Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Thanks, thread. You got me interested in the show and I enjoyed the first episode a lot more than I thought I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Cingulate posted:

What's the role of RLM?
As someone who enjoyed all of the Plinkett reviews, they're very good at pointing out what is exactly wrong with the films they're covering, both from a nitpicky standpoint ("Why did X say Y?") and from a storytelling/directorial standpoint (their Episode III review will always be the best for me). They're very good at using the source material to back up what they're saying instead of making blanket statements and hoping you agree.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

CommanderApaul posted:

I lost it when Isaac condescendingly called them by their first names.
With the small pause before each one.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

This one was from last season. The Ed/Kelly relationship, the call-out to an earlier (but same season) episode, and some of the production details give it away. Plus the production number.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

mllaneza posted:

And that's Dr. Phlox and the lady Vorta from DS9 with the guns !

No, the lady Vorta was Alara's mom.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

I have a feeling Isaac lied about naming himself after Newton and probably named himself after Asimov.

DaveKap posted:

And I definitely thought Isaac got his name from Isaac Asimov. Newton was a much less obvious answer to me.

I thought it was pretty obvious that while Isaac may have chose the name for Newton, the show chose the name for Asimov.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

That's an impressively terrible trailer.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Wow it 100% is.

Also I just fired up Babylon 5 after Orville and noticed the exact same water pitcher set.

The pitcher isn't exactly the same, but apparently glass pitchers with holes in them are super futuristic.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think there's only like one gay joke in the entire series. Everything else is a thoughtful exploration into Moclan culture and sexuality.

Are you counting Klyden as a single gay joke?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

No, it was in the first episode when everyone's meeting in the cargo bay. Ed says something about how being a same sex couple they don't have to argue about the toliet seat.

And that was pretty much it. There's a lot of jokes about Bortus and Klyden, but they're usually sex neutral jokes about married couples.

Klyden is "the woman" in the relationship: effeminate in dialogue, body language, dress, etc. I really wish they would fix this, but everything about it is deliberate.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I would argue that Klyden is not "the feminine one" in the relationship, he's just the less mature, naggier and more domestic one, and that in itself challenges the stereotypes of "the woman in the relationship." It's pretty clever IMO.

But that's a gay stereotype. It's all over television.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I think it has very little to do with sex/gender or stereotypes about same. Klyden is a civilian, socially conservative, and not particularly comfortable around non-Moclans. He's lonely, because he and his family are the only Moclans, and he feels strange socializing with non-Moclans. So he's a lot more emotionally dependent on Bortus than Bortus is on him. He's more clingy and nagging not because he's the "woman" in the relationship, but because he's scared, lonely, and wants companionship.

I like this interpretation, and sometimes it seems like it's what they're going for, but then they undercut it by putting him in clothing that's coded as female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Example? I've never noticed that if so.

I definitely noticed it in the concert episode, where it was in the shape of his collar. I'm not sure how I can take a screenshot on Hulu, but I'll go digging online to see if I can find it.