still gonna be people.

Tiny woman character breaks down a door you couldn't, you're briefly (if irrationally) ashamed and emasculated, and you crack a joke about it to protect your ego. Stupid, but human.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

Pretty sure after early TNG they forget it ever happened, especially with Voyager 90s time travel.

Iirc, they didn't forget about it as much as retconned it into a war that happened under the surface of most people. Not really sure how that works, but whatever.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think I'm sold on this show. It's got some flaws, but the characters (even Seth) are solid enough as people way more real than TOS/TNG characters ever were. I think I'm in love with Adrianne Palicki already.

I'm hoping there's at least one "Halston Sage throws poo poo at the fuckin' dome" moment regularly.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

Edit: the "omelet" and "want eggs now" jokes were sickening

I liked the "want eggs now" joke, because you can tell he's disgusted by craving eggs.

I can sympathize with Alara. Pretty sure if I was randomly put into command of a spaceship, my reactions would be to run away and/or do a shot.

E: it's kinda viscerally surprising me they decided to actually get into civilian clothing. Trek never does that.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 18, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Trek does do that, but they tried so hard to make it look like future clothes that it was weird and jarring.

Ok, sure, they sometimes put the cast into future clothes, but it never felt like a common thing. Picard would've never just randomly put on the clothes found in the place he was trapped in.

Just finished the episode, but I think that they should've had the been-there-31-years monster go free too, and not just the scared alien boy.

And why the hell did they not have a "Why is my desk crumbled into pieces and vomit in the corner?" joke at the end?

e: Oh and I guess Kari Byron from Mythbusters was one of the aliens:

https://twitter.com/KariByron/status/909621366512422912

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 18, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda missed the Captain/Wife discussion, but I'm reasonably sure that they'll have their will-they-or-won't-they scenes, with a high probability of them actually remarrying. Their core issue was that he was a workaholic and she needed closeness Ed wasn't around to provide; maybe living on the same ship will ease that.

The thing I'm slightly worried about (although lessened a bit with the second episode) is them making Alara into a sexpot down the line. In the things I've randomly seen Halston Sage in, she was generally just the Cute Girl. So far she's knocking out out of the park, so I hope Fox doesn't mandate a change her character or anything.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

I've always kind of wanted to see a Sci-Fi show where humans are the hardcore warrior race that scares the poo poo out of reasonable, polite races. But I would definitely take this as an option.

ACC's Rescue Party implies this, in its ending. The aliens realize humanity survived the destruction of their sun, and crack a joke that lolol we should be afraid of these sorts of people, ammirite? It's implied that the trillions of aliens in the galaxy should've been.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This show is too optimistic for it, but I was expecting some Nightfall action when the stars came out.

I love how the bad guy even has his "it's all true and I'm okay with that" moment.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 29, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Admiral Bosch posted:

I came here to talk about Nightfall. That's one of my favorite scifi yarns.

I've rented the novel twice and couldn't find the time to actually read it, twice.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gynovore posted:

The chat between her and Kelly was great; I expected Alara to have said that she broke up with her boyfriend because super strength causes problems in bed :)

Woman of Steel, man of kleenex.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Superrodan posted:

When they shuffled the episode order did they do something weird with the Norm Macdonald character? The doctor visit in the most recent episode felt chronologically like it was supposed to come before the one from the previous episode, if that makes sense.

Yeah, it was clearly this. First time casually trying to ask her out, going for broke the second time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

"I don't ever do it near the food, you know that."

The best thing about this show is the fact that lines like this reinforce Ed's previous history with his ex-wife in more detail than Riker and Troi ever really got.

I really respected that Pira's plan seemed like it was genuinely, for lack of a word, humane. Looking at things from a temporal third-party perspective, the only change was three-hundred people who died got to keep living. Sure, she's making bank off it, but hey, Money + Saving 300 People seems like a pretty decent thing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I kinda like their current chief engineer. Only seen him briefly but his "Chicago union boss" deal is fun.

It'd be fun if, during some alien boarding situation, we learn that it's not a good idea to piss him off. Dude looks built.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

seaborgium posted:

Plus, engineer on a starship. Imagine the tools he's got access to just to maintain the ship. Plasma cutter that cuts through starship armor like butter? Wrench the size of your torso? Knowing which switch to flip to turn the next room into a place where they vent superheated coolant?

Now I just want to see that.

