Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mental Hospitality posted:

I like boring sports. I will sit and watch 3 straight hours of baseball and be entertained, but goddamn if American football isn't the most drawn out snooze-festy sport of them all. And at least baseball has the decency to be aired on cable sports networks for most of the season.

This is like complaining about chess because the pieces only move once every few minutes or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I was kinda 'eh' on the 1st episode, really started enjoying the 2nd, and I loved the 3rd episode! I'd say the gender plotline was probably the best any Star Trek or Star Trek like show has represented a truly dividing issue. It didn't cheerlead, it wasn't transphobic, and the ending was really well done.

I'm actually super impressed.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DS9 basically already came out and said on multiple occasions that the holodeck is for loving. There was an entire episode about it, where Quark tries to make a holoprogram of Kira so an alien dude she turned down can bone her.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Great episode, great prank, meh ending.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Doggles posted:

This is such a Stargate solution.

:allears:

I thought the same thing and it made me laugh.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DaveKap posted:

It's funny how much this comes up but don't you think having an empath on the Bridge, the place where you're communicating with strange new alien life forms, is probably for the best?

It would be if she was shown as useful in any way.
:Alien screams at Picard, starts listing the ways it will destroy the Enterprise and all of the Federation:
Troi: 'Captain, I sense... anger.'

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Yeah, I watched The Orville live this week and other than sports, I haven't done that in years.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Snak posted:

The fact that a race is portrayed this way is the problem.

Trek has kind of a big hurdle in terms of depicting racism, when it also uses races as allegories for cultures. Like, so in the trek world, Ferengi represent toxic patriarchal capitalism. Okay, so are racists in the Trek universe justified then? Well of course not, because "not all Ferengi are like that" and then we're in "but stereotypes exist for a reason" territory.

Literally in terms of the show, he's "one of the good ones".

This is how Star Trek works. DS9 did a fabulous job showing that Ferengi culture and values were terrible, as a stand in for how overly capitalistic cultures and values are terrible in real life.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

angerbeet posted:

Oh, so they're going to move it around a bunch in the week and then cancel it?

If it wasn't Seth MacFarlane's baby, probably. But since it is, it might have a chance. And if the ratings hold for a few years, it may never be canceled and Fox might ride its corpse for decades.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

basic hitler posted:

Hey sorry for the football rant but I see people poo poo a brick over the world series pre empt their shows for sixh a brief period i feel like turnabout is fair play when football basically destroys TV for everyone who thinks football blows rear end to watch. At least the rest of baseball is more or less locked away om a cable channel that only broadcasts sport games.

Thursday night football is on CBS/NBC, the Orville is on FOX.
Also your complaint is hilarious, thanks.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I finally got around to watching this episode and I am in love. I'm getting optimistic SciFi. I'm getting tense situations. I'm getting really funny jokes(I had to pause when he yelled 'That is a new leg!' because I was laughing so hard). And best of all, I got just a bit of dark mixed in for shock value.

I hope this show gets seven years and they flush Discovery at the end of the season.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

But without the Bajorans, we wouldn't have the Cardassians.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

mycomancy posted:

I was super hesitant about The Orville until About A Girl. The last scene when Bortus puts a stuffed Rudolph into the baby's crib caused an emotional reaction in me, which I NEVER see Discovery doing.

Another thing: I care more about the characters in The Orville waaaaay more than I care about the characters in Discovery. I pointed this out to my wife in the car, she agreed with me, and then we were able to rattle off the names and a character summary for almost every main character in the show AND I was able to remember Klyden's name too. The only ones we could come up with on Discovery is Mikey Burns, Syliva "Total Sperg" Tully, and "Seriously Guys I'm Not A Pierson's Puppeteer See Only One Head And Two Legs" Saru. Anyone else seem to be able to do this?

Stolen from the Star Wars Prequel reviews, but describe the characters from either show without mentioning their physical appearance, clothing, occupation or end goals.
The Orville passes these fairly well(in most cases) STD fails on every character.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just watched it. I agree with many of the sentiments here about LaMarr not taking everything seriously enough, but overall enjoyed the episode and really enjoyed the not-so-subtle message of the show.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Rocksicles posted:

Respect if earned by having a difference of opinion and not hating someone for it. Respect isn't a points based system where you just click an arrow like on reddit... oh i see what i did there.

