Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

A 7 year old kid loved his robot dad so hard he saved the Galaxy

And it was great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SpeakSlow posted:

Back to the topic at hand: that was some fantastic pew-pew and stakes-raising and makes me comfortable placing Orville side-by-side with the best Trek series.

I'm going to go ahead and say that the entire space battle reminded me in the best way of Star Wars, including the music. Whoever's composing for this series is excellent.

I'm not even mad that I was totally wrong with the "it's a simulation" theory. The actual episode was way better.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the "you like me, you really like me" speech at his going-away party

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Donovan Trip posted:

"Hey baldy! You wanna buy a toupee?" Is stuck in my head. It's bafflingly bad yet perfect for Norm

easily the most emotional moment of the episode was when Yaphit got injured :cry:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think it'd be cool if insteat of having the Kaylons be the new Big Bad, we hear nothing from them until like season 4, when the Union gets a message from Kaylon about how the post-genocide Kaylons rose up against the pre-Genocide ones, and are now legit interested in joining the Union. Be a lot of good tension over figuring out if they're sincere or not.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

I really enjoyed that episode and the First Contact-style combat too but I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more of a twist than the kinda-expected Isaac change of heart. The time and space situation for Federation space is also confusing. So the Kril can warp to earth with their entire fleet in about 15 minutes? So can anyone else, I guess -- the Cylon fleet was only intercepted by one ship on its way.

Not all of it makes sense but it is reasonable that the Union fleet, which is mostly focused on exploration, would be all over the place and take a long time to fully-recall. It's likely the fleet we saw at Earth was just a small fraction of the total fleet.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Seriously, how is the family guy takeoff of TNG the place i see one of the sexier space battles I've seen in a while?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_Sgcxg5PQ

This series appears to have been Seth's wet dream since he was a kid, so I'm glad he's making the effort to have it kick rear end

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tin can made man posted:

The biggest gently caress off warship warps in, sleek and dangerous; the killer whale of the cosmic ocean, it rips through the enemy fleet with an elegance in violence and volume of brutality which leaves all onlookers speechless

D'ann, cheerily glancing out of a porthole: Hey, that's my mom's/people's ship I think :kiddo:

a real missed opportunity IMO

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Norm: I'll do a show with you but a) I'm just doing me, not a character, b) I want to look like the most unfuckable alien you can think of and c) despite being hideous I want to be the one who gets with the most crew members
Seth: :haw:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

-The Kaylon do seem to behave emotionally.
-They claim to be superior but have no qualms about destroying life because all biologicals have the same traits as humans. A logical fallacy that makes them worse than us morally.

Theory :

Each Kaylon is infused with or built on top of a biological consciousness. That's their big secret and weakness. There could be a farm of biological beings that they cull consciousnesses from and then dispose of the remains. Isaac is probably unaware of this, maybe most Kaylon are unaware. The farm could be on another planet or moon. Primary's real disdain for organics comes from his hatred of being unable to gain Kaylon consciousness without use of a living soul. An impurity.

I like this, but as dark as the show has gotten, this is pretty dark

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

The Orville-E?

It looks exactly the same as the old one, it just has that new spaceship smell.

It would be hilarious if at some point they get a new Orville and it's exactly the same, and the only nod to it the entire show is when new people enter the bridge and comment on the new spaceship smell

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean if they scanned human history it's pretty blatant that robots with red eyes tend to be scary and evil in movies and poo poo, so it makes sense their emissary would have more neutral/friendly-ish eyes, I think.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

On tonight's Simpsons, they took an odd jab at The Orville.

Homer takes Comic Book Guy's vintage car and scratches the paint to which CBG replies, "I gave you the USS Enterprise and you returned with The Orville" while pointing at the scratch.

lol the simpsons really knocking it out of the park in the last 20 years

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Issac: Do not worry, I will use my head lasers to destroy the Krill
*AIR HORN AND STROBE LIGHTS*
Malloy : Oooooh man, I didn't think that prank would save our asses.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Whalley posted:

She's confident in what she does; she doesn't question her actions, literally her first conversation has her confidently saying "yes I hit my old captain no he didn't know it was happening yes I'd do it again because I knew it was what needed to happen." Her confidence is explicitly what separates her from Alara, it's why it was the first character trait we were shown, and since then she's repeatedly shown confidence in her actions and choices. She doesn't just 'do tasks' and I feel like you're actively looking for reasons to hate her by saying that.

She's a romantic because for a first date with an interspecies person she chose a neutral ground of a culture neither one was familiar with, was _stupid_ charming, and wept over him instantly, getting passionate about this person she just met. These aren't accidental things that "just happened" - Seth is in love with classic hollywood romance and he chose these things for a reason. She doesn't need to be swanning around with bouquets of roses to show that she's a romantic person. She also gets involved with other people's romantic issues - see her having girl time and talking about boys, because Romance Is An Interest Of Hers.

You not acknowledging personality doesn't mean there's no personality to be seen.

Strong, confident :females:? in MY sci-fi?!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BBC America owns because it's supposed to be British shows but 99% of the time when I tune into it they're doing a marathon of either TNG or the X-Files

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm surprised nobody's either created a new channel or re-branded an existing channel with "look, we're not even gonna pretend to have a theme any more, we're just gonna show you whatever poo poo we think you'll watch."

Fxx did it when they rebranded as "6 days of 24hr Simpsons and 1 day of action movies," they really ran with it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Red posted:

Disagreed; Grayson is confident while displaying actual personality and having conversations and relationships. Talla, by comparison, is a type of character, while having no discernible character of her own. I’m happy to be proven wrong by character development, but you seem to be inserting things where nothing exists.

nah he's actually right about all of that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Donovan Trip posted:

It was pretty obvious the moclan lover episode was mapped for alara (talla throws at bortus the gender reassignment when she wasn't even on board for it), her departure from the show was not planned on. A show this complex has so many moving parts for planning- everything from budgetary planning to minor story arc details. The easiest solution was to plop in a new xelayan. Of course they'll develop her in season 3 if alara doesn't return, because this show cares about character development.

