Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DancingShade posted:

I hope this show succeeds and completely displaces the rest of the ST franchise so the kind of nerds who get upset over the color of Kirk's shirt threads or the number of windows on the Enterprise can freak out and collapse on the ground, frothing at the mouth in fury.

I'm one of those nerds though, but I also want this show to succeed.

Also I had no idea Norm MacDonald was gonna be in this!

Just keeps getting better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

So I know it's not supposed to be a completely 100% jokes all the time show but at the moment I feel like I'll like the pilot of Orville but any enjoyment I get out of the rest of the series (or, lets be real here because FOX, season) will be based entirely on how often the comedy relies on all those sci-fi cliche jokes we all know are used or how they are used. Comparisons to Galaxy Quest abound already but we already have the perfect example of how you can poke fun at a fanbase without being a jerk about it so you kind of already have to do at least that.

Also MacFarlane IS the fanbase so I don't think it'll go too far.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic from what I've heard. At least the ship doesn't look like a frisbee on a stick.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Test Pattern posted:

"I didn't mean it looked like a frisbee on a stick, I meant it should CHASE a frisbee Or a stick because it is a DOG."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Somebody, I think it may have been Brannon Braga, described it as closer in tone to M*A*S*H.

If that's the case, it could be fantastic!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Star Wars is garbage.

It should be hauled away as garbage!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I dreamed last night that I was a recurring but unimportant crew member on the Orville, like O'Brien on the first three seasons of TNG, and Seth MacFarlane was trying to defeat some aliens that were able to steal a few seconds of time from you, so they would ambush you while you were walking and from an outside perspective you would stay in the same spot but be in a different part of your walk cycle and trip over something. I remember as I was sitting around the conference table, even though I was the lowest rank there and a lot of people were involved, I felt like I was such an important part of history.

When you were at the conference table, did it remind you of a time when something else happened, that involved a pop culture reference?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

New tv spot with decent joke at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9E7RzTAiU

Should have done this spot in the first place.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

Raj's father got a promotion.

A shameful Star Trek fan...

Well I liked it. Very much Galaxy Quest: The Series.

But holy poo poo, how does he not get sued for ripping off TNG? Bortus sounds like Worf, the ship designs, uniforms, ship interiors all look like TNG, and the Krill are basically the Jem'hadar! But I'm fine with all that. Especially since we have Kassidy Yates and Dr. Bashir's father.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mycomancy posted:

I liked the pilot. The idea of a utopian society at the highest levels that has real humans populating it and running it has, in many ways, even more of an appeal than the Roddenberry-esque humanish characters in the TNG era. The fact that human characters that are flawed mistake makers can work to make a better place and explore the galaxy is really encouraging, especially given today's zietgeist.

Yep. For example, take the divorce poo poo. The strained relationship of former lovers being forced to work together again is very similar to Riker and Deanna, or their prototypes Decker and Illya. But while the ST versions consisted of chaste smouldering looks and Serious Discussions, the relationship between the Captain of the Orville and his XO is a lot more like the way people talk in real life in such a circumstance.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also IO9 has a hardon against the show and is going out of their way to write article after article proving it sucks--so therefore you know it in fact does not suck.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Actually Racist Robot works pretty well. In a MacFarlane comedy, you would expect him to run around shouting ethnic slurs, but that doesn't make sense in universe--why would a robot from another planet in the 25th century specifically hate only certain nationalities/groups of humans?

Here the joke is much more subtle, and his racism is in a more logical form--he thinks his species is superior to all biological life. The even more biting commentary is we've seen this before in a lot of scifi but it's not called out as racism. For example the Vulcans are pretty racist when you think about it. It was more overt in Enterprise, but always there.

So it works on a lot of levels.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zurui posted:

Holy poo poo. Is this show just accidentally what America wants right now?

CBS All Access: "Oh, poo poo."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gynovore posted:

CALLING IT: The next episode will include a reference to The Menagerie/The Cage.

"What are 'Things That Will Never Be Said About Discovery' Alex?"

"Correct!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ramadu posted:

Discovery was profitable last year when they negotiated the netflix deal. It was like several hundred million profitable as per the COO of CBS. This CBS app poo poo is just greed.

It's not about making more money off STD specifically; it's about getting subscribers to their digital platform.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the TNG crew are the blandest most boring motherfuckers in space. Barclay is the only one who isn't and he's the crazy person on the ship.