Oh, and he's got a crewman who is made of jelly who can probably make your head airtight if threatened, helpfully weaning you off that pesky oxygen habit.

The Bloop posted:

The dumb drill annoyed me more than anything in the series so far. It felt like "hey the prop department hosed up the drill and there's no more SFX budget for a lazer cutter what do we do?"

I liked it because it was such a non-Trek solution to a Trek problem. I'm surprised the solution wasn't "get a crowbar and pop that fucker off".

Mortanis posted:

The most annoying part to me was having the First Officer throw down with Pria while Alara - noted security chief and super strong individual - stood three feet behind and did nothing.

"Alara, could you-"

:gonk: "oh sweet merciful Christ, there's so much blood Oh God that eye on the floor is looking at me"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think he's talking about the bump above the bridge of Adrianne Palicki's nose / between her eyes. Been there since the beginning of the show, and if it were a zit, they'd makeup it away.

I mean, poo poo, a cursory google image search of her reveals that it's there in almost every photo of her.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Eh, you kinda have make things a caricature of ~whatever~ if you want people learning a message about ~whatever~. People are tricky sorts; they'll use whatever gap in the message to ignore the intended message.

They had to make Dukat basically Devil Hitler because too many folks glossed over all his terribleness because of... whatever niceness he had. His charm, or his live for his daughter, or whatever it was.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, this is weird. Every other Orville episode, it's on Fox's website within an hour of airing. Not so with this one.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

That "oh crap!" got me; it reminded me of myself playing an fps

Same. Less random bad aiming, but same.

And yeah:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the fact that the Union just captured a friggin' Krill Battleship is going to come up later. They were collectively excited about having an intact shuttle, having a high-end ship'll make em go bonkers.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Caufman posted:

Was that in The Outer Limits? My favorite one was about when robots take over and make humans into slaves. They also separate men from women except to mate. When I was a teenager, I thought the sex scenes in this episode were super hot and the human female was stunning.

That's The Human Operators, where a bunch of military ship AIs kill off most of their crews, leaving only a few on each ship, and getting together only to have the human crews produce babies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Do their pins control their volume/contrast?

I'll spoiler block this, but evidently the planet they are on dictates that every crime's guilty/innocent thing is voted in by the entire population. Presumably, those are their voting apparatus.

Also, why are we not taking about Alara's hat.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Although they didn't like "About a Girl," so I'm not sure how I feel anymore.

chaosbreather posted:

I also think the greatest discovery is the weakest of the two. It’s just not funny often times, often appearing to shy away from ripping into the show’s many holes and settling on just recapping the events of the show poorly.

One of them was invited to the premiere of Discovery, and were presumably asked to do a whole new podcast about the show. That sort of thing influences what you'll say about Discovery and The Orville.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 25, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Ooph, that episode is a gutpunch reflecting our own life.

e: vvv I've always felt that to be a really weak part of TNG and a remnant of Gene's nonsenscial utopianism. Like, over and over such a position doesn't make sense, and it just winds up being poked at by others.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 27, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jazerus posted:

it makes perfect sense though?

No, it makes no sense (the notion that we'd just abandon a things-exchanged-for-goods-and-services system is laughable); there's a reason why they kept chipping away at the notion as the franchise went on. Nope, the Federation doesn't use money! They just use credits. Or Latinum. Or they pay for transporters with transporter credits.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I love how bittersweet the Orville is willing to go, never wrapping things up completely happily. Bortas lost his case, and the Moclan culture will continue to do things their way. Saving the Krill kids might've just raised them to be more opposed to negotiating, not less. Facebook Planet is going to keep being Facebook Planet.

Most Trek, they'd make sure to add a little "don't worry everything will turn out the way you feel good about it" ending. Not so, here.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Orville is getting a second season!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

It's a good show, Brent Jeb.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Good to know that Union shuttles have gently caress-you-gently caress-you-gently caress-that-guy-in-particular guns on it, good lord.

e: but I'm not buying that you couldn't hold them off alone, Issac. You were one-shot-one-killing those fuckers.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 3, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This randomly popped into my head: with Alara's ongoing issues with dating, what do you think the odds are that we'll have a "Alara without prosthetics, looking like noted Cute-As-A-Button Halston Sage" episode somewhere up or down the dial? Could be done as a be-yourself-lesson episode, could be done as a light poking at adding Seven Of Nine to Voyager for the sex appeal, etc..

