Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Alara got some eybrows in episode 2, I noticed. I totally see why.

[quote="“Jeb! Repetition”" post="“476571538”"]
Shaq, when the food broke
[/quote]

Temba, at rest.

twistedmentat posted:

You know what the show needs? Patrick Stewart to come on and do live action director Bullock.

Yes please.

[quote="“Macdeo Lurjtux”" post="“476580930”"]
Naw, he needs to be a janitor in the background without any lines for one or two shots a season. And then, in the series finale, he can walk into McFarlane’s office to collect the trash and tell Seth, “You’re really awful at this.”
[/quote]

This works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Accretionist posted:

I am disappointed they left Cultural Relativism unresolved.

Probably will never happen without many, many hurt feelings on all sides.

I like this show, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just now got that Dr. Finn was married to The Sisko.

:aaaaa:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dr. Finn is Cassidy Yates. I'm okay with this.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure these a good parody of "Hymm to Him" from My Fair Lady to be had somewhere around here about Vulcans/humorless nerds complaining about Hu-mon hu-mor/Seth McFarlane, or something somewhere.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kibayasu posted:

So it turns out I can actually enjoy this show when half of every episode isn't filled with divorce jokes!

It's a good thing that no episodes thus far have neared that, huh?

I read it as a kind of like Troi and Riker's thing, where it they used it in TNG to establish a past between them, (similar in some ways to Crusher and Picard, too) to give you a bunch of backstory at once that your mind could fill in the blanks with.

They didn't harp on Troi and Riker being exes or Picard feeling guilty for or Crusher resenting Picard getting Jack killed, after all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

8one6 posted:

It's also available on Amazon's season pass thing.

So that's like 3 possible streaming services in addition to being broadcast on-air.

How unlike actual Star Trek!

:v:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

I genuinely wonder if this is going to be 30Rock vs Studio 60 all over again.

I feel it's likely to, at least in America. Everywhere else, where it's on Netflix... Discovery will probably do well enough.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

It is a bit strange, since Discovery can be found on European Netflix apparently. Might be they're just pushing it on their own service to get a bigger slice of the US market while using the international services to get actual profits.

Having just seen Discovery, it might be best if they keep it hidden until the good episodes release.

"Might be."

It's on Netflix everywhere else but the U.S.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Spark That Bled posted:

I've been reading up on this show, and I don't see anything progressive about it. I don't know how else to break it to you.

You could try watching for yourself. Weird, I know! I know I'm beaten by a mile. I feel my take is original enough to stand on its own, however.

TheScott2K posted:

Three episodes have aired, either watch it or gently caress off. Nobody cares what you think of the recaps.

For once I agree with TheScott2K. I'm sure no one cares about what I think either, just to preemptively put that out there and deny Scotty the pleasure of his posting gimmick.

Spark That Bled posted:

I dunno about you, but I'm watching Discovery on Netflix right now. The Orville isn't on Netflix, that's for sure.

You're not an American, huh? Because Discovery isn't on Netflix in America. It's on CBS All Access for some godawful reason.

It's like some of you forget that America is the center of the universe. Weird.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I watched the first two episodes of Discovery and all the Klingons are all nu-metal bald instead of their signature cool thrash metal hair. It's like the art style change going from Dragon Age: Origins to Dragon Age 2. Not terrible, just weird.

I'm not sure what I think about that show yet. I know I like The Orville though!:unsmith:

Caros posted:

If all you have to go on for The Orville is online reviews, you're going to get a vision of the show that isn't exactly based in reality.

But how will you know what is good if someone else doesn't tell you?:ohdear:

Spark That Bled posted:

Well, posting here hasn't convinced me to watch the show, so :shrug:

That's because you're talking to Goons. Goons do this hyperbolic opinionated bullshit both ways all the time. I'm surprised you haven't picked up on this by now.

TheScott2K posted:

Rainbowbeard why can't you just say "I agree with this obvious take" without turning it into a shitpost?

Unnecessary posts require unnecessary responses. I learned from a series of master Goons. I wasn't always like this.

lelandjs posted:

I'm confused, are people making GBS threads up the DIS thread talking about how much better the Orville is? If they are, tell them to gently caress off. Like people are telling you here.

Wait, your logic is

"Ugh, people in the thread for the show I like are talking about how they don't like the show I like, so I'm gonna go into the thread of a show tangentially related to the show that I like, even though I haven't even watched it, and bitch about it there?"

Like that's some lovely logic right there brah

Well, it worked in the sharktankXbox thread. So many parallels here. The mods over there in Games are cool with that kind of thing happening.