Unintentional or not, I'm trying to imagine Alara in that episode and it just doesn't work as well

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

It doesn't exactly work with Tharl either :shrug:

EDIT:

Now that I think about it, Tharl is that guy who keeps falling upward because nobody actually wants him around :smith:

not sure how that dude relates to any of this?

Powered Descent posted:

Hypothesis on the origin of the term "13-button salute":

Traditional sailor pants in the US Navy have a 13-button fly.

In other words, it is a :dong: joke.

seems needlessly complex and wasteful AKA standard for the navy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Because he was the interim security chief between Alara and Talla?

this actually brings up a decent point re: how abrupt was Alara's exit. If it was totally out of the blue, it seems weird that they would have time to incorporate Tharl and his scenes in but fall back onto "we wrote this all for a Xelayan woman" later on, even if Seth does probably have Patrick Warburton on speed dial.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I wonder how many of their creators' buildings they kept around because they were nice.

the bannisters, at least

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It was a good concept in terms of "seemingly friendly race turns psycho towards the crew over something arbitrary" but it's pretty tough to present "our entire world is based on astrology" and not raise questions like "you guys understand the concept of visual perspective right?"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

seaborgium posted:

Those kind of make sense, since gamer chairs are like cheap knock off's of actual chairs for a place you might expect turbulence. Probably a lot cheaper and easier to get than actual chairs designed for flight so I've always just thought it worked.

I don't think they would need fancy fighter pilot chairs - do they ever show actual in-flight turbulence except from weapon impacts or crazy stunts like Gordon getting the shuttle away from the Kaylon?

The gamer chairs were a little strange at first since I had just gone to Staples that day and they had the same chairs on sale. But honestly I'm struggling to think of what else they could do. If you google "futuristic chairs" all the results are either uncomfortable-looking showpieces, or those gamer chairs.

Also I hate that they're "gamer" chairs, you see that style in a ton of places:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yes, gamer culture is cancerous, I agree.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Azhais posted:

Gaming chairs were based off racing chairs, not the other way around

yeah, that's why it's annoying to me when people call them gaming chairs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I didn't even know Dark Horse still existed tbqh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat, that was the most TNG episode of the show yet. Good poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ted Danson is a god damned blessing on everything he touches

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

That was basically a holophonor you pluck instead of blow there

lol my wife immediately shouted "omg it's a holophonor" at that scene

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Taear posted:

I'm floored that people aren't offended by it, it'd be a proper weird thing to say here. Like if you said bird, people would think you were from the 1980s.

This is what I thought too, "why are they making the room just nitrogen??"

I would be more offended by someone saying "proper weird" than "chick" IRL, to be honest (unless I was in the UK)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They've done Orville references before. The one I saw was Chris turned on the TV and The Orville was on and he started yelling "OH LOOK SETH MACFARLANE THINGS HE SHOULD BE A STARSHIP CAPTAIN INSTEAD OF DOING HIS loving JOB THAT PAYS EVERYONE'S BILLS" or something to that effect while staring down Peter, Peter looks guilty and responds (in not Seth MacFarlane's voice) "I agree with you Chris"

:chloe:

I don't even know how much he's involved in that show anymore. Is Mila Kunis still voicing Meg? Didn't she very conspicuously sit out Ted 2 for Reasons That Had Nothing To Do With Seth?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah she's still voicing Meg, the only voice changeover(assist from Chabert) I know of is Peters Boss who was Carrie Fisher, and Adam West.

Also somebody please explain the emoji to me. What is it a reference to. What is it's sentiment supposed to be. I see it used all over the place but always seems to be in slightly different contexts

It's a general yikes/wtf reaction. It's from a video where a mom tells her 2 kids they're going to Disneyland, and the older one is freaking out but the younger one (Chloe) makes this face https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/side-eyeing-chloe

I use that and :wtc: pretty interchangeably.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It would have worked if that was Peter's voice for the entire episode with no explanation or reaction from the characters, and that specific joke was the very end of the ep.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

nah, the real funny joke would have been 20 minutes of setup for a single gag, thats what really should have happened. i mean, the show sucks and is bad, but i'll just punch up the jokes a bit to appeal to my evolved tastes

I didn't say it would make the show funny, just that the joke would work

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pixaal posted:

Family guy is about loosely related 2-4 minute long jokes. It would be so much better if they ditched the narrative and just made Family Guy into a 5-10 minute Adult Swim show that is on at 2AM. That's basically what it is, only in 30 minute long format for some reason.

Family Guy cannot do callbacks at all, they are terrible at it.

Isn't that just Robot Chicken

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Not all black spacemen can command a room like Sisko, some are just trying to get through the workday like Geordi.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Eiba posted:

Dann lost a lot of the "he's just awkward" benefit of the doubt when he was so self protectively manipulative when Alara actually gave him a chance. It was still funny but it went from "this guy can't read a room" to "this guy will actively make other people feel like poo poo to protect himself from feeling bad feelings, he is a huge rear end in a top hat."

Wait what? Do I need to rewatch that episode?

I kind of feel for Dann tbh, I've definitely been that awkward outsider who tried too hard to get in on the social gathering.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

Apparently. He was going down the red flag checklist.

I just kind of barely remember the date they went on, TBH. I've been meaning to give S1 a rewatch anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ty already has the monopoly on "badass at piano"

e: drat YOU AL BORLAND