Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

MisterBibs posted:

Given that Seth's character's ex-wife is his CO, I'm guessing there will be a lot of Seth MacFarlane Tries To Get With Green Skinned Space Babes, Ex Wife Cockblocks Him moments. I mean, until they decide that they actually do love each other and get back together, of course.

*Sighs* yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

R-Type posted:

There is no doubt. Discovery's got paywall barriers and had too many good people get exposed to the project and jump ship because of what they saw. I'm predicting Discovery has Mass Effect Andromeda-itus, It will be libtarded, infected with much SJW poo poo and be too far removed from past practice to have appeal to the ST OT fanbase.

Lol

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

McSpanky posted:

I'm happy enough to have a space opera on TV not lit like a goddamn coal mine.

Yeah that was a big part of why I didn't like the aesthetics of later treks. I don't consider TNG's bright lighting to be arbitrary or chronologically culture-bound, I thought it was thematic. Part of Trek's optimism and eye toward discovery and understanding. I mean the intellectual tradition it's in is literally called the Enlightenment.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah that was a big part of why I didn't like the aesthetics of later treks. I don't consider TNG's bright lighting to be arbitrary or chronologically culture-bound, I thought it was thematic. Part of Trek's optimism and eye toward discovery and understanding. I mean the intellectual tradition it's in is literally called the Enlightenment.

This is also part of why Yesterday's Enterprise was so powerful.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

His heart is so completely in the right place about everything that it's gonna be devastating when the show sucks.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Eiba posted:

On the other hand, the first trailer had a 'men leave the toilet seat up' joke, featured the captain and his ex-wife CO bickering, and had a drunk driving joke.

MacFarlane is saying all the right things, and I really hope we get some nice charming utopian sci-fi... but we might still get enough Family Guy in space to drag it all down.

Seriously, "his CO is is ex-wife!" is the most worrying part of the premise.

Yeah it sucks but maybe it's because he wants a Picard/Crusher thing.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I dreamed last night that I was a recurring but unimportant crew member on the Orville, like O'Brien on the first three seasons of TNG, and Seth MacFarlane was trying to defeat some aliens that were able to steal a few seconds of time from you, so they would ambush you while you were walking and from an outside perspective you would stay in the same spot but be in a different part of your walk cycle and trip over something. I remember as I was sitting around the conference table, even though I was the lowest rank there and a lot of people were involved, I felt like I was such an important part of history.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

So they tripped you?

It didn't happen to me personally but we watched a video of it happening to another member of the crew.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Would you say that they were tripping?

What are you getting at Arglebargle.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm not actually as excited for the show as that dream would imply though.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

My biggest concern is that MacFarlane's making the characters too cliched. I mean come on, resentful ex is his second in command, and the human bridge staff are his supportive best friend and a black guy with no filter?

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Unless it bores me to tears or pisses me off I'll give it a season, probably. Utopian scifi feels like a good idea right now.

Yeah it's something we really need and MacFarlane understands, but that just makes me dread it not being good even more.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there any stuff that gets into the Eugenics War or is it just left at "a war related to eugenics happened."

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The most worrying review is the one from the AV Club because they completely get what Seth MacFarlane's going for and even agrees that it's desirable but still don't think it works, and in pretty much exactly the ways I feared.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

If Seth MacFarlane hadn't been involved I'd be super hyped and defending the show to the death before I saw it.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No you see I don't like the new Star Trek so this one has to be good.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

Tbqh honest if this was going during the same time as tng critics wouldnt have been so harsh (might have been poo poo on for the jokes)

Yeah but if TNG was on today it would have rightfully been fuckin savaged.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Anyway the reactions in this thread have been good enough that I'll probably watch it even if it's just because I like the visuals.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

RentACop posted:

It had a couple good jokes, but a lot more macfarlinian ramble jokes that especially don't work in a dramatic context. Also a bunch of clumsy-rear end exposition but that's to be expected of a first episode. ALSO you can see the will-they-won't-they love triangle hijinks with the ex-wife coming a mile away. But anyway it wasn't terrible, we'll see how it goes

Are you sure? Because that sounds terrible.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

8one6 posted:

You seem to want a binary great/awful outlook on the show.

It's by no means terrible. The visual effects are really good, the writing was "average tng", and the humor ranged from rambling to funny.

Is it a "must watch" out of the gate? gently caress no. But it shows potential.

My expectation is that it's a mix of great (themes, visuals) and awful (writing, acting).

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Q_res posted:

it could be ... watchable

Boy, talk about damning with faint praise.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Q_res posted:

Yes, if you cut out the "really" part you can make what I said look much worse that it actually was. Congratulations, you're a genius.

"Really" was modifying "fun," not watchable.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh yeah I guess it was ambiguous. But how can something be "really" watchable? Isn't watchability more or less a binary state?

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pakled posted:

Yeah, as bad as the spiteful divorcee stuff was in this episode, I get the impression the show's going to be easing off that angle in the future as they learn to work together more (and hopefully not fall in love again, blargh). Assuming that stuff isn't leaned on as heavily in future episodes, the annoying rear end in a top hat helmsman's probably the biggest problem with the show. Unless he receives some serious character development, which I doubt is gonna happen, he's just gonna remain unfunny and painfully unlikable which is really going to drag down the show because I feel like the rest of the characters at least have the potential to be likable.

Is the helmsman the unfunny black guy or the Captain MacFarlane's supportive best friend guy?

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Trek fans are hella thirsty

Yep. Also they've seen one episode and the reviewers saw the whole season.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I kinda wish the ex wife was the captain, and McFarlane was the first officer. She has more gravitas; whereas McFarlane feels Riker-y.

Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm also disappointed about Cortana. It's the main reason I disabled her on Windows 10 and didn't buy an Xbox One.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dessel posted:

I actually liked the first episode and I'm no Star Trek fan by any stretch of the imagination (I haven't watched any Trek series regularly, only caught few episodes on TV back in the day). But enough that I get some weird nostalgic feeling watching this. I've been thinking of returning to DS-9/TNG and... Babylon 5 but I feel like the years have been a little too rough on them for me to bother, even if I'm a big sci-fi nerd.

I actually dreaded the humour part of the show but it hasn't been quite as grating as I feared, allthough some jokes in the first episode were way too forced.

I was in the same position as you a few months ago, now I'm watching TNG all the way through, and what I'd recommend is watching only the good/important episodes.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ah gently caress the reaction to ep 2 is gonna make me watch this

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This set design is awesome, wish it didn't have Seth MacFarlane in the middle of it

The cheating with alien thing is lame but the squawk it makes I actually laughed out loud at

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

MacFarlane's used to not having to move his face when he voice acts

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Durrr, those are marbles, I funnee show

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay I like the idea of him being the worst captain on the lowest ship as an inversion of how it goes on Star Trek

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Done with the first episode. Pretty mediocre. I don't mind jokes but a lot of them felt so forced or out of place. Also if you want to make an optimistic show about people dealing with their problems in healthy ways, maybe don't have MacFarlane fall back in loves with his ex-wife. If they avert that somehow I'll have a lot more respect for it.

Kazinsal posted:

I really liked that joke because of how fast paced it was. No exaggerated delay with contorting faces or pauses for laughter. Just Ed picks up a marble while asking for a mint, throws it in his mouth, Admiral says "those are marbles", and before he finishes his sentence, Ed spits it perfectly back into the bowl.

Man it feels weird being the target audience for a Seth MacFarlane show.

Alright yeah the timing is perfect, I'd just seen the joke too many times before.

Jeb! Repetition fucked around with this message at Sep 18, 2017 around 07:18

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Second episode was a lot better but it's not inconceivable to me that the third could end up being bad enough to sour someone's opinion completely.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The next episode's probably gonna be about Wortus' strangely gendered child so it's probably the one that made critics think the show was too preachy. Not that Star Trek shouldn't be preachy.

Azhais posted:

Definitely this (combined with CBS' streaming service). I can't think of any examples of a review embargo being "Our show is so amazingly awesome we want everyone to be surprised and delighted without being spoiled by reviews" instead of "Our show is so mindbogglingly bad we want to trick people into paying for a single month of our service to make a little money off of it before the reviews drive everyone away".

Personally I'm never going to subscribe to the CBS streaming service, and I got rid of all my infrastructure years ago and I'm not going to get it set back up for Star Trek so unless it appears on Netflix, Prime, or Hulu at some point I'll never see Discovery anyway. At that point the only reason I'd be "rooting for it to fail" is so maybe CBS says "Man, if Star Trek can't even get people to subscribe to our service maybe we should rethink it" (as if that'll happen).

Have you tried having your files infrastructure be a single program and a google search

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Am I the only one wondering if they're just going to leave the possibly thousands+ of prisoners in the zoo without a second thought or am I just not used to (mostly) non-serialization any more? TNG certainly left some episodes unintentionally hanging on some potentially troublesome notes. Maybe there'll be a throwaway line in another episode.

It's probably not going away but I'm skipping my way through anything that resembles the marriage drama in the zoo that was in this episode. The shuttle part was watchable but fuuuck anything that goes beyond that.

Didn't the zookeeper agree to trade the entire zoo for the reality TV for some reason? I figured that was why the child was free, to show it wasn't just the humans.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm really hoping the realization that their relationship simply couldn't work is gonna lead to them becoming friends who've truly forgiven each other and can work together on the Orville but they never fall back in love. If the show did that I'd forgive it for a lot.

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

In fact I think how they handle MacFarlane&Wife's relationship is gonna be a litmus test for whether he can be truly subversive like Roddenberry or he's just a fanboy ill-suited to helm this project. 99% of TV shows with this setup would end up having the two back together by the end. So MacFarlane has a chance to defy TV conventions and show something that's never shown, and present it in a positive way. Like, becoming friends isn't a disappointment, it's their happy ending.

But Seth MacFarlane is the kind of person who would have Peter say "Boy Lois, that's less likely than a straight man and a straight women being platonic friends" and then it cuts away to a humorous example of that failing to happen.

And if he doesn't do it what's the point of even having the relationship? How does it fit in with the high concept or purpose of the show? If it ends in them being reunited it'd just feel like something that was superfluous and obligatory, like the show had to have romance so here it is. And it'd go against the show serving as an example of future people dealing with their problems in healthy ways, because I can tell you from personal experience that getting back together with your ex is not healthy.

Pakled posted:

Yeah, I really hope their relationship settles on something fairly amicable but not romantic. If they keep pulling the will they/won't they crap indefinitely or if they actually get back together, though, that would suck.

A small amount of will-they-or-won't-they would be fine and maybe even help the setup for the subversion, but yeah, if they do get back together or keep hinting they will throughout the whole thing I might stop watching just because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb! Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Sinistral posted:

I'm pretty confident that no matter how bad Discovery is, it will at least be better then McFarlane's warmed over TNG self insert fan fiction.

EDIT: Also lol why am I not surprised that goons are lapping up the show starring a mediocre as gently caress white dude while actively wishing for the failure of the show led by two women of color

Lol

«4 »