Regy Rusty posted:

It's very important to establish everywhere precisely which clique you belong to so that no one has any doubts about whether you like or hate things sufficiently

Agreed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Man I am just continuously mindblown by the fact that I am a fan of a Seth MacFarlane show this is insaaaane

Learn to accept new input. Data would. Isaac to, probably.

swickles posted:

So far every episode has had an instance of one character calling another a dick. I hope this is a thing that happens every episode.

Tut, tut, let us aspire to refined humor!

Anyway, when I'm having a cool Star Trek Adventure I sure won't make any jokes, and if I did they certainly won't fall flat, because I'm the best at jokes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Oh, Morty.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Going insane because you saw the night sky only works in a pre-scifi civilization.

People only freaked out at Orson Welles' War Of The Worlds because they switched over from Edgar Bergen and didn't hear the "this is a new kind of thing" disclaimer at the beginning.

If you really think about it, sci-fi is a good training technique to help acclimate is to our new alien overlords, and I for one

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

Also it's basically a myth that people freaked out to begin with, mostly promulgated by newspapers who wanted to take a swipe at this new unreliable media source - the radio

Yeah, most people were cool with it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mark Jackson voices (also is in the suit).

Not to be confused with Marc Evan Jackson, Marshall on Mars

No, not a Kaylon, he's... from Earth.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Context please.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I miss Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

I miss Firefly.

There, I said it.

:colbert:

eyebeem posted:

Mirror Universe Orville could take a page out of the Seinfeld paybook and make the mirrors do-gooders. Give them all ridiculous sideburns or handlebar mustaches.

This is a good idea.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zoro posted:

:barf:

No, with no exaggeration, I would have turned off my TV if he said that.

Check out the highly refined tastes on this guy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope that transporter device disappeared when Pria did. I don't want transporters in this show.

Schroedinger's Desk Drawer.

He doesn't want to know if it's still there.

Grand Fromage posted:

The portable emitter was good because the Doctor was the only good character on the show and it allowed him to be around more.

Shbobdb posted:

I really like how they made Skyler have the big rear end zit on her forehead throughout the episode.

Not only is she an Ex, she also has poor hygiene!

McFarlane is a class act all the way.

That's just Adrienne Palicki's face. My wife can't get over her mole or whatever it is either.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I didn't ever really notice it in Agents of Shield, but that show was lit a lot darker. Also AoS may have makeuped it away while Orville digs the wabisabi.

It was there on AoS. My wife kind of hated Mockingbird because of it, similar to Shbobdb. I think she may be looking past it as she sees more stuff with Palicki in it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I think this was the first episode where the humor generally landed without feeling forced, or maybe I'm just getting used to it.

Everyone is slowly unclenching and getting used to the humor. The people that felt it was forced, that is.

Gynovore posted:

-----------Scenario One-----------

Network Executive: This better be good, I'm late for my lunch at Dolce.

Some Schlub: Yer gonna love this, Morty. It's a sci-fi show with spaceships and laser beams and four-breasted alien chicks. Thing is, we do a total clone of Star Trek, but just different enough so we don't get sued! Change the Federation to the 'Unity', the warp drive to the 'quick drive', the works. Kids eat that stuff up!

NE: (sighs) Look, Schlomo...

SS: But wait, you haven't heard the best part! Get this... we throw in a joke every episode! Maybe even two! Great idea, huh? We'll call it "Star Yucks!" Whaddya say?

Morty pushes a button. The schlub falls through a trapdoor into a room with Kirstie Alley chained to the wall, who devours him raw.

-----------Scenario Two-----------

Network Executive: Seth! Great to see you!

Seth McFarlane: Same here, Morty.

NE: What have you got for me today?

SMF: Well, just imagine Family Guy in space. We'll start with this captain who-

NE: (Hands McFarlane a gold-plated sack of money) I'm sold!

SMF: But I didn't tell you-

NE: Bah, that's just details. I'll fast-track you to production.

Two years later, The Orville comes out. It's 10% Family Guy style jokes and 90% real sci-fi, but Morty is too coked out of his skull to even notice.

That humor, I dunno, feels forced? See what I did there? Maybe I should relax.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Seriously. My elementary school lunch box begs to differ!

Were you a giant nerd?

Because I was.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roflex posted:

Thing is I can forgive the cheap sets, both for at least fitting well together and also for the fact that this isn't the Enterprise, it's supposed to be bottom of the barrel and I'm surprised there hasn't been more plot around that. Maybe the Union's flagship has the big painted-up muscle car engine bay but this ship gets the plasticky Camry one.

