Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mllaneza posted:

Alara was awesome, a real delight, and we'll miss her. And at least the character got to leave the crew on a good episode. Honestly, "Home" is great storyteling.
I really wasn't expecting Funny Games on the Star Trek homage show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm fascinated with how it repudiates the casual tyranny of Star Trek in some places and repeats it in others. Remember when Bortus' husband turned in a blameless man to be executed for gendercrime? And then he did a funny dance! Good times.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The most grating thing about Discovery is that it's obviously written by and for dorky liberal overachievers who think everything can be solved by being the most adorkable workaholic I loving LOVE SCIENCE!!! nerd in the universe. Multiple episodes revolve around characters not telling another character something vitally important, because their boss might force them to take a day off of work. I am not exaggerating in the slightest.

Orville only rarely dips into that ideology, like in the episode where LaMarr is destined become chief engineer in spite of himself, because he scored the highest on a standardized test.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 25, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
One thing I do appreciate about Picard and Discovery is that it shows some normal people and that their lives under the Federation ain't so great. Practically every Federation citizen you see in TNG is either a Starfleet officer or a feted scientific expert who arrives wearing a terrible satin dressing-gown.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Capitalism at least provides a frame of reference of "We need access to your raw resources, in exchange we will provide advanced goods" to explain how contact between civilisations at different levels of development could interact in a mutually beneficial way. There's a lot to critique in the theory and practise of it, but it's there to critique. Once The Orville/Star Trek posits 'we're a post scarcity society motherfuckers, there is nothing you can possibly offer us that we care about' then it's trying to craft an anti-imperialism message in a context where all the incentives to engage in a bit of imperialism have been swept away. We are left with a perplexing and inconsisted 'you must suffer in some ways, but not in others, because it amuses us to watch you grow'.
They're not really a post-scarcity society, though; Moclus is allowed to flagrantly violate a bunch of human rights laws because they're the center of the Union's military-industrial complex. The Orville is way more honest and less obtuse about this stuff than Star Trek.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It seems that most Moclans are hermaphrodites, and identifying as male is a purely reactionary thing. Like, they hate females because it's socially useful, for the same reason that one planet hates people who were born in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Considering Klyden's feelings on the matter, I really really doubt it. I mean, most Moclans who were transitioned hide it.