Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mycomancy posted:

Wait, the critics were upset about THAT episode? Seriously? Has our culture changed so much from the airing of The Outcast in the 1990 that we consider this bad now? I'm so loving confused about the poor critical reception for this show.

I mean, given MacFarlane's previous shows, what the episode was about, and the critical response to this episode in particular I was concerned going in... but then the episode hit all the points right on the head, had a classic Trek "twist", and then subverted expectations by having the ending that would probably happen in real life.

I think critics went in ready to eviscerate the show because, well, MacFarlane. Which is a goddam shame, because it's really starting to look like The Orville is the Star Trek show fans have been waiting for for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
God I'm actually really annoyed and disappointed how much the critics bitched about this episode in the screener reviews. Even the humor in it, which had been a bit of a sore thumb for me in the first two episodes, was mostly integrated well and felt appropriate. I'm still chuckling at Greyson's indignant "I've got a bad case of the tits!". On that note, despite all the complaints I've seen online about about Seth continually putting Alara in the forefront (complaints I think are completely unfounded) this was totally Macon and Palicki's episode and they nailed it. poo poo, MacFarlane even got in a good scene himself, with his anger and self-righteousness when dismissing Bortus nearly matching any of the five other captains (not an easy feat).

I totally understand why people would hate the Orville on the surface--after all, it's a smug rear end in a top hat's self-insert Star Trek fanfic, and nothing that said smug rear end in a top hat had done to this point had suggested he could write an even half-decent episode of Trek--but About A Girl pretty much put those concerns to bed for me. I suppose it's possible that this is the high water mark for the season, but even if that's the case I'm glad The Orville exists if only because it was goddam amazing to see an episode of Trek like this on TV in 2017.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's more Seth expecting that the show would be cancelled mid season and wanting to make sure he got in at least one stellar episode before that happened.

Indiewire posted:

One of “About a Girl’s” most major missteps is the way in which it confuses basic concepts of gender identity. Per the GLAAD media reference guide, phrases like “born a woman” are “reductive and overly-simplify a very complex subject” — yet the writers see the issue as strictly tied to biology, which is an overly simplified way of using allegory to look at a nuanced issue.

Gender is not simply an issue of “girl parts” versus “boy parts.” Instead, for many people it is a deeply personal question that goes beyond the binary, something that is only now becoming understood by the mainstream.

:siren: THE ORVILLE IS BAD BECAUSE IT DIDN'T DISCUSS GENDER IDENTITY IN AN EPISODE EXPLICITLY ABOUT BIOLOGICAL SEX :siren:

loving hell.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 22, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can imagine a critic hating this episode because what even is this episode? It wasn't particularly funny. The number of jokes was pretty low.
I dunno, I actually laughed out loud more times watching this episode than the previous ones.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And the story is some plot in the third episode of a show with barely any world building or charactorization.

Like people reading this thread all have the cheat that we watched TNG and so we don't need the setting and characters spelled out. But imagine just being the random tv critic that barely knows star trek from star wars and trying to make sense of this show.

These are decent points, though. There's been a reocurring issue of journalism outlets assigning the wrong people to review or preview media. Venture Beat recently uploaded a video of one of their journalists who isn't good at platformers trying and failing--repeatedly--to play a new platformer and the shitshow that resulted was unbelievable. It doesn't help that the gaming community is already incredibly insular and full of assholes.

Basically, Trek fans and people who consume media casually seem to really like the Orville, and that seems to be MacFarlane's target audience anyway. As long as Fox ignores critical reaction and the ratings hold, the show should do okay. I'm really, really curious to see the ratings for last night's ep.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

So, everyone, then? :v:

Well, yeah. Basically everyone who's not a critic that somehow hasn't seen/doesn't like Trek. Which apparently there's a lot of.

It could also be that, with the advent of a "true" Trek series on the horizon, critics are leery of putting too much praise on a show that's, well, a fan show, instead hoping to direct viewers to an officially sanctioned project. If the ripoff Trek does better that the real thing, viewership or quality wise, there's gonna be some egg on the faces of the Paramount reps who turned MacFarlane away when he approached them.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 22, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want Discovery to be good, I really do! Just like how I wanted The Orville to be good.

How loving insane would it be to have two good Star Treks on TV at the same time? That's never happened before.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Q_res posted:

Don't be dumb, TNG and DS9 overlapped.

I know what I said.

Whoever said that The Orville is basically TNG but with without all the bad bits that made them/me dislike it was dead on.

[Edit: typo'd the post and made it mean the opposite of what I meant it to]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 23, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mortanis posted:

It feels like classic TNG, right down to the way they transition to and from commercials. They pay an absurd amount of attention to the little details of how Trek was paced, flowed, shot and edited.

I can't quite place why but the painted numbers and detailing around the doors in the docking bay look so perfectly Trek that I smile whenever I see them. I also grinned like an idiot when the cave they went into was obviously painted foam walls on a set.

But when the production value really counts (the when the planet is seen from space) the effects are impressive (for a TV show) CGI. Not that I mind painted and matted cityscapes or planets but that kind of work just doesn't hold up well in HD.

It's a nice balance.

[Edit: Oh and the prosthetic work is some of the best ever]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

I am really enjoying how the aliens seem unable to differentiate between human trashy fiction and treasured wisdom.

I can't tell if I was more annoyed that Seth got the number of songwriters on Survivor wrong or I knew the correct number off the top of my head. Brain, why are you so good at trivia but so bad at all other things that are not trivia?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry, but you don't get to say that DS9 was bad.

I didn't. TNG is the bad one.