It would be a neat payoff to see a top-of-the-line ship's engine room, and have the Orville crew feel bad about it. Make it a good portion of the CG budget for the episode.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sure, but that was another culture's ship. Different kind of sting if it's a a Union ship.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

(Did iOS 11 gently caress up quotation marks or...)(e: Nope, just the preview, we all good fellow mobile posters.)

iOS 11 has this thing called Smart Punctuation which does, Indeed, gently caress with quotes. It thinks that markup quotation marks should be proper punctuation ones, which causes the Awful app to do those weird quotes people have been seeing recently. It's pretty simple to turn off in Settings.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

I don't. What's incongruent about making offensive jokes in a fictional medium vs. supporting real-life people who have experienced real-life injuries?

I'm going to guess that some people are unable to make that distinction due to personal trauma suffered related to a given subject matter.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mycomancy posted:

Granted, but equating an alleged rapist with a guy who wrote bad jokes about rape is ridiculous.

Yes, that's true, but some of these people's mental processes have been permanently affected to some extent due to their untreated trauma. Telling them to suck it up doesn't tend to work very well.

basic hitler posted:

There is zero chance the Four Hour Long Commercial Where Dudes Slam Into Eachother For 30 Seconds Between Ads will be better than the Pretty Good Star Trek Substitute, i'm sorry. I even enjoy watching sports live, but gently caress football and how it disrupts real television.

:discourse:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hangedman1984 posted:

All sport is bad on TV, but good live.

I was being kind.

I see that was a mistake.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 13, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bardeh posted:

Another good episode overall, with a good ending, but I really think they could've toned down Ed and Malloy's utter uselessness aboard the Krill vessel. I know it's meant to be played for comedy, and it kinda sorta worked, but how are we supposed to believe that nobody was even the slightest bit suspicious apart from the Chaplain?

You attribute silly hu-mon responses to the glorious Krill.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A good doggo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

I joined a Facebook group for this show and apparently the moral of this episode was that muslims are evil and can't be reasoned with.

I got that indoctrination can be subverted through exposure to other cultures... if you're lucky. Hate is learned.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Star Trek and probably the Orville have always been able to replicate life, hello, transporters? it's probably unethical or illegal to create copies or new life via the replicator.

Yeah. Replicators on Star Trek (basically) work by dematerializing poop from the sewage tank/raw matter stores and using that mass to rematerialize a stored food selection in the replicator's memory banks. "Earl Grey, Hot" is going to be the exact same same cup of tea every time: they kept the perfect one.

It's like that time Scotty was trapped in the transporter for a hundred years or whatever, or when there were two Rikers.

I don't know about Tuvix becasue I didn't watch that much of the lizard loving show.

On the other side, The Sisko's dad is a hipster with his farm-to-table "real" food.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zoro posted:

If y'all want a show that deals with the ethics of transponders, there were 2 episodes of an 80s show that dealt with it. One had aliens give people the tech but it's just a copier so, to keep the secret, people were tasked with killing the original, their culture had a different definition of self. Another had people use 10 day long clones that melted afterwards and you absorbed their memories.

The original Men In Black comics used memory transfers with clones in their "teleporters," too. Jay was horrified when he realized he was the clone and had to die to get back in his own body.

Cingulate posted:

Today somebody asked me what I'm thinking of "the New Star Trek" and I said I love The Orville. Turns out this came across as a particular political stance - it seems The Internet is full of people who hate Discovery cause it has black people (drat SJWs forcing diversity down my throats!) , and love The Orville cause it, I guess, doesn't?.. But then, wouldn't these people also go insane over the physically strong woman, the sex surgery episode, and the mocking of religion ..?

Look. We all know it's impossible to be gangsta in space and that only white nerds like sci-fi, so hush.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Do I actually have to explain this? You can't tell how absurd that statement is?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Caufman posted:

More accurately, this is not about the religions themselves but how the practitioners interpret their religion. Right now you can find Buddhists killing non-Buddhists for no good reason. You can also read Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, an early 20th century Christian theologian who wrote extensively about a theology that conceives of a cosmic Christ, not just the Jewish one named Jesus of Nazareth.

I bet I could read the entire Avis rental agreement and make a plausible interpretation that the term krill used in the phrase "all krill are brothers," refers also to sapient peoples not born on the krill homeworld.

Agreed. Religion isn't monoculture.