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

Can we talk for a page or two about how Norm McDonald's character (Yaphets?) will react to the news of his #1 crush welcoming Isaac into her family? My guess is he'll get all emo about it like Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Eh, dude seems like a normal person, just horny as hell. I picture him being less emo/depressed and more "Bastard, I was trying to tap that for months now."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm somewhat speaking out of turn because I haven't watched the episode yet, but isn't it a bit weird to ascribe an outside influence (the pheromones) instead of an internal influence (Grayson being fundamentally lonely because of Ed being a workaholic)?

I get that this could lead to a rather odious rabbit hole of blaming the :females: for adultery, but I've kinda felt that the Orville is the kind of show that doesn't invent a Gimmick Of The Episode to absolve/resolve an issue.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 10, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Eh, remember that even in a science fiction show, you're not going to assume alien roofie-pheromones are suddenly at play when someone you've got the hots for changes their mind. Dude had a thing for the Doctor, she turned him down, but now she's down for it. Unless you're really paranoid, you're not wondering what's wrong. You're thinking your luck turned around.

On a broader scale, the thing about "thinking about it critically" about this episode is that, sure, you can go down that rabbit-hole, but it's hard to track from A to B to C when one of those letters is literally alien-pheromones. To me, there's a line between "X as analogy to real-world Y" and "X is literally something outside the context of our real world lives, so we have no way to deal with it", and in this episode, I feel like the gimmick-of-the-episode leans towards the latter.

I didn't get the impression that Rob's character was doing anything maliciously, treated it to a level he felt he should (flippantly until exposed to the consequences, then seriously), and worked to make it right. It's why he used the "maybe" line at the end. He could be :geno: about the whole thing and tell Kelly that it was or wasn't his pheromones, but he decided to be nice and let Kelly off the hook for it in a way that let her feel better.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 12, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the episode kicks off with something of a "when I realized I'd be coming here, I immediately tried to be recused from the job, but time pressures made that a no-go" thing.

There's probably others who could do the job, but poo poo was going to pop off in three seconds so Blue Guy had to be the one to go.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Again, this only holds up until you remember that there are no alien pheromones. It’s fiction. The writers decided to write it this way. They wrote a silly sex romp around the concept of rape, and then had everyone just wryly shrug it off

Exactly what I'm saying. The writers wrote it this way, using something so fictional (aliens, and pheromones so powerful that it does what it did) that the whole everyone-shrugging-it-off thing is a bright neon clue that you as a consumer shouldn't be ascribing real-world analogues to it.

It wasn't rape, it was a being from another world's dandruff that made people horny as hell for a few days. It's more like an episode of Three's Company than, say, the appropriately-titled TNG episode Violations. If it was supposed to be more like that episode, it would've been written more like that episode.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Except it’s not “so fictional”.

I'm going to take the bold stance that alien pheromones are (barring some later discovery) fictional things, to be used and treated as the author defines for the intended story. We could've gotten an episode where Blue Alien Guy uses his dandruff to take advantage of unwilling people for his personal benefit, and would've been a more concretely-defined issue of rape/consent/whatever, and I'd be agreeing with you. But I'd argue we clearly did not get that sort of episode. The very issue you're having with the issue is one of failing to accept the intent of the delivered story, one that is easily corrected.

Jazerus posted:

the way claire with yaphit was depicted cinematographically was a clear callback to various pieces of trek horror, down to the music sting/cut to commercial which ended the scene.

You mean the practically-cliche comedic scene of a character discovering two other people loving in the workplace?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Are you forgetting that Ed isn't attracted to men?

Nah, I remember it, but I'm missing the part where he's using his dandruff to take advantage of people for his own ends. He unknowingly phero'd Ed, Ed was suddenly into him, and his culture taught him to not turn down people who are into you.

Snak posted:

I was really hoping Rob Lowe would say that he definitively was not in heat the first time. It's a pretty lame easy out.

Like I said earlier, you can tell he hedged his bets because on some level he cares for Kelly. If he says no, he's blaming Kelly for the adultery. If he says yes, he might be coercing her into getting back into a toxic relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

He deliberately touched Kelly in the lab.

Yeah, but he also deliberately shook hands with Ed and Kelly, and the thing you mention was not coded at all like a deliberate way to get his dandruff on her.

The textual intent of the episode is clear.