Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And it's being broadcast!? For free!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

R-Type posted:

No matter what I say, what I do or how I say it will never ever make up for the Aatrek years sufferance. Remember that well.

Good save!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Gatekeeper posted:

Yeah like in the last Indiana Jones movie when Shia asks Indy "you're a teacher?" and Indy replies "part-time." and the trailer had this great take where Indy said "part-time" in an awesome way but then the take they actually used had him saying it in a really weird kinda wussy way.

I think I whispered, "What the gently caress?" in the theater when that happened.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My local listings have the show airing Sundays at 5:00 and the same episode again at 8:00. Weird! Maybe they're scheduling it like that to account for afternoon NFL games going (really really) long? I'm on the West Coast, so at least I can be pretty sure that games will be over by 8!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That sounds like you're just seeing the listing for the east coast and West coast feeds

I thought that at first, but the (over-the-air broadcast) schedule lists the same channels for both airings, for me:

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/the-orville/EP02695634?aid=zap2it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
West Coast checkin' in to say that was a fine pilot!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The robot is doing a pretty bitchin' Robert Picardo impression!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

vermin posted:

"Aren't your species incredibly racist?"

That's a really natural thing to say and a subtle way of introducing a character trait

To be fair, it led straight into, "What are you doing here if you're so racist?"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And football still, haha.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, and at least now FOX won't preempt itself on the East Coast if a game goes crazy long.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm kind of wondering if they're maybe lying about their species being all-male. Maybe female babies are known to happen and are a source of great shame or something.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That was a very well made episode and I am glad I watched it!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kurieg posted:

Bortus is angry with Klyden not because he "lied" about being male, but that he felt that he needed to hide the truth of his past once he discovered it.

This was a good swerve, by the way, because I expected Bortus to make the former point and was wincing in preparation for the distaste of the "surprise trans" issue. So it was nice when it turned out he was mad about the latter point.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess I see your take on it too but it feels like you're giving them way too much credit.

Fair enough. I feel like I'm giving them an appropriate amount of credit, which is convenient for me, because it let me enjoy the episode a whole lot!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Gordon was very serious about needing a new pair of pants.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wonder what part of California they did all the location shooting in (and when, because it was heavy on green grass and light on wildflowers).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Well it would have been kind of weird for the 1000-year-dead captain to be on stage with the rest of the actors.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kibayasu posted:

Norm Blobdonald

Norm GakDonald?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I want them to do a World War 2 simulation on the holodeck and have Scott Grimes be wearing a patch that says "Malarkey" on it. Like when Richard Speight wore a "Muck" nametag on Jericho.

Edit: Just discovered that the real-life Malarkey just died at the end of last month at age 96. :patriot:

CPColin fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 5, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Bloop posted:

I'm trying to remember what Isaac sounds like and I read all those lines in Kryten's most sarcastic voice.

To me, he sounds exactly like Robert Picardo.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

adhuin posted:

There should be a special episode, Where Orville is the competent team sent to correct mistakes of a truly bottom-of-the-barrel Union ship.

Call it "Lower Dorks."

Aleph Null posted:

What about using Google to search for "facebook.com" instead of just typing in "facebook.com" in the address bar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3bWDBWnPE

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Baronjutter posted:

Is there finally a new episode tonight?

Tonight is the first repeat. Next week is new.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Bloop posted:

They haven't even tried to explain how the ship moves into/out of the mushroom kingdom or why that travel is instantaneous.

Please tell me the foley artist uses a Mario Bros. pipe sound effect for this.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The_Doctor posted:

The Orville keeps up a fine tradition of ‘covering alien bits with a hat’.

Also, Orville: The Gap Generation

Do you think Halston Sage had to have the Alara prosthetics on under that bandage and hat? For authenticity?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Causality is stupid.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Happy Arbor Day.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Last night's episode was good, but it was less good than some of the other episodes. I think one of the problems I had was that the voting system, as described, was a little too much tell-not-show and invited all the, "Wait, how does that work?" questions people have been having. Like, they had the cold open, where the guys get downvoted into oblivion, but later have the public defender take several minutes to explain everything we saw already. I think the concept might have been more intriguing had they removed some of the exposition.

I liked the clothes with the double lapels and quadruple-knotted ties! And how the stuff they replicated on the ship didn't have that, maybe because the intel report missed it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Regy Rusty posted:

Thursday is Good Place and Orville day, I sure as hell look forward to it.

Same. They air back-to-back! It's Must-See TV!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Gynovore posted:

Ehhhh. That wasn't a *bad* show, but it wasn't anything special either. No real insights about Dr. Finn, Isaac, no plot twists about the planet or it's people, no funnies except the gloryhole bit.

So far most weeks of The Orville have been like a good episode of Next Generation with a splash of comedy added. This was like a filler TNG episode with nothing else.

Agreed, on all points.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I have seen "Brothers" and [insert video of Lore going, "I am not less perfect than Lore!" in a mocking tone].

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Is there some other line you all are talking about? Because all I remember him saying is something like, "His body temperature is five degrees above normal."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Bloop posted:

Apparently FOX decided not to air the season finale of the Orville. They are reportedly cutting the season after the penultimate episode and airing the finale as part of season 2.

I know it wasn't a cliffhanger but WTF

also, I imagine there will be some cosmetic changes in season 2 so it might stand out oddly.

Weird.

Classic FOX. Didn't they do this with a bunch of the early seasons of The Simpsons, too? Was that so they could have some stuff to air before that year's Treehouse of Horror episode?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They all look like Gowron :gowron:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Alara's mom was also the first Vorta we see on Deep Space 9.

TheScott2K posted:

Did anyone else notice lowercase "nm" in the lower left corner of the screen during one of the shots where she was alone on the bridge?

Yep. I thought it was a weird watermark, at first. (It's raining and my antenna doesn't do so hot when it's raining.) Shows up in at least two shots in that scene:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I was impressed that the Alara prosthetics were letting Halston Sage move her eyebrows so much, without crinkling or otherwise looking weird!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ha ha I noticed that shot, too, right up her nose!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, I was wondering if somebody was going to yell at Alara to put the fire out with her miiiind.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should watch a Simpsons Shitposting compilation video and call it a season 500 episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Season three still had it, or we wouldn't have gotten, "Mr. Worf, fire!"