Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
That trailer fills me with equal parts dread and hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Paradoxish posted:

There are a million ways I expect this show to gently caress up, but this isn't really one of them.

A Million Ways To gently caress Up In Space

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Excuse me, I got on the Seth Macfarlane ride expecting there to be poopy sex fart jokes with punchlines that end in baby corpses. I think I'd like my money back.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there any stuff that gets into the Eugenics War or is it just left at "a war related to eugenics happened."

It's really just talked about and never shown, which is a shame cause it sounds like really exciting stuff. The closest I think they ever come is the first episode with Q's trial and First Contact, but both those happen long after the Eugenics Wars themselves.

There's a couple novels that delve into different ideas about it, but you know, novels.

You can make up your own events though. For instance, you can choose to believe that Mad Max takes place in the Star Trek universe.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Bob's Burgers > American Dad > Cleveland Show > Family Guy

Come on Macfarlane...come on Macfarlane pull a victory out of your rear end and don't be bad...turn it around by episode 6...

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Vehementi posted:

Got my expectations waaaaaaaay up there Morty

We came up with a new kind of television writing. It's capable of disappointing things way up inside you.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I like the incidental music. When it fades in and out has the same timing as TNG.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

There needs to be some work done on the jokes and the timing of said jokes

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Character 1: I was afraid to use open channels for fear of what this could mean. It could tip the balance in anyone's favor but we can't keep technology like this a secret forever.
Character 2: You were working all the time, and he was always there for me even when you weren't. What I did was horrible and I can't forgive myself or blame you.
Character 3: Wooo! Gettin' drunk before noon buddy! Gotta take a piss! Uh oh, just did! Haha! Good thing everyone in space is wearing a diaper. What? No one? Just me. Haha!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

My last captain said we could have soda on the bridge. Is it okay if we still do that?

I really like that bit even though it's not really a joke. Feels like something I'd say if I were in Starfleet.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I like this better than Farscape so I think it deserves to live

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Expecting professionalism in a post-scarcity world always seemed kind of impossible in my brain for Star Trek. Most of your citizens I'd imagine would spend all day on their version of the internet or screwing around in holosuites so it's kind of refreshing to see that translated into the down to earth less serious attitudes in Trek The Orville.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Nullsmack posted:

I'm hoping they're going to reveal that people are professional on other ships and it's just this ship that is so unprofessional at everything. That'd be kinda neat to show that it's not just how the show is, but it's because the Orville is crewed by mostly bottom of the barrel people. Maybe provide some room for them to grow as well.
I'm interested to see where the rest of the season goes.

Yeah I get the impression that it's the Orville that's not the norm. If Kelly had to beg higher ups to throw away a ship on her ex husband then they'd probably give him the same caliber of ship as the sub from Down Periscope. I meant to say it's refreshing to see that scrubs and washouts still exist in...uh...Starfleet? What's the name of their nation/navy?

Imagine a ship full of Barclays.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

"Aren't your species incredibly racist?"

That's a really natural thing to say and a subtle way of introducing a character trait

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

How! posted:

Seth mcfarlane is way too fat and old for this role.

But grandpa Tom Cruise gets to be in the Mummy and bang a 29 year old

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

In Dr Who the Sontarans are a slave-species made entirely of cloned males...
:goonsay:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I liked it in Forever War though.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Hannibal in Space, sign me the gently caress up :madmax:

Nobody at CBS saw a Hannibal episode before so when the first Discovery episode was cosmic penises ejaculating in slow-motion to violins they started panicking.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Say what you will, that was an interception of a lifetime.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

The jokes are getting better.

Chekov's Pot Brownie, I'm calling it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

That was a glorious twist.

edit: double twist, even better

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

The critics are up their rear end cause that was good fun sci-fi.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Trek does do that, but they tried so hard to make it look like future clothes that it was weird and jarring.

