Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Jesus it just doesn't stop.

"Margaret Thatcher rekt people on stage so I decided to listen."
Okay, fair enough.
"THE MUSLIMS ARE TAKING OVER THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE CATASTROPHE"
And I love the that that those two incidents are together on the loving site. That's some serious whiplash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

VideoGames posted:

I also had no idea how amazing a singer Scott Grimes is and his episode involving the time capsule was absolutely stunning. He knocked that so far out of the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wltTIJiIBiw

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

8one6 posted:

The modiphius Star Trek game is pretty good. It wouldn't be hard to reskin some of the adventures to Orville proper nouns. As far as comedy there has never IMO been a tabletop game that delivered on what you'd want from a "comedy tabletop game" that you could use outside of whatever baked in setting it comes with.

I mean, yeah.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Strawman posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress. Not only do your friends steal their kids' presents, but this has happened enough times with enough friends that you just accept it? :psyduck:

Nerds like that exist and they are generally embarrassing people. I had someone in a board game group who refused to miss board game night because he wanted to play his new game of twilight imperium that he missed the birth of his firstborn. And I was the only one who thought that was hosed up.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Iron Crowned posted:

Wojtek moved on from WoW I see

in general that's kind of how the hardcores are. Another person in that group used to brag about how his daughter was into video games because she would sit on his lap and watch him play crusader Kings II all the time(2000+ hours and counting) and it really felt like, to me at least, that his daughter was just looking to spend time with her dumb dad who didn't want to look away from video games enough to take his kid out for some ice cream or something. It didnt help that I managed to visit during this happening and it was basically just them in the same room not speaking to each other while she read her books or colored or whatever.

I've met a lot of really terrible nerds though and it really soured my perception on geek/nerd fandom being obsessive loners who are generally nice but too weird for mainstream people. Then I started playing tabletop RPGs and it went into the dumpster. I remember meeting a 40 year old who liked to tell us all the younger girls he hired for his job were "sexy" with "amazing tits" and other things and then I found out they were fifteen and then I just couldn't play Magic: The Gathering with him anymore.

The evolution of perception was like this:

Nice people with weird bizarre timewasting hobbies like learning klingon or charting stars for fun. obsession with space and sci-fi will eventually make them into astronauts or bigshot sci-fi writers or engineers or something - > Actually many of them will probably just be average joes, a good chunk of them will turn their nerd hobbies into academic careers where they'll be huge dorks in their off-time and whatever, you know, like a linguistics professor who tells a worried student that she's on the right track and when she's leaving he notes she has a starfleet logo on her purge and is like "oh, and...Qapla'!(success/good luck)" and then she asks if he's a trekkie and he gives her a wry smile and says nothing - > actually a shocking amount of them are going to be disgusting, obese, racist shitheads. lots of them will cling to things like "I played a lot of video games because I was a mouthy shithead in school and thus had no friends, therefore I'm a GAMER and that's an IDENTITY." - > same as before, but also a lot of them will use the fact they had no friends to pretend that they were actually the first thing, to the point where they will justify hosed up poo poo. They're just smarter than everyone else, who are stupid, and also harassing them by calling the cops on their poo poo behavior. They will spend no time learning new skills, will likely end up in dead-end jobs and living in lovely, cheap apartments with cat and dog poo poo all over the floor surrounded by funko pops playing videogames and screaming on the internet. When I meet trekkies in real life it's a gamble - a big one - that going into their house it's not going to smell of dried cum and poo poo, male or female. I've lost every time with the females.

I mean it's not even the verbal poo poo, it's the people that are just completely fine with being absolutely disgusting to the point where it began to make my skin crawl. Went to a geek girl's house once - weird stains on the carpet. She gives me a soda, later, I knock it onto the carpet. "Oh poo poo where's your kitchen? We gotta get this out now!" "Why bother? It'll just dry out anyway. Now come here." And then we made out while I stared in abject horror as my coke can poured out onto the carpet. I've never quite forgotten that...

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Aleph Null posted:

drat. That sure is something. Didn't even pick up the can? I have no words.

Yeah neither did I. Don't worry, the other stains were from cat puke. "it just dries out and then you scrape it off!"

PT6A posted:

Not being able to make rent because you spent your money on stupid nerd poo poo or creeping on teenagers is, uh, pretty goddamn different from enjoying a dadjoke wordplay like CheeseBorger or going to the Harry Potter thing and pretending to be a wizard or whatever.
edit: this story is too depressing to keep around

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 16, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Am I the only not really interested in an Orville walkaround game like that? The sets are more placid and boring than even the Enterprise-D and none of them stand out at all except maybe the one with the spiral staircase.

shame on you

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
thank god they mentioned the interracial kiss and thank god they didnt mention what a toilet the overall episode was

TOS was always so weird because all of the episodes that tackled contemporary issues were just loving bizarre, like the race issue randomly stating the two half-colors had been chasing each other for fifty thousand years or how one of them just controls the ship with his mind

dont get me started on turnabout intruder

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Pakled posted:

One of my "favorite" side-stories to the ongoing internet culture war for the soul of nerd-dom is the rehabilitation of the star wars prequels among people who are desperate to say the problem with the sequel series is too many women and minorities.

my favorite thing is people pretending that entertainment is like the west wing. I know many film industry people and there's no "war" besides that for audience bucks.

You'll see some idiot go to a creator and be like "Hey there, (Reboot of thing I like that I claim is bad because I think it's woke) sucks, right?" and they'll respond with "Nah it looks cool, dont have time to watch but I'm impressed with what i've seen etc" and the kiddies will S C R E A M that said creator is an SJW for not wanting to attack people he's never met and burn bridges with studios he might one day work for.\

This also adds in the "actually literally everyone in entertainment is a hardcore, foaming at the mouth conservative but they cant say anything because they'll get fired" types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

pixaal posted:

I didn't watch BSG until it was in the final season and caught up just before the finale in my first watch. As a binge the quality dip isn't super noticeable. Watching the movie specials adds a ton of tedium other than that youtube one where they can't stop dropping wrenches just as someone is about to swear. (and that's just more funny)

I just streamed it two months ago and season 4, especially the second half was such a content whiplash I have permanent neck damage