Rutibex posted:

They looked though the literature database from their room, I can assume they are not stupid enough to fail to check if there is a e-book on file they could just copy to a thumb drive. It must be a religious requirement not to make electronic copies.

Perhaps that was the fancy public one, and Chris and Devin were making things needlessly complicated for slapstick reasons by going after that one instead of seducing the schoolmarm and stealing her digital version.

Cingulate posted:

You don't have to do nothing, but I don't understand the line. I have no starting point.

It starts from a warped view of American black people derived from only being exposed to American media, which is how some of these "alt-right" chucklefucks arrived at their stupid views. Authentically Black People only like things from the Approved Black Person Interests List, such as hip hop, keeping it gangsta, etc, you see.

You know how everyone on the Internet is a straight white male? It's like that.

It's ludicrous.

Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel. Temba, his arms wide!

Caufman posted:

Reflecting on the Orville = notSJW, one thing I remember from the pilot was that I found it not completely right that Ed outranked Kelly. The Admiralty was impressed with Kelly, not Ed, and she came up with the plan to use the tree to destroy the krill ship. But she's a full rank below him and serves under his command. I'm impressed with her character's love for her ex-cuckold, but in an SJW-approved Union, Kelly would have had her own command before Ed.

What was her rank when she cheated on him? He was an up-and-coming officer, I don't recall if she was as well. Maybe she will surpass him yet, if she threw herself into the work like he did pre-divorce. He stalled for a year.

WampaLord posted:

What in the gently caress is this post? Son, you done broke your brain with too much internet. Stop parsing everything as "SJW" or "notSJW" what in the gently caress is wrong with you?

Stare into the Abyss, the Abyss stares back. Some puzzles are irresistible.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

Colin, kneeling yet victorious. Donald, his heart screaming.

Shaka, his eyes open.

zoux posted:

Star Trek has always sneered at religion, it's not because of MacFarland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTaj4nNH5ko

In this context Picard does not want to be worshipped as a god or be responsible for that whole situation. It's not that same as "sneering at religion..."

Kind of like how how the alt-right thinks the Orville is cool and good because it supports their views if you squint and don't look too closely.

:)

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

TNG Federation is a communist society nicked straight from Marx' works. Of course it's an atheistic society looking down on religion :can:

(I never watched the original show, it's just too goofy for me. It might be different there.)

They have evolved to the point where they don't need to constantly poo poo on religion... something we can all aspire to.

:)

The Bloop posted:

I'm trying to remember what Isaac sounds like and I read all those lines in Kryten's most sarcastic voice.

He sounds like Data. His inflection is nearly perfect Data.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

It is verifiably true in the sense that the Prophets are freaky timeless aliens with no proper concept of good and evil that messed with Bajorans for inscrutable purposes and somehow the moment this was revealed Bajorans didn't do a complete turn away from worshipping them but doubled down.

I mean that would probably happen in real life too but drat.

I remember the time the Federation was like "No, Bajor, you can't become a member until you become euphoric because you are enlightened by your own intelligence."

That was a good episode! :happened:

WampaLord posted:

Ironically, TNG's Enterprise does the exact same thing.

Tons of families with kids on that ship.

True. Galaxy-class spacecraft are not warships by design, however. Not officially. They're just so big that all that power can be rerouted for war purposes when required.

You know, through the main deflector dish. Ooh yeah, and the whole separating the Saucer Section thing they hardly ever did. Probably the dish thing, though, with an inverted tachyon pulse

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No culture with Kira Nerys can be all that bad.

:agreed:

Cojawfee posted:

In a situation where they need to defend themselves and their people, killing everyone onboard but saving and returning the children is the best they could probably do. Every adult on that ship was a valid target in regards to defending Rana 3. The Krill can look into it however they want, but Mercer can clear his conscience knowing that he saved those children. Perhaps the Krill would see it as dishonorable that the children didn't die with the rest of the crew, or maybe they see the children as warriors, thus valid targets.

We will almost certainly revisit this plot point later.

:speculate:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Where can I find an angry rear end in a top hat on the Internet? Never mind, I found one

He can't help it. It's his posting gimmick.

adhuin posted:

STD is easier to catch outside the US.

It's like they want Americans to learn about VPNs.

Kurieg posted:

Yes but what I've heard about the show has led me to believe it's entirely orthogonal to a thing I would want to watch, why expend the effort?

You will never know for sure one way or another unless you see it with your own eyes? I dunno, your call.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You all literally ignored Rob Lowe's best role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Regy Rusty posted:

Chris Traeger is literally not a pheromone rapist