Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Beachcomber posted:

The Bajoran religion has the benefit of being verifiably true.

And yet, it is still the dumbest religion ever depicted in Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Azhais posted:

I watched half of the first season of the last ship solely because I'm a Rhona Mitra fan and that wasn't enough to keep me watching. Not all that trek-y, it's a post virus apocalypse trying to find a cure show (so I suppose they're on a ship and doing away missions for supplies but eh). I've watched exactly none of the Brave, and only assume that's what he's talking about because a) it's new and b) it's about SEALs, and c) he said navy propaganda show

Nah it's because the Last Ship is basically the TOS formula but on a Navy boat. Captain on away missions; below decks engineers/master sergeants on B-plots; highly unadvisable fraternization between crew members; wacky "alien" (read: civilian) cast members who join the crew and are the best characters; technobabble style ticking clock plots; mary sue hot female characters that are both diplomats, polyglots, and hardcore commandos; seemingly unlimited missiles...

It is basically a deconstructed star trek with Michael Bay action aesthetics.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Yeah I was that way as a kid. Both parents worked and we figured out pretty quick that they weren't creative enough to punish us in ways we couldn't just shrug off. Once when I was couch-bound with strep throat my little brother would randomly smack me with a ruler just as I was falling asleep. Luckily for me he eventually broke his leg, and was equally as helpless... :unsmigghh:

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I found this online. Rotten Tomato scores are bullshit for all sorts of reasons but it's still pretty funny that the critics hated this show but the audience had the exact opposite opinion. :v:

Also I guess we should take the audience score for Discovery with a huge pinch of salt given the whole misogyny/racism backlash thing.

Discovery is a bunch of high quality ingredients (good actors, sets, special effects) prepared poorly by people who didn't really think things through, and is loved in the same way that food at an over-priced restaurant is loved (i.e., by people with more money than taste). The Orville is what Gordon Ramsay puts together with ingredients from the average kitchen - amazing, and it really makes you think about the possibilities for wonder waiting inside the mundane.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
loving "hobo clowns are the most dangerous because they're hungry." I'm sorry but if you don't like the jokes on this show you need to take a long look in the mirror.