:whitewater:

Edit: Also, STD is bad.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I really liked this episode. Isaac throwing away and blowing up the game and his line about never speaking about the game again made me laugh pretty hard, and the shuttle crash was tense in a way that Trek has never managed.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

WampaLord posted:

:same:

This was a great episode, seeing Isaac use Dr. Finn's words towards her kids was hysterical. And it was great that her kids behaved like real kids and not weird little emotionless perfectly behaved robots like most kids shown in TNG.

Agreed. Kids will be shits in the future, just like people in general. And the older boy realizing how terrible he was being and telling his mom sorry made me tear up a bit.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

I thought her kids were over the top and reminded me of how so many times when black single mom's are shown having boys they're always these totally violently uncontrollable shits because obviously without a strong father figure kids can't grow up right. Thats been a lovely media trope for a long long time. I just finished watching Vice Principals and it's the exact same situation, single black mom who's a respected professional but has totally out of control hosed up kids because that's just how kids obviously get without a strongdad. It felt like they were presenting her choice to be a single mom as a mistake because look, she's totally over her head can't control her kids at all, this is what you get for trying to have a career and kids without a man. Luckily a strong robodad stepped in and taught those kids to respect their mom and stop screaming and hitting each other for 2 seconds.

I like this show and I liked this episode but the whole "exhausted black single mom can't control her kids who are broken and acting out because they don't have a strong father figure" has been so over used for decades. I'm totally over-analyzing things but it's an actual long time problem in media.

The best parent/child relationship in scify is by far on DS9 between Sisko and Jake. That feels like a real relationship, they have their ups and downs but there's this genuine love and respect you don't often see pulled off. You see how being a 1-parent family has affected them and it's all so believable. Also at the end of DS9 Avery Brooks was ADAMANT that Sisko say he was coming back because Cassidy Yates (The Orville's Penny Johnson) was pregnant and he did not want the trope of the hard done by black single mom yet again.

All kids do this. My nephews are shits, I was a poo poo, kids(when they are comfortable and not being nice for company) are shits. And the kids didn't start acting better because of Isaac, the younger one was frightened and the older boy stopped acting up when he heard the playback from Issac about how terrible he sounded towards his mom. Then he apologized to his mom.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

My siblings and I just bickered and fought using words, until we grew old enough to realize how terrible we were acting.
But that was my point: what The Orville showed was bratty kids acting like bratty kids, not an attack on 'single black mothers' as the earlier poster suggested. And at least these kids stopped being annoying and stepped up when they were in danger, as real kids would.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Well, I'm glad that is over. And at least we can all agree on the superiority of miles over kilometers.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I personally like to live simple, so I use knots to measure my landspeed.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Same, I talked to a bunch of people about the Orville last night and how it was a really good show(and to skip the pilot). They seemed interested in a show that was very 90's Trek.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I thought this episode was funny, and that the blue guy was an rear end in a top hat. Do we really need to psychoanalyze it deeper than that?

It was literally The Naked Now, with jokes.

Edit: Maybe more Fascination.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 10, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I think we can all agree that at bare minimum, blue Rob Lowe was being an rear end in a top hat, since he spent time around humans and could see his effects on them. But at least he realized his idgaf attitude toward his pheromones almost killed millions of people. Still a mega-rear end in a top hat though.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Also, Orville episodes sometimes feel a bit rushed at the end. Like 'oh poo poo, we only have 5 minutes to wrap this up.'
This episode gave me that feeling. 'We just whipped up a stronger version of the pheromone we discovered 5 minutes ago and fixed everything, the end.'
I wish each episode was given another 10 minutes to breathe a bit. But considering the sheer number of commercials nowdays, that may not be possible.