Picard playing noir detective seemed like fun at least. And Worf. I'd be into exercise too if my exercise was fighting orcs inside a volcano.

To be fair when TNG premiered, at least from my perspective as a kid, even just the Dixon Hill program seemed amazingly cool and novel. There wasn't much conception of the idea of "virtual reality" in mainstream popular culture yet.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Seth Mcfarland's best moment in the series so far is when that one bortus in episode 3 wanted to take Orville Bortus and Klyden on his ship and Mcfarland told him to gently caress off. That was the kind of captaining you can really get behind

What I love about this, and it's a small thing, is that for a lot of newer shows, they would "forget" the in-universe consistency for the sake of drama.

He told the Moclan to gently caress off, and said "look, you're part of The Federation Union same as we are! You can't just threaten us!"

Star Trek would absolutely go into legalize about The Federation that way. But I could see a lot of new shows not wanting to get bogged down in politics continuity and just way "yeah, have their planet threaten The Orville militarily, that'd be cool!"

And the viewers would be like "huh?"

This shows he's really thinking about the world he's building.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

30 Rock did a bit about Cosby before all that stuff about him came out.

Yeah, the whole thing about Cosby originally came out in a dude's standup act.

I can't hate on Seth for making that joke, because it was probably pretty risky for him to even do in Hollywood because it called out an open secret. Then again, when he started off the show with "We Saw Your Boobs" he was pretty much lighting his future show hosting career on fire, so he probably didn't give a poo poo what sacred cows he pissed off. I say good on him for daring to bring it up; it's too bad nothing was sparked from that 4 years ago.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snak posted:

I like how reminiscent it is of the TOS engine room. But yes, it is pretty cheap looking.

I hope that the show actually is as cheap as it looks, so there well be less incentive to cancel it.

I wss gonna say it looks like the TOS engine room skinned with TNG tech.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The Weinstein joke at the 2013 Oscars was on purpose and was his writing

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/...193451006431232

This is awesome!

I had speculated that this was what happened, but it's cool that indeed was the case. Seth.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Malloy rambling, and Mercer's awkwardness, made the episode for me. I finally got to watch it tonight and that was right in my wheelhouse for comedy. The incongruity of these two poor dopes who are competent enough at their jobs, but totally out of their element for infiltration, was played perfectly - for a show like this. It wasn't meant to be like Picard and Data showing up on Romulus, or Sisko, Odo, and O'Brien going with Worf to Q'onoS, although those were funny too. Part of the gag is that the Krill don't suspect anything immediately.

Definitely. Like all those times they'd just make poo poo up about the Krill religion, you expect them to get called out, but they don't.

When they'd say stuff like "We were praying to get rescued" you think the next line would be "WE DON'T PRAY, ONLY HEATHENS DO THAT!"

or

"I always read the Book for guidence" I was waiting for the priest to say "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, ONLY HIGH PRIESTS CAN READ THE HOLY SCRIPTURES!"

Instead every time it was "Ok, seems legit!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The admiral's line was something like "As societies develop interplanetary travel in general they tend to become less religious". I didn't think it read as catty, dismissive, or condescending.

That doesn't hold a candle to early TNG's smug 80s Roddenberry moralizing. About religion or anything. I was watching "The Outrageous Okana" just now and Picard and Troi are smugly going back and forth about how these people have such "primitive" and hard to understand morals about things like relationships, childbirth, Okana (allegedly) knocking up this guy's daughter, etc. It's like they are a ship full of Vulcans who don't understand human motivation.

And as an aside, crossposting from the Star Trek thread, that last scene with Data joking on the bridge was peak Orville!

But yet, the Orville isn't even always "Orville." I was thinking more about the end of that episode, and it was really, really dark. I think on Star Trek they would have had some way to incapacitate the crew and escape, or even bring the ship back full of prisoners. Mercer straight up murdered the hole crew except the teacher and the kids while he was allegedly on a mission to bring about peace. Sure, they were going to kill that colony, but he was awfully not broken up about it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rutibex posted:

They have brown up like 4-5 Krill ships so far on screen. All of those ships had crews too, and likely children.....

Yeah, but it's one thing to do it in battle, it's another to to do while on a peace mission undercover with a people we are presented as being basically human, just under a repressive theological belief system. I think in universe Mercer's decision was correct and presented as the only way. I think for the writers, it was just a different choice from what the TNG writers would have presented Picard, or any of the other captains for that matter.