Gentlemen, return to the oven. You're not done baking yet.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Every character in Star Trek is a 20th century historian in some niche western cultural thing. I think it must have been a required elective in Federation high school.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I was hoping Bortus was going to give an inspirational speech to Kitan about how Captain Mercer was inspired to lead his crew by the great amphibian leader Kermit the Frog.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

BBT is actually a nerd power fantasy, but more blatant about it than Star Trek

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

HardKase posted:

Wait. This isn't a joke. That is so great on so many levels.

Upcoming episode directed by Riker too :peanut:
How hard has CBS dropped the ball?

Edit: I guess he's directing an episode of Discovery too?
And he did direct Sub Rosa :sadpeanut:

vermin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 19, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Jonathan Frakes has been directing TV shows for ages now. A bunch of TNG and Voyager actors got into directing.
Also, come on, you're going to blame the episode director for Sub Rosa?

Gynovore posted:

I read somewhere that people didn't get to pick the episode they directed.

Yeah you're right I should give him more credit. But it's like having some weird unsavory sounding thing listed on your resume.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Comrade Fakename posted:

I loving love Star Trek. I'm just not impressed at a warmed-over rehash that doesn't seem to understand what makes Trek great. And unlike many in this thread, I don't jizz myself over a beige corridor.

Prepare to hear my dissertation on Star Trekkin' Across the Universe and how it fails to live up to the series of its namesake

'I had not jizzed for a considerable length of time and though I hold my jizzing at a higher standard than most...'

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Accretionist posted:

This is an extension of my general distaste for 'running into doors'

You kick open doors. The shoulder's a crap joint. It is not suitable to battering.

Wrong. You open doors by shooting the control panel with a blaster.

Alternatively, you sometimes close and lock doors by shooting the control panel with a blaster.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I really liked the look of their homeworld. I'm a sucker for industrial hellscapes and cultures/species dedicated to war.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

In no way does she take 90% of the blame, she has been very clear that Mercer's workaholism severely strained their relationship.

It's clear he spent the majority of his career trying to get a ship but he just wasn't talented, smart enough, or competent enough.

He ruined what was clearly a loving relationship by chasing a dream he was always going to lose. In the end I think it's less that she's blaming herself for putting the bullet in the head of a dying relationship and more that she pities him as much as she loved him. She couldn't make him a whole person through a relationship but she could get the Union to give him what would, a captain's chair.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

Wait, what? Doesn't the admiral say in the very first episode that he was a rising star and only got sidelined for command because he turned into a total gently caress up after his divorce?

Edit- Yeah, I just double checked and this is a total misread of Mercer's character. When the admiral is giving him command of the Orville he tells him that everyone was sure he'd be in command of a heavy cruiser before 40 until he went off the deep end over the last year.

poo poo, that's what I get for only watching the episodes once. And only really half watched that that.

I completely forgot he was a rising star. I just remember he was a workaholic and that he always wanted command but never got it so I just assumed the Union thought he was inherently wrong for the position for his failings.

vermin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 24, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

In the next two-part Orville episode premiering tonight, Ice T and Soledad O'Brien lead an investigation into the unsolved murders of hip hop legends Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I liked it, even though I wasn't aware it was on today. I expected it on Sunday but when I saw the Orville thread blowing up I figured I missed a Fox schedule change.

Loved it! I realized though that looking at Isaac in 3/4's view makes his eyes look off center and it bugs me.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Whoever came up with the initial trailer needs to be given a different assignment, cause this show ended up being a lot better than it first looked to me.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Henry David Emerson...

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

He's a British robot obviously :rolleyes:

I was expecting Mercer to respond, "No, I think it's an elevator."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

WhiteHowler posted:

I feel like half the critics are determined to hate anything Seth MacFarlane does, and the other half are disappointed that it's not Family Guy in Space.

A lot of goons too, which is too bad :(. It's that loving awful trailer that makes it look like an aborted Adam Sandler film. Chances are they're not going to see the episodes and just assume it's bad. The Orville's out there though for the public, and I doubt the majority of people give a poo poo what critics have to say these days.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

That's our Fox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

Amazon has the first season DVD set for pre-order.

And this:

:eng101: The United Planets are Earth's space nation in the movie The Forbidden Planet which was a direct inspiration for Star Trek