Edit:

Azhais posted:

Let's just all admit that given the opportunity we'd all gently caress Rob Lowe, blue or not, and move on

I'd probably be down.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Phylodox posted:

Sure this kind of stuff exists in our reality. If a woman is roofied, but someone other than the person who roofied her has sex with her, is it still rape? I’d argue that it is, but who’s culpable? The roofier or the person who actually had sex with the victim? It is complicated. It’s all kinds of hosed up, which is why The Orville handling it with a wink and a nod is so unfortunate. The episode doesn’t invite any further thought or discussion, that’s all we, the viewers, bringing it to the table.

Ugh.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mods, please change my name to Sexual Communism

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'd say the only really offensive thing is giving super sexy drugs to the ambassadors, and even that was an attempt to stop a war. All of the terrible poo poo blue Rob Lowe did was always shown as bad, just not in as strong terms as some in this thread wanted.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Phylodox posted:

I would drop this show so fast if that actually happened.

If he goes to Claire and apologizes for a situation that he didn't have any idea about, and they start a relationship based on that, how is that bad?
Again, all Yaphet knew was that the lady he had a crush on was interested. She wasn't visibly drunk or high. What did he do that was wrong?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Aleph Null posted:

I think this is the point of the show.

And it is nice not being :techno: into a last minute solution all the time(ahem Voyager, looking at you).

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jazerus posted:

to me it comes down to, did the episode's tone come off as very creepy and definitely against derulio, or as comedic? i definitely felt that it was more of a horror episode, but if someone felt it was more the latter then i could understand thinking it was a tone-deaf episode

This is a point I made earlier: Nobody gave Derulio a :thumbsup:, and after everything was said and done, they told him to GTFO and not come back. Sometimes TV doesn't have a happy ending, and they just wanted to get rid of the creepy rear end in a top hat now.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nazis are freaking out about Star Trek because there a bunch of them now(and our poo poo president supports them) so people are paying attention to them. Plus social media is a horrible cancer that makes everything worse.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

They have replicators, so they likely eat whatever they want, like steaks or cacti.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Good question. But, it's one you wouldn't ask if you'd ever met a die-hard consumer of all-natural, free-range, certified-organic, artisanal meats and other foods. I can totally see humanity devoting entire planets to "naturally" raising livestock so that the meat that they eat is as natural as galactically possible. Hell, it might even go full-circle and they go back to standard, 20th century factory-livestock farming methods to get that "authentic" 20th century hamburger flavor, seeing as how this society has no pop culture post 2017, and how they're obsessed with 20th/21st century culture.

Replicators make sense on a ship, where storage and preparation of meat becomes a major strain on systems. But, on Earth, I bet they're eating GMO cowpigs that by themselves can provide most of the ingredients of a delicious bacon cheeseburger... except for the fancy folks who only eat bacon cheeseburgers made with large-herd, grain-fed cattle, American processed cheese, and bacon made from actual pigs that are raised in pig "farms" with cages and concrete floors.

I honestly doubt it. It seems like a lot of work and effort for no gain.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Replicators are magical future tech, please don't try to fit them logically into the present, as it is stupid.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Neophyte posted:

So in the Orville-verse the replicator can transport food/drinks/drugs/stuff etc but they don't have people-transporter tech, correct?

Or do they and I missed it?

That is correct, and it is a good story plot device. Transporters are the bane of story telling and are the cause of roughly half of Star Trek technobabble, usually involving why they won't work.
The other half of technobabble being strange stellar phenomenon of course.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Phylodox posted:

Sick burn from a rape apologist.

Everyone who liked the last Orville episode is a rape apologist, is that what I am reading?

Edit for content: The episode tonight is Firestorm:
A fire breaks out on the ship, and a crew member dies; Alara questions her fitness for the job; unusual things start happening on the ship.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 16, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

WampaLord posted:

She's B'Elanna Torres you nerds. Just security instead of engineering.

Except B'Elanna's only character trait was 'is super mad, a lot'.
Also, I liked this episode, it was really good.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Polaron posted:

I just want to know whose fear caused the alligator Bortus had to crush.

Regardless, it is crushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Stolen from the GBS thread:
Seth MacFarlane and The Orville writing team talk at Google

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N54eNGRDH8

Seth mentions at the end that the tone has been more drama than comedy lately and that audiences like it, so the slightly more serious tone should be sticking around.