I'm just not sure if that was intentional on Seth's part, and part of an overall arc, or just some light throwaway thing that doesn't matter in a parody show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

I'll be honest, lots of times I don't even notice which thread I'm in anymore. That goes for more than just trek/Orville threads... It's all metadiscussion with repeat patterns now.

Whatever you do, don't do an inverse tachyon pulse in any of the Trek/Orville/Discovery threads or we're all hosed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh my goodness this is amazing.

The Orville is literally his childhood dream coming to life. You don't usually get photographic proof of that.

He is basically the American/Star Trek version of David Tennant or Peter Capaldi.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

No scale models yet?

Where's the Technical Manual?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WampaLord posted:

"Drinking this much sugary water is illogical...but it tastes so good." says Joe Vulcan as he cracks open his next Coke.
\/

Su'gaar, son of T'wixx

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DoggPickle posted:

I feel like I have made it quite clear that I am in support of what Seth McFarlane is attempting to do with this series, and that my only reservations are both that the humor is not edited correctly to make it really HIT, and they are not ballsy enough to go full-frontal on the issues that that they are attempting to attack.

Both of these problems have been addressed in a myriad of ways since I expressed them, and I have actually changed my mind a little bit, in a way that gives the show a bit more slack, and I am I actually excited to see what happened next.

I am not, however, excited to know what the gently caress a new generation of SA Is thinking, because you are all stupid loving pieces of poo poo and I hope you all die before you manage to trick some girl into having sex with you.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Thank you for that.

You, and several others, are in the business of telling a queer person that them not liking that queer people always end up dead in fiction isn't okay, and that I should feel differently, and I just don't see how you justify that in your head.

What kind of person cannot stand the fact that I don't like a thing that always happens in fiction so badly as to move the goalposts all the way to "well you should only complain about the things I don't like."

It's deranged. It's demented. I'm allowed to not like a thing. I'm allowed to say I don't like a thing. But every time I do, there are a hundred people like you telling me that not only must I like the thing, but that my problem with it is somehow made-up.

And why do I give a poo poo what TV does with queer people? Because we get loving murdered for being ourselves, often, and people loving watch TV.

But take all that baggage, and throw it out of the equation. Take the fact that trans people are being actively drummed out of the military again and that this administration is openly hostile to queer people, and that for the first time since people started surveying this poo poo, Americans are more suspicious and afraid of queer people this year than last year and that the trend of our eventual acceptance into society at large now seems to be reversing itself and I just want to escape all that and watch sci-fi and not be reminded of it.

Take all of that away, and I am still allowed to not like a thing I saw on TV. You don't need to talk me out of not liking it.

And I'm getting clicks by posting on Something Awful? Do you know how insane you sound? That everybody who disagrees with you is doing it for money? I don't argue with people like you to change you. There is no changing you. I argue with you because people are witnessing it, and your lovely opinion about why it's okay to kill all the gay people on TV and in movies shouldn't go unanswered for all of them. It is exhausting, frustrating, and nobody's idea of a good time, and I'm sure as poo poo not doing it for clicks.

Y'know how this also could've gone?

"Bury your gays is a thing and Star Trek did it and I hated it." "Huh. Fair enough."

And then right now I could be talking about things I like about The Orville instead.

Nobody's saying you can't have your opinion. We're saying we don't agree with it and have our own. But when we say that, it's YOU who gets outraged and mad that we're so wrong.

The fact that this relationship and the death is done by gay actors and writers also might show that not even all queer people share your opinion...

quote:

Y'know how this also could've gone?

"I have an opinion and interpretation of something." "Huh. OK, we won't discuss it or disagree."

Sounds great.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's worth noting that the actor and writer say they're proud of it, but I wouldn't fall back on that as an absolute defense of the material either. If they didn't appreciate or approve of it, would they really feel free to say so?

Well I don't know much about the guy who played Doc Culber, but I wouldn't characterize Anthony Rapp as a guy afraid of Big Hollywood when it comes to speaking his mind.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

It wasn't even Star Trek's first same sex couple.

What? Next thing you'll try to tell me is that Discovery doesn't have the first black lead actor!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mycomancy posted:

Oh god I just realized that The Orville is dadrock Star Trek.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Measly Twerp posted:

The Expanse got cancelled because it was so boring that nobody watched it yet still obscenely expensive. The main cast were entirely forgettable for the first season except for that Indian lady with the husky voice who's name I can't even remember.

