Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fuuuuuuck I can't wait for this, it's either going to be good or it's going to be a spectacular trainwreck of a pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah this looks like it's actually intending to be a show about boldly going and not Seth MacFarlane Strikes Out With Green Skinned Space Babes In Cutaway Gags: The Live Action Generation.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My wild-rear end guess of a prediction: The show is going to be quite good. Not perfect, but much better than anything Discovery could hope to accomplish, and a good Star Trek show all around. But it's only going to make it a couple seasons, before the network does the usual "wait why are we paying for this" that happens to sci-fi shows people care about and cancels it. And this isn't 1967 anymore so a letter-writing campaign will do jack poo poo and five years later The Orville will be remembered fondly, an example of what science fiction *can* be.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The more Seth MacFarlane reiterates that this isn't Family Guy In Space, and the more short clips we see from the show, the more I feel like it's going to be akin to SG-1 in tone. And that excites the hell out of me.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I haven't watched Family Guy in probably ten years.

I'm not about to start again because I don't want to sour my expectations for The Orville.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Thanks for the heads up by the way, we're definitely going to need to preview it before watching with the kids.

It may be the best Star Trek we've had in close to 20 years, but it's still written by Seth MacFarlane.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Would not be surprised if Netflix or Amazon made MacFarlane an offer when FOX inevitably pretends they never even ordered the first season in the first place.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Finally got around to watching this.

That was Star Trek, all the way through. Most of the dick jokes were inconsequential, and honestly I laughed pretty hard at the one about Lt. Brosef Helmsdouche having an affinity for drawing dicks on displays.

I have hope for television science fiction now.

e: I kind of found the "Greek chorus", as The_Doctor put it, clever in a possibly unintended way. At least three of the people on the bridge crew other than Mercer and Grayson are just trying to not gently caress up (well, Mercer as well, but of the chorus, it's Helmsdouche, Soda Navigator, and Alara, who is one of the only characters whose name I remember). The other two are Racist Data and Teal'c Expy, the former of whom doesn't get what's going on and the latter gets what's going on and wants no part of it. I like that dynamic.

e2: Oh right the doc was on the bridge for a few scenes as well. I suspect she'll get her office in sickbay though and most of her non-landing party scenes will be from there. Or Mercer's room when he eventually decides to try therapy.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at Sep 12, 2017 around 04:13

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

All of these microsperg faults just make this a better Star Trek.

I seriously hope MacFarlane still has enough pull with FOX to get another season ordered.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

...and it's infinitely better than the time actual Star Trek tried to do a ripoff of TNG.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Orville isn't trying to profit off of Star Trek IP, and MacFarlane pitched it as a sci-fi comedy-drama, not a space opera drama. The fact that Orville is hitting notes that are much more Star Trek TNG than everything we've seen out of Star Trek in the past twenty years put together is not admissible evidence for whatever CBS would even want to attempt to file suit for.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Woo two in one week! This makes up for no Rick and Morty week before last.

Thursday night slot isn't bad. At least it's not the Friday Night Death Slot.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Judging by critical expectation for the first two episodes ("what, this isn't Family Guy in Space? 1/10!") I have hopes that the third episode is peak mid-series TNG cerebral and the critics were seething about that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Durrr, those are marbles, I funnee show

I really liked that joke because of how fast paced it was. No exaggerated delay with contorting faces or pauses for laughter. Just Ed picks up a marble while asking for a mint, throws it in his mouth, Admiral says "those are marbles", and before he finishes his sentence, Ed spits it perfectly back into the bowl.

Man it feels weird being the target audience for a Seth MacFarlane show.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I like that MacFarlane's got the whole "expectation fakeout" thing down to a fuckin tee. The dude who is derided constantly for cutaway gags set up an entire scene that played off the fact that it could have been a cutaway gag in Family Guy but was actually just two people drunkenly reminiscing, like actual people. And the fakeout where everyone's going "oh no Ed don't try to get back together with Kelly" and then, well, the scene with the cereal and the beer.