Well, no. ENT is the bad one. But the only two Treks I truly enjoy are TOS and DS9.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any criticism of circumcision instantly brings the wrath of the JDL down on you and no one wants that. The fact that they don't actually have an answer when the lawyer asks them why they still circumcise male babies is probably as close to criticizing as they could get.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I imagine that CBS wouldn't allow Fox to advertise The Orville during DIS, which is a shame.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kazy posted:

So is MacFarlane going to grow a beard for season 2?

I have a crackpot theory (based on the apparently frequent nighttime urination and concern about colon health) that Mercer has cancer and will die before the end of this season, leaving MacFarlane free to abandon the series focus on the writing.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DaveKap posted:

I went back and read some of the longer posts in here analyzing scene compositions, cinematography, and how progressive this show actually is. I gotta say, I never, ever suspected that a Seth MacFarlane production would get as much intellectual praise and analysis as this. How many episodes did critics get a lead on? I'm curious at which point the series goes from pre-reviewed to new-to-everyone.

This week, critics got screeners of the first three episodes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spark That Bled posted:

Actually, I was here because I didn't like all of the making GBS threads on Discovery, but I'm probably not going to change any of your minds about that, am I?

I'm confused, are people making GBS threads up the DIS thread talking about how much better the Orville is? If they are, tell them to gently caress off. Like people are telling you here.

Wait, your logic is

"Ugh, people in the thread for the show I like are talking about how they don't like the show I like, so I'm gonna go into the thread of a show tangentially related to the show that I like, even though I haven't even watched it, and bitch about it there?"

Like that's some lovely logic right there brah

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 26, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, why the gently caress am I engaging with you when I can just ignore your lovely posts

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The episode had literally nothing to do with transgender rights. The closest parallel that can be drawn to humanity is intersex babies.

[Edit: the fact that so many critics and some posters thought that this episode was about something it isn't wants me to sit everyone down and force them to take a media analysis college course, goddam]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 28, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm starting to think that maybe trying to explain "About A Girl" to people who completely missed the point is pointless.

Also I am tired of people intentionally choosing to interpret movies or TV shows incorrectly to make them about their personal pet causes. Death of the author and all that but loving hell I'm done with people ignoring text in favor of some imagined subtext that exists only in their head or, even better, complaining that the way the tv show or movie handled said issue was bad WHEN IT WAS NEVER ABOUT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 28, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jesus christ what has Modern Family done to cis people's understanding of gay relationships.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slung Blade posted:

There are people who legitimately don't like Vic Fontaine?

:psyduck:

I hated him at first, but "It's Only A Paper Moon" completely redeemed the character for me.

Also with MacFarlane and Grimes in the cast there's no way we don't get a musical episode.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cingulate posted:

I don't know who Seth McFarlane is,

I'm guessing you're either not American or you don't pay attention to animation. Seth is the creator of Family Guy and American Dad, and also wrote and directed the movies Ted, Ted 2, and A Million Ways to Die in the West.

Seth gets a lot of hate due to the sophomoric humor featured in his work, as well as the use of "cutaways"--sudden breaks in the story of an episode to tell an unrelated joke. That said, there is some merit to be found--most people agree that the first few seasons of Family Guy have some truly inspired comedy, and American Dad's humor is more focused and character-based than Family Guy's. Ted, like the Orville, has a surprising amount of heart in it, considering that the film is about a foulmouthed stoner talking teddy bear.

Family Guy, in particular, features a lot of jokes that are, well, incredibly insensitive (not quite on the level of shows like South Park or Drawn Together, but it's close). Star Trek, on the other hand, is usually quite socially conscious, so when it was announced that Seth was heading a Star Trek-eseque show, there were a lot of people (myself included) that were concerned that his particular brand of humor would result in a show that, while looking and feeling an awful lot like Star Trek, would be something that Trekkies would be completely unable to enjoy. Thankfully, we were wrong. While The Orville does have some rough spots--especially when it comes to comedy--for the most part it handles potentially sensitive matters adeptly.

I still hate his smug loving face, though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

All popular things must be hated by the internet, regardless of quality.

Nah, there are legitimate concerns to be raised about Family Guy. Usually when someone has a bad or incorrect opinion that's part of the joke (Brian vomiting for thirty seconds straight after learning the woman he slept with was actually Quagmire's dad post-transition is about how, despite all his claims to be an open-minded liberal, he's actually transphobic*) but the characters rarely get called out for being wrong, leading less-aware viewers of the show to think they're right in their lovely views.

*the joke might actually be "EEEEEW TRANS PEOPLE ARE GROSS" but I'm giving Family Guy the benefit of the doubt here

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 9, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

That's also assuming Brian is the voice of reason when he has repeatedly been shown to be a complete and total blowhard that is hypocritical at its core.

You'd be surprised at how many people don't get that about Brian.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it should be noted that I still watch Family Guy. I just don't want Family Guy style poo poo in a show like The Orville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's because the people who own the Star Trek brand these days are clueless. They aren't fans of Star Trek and don't really understand why people like it. Someone told them that the Wrath of Khan was considered to be the best movie, so they were like "Yeah, let's reference that constantly! Fans will love it!" JJ Abrams is not a Star Trek fan. The old rear end CBS execs are not Star Trek fans. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman might be Star Trek fans, but those guys are also completely retarded and everything they do is crap.

Paramount and CBS like to ignore DS9 \ VOY \ ENT because they weren't as popular as TOS or TNG and didn't have the mainstream appeal those did. And even saying TOS had "mainstream appeal" is a stretch, because the show didn't and it was cancelled. It was the movies that people remember.

I mean, I like TOS. I really love the TOS movies. But I also love the poo poo out of Next Gen and DS9. And I am so sick of the TOS era. And I think most Trek fans are. Current Trek stuff loves to boldly go where we've already been.

In the wise (and prophetic) words of Wayne Campbell,

“It's a lot like ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’. In many ways it's superior, but will never be as recognized as the original.”