Look, I don't want to hate on something you enjoy just because I didn't personally like it, but lets not pretend that The Expanse didn't have problems.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Expanse is one of those shows that you check the DVR to see how much time is left and let out a groan no matter where it is on the timeline.

And I like the show, but holy hell it drags. Also the biggest actor is the Punisher and he's dead. Otherwise it's the husky voiced Indian lady and the guy who looks like the actor on The Tick but who isn't.

accord posted:

I like expanse just enough to care it got cancelled, but lol @ the first season for thinking I care about the goody two shoes bland dude with the cult birth bg when really I wanted husky voice lady and the pretty Southern boy brute

Holy poo poo I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was almost embarrassed to say I was bored by it. It's a show I wanted to like so bad, and it was kinda interesting, but never really hooked me. There are some shows that are just drat compelling from the get go, and this was not one of them. I guess I'll get to it someday, I mean it's on Netflix now, but it's not a show I look forward to, compared to Orville or even DISCO especially the 2nd half of the season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kurieg posted:

WE SEEK PEACEFUL COEXISTENCE
(neck throbs)

You know, after that happened, I bet the Trill got awfully nervous.

"Whoa whoa, don't go thinking we're like these guys, we're totally different heh heh."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hopefully Issac will have enough strength to do a greater share of pickle jar opening:

https://trekmovie.com/2018/06/26/or...s-halston-sage/

quote:

One person who has not been spotted recently on set in Los Angeles is actress Halston Sage, who played Alara in the first season of The Orville. She did show up for the PaleyFest panel in March and at the Fox upfronts in May, along with other members of The Orville cast. However, earlier this month it was announced she had joined the cast of the Netflix romantic comedy film The Last Summer, which has been in production in the Midwest over the last month.

At PaleyFest Sage did talk about shooting for season two, so she will appear in at least some episodes. And we know that Star Trek: Voyager actor Robert Picardo returned for the second episode of season two, again playing Alara’s father. However, clearly Sage cannot be in two places at once, shooting The Orville and The Last Summer in two different cities. So, it may be that her character will not appear for the entire second season. This may also be one of the reasons why Jessica Szohr joined the cast for the second season, playing a Xelayan security officer, like Sage’s Alara Katan.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mycomancy posted:

See, the thing is that there was no argument. I made no attempt to change my target's mind, because s/he will NEVER change his/her mind on this topic. My goal was to mock, belittle, and trash my target because I truely despise people like her/him. I believe I succeeded.

I voted for Trump. Come at me bro.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Covok posted:

It makes more sense when you consider that most people treat politics like a sport. As long as their team is winning their fine. It's a very strange thing, but it is how politics are done in America.

Actually, you can make a really good episode of the Orville about that. They treaded similar water with the episode about social media politics. They could do a great episode about a society where politics was literally a team sport and use it as a commentary on the United States politics system and two party system. That actually could be pretty loving good. I might actually write that because that can make a nice short story

That was literally how the Byzantines treated politics--the various factions were the fans of the different chariot teams. And it was deadly serious, with riots and gang warefare in the streets.

I think the Orville could do a killer episode on this; their biggest challenge would be making a commentary about our society in such a way that wasn't too similar to the social media episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Mighty quick turnaround time for a quip of that caliber.

Hey cut him some slack, he's posting from GBS in 2004.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I can't wait for this show to come back. I got an Alexa but changed the keyword to "Computer" so I want to see how often The Orville sets off the Alexa.

Having a Google Home and not being able to do this proves I live in the Discovery and not Orville universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

I think a big thing is discovery doesn't really know what it wants to be, while Orville out of the gate knew exactly what it wanted to be.

It feels a lot more like it has an identity, whereas discovery feels like a hodgepodge of things thrown together by different producers, writers, network executives, and stuff, trying to be deeper than it really is.

Well that's because Discovery didn't know what it wanted to be. The network wanted one thing, Fuller another, the new showrunners had yet another idea, and now they are gone.

I probably like Orville more overall, but I look forward more to DISCO, I know Orville will be solid and reliably good, but I'm interested to see where they go on DISCO without the shackles of the Fuller original idea, without the HARD MEN MAKING HARD CHOICES storylines, and seeing the Enterprise and Anson Mount's Pike,

«2 »