I dunno if I'm reading too hard into it or not. I'm just happy we have some good, enjoyable science fiction that balances the drama with lightheartedness. It's like mid-series M*A*S*H without the laugh track.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I am wholeheartedly expecting that all those skeezy turbochud critics were edging themselves hoping that the end of the next episode would involve a post-partum abortion because Family Guy In Space, and that actually we're going to get Bortus' partner taking the girl and leaving the ship to raise her in the utmost care of their culture or something like that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nope. Jerry Doyle died last year, complications from alcoholism. JMS gave a nice eulogy where he mentioned that a lot of Garibaldi's "jesus, dude, that's brutal" lines were literally just poo poo that Doyle said backstage, like the one about the solution to crime being moving from electric chairs to electric bleachers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BattleTech posted:

So according to reddit, the episode aired so far are 1, 3, and 4. I guess fox is just straight skipping episode 2.

Production codes and air ordering is a bit jumbled, which is admittedly very Star Trek. Next week's ep is the second one produced. Rest of the season is in order.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

God this show is incredible. This is everything I wanted and more.

I can't believe I'm in love with a Seth MacFarlane show.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Fox aired episodes 1,3, and 4

Maybe they didn't gently caress up for once and Episode 2 is just really poo poo?

I seriously think it's just critics getting 30 seconds in and making GBS threads themselves like Cojawfee said.

Teaser summary of the next episode:

TV Guide posted:

Ed and the Orville crew encounter a massive vessel adrift in space, which is in danger of colliding with a star. While some of the crew set out to help the ship's inhabitants, Bortus, Gordon, and John stay behind and fend off a Krill attack on another Union ship in the all-new "If the Stars Should Appear" episode of THE ORVILLE airing Thursday, Sept. 28 (9:01-10:00 PM ET) on FOX. (ORV-102)

The wording at the end there makes me feel like TV Guide isn't used to shows having episode title cards be an important thing again.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah that scene actually made me go "holy poo poo, he actually knows how to act".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The slot change coupled with "wait, two new episodes in one week?" probably messed with things a bit.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's pretty clear that Seth McFarlane (who wrote the episode) thought they were good arguments.

And it's pretty clear you're posting in this thread just to complain about the show for having the audacity to have been created by Seth MacFarlane.

Show us on the TV Guide where the comedian touched you.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jesus H Christ if you came to this thread to proselytize Discovery then you can gently caress back off to that terrible thread.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Orville doing real hard hitting TNG grade serious episodes is cool and good. It's like every time M*A*S*H did a particularly heavy anti-war episode that had a couple minutes of comedy in it and then suddenly the laugh track is gone and the characters have hit their breaking point and everyone's sad.

I'm just imagining someone complaining that there should have been canned laughter in the climactic scene of Sometimes You Hear The Bullet.

e: dangit Vapors beat me to mentioning M*A*S*H

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Man I am just continuously mindblown by the fact that I am a fan of a Seth MacFarlane show this is insaaaane

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

swickles posted:

On mobile so can't link it, but there was an SA front page post that was a janitor complaining about cleaning up the holodeck after Riker used it and its pretty funny.

Found it! http://www.somethingawful.com/news/blue-stripe-life-4/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Snak posted:

Now if only they could figure out how to defeat a mid-size science vessel with a huge destroyer.

I feel like the Krill don't really understand ingenuity when it comes to combat. They seem to be interested in just sitting still, facing the other ship, and lazily exchanging fire until one of them goes boom. Compare this to the Orville, whose bridge crew comes up with such plans as "do nutty piloting tricks, thread the needle, get some shots off, then throw a metric ton of nukes at the problem".

In more horribly goony terms, the Krill are playing EVE Online, and the Union is a big fan of Freespace 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Humans are flawed.

This is basically the entire premise of The Orville.